Chapter 24

Destiny

 “Hey.”

Doojoon turned and saw her standing there, the wind lightly blowing her hair around her face. He jerked his head to the side, asking her to sit next to him on the grass. She obliged and for the next ten minutes or so, they just sat quietly; not a word, not even a slight glance.

 “I’m not going to apologise for what I said last time,” started Doojoon quietly, “but I will apologise for the way I said it. I was steamed and I showed it a little too rashly.” Krystal remained mute, chewing her top lip. “It’s just I’m disappointed more than I am angry, Krystal… failing to answer my question is one thing, and I can let that off but why hide it from me?”

 “Hide…?” Krystal asked unsurely.

Doojoon raised an eyebrow. Maybe Jessica hadn’t said anything. “I know about you and Minho, that you two have been in touch.”

 “Oh.”

 “Oh? That’s all you can say to this? I find out about you and your ex-boyfriend and this is how you reply?” said Doojoon with frustration. “Talk to me, Soojung, we used to be able to talk about everything and anything but our communication lately, has .”

Krystal bit her bottom lip. “I don’t know why I didn’t tell you, couldn’t I mean, couldn’t tell you.” She reached her hands out and lightly grazed the grass absentmindedly. “I know that’s a feeble excuse but I really don’t. I knew I should’ve mentioned it to you but the further time went on, the harder it got to tell you.” Krystal kept her head down and continued. “Don’t think I didn’t feel guilty, because I did, oppa, I really did. It bugged me constantly. I just couldn’t find the right words to tell you.”

 “I wouldn’t have flipped out, Krystal. Sure, I might have been a little pissed off and uncomfortable with you hanging out with him, but it’s not like I would’ve stopped you,” said Doojoon. “We go to the same university, we train together on different sports teams, we even share mutual friends, so obviously we’re or you’re bound to bump into one another. That’s one thing neither of us can avoid.”

It dawned on her just then, how immature she had been all this while. She had always thought she was smart in making decisions, especially when it came down to ones that would dictate her life.

And she had taken much pride in the relationship she had with Doojoon. He wasn’t just her boyfriend, but her best friend (well, second best friend, Suzy would not be pleased otherwise), her opposite. Doojoon’s last words were another reason why she realised she loved him. He always saw the big picture and was very tactful with everything he said or did. Mature, would probably be a better word to describe him at this moment.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, her voice trembling. “I’m so sorry I acted like an idiot. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I’m sorry I wasn’t the first one to apologise. I’m sorry I lied to you.” By this time she was sobbing quietly, her eyes blurry as the tears clouded her view. “I still love you, oppa, I’m so-sorry.”

 “Shhh, hey, hey,” soothed Doojoon, cuddling her in his arms as he her hair. “It’s alright, shh.” He cupped her tear-stained face, and looked at her, truly looked at her. He was still a little upset, but he hated seeing her cry. “Just promise me, you won’t keep anything from me again? Please, Soojung?”

She nodded, hiccupping as she did so. Doojoon slid his arms around her and set his chin on the top of her head, feeling her body move as she breathed in and out. It was moments like these where everything just seemed a lot better.

***

 “I can’t believe I didn’t join Yuri when she asked to go baby shopping for little Hyeri,” said Tiffany in awe, picking up a cute pair of baby shoes. “Look at this; it has a little teddy bear on the side.”

 “I can’t believe you’re already knocked up.” Key picked up a pink baby nightie. “Now, noona, these are awesome.”

 “Wow, thanks Kibum. I appreciate that.”

 “Always a pleasure.”

Jessica held out an alphabet chart a little excitedly. “I’ll get the little one this.” Tiffany and Key looked at each other before shaking their heads simultaneously. “Early learning is crucial to a growing child!”

  “She makes a good point, noona.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes, waving away the comment. “Whatever. Listen, I really need you guys to be on the lookout for me… meaning warn me when you think I’ve overdone the shopping. Taecyeon’s going to blow a fuse if I overspend.”

 “But that’s the whole point of a new baby! It’s your first child,” said Jessica. “Why’s he being a stingy bum anyway… it’s not like we dragged him out to shop, which he totally hates.”

