Chapter 16

Destiny

Jessica didn’t know where she was going. All she knew was she needed to clear her mind. She was feeling a mix of emotions and didn’t know how to deal with them. She went to the one place where she was most comfortable.

 “I thought you had a date?” Key walked over to Jessica’s worktable where she was sat. “It’s only,” he glanced at his watch, “9.30.”

Sighing, Jessica occupied herself by busily sketching. 

 “Noona. Spill.”

 “What?”

 “Whatever’s bothering you. Spill.”

 “It’s nothing. I’m just… trying to add a little something to the bridesmaids dresses.”

 “Dresses were sent to the tailors earlier today. You’ve always been at lying. Tell Dr. Key.”

She carefully thought of how to put it.

 “Onew asked me to be his girlfriend.”

Key raised an eyebrow. “And?”

 “And I said I was sorry.”

Key’s mouth dropped open, and quickly closed. “You what? Oh my God, Jessica Jung that is the biggest blunder you could’ve done!”

 “I didn’t know what to do Key! One moment we were having dinner, the next we kissed and then this question popped out. What was I supposed to do?”

 “Say yes maybe! You like him right?”

She didn’t answer. She didn’t trust her feelings. Not anymore, not after Donghae.

Key cut into her thoughts. “Look noona, let me be honest. You’re an idiot. You obviously like this guy but you’re holding back cos’ you don’t trust your feelings.” Jessica looked at him in surprise. “No I don’t read minds but I just know. Sometimes, you gotta take the risk and follow your instincts.” He shrugged. “You won’t know what the results are unless you take the jump.”

She listened to the younger male’s words and knew the truth was in there. “When did you become such a love expert?”

 “Nicole. If it weren’t for her, I probably would still be a single man, playing around with girls.”

 “Right, cos’ you’re such a Casanova.”

 “Noona, girls were swarming me until Nicole caught my eye and instantly drew me in,” said Key cockily. “And I’m glad she did. Cos’ I really can’t imagine my life without her.” He finished affectionately.

 “So what do I do now? I can’t face him. I’m too embarrassed.”

 “And you’re undecided. Talk to him,” advised Key walking over to give her a light hug.

 “Alright. I guess I’ll do that, thanks.” She gave him a squeeze back.

 “No problem.”

 “So any chance I’d be able to sneak a peek at Tiff’s dress?”

 “Don’t push your luck honey.”

***

 “I blew it. I screwed it up,” grumbled Onew as Sunny handed him a glass of water.

 “She didn’t expect it, so she probably said what was on her mind at that moment,” comforted Sunny.

 “Yeah hyung, it’s not completely your fault.”

 “Jonghyun oppa, are you saying that it’s my unnie’s fault then?”

 “No Krystal, I’m just… you know what, why should I bother arguing with you.”

Sunny squeezed her cousin’s shoulder fondly. “Maybe she needs time to think about it. She’ll come around Onew.”

 “Unnie’s not answering her phone,” said Krystal as she listened to the caller ring.

 “Anyway guys, I’m really thankful you helped me out. I really am.” Onew gave Sunny a hug and reached over to shake Jonghyun’s hand. Krystal raised her in a wave to which Onew reciprocated.

 “I’ll deal with unnie when I get home. In the meantime my ride is here so I better leave.” Krystal got up from the table and said goodbye to the others.

 “Well that’s definitely not Doojoon,” remarked Sunny as she looked out the window at the guest Krystal was greeting. Onew and Jonghyun followed suit.

 “That’s Choi Minho. She’s met him maybe once or twice during our football practices. I wonder how she got know him,” said Onew.

 “Heh, I knew that girl was trouble. I could sense it,” chimed in Jonghyun. He got a whack on the head. “Noona! Not the hair!”

***

 “I screwed up. Big time.”

Doojoon chuckled over the phone. “What happened?”

 “He asked me to be his girlfriend and I said ‘I’m sorry’ and then ran out,” filled in Jessica hastily. She was replied with a laugh.

 “Jessica, what the hell!” Doojoon continued laughing.

 “Yoon Doojoon! This is not a laughing matter!”

 “Oh my God. OK. Sorry.” After some time, he calmed down. “Why?”

 “Why what?”

 “Why’d you say you were sorry?”

 “I. Don’t. Know. I just blurted it out.”

Silence was exchanged.

 “You’re scared.”

Jessica chewed the inside of her cheek. Correct.

 “And you don’t want to risk putting your feelings out there cos’ you don’t want things to repeat.”

Correct again.

 “But at the same time you want things to work out cos’ you really like him.”

Correct once again. Damn this Doojoon.

 “Trust yourself Jessica. Only when you trust yourself, will you be able to trust others.”

 “What are you talking about? I do trust others,” complained Jessica. “I trust Krystal. I trust my girlfriends. I trust my co-workers. I trust you.”

 “That’s not what I’m talking about and you know it,” rebutted Doojoon annoyed. She knew he was right. Key had already told her the same thing.

 “Fine.”

 “Good. Now go do your yoga , that meditation sun salutation crap to get rid of this bad aura.”

She grunted.

 “There we go. Now leave me, my books are feeling neglected.”

