Chapter 38

Destiny

 

 “What do we do now?”

Doojoon’s eyes matched with hers. It was the first time he stared at her properly since he came three hours ago. They had talked, or rather she had talked; about everything from Minho to her feelings to his feelings and he interrupted once in a while, putting forth his words. Tears were shed from the both of them. It was one of the most difficult conversations she had ever had.

 “Honestly,” She waited patiently, fearing the worst. “I don’t know. A lot has changed the past few months and we can’t pick up from where we left off.” Krystal nodded silently. She expected this, she knew it was coming but to have said to her face was a whole other thing. “But I want to work it out, I really do.”

She looked up again. “I know building up the trust again will take time.”

 “The best thing for us would be to take it step by step and we’ll see how it goes,” said Doojoon. He missed her and he wished their relationship could be back to normal but it wasn’t easy. “I still care for you,” he added quietly.

 “Me too,” she said.

They stared at each other silently, their conversation conveyed through their eyes. She was saying how sorry she was. He was saying how unsure he was. But beneath it all, there was an understanding that they both connected on.

Krystal’s phone rang and she abruptly tore her eyes away. It was Suzy. Perfect timing. She most likely wanted to ask how it went with Doojoon.

 “I promised Suzy I’d stay over at hers. Her parents are travelling back to Gwangju for the weekend,” said Krystal. She honestly didn’t want to leave, and would rather choose sitting in complete silence with him.

 “I can drop you off, it’s on the way.”

 “No, it’s only a fifteen minute walk.” Krystal gathered her things and stood up awkwardly. How do I say bye? “Umm, maybe I could… call you later?”

 “Yeah, I’ll be at home anyway.”

 “OK then.”

 “OK.”

She raised her hand in a small wave and he responded with an equally weak wave. She turned and walked away, her footsteps moving cripplingly. If anything, she didn’t feel any regrets. Today went a lot better than she expected.

The sudden hand movement made her thoughts and steps go on pause. She looked down to see her hand in his, the familiar feeling fleeting through. His palm warmed her, from head to toe. 

 “Suzy’s an impatient one,” was all he said. Krystal bit her upper lip and she stayed hushed as she let herself follow after him.

Things were going to be fine. She was hopeful.

They were on their way to being fine.

***

 “Room service.”

Donghae answered and Doojoon stood by the door with the trolley.

 “Your dry cleaning, sir.”

Donghae sneered and ushered him in. “You know where the closet is, put it there. And can you tell the kitchen to hurry up with my dessert, I don’t have all night. Do we, baby girl?” The shrill laughter of an unrecognisable female was heard from the bedroom. That wasn’t Jessica. Doojoon cursed at Donghae in his mind. That’s a different one for tonight. What a bastard.

 “Yes, sir. I will go to the kitchen personally.” He slid the closet doors to hang the dry cleaning when his eyes flew open.

Jessica was crouched in the tiny closet space, her tears streaming. She looked up at him in both fear and relief.  Doojoon’s jaw tensed and he turned to pound Donghae when her arm reached out and stopped him. She kept a finger upon her lips and shook her head.

Please don’t. Don’t tell him I’m here, her eyes pleaded. Her tears kept falling and her grip tightened. Don’t.

 “Hey, can you hurry up out there? I’d like some privacy with my woman!” A few more giggles emitted. Jessica muffled her sobs with her hand and she struggled to stand upright, if it weren’t for Doojoon.

 “Yes, sir. I’ll be on my way.” He checked to make sure neither guest were in sight and with a swift motion of his arm, he pulled the barefooted, crying Jessica out into the hotel corridor. He reached for his master key and brought the both of them to a vacant room.

 “Jessica.” She fell to the floor, and sobbed. Doojoon watched silently as her body racked with tears. She pulled the peach coloured cardigan closer to her as she hugged herself. He pulled her up and placed her on the bed. “How long have you known?” he whispered as he gave her a glass of water and some tissue.

 “Approximately an hour and forty five minutes,” she mumbled. She had planned to surprise him but instead was given a surprise of her own. She ran out of the bathroom and hid herself in the closet, praying that Donghae wouldn’t find her. The next hour and forty five minutes were the agonising sounds of teasing and laughter and she listened, paralysed. His and her voices fluttered through the slits of the door into the small space. “You were right.”

Doojoon shook his head. “No, Jessica, I… that was not how I wanted you to find out. I wish it was another way.” He closed and opened his eyes in regret.

 “It’s not your fault.” Fresh tears squeezed out and her sobbing continued. “If anyone is at fault, it should be me.” Doojoon looked at her in surprise.

 “Surely, you don’t…” She couldn’t be thinking this was her fault? “Jessica, Donghae is an undeserving bastard. It’s him that should take the fall.”

 “No, if it wasn’t my fault, then why is he in that room with another woman and not me?” she cried. “There’s another woman in his bed and it’s not his fiancée! He doesn’t want me!”

He grabbed her arm and she wrenched away, wincing in pain. He took one look at her and knew there was something wrong. “Take off your cardigan.”

 “Wh-what?”