 “It’s not that. Today, we’re solely finding baby attire. The crib, baby dresser and all the other furniture items, I have to go with him,” explained Tiffany, her eyes focused on the line of garments. “If he saw me right now, he’d say ‘Tiffany, do we really need to, we have Michelle and Yuri’s kids old stuff’… stuff? I don’t want everything to be hand-me-downs!” She pulled out a yellow baby romper that had ‘I heart Mummy’ on the front. “Awwww…!”

 “Your child is going to be so spoilt.”

 “Oh, don’t you start talking now, mister! You’re way worse than I am when it comes to shopping.” Tiffany glanced at around and made her way to the baby toiletries. She picked up some bottles up and sniffed them. “Do you think the baby would prefer chamomile or lavender?”

It was Jessica’s turn to roll her eyes. “I don’t think the baby would care what,” she grabbed the bottle off Tiffany, “lavender smells like. As long as it’s baby safe, baby smelling and baby washable.”

 “Someone’s a grouchy monster,” chimed in Key.

 “Tomorrow could possibly decide my future with Onew, how can I not be in the mood?”

 “It’s just parents. No big deal.” Tiffany and Jessica swatted their arms towards Key, who swiftly managed to avoid it. “I didn’t get all hyped up when I met Nicole’s parents.”

 “That’s cos’ you two were friends from before and you’re like best friends with her mum any way.”

 “Mum’s have this weird sixth sense and can figure out a person instantly,” said Tiffany. "especially when it comes to their boys. Just be yourself, Jessi.”

 “And don’t mention you can’t cook, you could get yourself blacklisted.”

And Key found himself powerwalking around the store away from a fuming Jessica, with Tiffany chuckling by herself getting back to her baby duties.

***

 “You know what you have to do now right?” Suzy asked, whilst tucking herself into a hotdog. “And you better do it soon.”

 “Yeah… I will,” muttered Krystal, her mind preoccupied with other thoughts rather than the conversation she was having.

 “It’s for the best.”

 “Mmm.”

Suzy glared at her. “She’s not listening to me is she? Taemin oppa, can you further emphasise the issue at hand please.”

 “Uhh…” Taemin was unsure about his sudden involvement, but knew the dangerous tone his girlfriend had. “… do as Suzy tells you.”

 “OK. I get it.”

Suzy, still not convinced, snatched Krystal’s phone off the table and quickly typed something; the ‘ping’ from the phone meant a message had been sent. Krystal grabbed the phone and checked for the addressee, Minho, with the following content: Hi, Monday 6pm at the uni basketball courts. C u there.

 “Bae Suzy! Why the hell did you have to do that?” yelled Krystal.

Suzy folded her arms satisfyingly, casually leaning back in her seat. “Because otherwise, you won’t do it. You have to sort things out with him, Soojung.”

 “I don’t see why any of this is your business.”

 “You’re right, but I’ve basically involved my life into your life ever since middle school, and somehow we’ve intertwined our lives into one bubble,” said Suzy, ignoring the look of annoyance crossing her best friend’s face. “So even if you pull a fit with me, I won’t give a . It’s something we’ve gotten accustomed to in the bubble.”

“Taemin oppa, can you please take her away before I rip her head off.”

He threw his hands up in defeat. “As of five minutes ago, I was never here. You two were in your bubble.”

Suzy grinned, her hands wiggling teasingly and her eyes shining. “You see, our bubble. You and me. Suzy and Krystal. The bubble.”

Krystal face palmed herself; sometimes she wondered how anyone could understand Suzy’s 4-D personality.

***

Doojoon:

Hey, it’s me. FYI, I’ve made up with Krystal, which I’m sure you already know. So yeah… um… I heard you’re heading over to Onew’s place… uh… good luck! Talk to you soon OK.

Jessica sighed as she heard the end of Doojoon’s voice message. They still weren’t on talking terms and she didn’t know when they would be. Still a little sore from last time, she had carefully avoided him at all costs. She had a lot on her plate and as much as this bugged her, there were other issues she had to tackle. Other than meet-the-parents, there was…

 “Anything on your mind?” asked Onew, his eyes focused on the road.

 “Uhh, no.” Yes, I got an internship and… “Just gazing. Out the window.”

 “Are you sure? You’ve been quiet since we got into the car.” Jessica continued staring out the window, keeping mum. “You’re not backing out on me right now are you?” he asked.

