Chapter 36

Destiny

 

 “It’s definitely great to be back home,” said Jessica happily, dropping her bag and files on to her worktable. “The hustle and bustle of New York cannot compare to my homely tiny office and my amazing co-workers.”

 “I am so thrilled with this Marc Jacobs satchel. How do I pull it off?” asked Key posing in a model manner. Jessica snorted and had her thumbs up. “I’ll pay you the other half once I get my pay check.”

 “No worries, Key. I’m glad you’re happy with it.” Sooyoung walked into the room with a big grin. Her strides got faster as she spotted Jessica eventually wrapping the shorter woman in a hug. “I’m happy to see you too, Choi Sooyoung.”

 “Oh, Jessica! You have no idea how much we’ve missed you around here,” said Sooyoung. “I had no one to go to lunch or share office gossip with. I mean that is the highlight of my working days. It was remotely lost without you around.”

Key grunted and poked her arm. “Excuse me, just the other day you were sharing your relationship details with Changmin.” Jessica turned to her with a look of horror.

 “I did not! Don’t make things up, Kim Kibum!” Sooyoung waved her arms defensively. “Anyway, I think we might be taking the next step. Possibly.”

Jessica gasped. “You mean…?” Sooyoung nodded with a smile.

 “Am I the only one that’s not getting it?” questioned Key.

 “You're getting married?!” squealed Jessica with joy. “But where’s the ring?”

 “He hasn’t exactly proposed yet, but I overheard my mum and his mum talking and the words ring and bouquet were revealed.”

 “Well, that’s a bit of a let-down,” muttered Key. “But I am happy for you, Sooyoung noona. We’ll be getting little MinYoung’s soon, I hope.”

Sooyoung quirked an eyebrow. “MinYoung?”

 “Chang-Min Soo-Young, MinYoung!” Key cowered away as Sooyoung reached over to whack his arm.

 “That is the most unoriginal couple name I’ve heard of, Key!” yelled Sooyoung. Jessica laughed watching her workers squabble at each other. “At least ChangSoo sounds cuter!”

***

Are you busy today? Can I see you? Two hours later, Onew was sitting in his car waiting for Yeeun to come out of her meeting. Her desperate voice called out to him and he didn’t refuse. He couldn’t.

 “Hey, sorry, I had to go do a bit more networking than usual,” said Yeeun as she settled herself into the passenger seat. “Were you waiting long?”

 “Not at all. Have you eaten yet?”

Yeeun shook her head. “I had those canapés at the function but I can’t live off of that for long.”

 “Cool, so Italian is alright for you then?” Yeeun nodded with a smile, Onew calmly driving. “Umm, how are you?” She looked at him quizzically. “I mean, you and your husband.”

 “Oh.” She stared straight ahead, the pause getting longer by the second. “I haven’t spoken to him yet.”

 “Shouldn’t you though? I think you two have to sit down and discuss whatever issues you have,” said Onew. He moved into the slow lane and reduced his speed. “Why do you want to divorce him?”

She kept silent, her eyes still stationed on the road in front. “Because,” she started, “I don’t know if I love him anymore. We’ve been apart for so long, the feelings between us have somehow disappeared. We only see each other four or five times a month and that’s considered lucky if we don’t have a busy schedule.” She sighed. “I don’t feel married.”

 “You can’t just suddenly summon a divorce, Yeeun. That’s a big decision.”

 “And that’s the decision I want.”

He parked the car and switched off the engine, but he didn’t get out. “I still think you should reconsider.”

 “I thought you’d be supportive of my decisions, Onew.” Yeeun opened up the door and slammed it shut. “Be a friend to me, not advise me against it.”

 “And I am trying to be, but just because you two haven’t spent enough time together, you can’t just throw your marriage away like that.”

Yeeun tightened her jaw. “What do you know about marriage? You’re only in a relationship, not tied to a vow.” Her temper was rising and she did not expect Onew to be the cause of it.

 “You’re right, I may not have made a matrimonial vow to Jessica, but I’m still in a relationship nonetheless and a relationship based on trust and understanding,” said Onew carefully. “Believe me; I understand when you say it’s difficult to keep a relationship going. Jessica and I have dealt with long distance from the early stages of our relationship and it was not easy, but we made the effort to work hard on it because we cared for each other.”

