Agreement - Developments - Misunderstood

Tangled

The Lee brothers slept later than usual so they got a bit late and Sunggyu arrived at school at the last second. He was the one a bit slow (sleepy) and Woohyun was still a bit quiet so they didn’t interact much in the first half of the day. During lunch, the kids finally interacted and Sunggyu discovered Woohyun was thinking deeply about Myungsoo’s suggestion but he didn’t want to keep talking about that. On the other hand, Woohyun also discovered that Sunggyu would change the song he would sing at the festival and he was very surprised about it.

“Why?” He asked puzzled.

“I just want it.”  Sunggyu shrugged mysteriously. He didn’t want to say he wanted to  in on Sungyeol and Myungsoo's relationship, his friend might not like it and he thought it was better to explain only after he sang the song. 

“Will you have time to rehearse another one?” Woohyun asked worriedly.

With this question, Woohyun pointed to something that Sunggyu hadn’t thought about at all. He didn’t want to sing in front of Woohyun because he would discover his intentions and he didn’t want to sing in front of Sungyeol because it would be a surprise. But then... when and where he would rehearse? Also, how would he get the instrumental part to play?

These questions consumed Sunggyu for the rest of the day and he ended up forgetting about the invitation he was supposed to make until he spotted Sungyeol at the end of the day. He briefly scolded himself for forgetting such an important thing but asked once Sungyeol was close enough. Woohyun wanted it, it was clear in his eyes, but he wasn’t sure he could, he had to ask his grandparents.

Luckily the elders arrived before Sunggyu could grab his bag and Sungyeol warily watched Woohyun ask his grandparents for permission. Bumsoo and Sonmi shared a look, one that almost killed both boys and the tall adult hopes. “If it was on us it would be ok, but I think we should ask Myungsoo about it.” They end up saying.

Woohyun wanted to protest and ask why they needed to consult Myungsoo but deep inside he knew they were right and that Myungsoo was the one that was actually in charge. For him, it was over then, even though his grandparents assured him they would call their son and ask once they arrived home.

They walked out of the school in a group. The boys walked a few steps ahead with Sunggyu trying to keep his friend's hopes up while the adults walked behind, talking among themselves. Bumsoo and Sonmi tried to justify their decision but Sungyeol let their speech enter by one ear and leave by the other. There was nothing to justify, Sungyeol knew Myungsoo was the father and that it was his word that counted. Besides, he was aware that the last happenings in his apartment left Myungsoo’s trust a bit (not to say very) broken even if he, in theory, had forgiven him.

The way to the parking lot near the school never seemed so long when the elder couple was talking in his ears, but Sungyeol felt extra glad to spot his car when they started asking when he and Myungsoo would sit down and talk about their issues.

“When Myungsoo is ready, but when you ask him about Woohyun, tell him I’ll do my best so they can study a bit.” Sungyeol simply replied (trying his best to pretend he wasn’t a bit annoyed) before saying goodbye to Woohyun and grabbing Sunggyu by the hand in the car direction.

Later, after Woohyun was bathed and fed, Sonmi called her son to consult him. Myungsoo seemed a bit surprised to hear the news but then he was silent over the phone for about a minute. 

The young dad could listen to his brother inside his brain, telling him that he shouldn’t take Sungyeol and Sunggyu's friendship away from Woohyun. Moonsoo was right, he shouldn’t. Besides, it never worked and it wasn’t like he wanted to prohibit it because of his trust (or lack of) in Sungyeol either. When Myungsoo thought about the moment he was told Woohyun ran away, he could see the desperation in Sungyeol's eyes, then guilt and he made sure to apologize.

It wasn’t like the tall neighbor would win any ‘father of the year’ award but, from the first day Woohyun was welcomed in his apartment, his son was taken care of. Sungyeol often returned him bathed, with homework done, and with teeth brushed as well. Besides, after Woohyun discovered the truth, Sungyeol was the key to any damage control done. The problem this time wasn’t Sungyeol… the problem this time was Woohyun himself. How could he trust the boy wouldn’t try to run away again even if Sungyeol would keep his eyes on him 24h?

“Myungsoo? Myungsoo?” Sonmi called before addressing her husband. “I think there is a problem with Myungsoo’s phone...”

“I’m still here.” He mumbled. “Mom, can you put Woohyun on the phone?” She sighed. He could hear her whispering something and Woohyun seemed to be complaining but in the end, he heard the phone being passed on. “Woohyun?” 

“Yes.” The boy begrudgingly replied.

“I heard you were invited for a sleepover at our neighbor’s place, is that true?”

