Chapter 10

Destiny

 “Things any better with Krystal?” asked Tiffany sniffing the scented oils. She picked one and shoved it under Jessica’s nose.

 “No. Neither of us has waved the white flag. I prefer the mango papaya scent.”

 “Jessi, you know she’s kinda right though.”

Jessica kept quiet, busying herself.

 “Just because Donghae did what he did, doesn’t mean every other guy out there would do the same thing. You guys just weren’t destined for each other.”

 “Spare me the destiny crap, Tiffany. I know there are men out there but I’m just… not ready,” said Jessica exasperatedly. It was bad enough she was not on talking terms with her sister, but having to hear the same thing from her best friend. She hated the nagging. And the fact that they were right. “How y is this smell? Weird, it’s raspberry yoghurt.”

 “Yoghurt? Mmmm, smells really nice. And when is this ‘not-ready’ period going to end?”

 “Whenever the right guy comes along.”

 “Which is like never! You’re not even meeting guys, so how the hell is Mr.Right going to come around?”

 “Well according to you, if destiny permits it, Mr. Right will pop up somehow,” retaliated Jessica.

***

 “Hey, where are you? Scented oils? Why?” asked Sunny, “I need ideas for the group comeback and I’m lost with the styling concept. I really need your expertise. Today please? You’re a star! And get me one vanilla! Ciao!”

Someone knocked on the door. “Come in!” Onew stuck his head in. “Jinki.”

 “Soonkyu. I just wanted to check up on you. You haven’t left the office since this morning. Group concept?”

Sunny nodded, with a worrisome expression on her face. In four hours she had come up with only 2 ideas and none of them were any good. She scratched her head in distress. “Why did I take up this job! I should’ve just stayed at Grandma’s farm, catching chickens, planting lettuces and tomatoes.”

 “Why don’t you take a breather? Go out for a walk and clear your mind. An hour away won’t make any difference if you can’t come up with anything.”

 “I still need to proofread those files Sooman samchon passed me.”

 “I can do that. I’ve still got 30 minutes of my break anyway,” assured Onew, dragging Sunny out of her chair and to the elevator. “Get me an Americano on the way back.”

 “Yessir! I’ll see you in a bit then,” Sunny waved as the doors shut.

Onew set himself down at Sunny’s desk starting on the work she left. An hour and a half had passed and he was just halfway through the files. He looked up when he heard the sound of heels clicking in the corridor. Must be Sunny.

He opened the door. “Is that my America-… Jessica?” He was greeted by the blonde female.

 “Oh hi, Onew! Sorry no Americano here, will scented oils do?” she said, raising her arms showing off her shopping bags.

 “Ah no, I thought you were Sunny returning,” he said, mentally slapping himself for looking like an idiot. “What are you doing here?”

 “Sunny called me up earlier. Said she needed some help with a new concept, so I came.”

 “Well she’s out for a break but she’ll be um back soon. So uh go ahead and make yourself comfortable,” stuttered Onew nervously. Why the hell can’t I speak properly?

 ***

Doojoon sat at the café, sipping his coffee, watching the crowds of people bustle through the streets. He glanced at his watch. 4.30pm. The appointment was at 4.45.  

 “Hello Doojoon oppa!” greeted a voice. Doojoon looked up.

 “Hi Lizzy. Take a seat. Anything you’d like to order?”

 “I thought you’d know my favourite,” said Lizzy, smilng flirtatiously. “I’ll have an iced latte.”

 “So what did you want to talk about?” asked Doojoon. He wasn’t sure why he was meeting with her. She called him previously and said she wanted to talk.

 “I thought, it’s been some time since we’ve hung out, why not catch up.”

 He sighed impatiently. “Lizzy, I’m really busy OK. I’ve got school deadlines to meet and I don’t have time to chit-chat uselessly.”

 “Oh but you will. If you have time for Krystal, I’m sure you have time for coffee with an old friend.”

 “Don’t bring my girlfriend into this. Just get to the point,” Doojoon folded his arms and glared at the girl opposite.

 “Fine. I want,” she took the straw out to it clean then pointed it at Doojoon, “you back.”

***

 “Can we… slow… down. I… can’t… breathe,” panted Suzy, stumbling on to a bench flagging her arms as a signal. “Krystal, break. I need… a break. Breathe… me…”

 “You need to work on your stamina.”