 “I said take it off.” She shook her head profusely and backed into the corner of the bed. Doojoon bit on his lip and slowly slid the sleeves off as she whimpered, still shaking her head. He stepped back, his jaw taut. Black and blue bruises were evident from her shoulder to just before her elbow. It was faint, but it could be seen close enough. There was reason why she covered even though it was a warm summer. “How long?” She didn’t answer. “Goddamn it, Jessica, how long?”

 “He just had a little too much to drink and I was the closest to him, he didn’t do it on purpose,” she explained rapidly. She pulled the sleeves back up. “It was the drink, nothing more. It doesn’t happen all the time.” So, it’s happened more than once. Doojoon’s fists curled, his fingernails digging deep into his palms. "He's not like that."

 “Where else?” Jessica shivered and her lips trembled. “You can’t hide it from me now. Tell me where else he’s hurt you. Wait, he didn’t,” Doojoon closed his eyes as he imagined the worst, “he didn’t touch you in any way did he?”

 “No, no. I stay away when he’s drunk.” He breathed a sigh of relief, but just barely. Here was a woman, helpless and hurting. He had meant to help by telling her of Donghae’s cheating ways, but there was more than the promiscuity. “Doojoon, no one can know.”

He fell out of his thoughts. “What?”

 “Don’t tell anyone. At least not until next weekend when the merger is finalised.”

 “You’re kidding me right? Jessica, this selfish is abusing you emotionally and physically. You’re bruised! I don’t care if he was drunk or high, he has no right to treat you that way. And now you want to wait it out until a business deal is settled? Are you in your right mind?”

Jessica sat down. “You don’t understand. These people are in the public eye; I’m his fiancée. If the press get wind of this, it won’t just be me but his family and my family will get affected. You're my friend. Please.”

He fully disagreed but at the same time he understood. Jessica would get all the hate for she was just the normal class girl who was engaged to one of Korea’s rich heirs. She would be even more of a victim.

 “Just one more week. But if he hurts you again, don’t be surprised if he ends up getting the pounding he deserves,” said Doojoon solemnly. “Give me your phone.”

 “Why?”

 “Just give me your bloody phone.” She reluctantly handed it to him and tried to peer over. “If anything happens, and I mean anything, whether he gets drunk and out of hand, you speed dial number one. Got it? Promise me.”

Nodding, she took her phone and dialled one. His phone buzzed. “I promise.”

***

She woke up abruptly. Her pillow was stained with sweat and her hair pasted itself to her face. It was him. She hadn’t dreamt of him in a long time but suddenly they returned. She reached for her phone and waited for the other line to pick up.

 “It is 3 am, this better be good.”

 “He was in my dreams again. Or rather, my nightmare?”

 “What did he do this time?”

 “Nothing. It was like I reliving what happened before.” She looked out her window on to the empty streets. “It got a bit more frequent since I bumped into him. Do you think it’s some sort of sign?”

 “I really don’t know.”

She crept back into her bed. “You’re dozing off on me, aren’t you?”

 “You have a boyfriend who would love his sleep to be interrupted by you.” Doojoon yawned. “Can we continue this over lunch or something? I only got to bed like an hour ago.”

 “What were you doing till 2 am?” she asked in wonder. He was precious about his sleep almost as much as she was.

 “Your sister, I was talking to Krystal. Now, good night or morning or dusk, whatever.” She chuckled as he ended the call. She slipped out of bed and quietly went to her sister’s room, finding the younger Jung dead to the world. Jessica carefully pried her fingers off her phone and pulled the blanket up, ensuring her sister was tucked in properly. It was a relief seeing her sister patch up her relationship. It could be seen with the happiness she was showing these days. And she could see it in Doojoon too. He was no longer moping and moody.

 “Jessica? What’s wrong? Did something happen?” answered his voice heavy with sleep. She had never called him at such an hour.

 “No, nothing happened. I just… I had a bad dream.” Now she felt silly. Calling up Onew in the middle of the night; all because she couldn’t face a measly dream. She was going to cut the call short when he spoke.

 “What was it about?” He sounded more awake. “Hmm?”

 “It was just… bad. And vivid.” She couldn’t tell him all the details, without having to spill some truth. “I’m being a baby. I’m sorry to have woken you up.”

 “It must have been some dream for you to call me like this. Are you sure you don’t want to tell me about it?”

She sighed. “I don’t really think I could go back to sleep if I talked about it.”

 “You know that just worries me even more? Alright, next time. How about I tell you a bedtime story; the story of a guy called Jinki and his ice cream experience?” Onew's light voice lifted her spirits instantly and she snuggled beneath her covers to listen.

 “You mean the time when you got the flavours mixed up?” 

 “Oh no, that was the other ice cream job. This one I actually jammed the machine and it came out with milkshake.”

***

Omg, a month later. I'm super sorry! This is just a short update. I thought I should at least post something. Anyway, news about Onew and Jungah. While my Onsica heart is ripped and healing, whether the rumours are true or not, I actually am not surprised. Oh well. Thank you for being so patient~!  :)