“Yes.” Now Woohyun seemed slightly interested in that conversation.

Myungsoo sighed deeply, not knowing how exactly he should talk and explain his concerns but Woohyun took that as a sign that he would get a no, and, a couple of seconds after he battled his pride, he begged. “Please!”

“Why do you think I should give you permission?” Myungsoo asked or more like offered the boy a chance to convince him. 

Because they were his friends? Woohyun wanted to say but in the end, he remembered that Myungsoo had fought with Sungyeol. He stopped caring about that fight once he discovered the truth about his origins and so far he didn't need to think about it because he was seeing Sungyeol and Sunggyu as much as he wanted. But, perhaps he was only seeing them because his grandparents were allowing it. Maybe Myungsoo didn't even know they were coming. If that was so, Myungsoo could get mad, and then the chances of him sleeping over were zero.

Woohyun hesitated, thinking about the best way to convince and which words to use but in the end, he decided to say at least part of the truth. With a last suspicious look at the grandparents in ear length, he whispered to Myungsoo.

"They are becoming too much." The boy said, trying not to mention Sungyeol just in case and hoping that he didn't need to explain who were 'they'. Woohyun loved them, but they weren’t like that when they lived together in the past. Well, not that he remembered.

His parents becoming 'too much' didn't surprise Myungsoo, if he wasn't there to hold their horses it was bound to happen. What surprised him was that more than their talk, Woohyun (consciously or not) made it clear what he would choose. He could be happy but it didn't bring peace to his heart. He wanted Woohyun to want to live with him and not be the last option because every other option .

After a sigh he tried to push these thoughts away, they weren't needed now and Woohyun was waiting for an answer. "I don't know Woohyun, I don't know." He confessed.

Woohyun pouted on the other side. He overcame his pride because Sunggyu asked and because he wanted some time away from his grandparents but now this ‘I don’t know' seemed like a real ‘no’. He hesitated a bit but decided to ask why, at least that way he could consider the reason for his decision. If he didn’t get to see his neighbors while living with Myungsoo, maybe he could endure the grandparents to keep meeting with his friends during the weekend, no?

“Is it… Is it because of Sungyeol hyung? Are you-are you still fighting?”

Myungsoo sighed deeply, he didn’t want to talk about Sungyeol, especially when Woohyun didn’t know many things that happened between them, so he decided it was time to explain a bit of the current situation. 

I’m not gonna lie. Even if my project is over, things between Sungyeol hyung and I are not the best at the moment, but this has nothing to do with my problem with him.” Woohyun raised a confused eyebrow but it was not like Myungsoo could see. “I don’t want to prevent you from seeing your friends Woohyun, the problem is not them.”

“Then?” The boy asked completely puzzled.

“The problem is that the last time you were in their apartment you ran away.” He said with frustration. Woohyun was surprised by that answer to the point that he became speechless for a few seconds but, when he was ready to argue, Myungsoo was quicker. “I know that you discovered things that were a disappointment for you and that played a big part in your actions, but how can I be sure you won’t do that again?”

Woohyun pressed his lips together and looked down at his feet. “I won’t.” The boy said in a whisper but that wasn’t enough for his father.

“If it was any other time I would believe you, but… you know that things changed… my trust in you is a little shaken too...” Myungsoo said with a regretful tone. 

Even if it was not an expressive ‘no’ Woohyun was already expecting a negative answer and was sort of prepared to hear. Deep down he understood what Myungsoo was trying to say, after all, he felt different about the elder as well.  Despite knowing that feelings changed, the couple of conversations he had with Myungsoo made it clear that not everything changed. Even if they were not talking like they did before, Woohyun could explain and ask things and, when that didn’t work, he could try to bargain as a last resort. Well, at least that was what he could do before, he was not sure it would work now.

Woohyun bit his lips as he tried to control his pride and while he thought about what would be the best words to try to bargain, it was Myungsoo that surprised him with one. “How about we both compromise with something?”

That caught the boy's interest quickly and he felt relieved that he didn’t need to be the one asking for a bargain. “How?”

“I’ll permit you if - aside from promising you won’t run away and that you’ll behave over there - you accept to spend some time with me. What do you say?” Myungsoo said and he could hear a sound that made it clear Woohyun didn’t quite like it so the young dad decided to add something. “It doesn’t need to be just us, Moonsoo and Sunggyu can come if you want it.” Well, that sounded better but before Woohyun could reply or complain the elder continued. “Moonsoo mentioned he would visit you to watch a movie, but I can ask him to take you to the movie theater instead, maybe have some ice cream… that will give you a bigger break from your grandparents.”

