Chapter 28

Destiny

“Knock knock.” Onew looked up from his desk and found Sunny’s head popping out between his office door. “May I interrupt?”

 “Please do,” replied Onew.

 “How’s that coming along?” Sunny eyed the documents in front of him.

 “Slow. But I guess you know that since it was you that passed it down to me.”

Sunny giggled. “You pick out the minor details faster than I do, might as well hand it over to you. Anyway, I’m here because I have some news for you, one I think you might like.” Onew raised an eyebrow suspiciously. “Jinki, stop giving me that look. So, as I was saying, my news. We’re going to have…” Sunny leaned closer with a wide grin set upon her face. “… an office makeover!”

Onew looked back, clearly not as excited as his cousin. “Yay?”

 “Oh my God, Onew! Do you understand what this means? We can work from home! Our offices are the first ones to be renovated so we won’t have to commute to the office every day!”

 “Ahh.” Onew nodded. “Woooh?”

 “Ugh, you are impossible. Whatever it is, I’m going to take this time to have flexi-hours. I’d save time without having to shower, make breakfast, drive through traffic,” she sighed contently. “I hope this renovation takes its time.”

 “So, you’re basically going to be Soonkyu.”

 “Shut up. You don’t know how much effort it takes to look this good. Anyway, what are you doing after work?”

 “I’m dropping G.O hyung off at the car repair shop, then home for a quick shower and change and then out for dinner with Jessica.”

 “I couldn’t possibly tag along could I?” asked Sunny teasingly. Onew’s expression did not change. “OK, I understand, I understand. You two have two days left for ultimate romancing before the LDR starts. Tsk, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little jealous.”

 “What’s… LDR?”

 “Long Distance Relationship, you goon!” came the reply, followed by a slap across his head.

***

 “Hey Krystal! There’s someone looking for you.” Krystal looked away from the notice board and saw Hara standing next to her. “She’s by the front desk.”

 “Anyone I know?” she asked. Hara shrugged.

 “Don’t know. She just said she was looking for a Krystal Jung and I said sure I’ll find you and pass the message on.”

Krystal crinkled her nose wonderingly as she made her way to the unknown guest. She caught sight of a woman dressed in red with matching kill-heels, stood alone.

 “Excuse me, sorry, you asked for me?” The red woman turned and it took a few seconds before Krystal saw who it was.

A hand was extended and Krystal returned the handshake. “Hi! I’m Lizzy. Park Lizzy.”

 “Krystal Jung… but you already know that.”

 “Oh yes, Jiyoung referred me to you. You know Jiyoung right? Kang Jiyoung?” Krystal nodded in response. “I’m a friend of her sister’s actually. Well, she said you are one of this school’s star athletes and I’m conducting a survey and I was hoping that I could ask you a few questions.”

Krystal blinked blankly, playing with the ends of her hair. “Umm, I guess.”

 “Perfect!” Lizzy beamed. “I’ll pass you my number and we can arrange a time to meet up.” She handed a piece of paper with her name and number written on it. “Just buzz me whenever you’re free.” She smiled and waved goodbye, before walking out the university doors. Krystal glanced at the paper in her hand and re-read the contents. She folded it into a square and shoved it into her back pocket.

She needed to find Doojoon.

***

Jessica inhaled the delicious warm aroma of the kimchi stew sat on the table. “Oooh, I am definitely going to miss this.” She grabbed her spoon and took a sip. “Mmmm, yes I am definitely going to miss this!”

Onew chuckled at his girlfriend’s expression. He carefully snuck out his phone and snapped a photo of her. “Hey!” Jessica’s spoon stopped mid-air, with the rice she had tried to steal. She smiled cutely at him and quickly stuffed it in . “That’s my rice!”

 “But sharing is caring!”

 “Sharing is caring, when you ask for sharing!”

 “Ugh, you’re annoying.”

 “You’re annoying.” A spoon was stuck straight into his face and Onew’s lips curved into a small smile before taking a bite. “Thank you.” She grunted before digging in. Dinner continued as usual and then the couple proceeded to their place; the very place they had ended their first official date.

 “I’m suddenly feeling homesick and I haven’t even gone yet,” muttered Jessica. They were sat on the grass, her back rested onto his chest. She felt his hands playing with her hair and sighed. “I’m just excited at the idea of working with such renowned designers and the fun I’m going to have.”

 “You’re sure your cousin’s going to be picking you up from the airport?” asked Onew concerned. Jessica nodded.

 “Yep. I told him the arrival time, flight number and I even described what I’m wearing,” she replied and turned back to face him. “I’m old enough to take care of myself. And I have been to New York before you know.”

 “It’s not wrong to be extra cautious,” he sniffed. He checked his watch and carefully stood up, whilst Jessica followed suit, patting her jeans down. “It’s way past your bedtime, missy.” As she was about to start walking, he glided his arms around her waist and pulled her into an embrace. “I know I’ve gone away so many times, but somehow this time around it feels strange. Don’t go,” he ended cutely.

She laughed casually. “Aren’t you going to be working from home these next few months? I’m sure working elsewhere wouldn’t matter.” He mumbled incoherently into her hair. “But I don’t quite want your uncle chasing after me.”

 “Someone should’ve invented a teleporting machine in this day and age.”

 “Well they haven’t, so we’re stuck with Skype and mobile phones,” said Jessica matter-of-factly, dragging his arm along with her as they walked back to his car. “Come on, Mr. Jinki, let’s get me home.”

***

Doojoon stared at the paper once again. “She is a journalism major, so I don’t think there’s anything dodgy about it. But if you feel uncomfortable then don’t do it. End of.” Krystal folded her arms, slightly annoyed.

 “She’s your ex-girlfriend. Isn’t it weird that she randomly pops up and coincidentally asks for me?” She was not entirely convinced. Something was telling her that Lizzy’s intentions were otherwise. But she didn’t know whether she should follow her gut instinct or not.

 “What, do you want me to go and ask her personally?” asked Doojoon. Krystal sensed his agitation and decided to back down.

 “No. It’s alright. I’ll think about it again. And anyway, I don’t think she knows that I know who she is.” She stuffed the paper into her bag and took a sip of her iced coffee. “Are you and unnie talking now?”

Doojoon shook his head from side to side. “We’re… so-so. I tried calling her the other day, but she was busy I guess.”

 “What’s with her anyway? Me and you are totally fine now, so why is she still pissed off at you since that time? God, my sister is so weird sometimes.”

 “Who knows,” said Doojoon, shrugging his shoulders. He knew why, but chose to not say anything. This was a matter between him and Jessica. He knew Jessica pretty well and talking over the phone would not do. It wasn’t the right way to deal with it. “I’ll talk to her later when I’ve dropped you home.”

And hopefully, by the end of the day, Jessica and him would be back to normal. 

***

Massive apology for the absolute late update! I was away on holiday and yeah, was being quite a lazy one and didn't update. This chapter doesn't really have much happening, just a small filler till the next one. Hope you all had an amazing summer! And welcome back to school! :)