 “It’s not the same, Onew.” Yeeun’s lips quivered as she struggled to keep the tears in. “He’s not the same person I married, and I’m not the same person I was when I said ‘I do’.” She leaned against the car, trying to hold herself up as she cried. “We act like strangers and I can’t take it anymore, Jinki, I can’t.” Yeeun sagged herself into his arm as she wept, her tears seeping into his shoulders.

***

 “Funny, huh? I’m in the same country as my girlfriend and we break up, you and your boyfriend across oceans and you’re still together,” chuckled Doojoon leaning back into his seat. “What are the chances.”

Jessica let out a small smile. “It’s not a funny matter, Yoon Doojoon. But I’ll let you off cos’ you could be masking your pain behind the laughter,” she added sarcastically.

 “Oh, Jessica, the psychologist. Shouldn’t you be asking me, ‘and how do you feel about that?’”

 “And how do you feel about that?”

He threw a fry at her. “Shut up! I don’t need to be psychoanalysed right now.”

 “She misses you, you know.” Jessica bit into her burger and watched him. “She made a mistake but you should hear her out.”

Doojoon exhaled quietly. “Would I sound like a grumpster if I said I’m still a bit upset?” She shook her head.

 “No, but it wouldn’t be right if you stayed angry at Krystal without knowing the whole story.” She tilted her head slightly whilst staring at him. “We both know better than to be one-sided, don’t we?” Doojoon looked up and understood the gaze in her eyes.

 “Which reminds me, have you told him yet?” She paused mid-sip and casted her eyes downwards.

 “I haven’t even told my sister, you think I’d tell my boyfriend?”

***

Jessica lay on the lounge chair, watching the exciting nightlife take place. A shadow casted over her and she found a man standing in front of her with a tray.

 “Would you like a re-fill of your lemonade?” She sat up and pointed to the drink next to her.

 “I’ve still yet to finish my pina colada.” The man did not budge and instead placed the glass of lemonade on the side table. “I hope that’s free of charge.”

The man chuckled. “On the house. But I’ll charge for the straw, only you can’t tell anyone.”

 “You didn’t by any chance spike this, did you? Cos’ if I suddenly knock out and I hear stories, I can blame you.”

 “You see my name.” He pointed to his name tag, Yoon Doojoon. She frowned as she looked at him again.

 “I swear I saw you working the front desk the first day I was here and yesterday you were doing housekeeping.” She let out a small chuckle. “And now bartender, what are you, the Jack of All Trades?”

He returned with a laugh. “I am a guy with many charms and abilities; hotel-wise. So, what’s a lady like you sitting by the pool alone?” He took a seat on the lounge chair next to hers. “The nightly dance show is about to end, you better get your groove on before you miss out.”

 “No, that’s not really my thing. I’m just waiting for someone.”

 “Oh, really? Sister? Mum? Friend? Boyfriend?”

 “Fiance,” said Jessica with a proud smile. “He’s at a meeting at the moment and I’m waiting for him to finish.”

 “You’re engaged?”

She narrowed her eyes, a small grin playing on her lips. “You’re surprised?”

 “Well, no, not really. But you’ve been roaming around the hotel alone the past few days, so I thought you were here solo.”

 “You’ve been watching me?” she asked in surprise. She didn’t know whether that was creepy or flattering, or maybe both.

 “I am the Jack of All Trades.” Doojoon took a sip of the lemonade. “You’re missing out on some fun group activities.” The sound of cheers and applause came from the bar as the DJ turned up the music. “So where is your fiancé?” Jessica pointed to the restaurant. From afar, the mass of suited men could be seen.

 “It’s a business dinner so hopefully after it ends we can have some time alone.”

He glanced back at the restaurant with his eyebrows furrowed. “What’s your fiancé’s name?”

 “Lee Donghae.” She beamed as bright as the moon. “I’m sure you’ve heard of him. He comes to this resort every so often.”

 “He does sound familiar,” murmured Doojoon. “You mean Lee Donghae, the son of  the Lee Dongyup?” Jessica’s eyes twinkled as she nodded at his question.

 “So he’s engaged,” said Doojoon whisperingly, the words barely escaping Jessica’s ears.

