Chapter 19

Destiny

 

 “Hmm, will you look at that. Seems like my sister has just gotten herself a new boyfriend,” said Krystal. “Glad everything worked out and is OK now.”

Doojoon came up behind and wrapped his arms around her. “And us?” Krystal turned around with a questioning frown. “Are we OK?”

 “Of course, silly. What makes you think otherwise?”

 “Well things have been weird lately, between us. And don’t say it wasn’t because it definitely was.”

Krystal laced her arms around his neck and took a good look at her boyfriend. It had been a while since they’d been alone. She realised how much she had really missed this. And him.

 “I really missed you,” she murmured, into his shoulder.

 “Me too.”

 “I’m sorry… about how things were before.”

 “It’s not your fault. I was just so caught up in my school project, I didn’t realise I should’ve made some time for you too.” Doojoon pushed her hair aside and placed a kiss on her forehead. “I promise I won’t be such a workaholic next time.”

 “And I’ll work on doing a better job as a girlfriend,” she said as she smiled fondly at him.

Flashes of the times she avoided Doojoon and the times she had spent with Minho played in her mind.

Krystal leaned in further and let herself soak in his embrace. Just this once, she just wanted to block out everything and let it be just the two of them.

***

 “Way to go dude!” Doojoon high-fived a beaming Onew. “About time you guys took the next step. I can’t believe it took you this long though.”

 “It did not take long.”

 “I can imagine that right about now, Krystal is probably thinking of ways for us to go on double dates.”

 “That… would be interesting. I think.” They watched the girls crowding around Jessica and the high shrill of laughter that was emitted.

 “Take care of her,” said Doojoon softly. Onew twisted his head round, Doojoon still looking straight ahead. “Jessica. Take care of her.”

 “I will,” replied Onew.

 “She’s not weak, but she’s not that strong either.”

 “Yeah.”

 “She’s got a lot of walls around her, so if she trusts you, don’t break it.”

 “I won’t.”

 “Whatever you do, don’t ever hurt her.”

 “I won’t,” repeated Onew, puzzled. Doojoon turned to face Onew and saw the expression he had.

 “I mean, I know this cos’ I’m dating Krystal and I just figured, before she goes to you all ‘you’re dating my sister and I’ll hurt you if you hurt her’ speech comes out, that I’d cover it,” said Doojoon quickly. “But I’m also saying it as her friend. Don’t hurt her.” He finished with a serious tone.

***

Krystal sat down next to her sister with a massive grin on her face.

 “Why… do you look like the Cheshire cat?” asked Jessica with narrowed eyes.

 “Why do you think?” said the still-grinning Krystal. “The sister, who was a Dementor and shipped boys to Azkaban, has left the Dark side.”

 “Gee thanks, I don’t remember souls out of them,” remarked Jessica sarcastically, although deep down she was suppressing her delight.

 “We need to plan a double-date A-S-A-P.”

Jessica raised her eyebrow.

 “What? That’s the whole excitement of couples and other couples… doing things together. We’ve done it with Suzy and Taemin loads of times,” chattered Krystal, her hands moving excitedly. “Movie nights, date nights, theme park rides, more coupley things…” she trailed off as she ran out of ideas.

 “You and Doojoon a-OK?” Jessica asked.

Krystal looked at her boyfriend in the distance, who was doing some indescribable movements, on the dance floor. “Yeah, we are.” She smiled to herself. “I was just being thoughtless.”

“Good. Now, I think we need to wean your boyfriend off the alcohol and the dance floor before he thinks he’s the next Usher.”

***

Sunny tossed her bag on the table, popped open the fridge and headed into the living room, plopping herself comfortably on the beanbag.

 “Water, really?” said Onew.

 “We have to head into work tomorrow, and I think with the double celebration tonight, you don’t need the additional hangover,” said Sunny. “By the way, we’re scheduled for a 9 am meeting on Monday. Just informing you beforehand. I tried to get us out of it, but you know how persuasive President Lee can get.”

 “He’s really working us this time of year,” sighed Onew.