***

Onew sat in his apartment, thinking over today’s events. Everything had happened so fast. Did he read the signs wrongly? Maybe he wasn’t supposed to kiss her? Or maybe she felt like he was rushing things? These questions circled in a roundabout fashion in head as he tried to figure out the situation until his phone rang. He picked it up without glancing at the caller ID.

 “Hello?” He hoped it was who was on his mind.

 “Onew! It’s me G.O hyung.” Or not. “How’d the date go?”

 “It was… unexpected.” Onew let out a sigh as he remembered the events that occurred a while ago. “Where are you now?”

 “I’m at the usual bar. Come over. Changmin and Joon are here too.”

 “Alright, let me get changed. I’ll see you guys in a bit.”

 Tiredly, he quickly washed up and changed into a new set of clothes. His phone went off again.

 “Onew.”

 “Hi Sunny.”

 “Oooh oooh, is that how you greet your favouritest person ever?”

 “Hi Sunny!” He said it again, with a forced excited tone to it.

 “Is my Jinki winky still upset?” asked Sunny cutely. He could just imagine her face right now; it’d be like that Puss in Boots from Shrek. Sunny’s special cuteness. He knew she was trying to make him feel better and even though it didn’t do much, he still appreciated the effort.

 “I’m about to head out actually. Meet up with the guys.”

 “Oh yeah? Good. I just didn’t want you to be alone, moping around.”

He searched for a pair of shoes and put them on. “Thanks but I think I need some male bonding time. Get my mind off things y’know.”

 “Yeah of course. You guys have fun alright.”

 “Thanks Sunny. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

 “I’ll be waiting.”

 He kept silent.

 “Jinki? Don’t worry about it OK. Just go and have fun with the guys.”

Their phone call ended and Onew stood there thinking it over again. Sunny was right; moping around wouldn’t help. He just hoped the guys could clear his mind. And a lot of alcohol.

***

 “Did the plan go well?” asked Minho, as she got into his car.

 “Everything was going well, till my sister bailed.” Krystal dumped her bag in the back seat. “I’m really hungry by the way, so could we stop over at like a Subway and get a meal before we head home?”

 “Krystal Jung and food, how does Doojoon hyung deal with you?”

 She made a face then beamed. “Like you don’t know my relationship with food. Remember how we used to always go down to that little dumpling store down the road after school?”

 “Oh yeah! The one with the really nice aunty that gave us free rice cakes. Man I remember how we used to ask her for extra side dishes too.”

 “We? It was you that asked for it. I just wanted the dumplings.” She laughed as they reminisced. “Then we’d go down to the playground and play around till my sister would call and yell at me to come home.”

 “What’s your order?” Minho pulled up at a Subway.

 “A foot-long steak & cheese with everything, and honey mustard except for pickles with whatever drink,” rattled Krystal fiddling with her phone. Giving Minho a short glance she added, “But I want a Subway cookie.”

He reached over and ruffled her hair playfully before going off. Just as he left, Krystal’s phone rang.

Doojoonie Oppa <3

 “Oppa, hi!”

 “Hey babe, where are you?”

 “I’m on my way home after unnie’s thing.”

 “Is someone dropping you off or are you taking a taxi?”

 “A taxi,” lied Krystal. Lying had come so easy for her these days and it wasn’t to anyone but specifically her boyfriend and the growing guilt that came with it was piling up. She was never good at lying but now it just all spewed out so naturally.

 “I’m gonna take a break soon so I was thinking of coming by yours for a bit. I really miss you.”

 “No! I mean, no you don’t have to. You’ve been studying all day and driving over when you’re this tired is not safe.”

 “Umm, OK. Yeah I guess you’re right. I’ve even lost track of the days,” sighed Doojoon. Krystal forced a chuckle and saw Minho making his way over to the car.

 “Oppa the taxi’s about to reach home. So I’ll call you after I’ve washed up OK.”

 “Alright. Love you.” Minho opened up the door.

 “Yeah, bye.”

***

Jessica came out of the shower and the first thing she laid her eyes on were the flowers Onew had given her a few hours ago. She went to find a vase, filled it up with water and picked the flowers out. As she took the wrapping off, a card fell out. Curious, she picked it up and read it.

Dear Jessica,

 I know we’ve only known each other for just over a month, but I just want you to know that I’ve enjoyed each time I’ve spent with you :) So today is a pretty special day and I don’t know what will happen tonight. I could be winning or losing, depending on what your answer is. I don’t really understand the vibe I’m getting right now, except for the fact that I’m really nervous. Hehe. If I end up being really clumsy, well I hope you understand. I’m not the most coordinated guy out there and it wasn’t intentional at all but it’s because you… Does this make any sense? I don’t think I’m making any sense right now. I’ll just stop myself here and I’ve been thinking about how to tell you this. And I concluded that what I’m about to tell you may be a lot easier in writing.

I like you Jessica Jung.

 From, Onew

P.S. Happy 22nd day :)

Jessica swallowed the growing lump in and slowly sat on her bed. It was their 22nd day. And she had no idea. She was already feeling bad but right now at this moment, she felt even worse. 

***