 “What?”

He looked up with a shake of his head. “Nothing. Would you like me to get you another drink? Your pina colada is almost finished.”

 “This better be on the house,” smiled Jessica. “You drank up the free lemonade.” Doojoon noticed the empty glass and laughed out loud.

***

Doojoon eyed her cautiously. “At the rate of your relationship, Onew deserves to know. They deserve to know.” Jessica pursed her lips as she heard his words. “You didn’t do anything wrong.”

 “Technically I did, but if I tell them then it’ll turn out, I don’t know, worse,” argued Jessica wearily. “I’ve been fine living with it for the past two years, I’m sure a few more years won’t matter.”

 “It’s not the truth.”

 “And so if I tell the truth, no one will hurt?”

Doojoon sighed and shook his head. “Why are you still protecting him? I understand why you did that time, but now? Still?” She caught his voice etched with disappointment and worry. “I should’ve stopped you from making such a decision.”

 “Doojoon, we promised that only the three of us would keep it between us, and I’d like to keep it that way,” spoke Jessica softly. “You may not think it was the best decision, but I did. And one day, I will tell Krystal or Onew and the others. As of now, people know that we ended because I had the jitters and he pulled off the wedding. That’s it.”

 “God, Jessica, why are you such a saint? I should’ve spiked that lemonade the first night I met you,” muttered Doojoon. She nudged his foot under the table and he grinned good-naturedly. “Whatever. I’m always here for you anyway.”

 “I know.” She smiled at him kindly, her eyes extending her gratitude. “Thank you.”

***

 “So, P.S. I Love You or The Notebook?” Onew held up two DVDs and waited for his girlfriend’s answer. “Or we could leave the soppy romance and watch a good comedy like, say, American Pie?” She pulled out another DVD and gave him a chaste kiss.

 “How about we watch a chick flick like Something Borrowed? I don’t want to spend our date night crying and weeping into tissues,” she said teasingly. “Nor do I want you dozing off in the middle of the movie.”

 “I do not doze off! My eyes need a break once in a while,” countered Onew as he set up the video. “And by the way, I stayed awake the whole time when we watched Twilight, as ridiculous as that Edward the Dracula was.”

 “Vampire!”

 “Same thing! They both love blood.” Onew pulled her onto the couch and pulled her to his side. “And I prefer the werewolf guy.” He planted a kiss on her temple.  

 “How was your day by the way?” asked Jessica as she played with his fingers.

He shrugged. “Ah, the same. Work, documents, people, more documents. I met up with Yeeun earlier just now.” Her fingers paused momentarily before continuing. “I haven’t told you this, but she’s planning on getting a divorce.” Jessica pulled away and stared at him in astonishment.

 “She’s married?” Onew nodded.

 “I was as surprised as you are. I don’t want to get into details because I want to spend this date with you but it made me think about how I appreciate you and us.” He moved the strand of hair that grazed her cheek. “Even after all that time apart, we made it work and I’m really glad we did.”

She smiled affectionately. “It wasn’t easy, was it?” He shook his head. She his chin before drawing him into a kiss. “But we did make it work and if anything, Onew, I think it’s made us a lot closer.”

 “You’re right. Even if we had our fights, we still managed to get through those.” He chortled lightly. “What was the last fight we had?”

 “Oh, it was over something petty like me going out with Sohee and Brian.”

 “OK, that was not petty. You say Brian had the hots for Sohee, but I, with my male radar, sensed he had the hots for you.”

 “He was a nice co-worker.”

 “Who is a straight male with an attractive woman working beside him. You don’t think he checked you out?”

She grinned a little wickedly. “So what if he did? I am after all, irresistible.”

 “I am not getting into this, there’s no point because you’re here with me and Brian can go play his eyes elsewhere.” He pouted as he moved his eyes to the screen. She poked his lips and pestered them.

 “You know I love you,” she muffled timidly as she wrapped her arms around him, her head settling contentedly into the niche of his neck. Onew closed his eyes, as he pulled her in closer, basking in the moment.

 "I love you too, Jessi."

***

Thank you to the subscribers and readers. And thank you to those who voted as well! Do check out my other stories if you'd like. Love :)