 “Can’t blame him. Stock market isn’t doing too well, and we’re already behind on our to-do list, what with the new group to debut and comeback stages,” Sunny paused as she drowsily nodded her head back and exhaled noisily. “I just… sometimes I just wanna run away and forget about work for one day.”

 “Why don’t you call in sick then? There are people who could always cover for you.”

 “I’d love to, but that would be lying. And unprofessional.” Sunny got up and walked back into the kitchen. “And it wouldn’t be fair on you or the rest of the staff. I am second in charge.”

 “And you’re not a robot,” said Onew as he looked at his drained cousin. “You haven’t had an actual day off since last July. It’s March.”

 “I’ll ask for vacation next month.”

 “We’re travelling to Japan remember? The contract signing?”

 “The final deal we’ve been working on for months.” Sunny pinched the bridge of her nose and lay down on the sofa. “I just wanna do nothing. Just lie around, eat, sleep, watch TV, eat some more, sleep-“

 “Be an absolute loner and make me worry,” said Onew with a slap on Sunny’s head. “Maybe not.”

 “Well you won’t have to worry so much about me now that Jessica’s around,” commented Sunny, tongue sticking out as she playfully poked him. “Jessica and Jinki sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G… first comes… lalalala… I forgot how the rest of it goes. Tiffany taught it to me once.” She caught the whimsical smile on Onew’s face. “I’m happy… for the both of you.”

 “Thanks, this brings me on to another worrying topic.”

 “Which is?”

 “Your love life. Or rather lack of.”

Sunny scoffed. “OK Romeo, just cos’ you got your Juliet don’t start hating on me.”

 “But seriously. You’re playing cupid for others, yet you don’t have anyone to cupidify you.”

 “Is cupidify even a word?”

 “I don’t know. It sounds right though.”

 “You’ve still got some alcohol in your system. You’re making no sense.”

 He yawned and stretched his arms out tiredly. “Maybe you’re right.”

 “You can crash in my guest room. I am not having you drive at this time of night.”

 “Cool. Thanks cousin.”

 “You’re my designated driver tomorrow morning!”

 ***

3 game requests. Ignore. I don’t have time for Facebook games people.

1 unread Inbox.

From Terrence Kim:

 Hi! I noticed your profile picture and you struck me immediately. I also see that you-

Delete. Sorry Terrence, but I… have a boyfriend.

She smiled at the thought and could feel the blush coming on. God, was this feeling ever gonna go away or would this happen every time she thought of it?Like some love-struck teenager. What am I, fourteen?!

Suddenly her phone rang and she reached into her bag to answer it. “Hello?”

 “Hey.”

Jessica sat up straight, heart racing. “Hi.”

 “Hi.”

 “Hi.”

“You said that already.”

She laughed. “I did.”

 “Are you sure you didn’t go overboard with the free alcohol at the wedding?” joked Onew.

 “I think I held my few glasses of champagne pretty well. You home already?”

 “Nah, I’m crashing at Sunny’s. She wouldn’t let me go home in this state and apparently I’m her designated driver, even though she’s not going to be drunk early in the morning. We’re going into the office tomorrow. ”

 “But it’s a Saturday.”

 “Yeah, but we just need to check over a few things.”

 “Well then, you should get some rest and catch some sleep.”

 “So are you free tomorrow, after 2? I’ll be done with work. “

 “I’m actually gonna see Tiffany and Taecyeon before they jet off for their honeymoon, can we make it 2.30?”

 “That’s fine.”

 “So I’ll see you tomorrow,” said Jessica as she happily hopped on one foot and the other. Clearly this happy feeling was going to take it’s time to die down.

 “Are you skipping?”

 “What? No, no. I’m… you should go to bed. “

 “I will… I mean am. Good night.”

 “Wait.” Jessica contemplated on whether to say what she wanted to say. “I forgot… to tell you something.”

 “Mm?”

 She paused. “I like you too, Lee Onew.”

***

I know I've been focusing a lot on OnSica, but the next few chapters (I think...) I'll be getting more into Krystal and Doojoon's relationship. I'm still trying to sort out bits of the story but hopefully I won't screw up and make it lame :S. And as always, thank you to my subbies! Much luv xoxo :)