 “My… stamina is… fine.”

 “Explains your short of breath.”

 “Whatever. Water. Water. Thanks,” Suzy gulped down the water. “So did you apologise to Sica unnie?”

 “No. And I don’t intend on doing so,” grunted Krystal. Breakfast was quiet, dinner didn’t exist with practice and work being the excuse. Basically it was all very tense. “I know it was harsh, but I just couldn’t keep it in that time.”

 “This has to be the longest you guys have gone without talking. I remember that fight you had last time. 4 days of no talking and you were dying.”

 “That was over money. This is her life,” said Krystal. “Let’s talk about something else please.”

 Suzy clapped her hands in excitement. “I got a date for the uni formal. You know that guy in our composition class? Lee Taemin. Oh my god, so cute!”

 “Isn’t he a dance major?”

”Yep, major hottie and oh my god so hot,” gushed Suzy, “By the way, I didn’t want to tell you this but I noticed Minho’s been checking you out. You should be careful.”

 “What? That’s crap,” said Krystal with a snort. “He’s not. He knows I have a boyfriend.”

 “Just because a girl is taken does not stop men from looking at her,” remarked Suzy. “And knowing you guys have a history together makes it all the more likely.”

 “I think you,” Krystal tugged on Suzy’s ponytail, earning a yelp from the girl, “should focus on getting Taemin to be yours ASAP. Let’s get something to eat. I’m starving.”

***

Onew entered the office and saw Sunny and Jessica sitting on the couch discussing plans.

 “Here you go,” Onew handed a cup of coffee and bottled water over to Jessica. “I wasn’t so sure which one you’d want so you can take your pick.”

 “Ahem.”

 “I didn’t know you returned and you owe me an Americano.”

Sunny scoffed and pointed to her desk. “It’s there and I bought you a chocolate muffin too.”

 “Bonus.”

 “Sarcasm?”

 “Affection.”

“I don’t want to ruin the cousinly love but don’t we have a deadline to finish?”

 “Woops, sorry Sica,” said Sunny. She grabbed a pen and notebook and sat back down. “Onew, you can leave.”

The girls glanced at him, waiting for his exit. “OK. I guess I’ll take my leave then. Heh. Um call me if you need anything.” He marched to the door, and accidentally whacked his hand against the door handle in the process. He flinched as he clasped his hand in pain, turning around to smile embarrassingly at the girls, before legging it.

 “He’s so funny,” Jessica giggled, as Sunny looked at her in wonder.

They worked non-stop, throwing ideas around; mixing and matching, agreeing disagreeing. After much debate they had finally come to a few core concepts.

 “Sica-yah, I don’t know what I would’ve done without you,” said Sunny gratefully, “What took me 2 days we did in,” she glanced at her watch, “3 hours.”

 “No problem. It’s a new experience for me too,” she looked out the window and saw that it was getting dark. “I should go. Back to the warzone.”

 “No changes huh?”

Jessica shook her head. “The tension is killing me. I hate that we’re not talking.” She sighed tiredly. “Don’t give me that look. I know she’s right.”

“You’re both just stubborn. Anyway I’ll let you know when we’ve decided on a concept. Then I’ll give your boss a call and set up the finalities.”

***

She stepped into the elevator and pressed the buttons, when the doors were stopped by a hand. “Hold up!” She pressed the ‘Open’ button quickly.

 “Thanks. Jess-ica, h-hi!” Onew greeted stiffly. He stood next to her, facing the door. “The discussion went well?”

 “Yeah. We just need the final decision is all.” The journey continued in silence. Reaching the ground floor, they got out of the elevator.

 “Have a good- “

 “Good ni-“ they spoke at the same time, then laughed embarrassingly.

 “Ladies first,” started Onew.

 “I was just going to wish you good night that’s all,” said Jessica.

 “Well then you get home safe,” Onew waited for Jessica to leave first.

 “Hey Jessica,” she stopped and turned. “Do you… wanna have dinner with me sometime?” She raised her eyebrows, in surprise. “Or, or co-coffee. If dinner’s too much.” She’s gonna say no. She’s definitely gonna say no. Who are you to ask her out on a date anyway? Lee Jinki you should’ve kept your mouth shut.

 “I’d love to.”

***

Double update! Also congratulations to the GDA winners. Especially proud of f(x), B2ST and Infinite! (Sorry slight favouritism there). Loves :)