If the first offer was a bit tempting the second was irrecusable. But, even if he would gain many things from this bargain, Woohyun's efforts to ‘hang out’ with Myungsoo still seemed too great. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath to gather his courage and tried to bargain a little more. 

“Then I want Sungyeol hyung to come too.” Woohyun knew the two elders were ‘fighting’ but he wasn’t thinking much about forcing them to make up. What he wanted was to make Myungsoo feel as awkward as he would 

Things would be awkward for him, it would be fair if things would be awkward for Myungsoo too.

The young dad's first reaction was to be annoyed but he forced himself to remain unbothered. “Ok then, he can come if he wants to.” Myungsoo dared even though he had no plans to meet the elder in the presence of other people. His brother was right? Yes. He needed to talk to Sungyeol at some point (even if it was just to thank him)? Yes, but he and Sungyeol needed their conversation to be private. and he thought he could arrange that behind Woohyun's back in exchange for a no, right? “But I’m not gonna be the one inviting him.” Myungsoo made it clear.

Woohyun seemed a bit surprised that the elder quickly accepted but if the elder didn’t complain then he had nothing more to think. “O-ok.” 

“Then promise me,” Myungsoo said firmly.

“I-I promise.”

”Can I trust you?” Myungsoo pressed just to be sure.

“Yes!”

“You have permission then, now pass the phone to your grandmother so I can inform her.” Woohyun was still a bit stunned but quickly did what he was told, he didn’t want to and didn’t need to talk to Myungsoo more than he already did. Besides, he couldn’t quite believe that he just agreed to spend some time with the elder… when that would be?

“Myungsoo?” Sonmi asked as she observed the boy return to his room trying to skip but at the same time scratching his neck nervously. “What did you tell him? He looks a bit weird.”

“I just gave him permission to have a sleepover with Sunggyu, so be sure to prepare some extra clothes for him ok? I’ll call the school and give permission, so you don’t need to worry.” Myungsoo informed her. 

“You what?” She gasped in surprise. She was trying to keep up with things between Myungsoo and Sungyeol (with both sides, although both didn’t feel like talking) so she suddenly felt lost when Myungsoo gave permission. Certainly, Sungyeol had helped a lot with the boy but she thought that Myungsoo would take a lot more to forgive Sungyeol after his son went missing from under the taller nose.

Yes, then I’ll ask Moonsoo to pick him up and take him to the movie theater so be sure to put a jacket for him too,” Myungsoo said and his even and firm tone confused his mother a bit.

“Ok?” 

“And Mom…” He added hesitantly.

“Hm?”

“Tell Sungyeol hyung to lock the door, hm?”

“Why don’t you try to talk about that with him?” She suggested. It wasn’t like she couldn’t or didn’t want to do it, but that was a perfect excuse for Myungsoo to start talking to Sungyeol again. The thing was… Myungsoo didn’t wait for her to finish talking to hang up the phone.

_________________________________________________________

Moonsoo popped at Myungsoo's door before lunch with a bag of clothes on his back and his laptop under his arm, and that left the older brother confused. The younger ranted that he needed a break from Sungjong and that they would kill each other because they couldn’t agree about the length of the methods of their studying and that’s why he came. Myungsoo had blinked twice and, despite pretending he did, he couldn’t believe the younger at all.

The truth was that Sungjong had texted him, congratulating him for finishing his project asking if he was ok and if he needed anything. A few texts back and forth, he discovered the two younger adults had pretty much finished studying for all exams to come. Sungjong also revealed that, despite yesterday’s conversation, Moonsoo felt bad he couldn’t help Myungsoo and Woohyun more but also was scared to be out of place with both of them.

That being said, and knowing that Moonsoo didn’t like to be pushy, it was pretty clear he was lying just to offer his (really calming) presence. They already had texted about taking Woohyun (and probably Sunggyu) to the movie theater and the sleepover so Myungsoo could only guess Moonsoo also had some worries about that and wanted to be available in case anything happened. So, with a touched and thankful heart, he let his brother inside.

Moonsoo settled his stuff in Woohyun’s room and returned with his computer. The younger made himself comfortable at the table as Myungsoo heated yesterday’s leftovers. Once the food was at the table they had some small talk, but it didn’t take long for them to eat and fix their attention on their respective computers.

Myungsoo had been putting some effort into Hoya’s webtoon in the morning so in the afternoon he wanted to dedicate it to college homework. His partner had been putting effort into the project and now she passed the baton and he needed to put the final touches and write a report for the next week. For now, he just needed to remember the teacher’s requirements and check if anything was missing.