Jessica turned her head abruptly towards him. “No! I’m excited. Really.” Onew raised his eyebrow, with a playful grin. “Obviously I’m a little more tense. I just, I really want to make a good impression,” she said worriedly.

 “And you will,” he commented reassuringly.

 “There’s another thing I have-” Onew’s phone interrupted her sentence and he made a face in apology whilst he answered it.

 “Hello? Yeah, I’m just about to turn into the street… uh huh… oh… there, already? I’m parking now… see you inside.” The call ended and he proceeded to getting his car stationed. “G.O. hyung, he’s arrived already, with Jieun.”

 “Oh OK.”

 “What were you saying just now?”

Jessica shook her head, quickly deciding that this was not the appropriate time. “Later.” She smoothed down her dress, and carefully walked up to the front door, gifts in hand. Onew reached for her free hand and gave it a light squeeze, which calmed her nerves down, barely.

 “Jinki-yah!” A light, cheery voice called out to him. Onew ran up to his mum and embraced his mum, happy to be back home.

 “Mum, dad! How have you two been?”

 “Ah, you know your old man trying to keep young.”

Onew turned around and saw Jessica standing at door, looking slightly scared. He smiled and walked over then bringing her to his parents. “I’d like you to meet Jessica,” he said proudly.

Jessica bowed and smiled. “Hello, I’m Jessica. It’s n-nice to meet you. I got you a little something, I hope you like them.”

 “So, this is the other woman after my boy’s heart?” said Onew’s mum. Jessica looked up startled, whilst Onew and his dad chuckled. “It’s lovely to finally meet you, my dear. Please, please come in! Don’t be shy! And thank you for the gifts, how thoughtful of you.”

 “Yes, Jessica. Come in, come in. The barbecue is at the back garden,” said Onew’s dad. “Hurry up Jinki, be a proper host! We'll be right out, in a bit.” He winked at the young couple teasingly.

Onew took hold of her hand, and she carefully pulled away. “I don’t think we should hold hands… not now,” she whispered, her eyes pointing towards his parents.

 “I want to. It’s OK, you passed.” She slapped his arm, and shyly linked her arm with his. “G.O. hyung!”

 “Well, well, look who finally turned up! Hi Jessica!” greeted G.O. with a friendly wave. “Parents went well I suppose?”

She chuckled. “Only the first phase, oppa. Where’s Jieun?”

 “She’s gone to the kitchen… you know her and snacks. It’s through the door, right there.” Jessica glanced at Onew and he blinked as if to answer her question. She gladly went towards the door before finding herself colliding into someone.

 “Ouch!”

 “Oooh! Sorry about that, I didn’t see you there! Oh, Jessica right?” Jessica rubbed her head as she tried to focus on the person in front of her.

 “Uhh, yeah you…”

 “It’s me, Yeeun,” The short-haired redhead smiled. “You remember me, right? We met the other time.”

Her eyes gained focus and she took notice of the waiting figure in front. Yeeun… Onew’s friend. “Oh yes, of course, the last time.”

Yeeun beamed. “How are you? You came with some friends?”

 “No, I’m... I’m here with Onew.”

 “Oh. You are.” an awkward silence fell between them.

Jessica cleared . “I’m sorry, but I need to find someone.”

 “Oh please, go on. I’ll look for Onew.”

Jessica was about to speak, but stopped herself as she saw Yeeun happily greeting Onew, who in return looked equally as happy. She stood there for a few seconds observing the two exchange words. She felt her heart feel a little uncomfortable but she pushed it away as quick as it came.

They’re friends. Just friends.

***

Finally got round to updating! I've got exams going on, so my brainstorming isn't as strong as it should be =S. Doojoon and Krystal made up, but there is some unfinished business bothering them... and it's not to do with one another. Jessica is still hesitant on telling Onew about her internship, but why? Hmmm... And I love Key! I honestly think he'd be the perfect best friend, with his honest remarks haha! Suzy's cute. I love her on Invincible Youth, and thought I should bring her one of a kind personality in here. And a teeny intro of Yeeun. She'll be popping up once in awhile.

Oh and one more thing... f(x) OH MY GOD! I love it. I just LOVE it! I can't wait for the MV and their stages. What did you guys think of Electric Shock? Is anyone excited as I am?! Heehee. 

As always, THANK YOU to my subscribers, old and new ;] and do leave comments; good or bad, I appreciated them all! Love :) xoxo