He looked at his emails and in his files but didn’t find anything then he remembered he had received a picture of the board on which explanations were written. He grabbed his phone - and took the opportunity to tell his father to set final negotiations and papers for Monday -  then opened his gallery to check. Of course, it wasn’t the last picture he received, his new and old classmates sent memes all the time in the group chats he was a part of but never really interacted with. The photo he was looking for was buried so he needed to scroll but he stopped when a series of print screens appeared on the screen. 

At some point, he and Sungyeol had agreed to erase personal conversations on their phones and keep official conversations through email but, at the time he hastily print-screened everything. It wasn’t like he wanted to keep them to remember good times but to remember himself how much he played and be angry about it. 

There were plenty of texts related to Woohyun before (because he would often be anxious about Woohyun staying over there until he learned to trust Sungyeol) but then the content of their conversations changed when they started to test the waters. Of course, there was a lot about Woohyun during the days, but, once the boys were in bed, the focus of their conversations shifted back to them. 

There were all sorts of messages, from getting to know each other to send each other songs and pictures with an ‘I saw/heard this and thought about you today' attached to them. Myungsoo sighed. He still felt hurt but those conversations didn’t make him feel angry as he had expected (well, at least not like he was when they broke up). Instead, those messages made him feel in a way he couldn’t quite describe. He read some and scrolled until he found the last personal messages he exchanged with Sungyeol.

Sungyeol: I’ll switch to work mode now, I need to get ahead with work bc tomorrow I want to be free to celebrate.
Myungsoo: Don’t sleep late ok? Tomorrow is a big day.
Sungyeol: Yes, sir.
Sungyeol: See you tomorrow?
Myungsoo: Of course, I’ll stay till the end.
Sungyeol: Then good night. 
Myungsoo: .gif


He kept his eyes fixedly on the last message Sungyeol sent him before everything happened and that one kiss gif he attached. He couldn’t even believe that conversation could be so fitting to their situation. Sungyeol became only a professional to him and in the end, Myungsoo accepted to stay till the end. He read that conversation a few times more and sighed. Would the last thing he said still be true even after all they went through?

Later, Sungyeol came out of his car and stretched his body. The day had been boring, there was not much he could help in college at that point so he sped up some work - but he would need a bit of energy when he brought the kids home. He planned to help the kids study a bit and it was not like he couldn’t take care of more work while they were at it, but he had no intention of letting his eyes wander away from them. He didn’t need to receive that one text from Sonmi - telling him to lock the door - to do everything in his power to keep Woohyun under his eye.

Sunggyu was super happy to have his friend over after some time and Woohyun was too, well, at times. Woohyun’s mind would wander to another place for a few seconds, or he would make a weird face, but Sungyeol only understood those faces when they were about to enter his apartment.

“I don’t want to eat that.” The boy said as soon as Sungyeol explained the dish he wanted to make.

“Why Woohyunnie?” Sunggyu asked as he scratched his head. “Does it still hurt?”

Sungyeol frowned as much as he could, afraid of Myungsoo's reaction if Woohyun as much as bumped into some furniture. “What’s hurting?”

“Here.” Woohyun pointed to his little mouth and his tongue hovered in a specific place.

Sungyeol bent to inspect it and instantly felt relieved. It turns out the tooth Woohyun lost in the fight was showing signs that it wanted to come out after many months of nothing. While that was a good thing, it ruined Sungyeol's plans for dinner, and now he had to do something the boy could eat without much trouble. He thought for a second before straightening himself.

“I’ll make some Galbitang for you, with really tender meat. Don’t worry, the meat will melt in your mouth, my mom's special recipe.” He announced and both boys smiled in anticipation so he turned to open the door, but, while doing that, he missed Woohyun looking at the door of Myungsoo’s apartment.

Once they were inside the apartment, he sent the boys to the bathroom for a bath, locked the door as much as physically possible then made sure to hide the keys in his pocket. Now there was no way Woohyun could attempt to run away.

He had gotten started with dinner when the boys appeared. They went straight for the backpacks and took their notebooks and pencils to get ahead with homework. Sungyeol smiled to himself then, now the boys didn’t complain much about doing it (at least in his presence), which saved him time and annoyance. They still asked questions here and there, and every time Sunggyu asked something, Sungyeol noticed Woohyun slightly spacing out. The only adult in the apartment hadn’t wanted to ask about it because it would require him not paying attention to dinner but decided to ask the next time he witnessed.

They tried to talk during dinner, and Sungyeol ended up discovering Sunggyu wanted to change the song at the last minute. The elder seemed a little lost but, after side-glaring at Woohyun, Sunggyu asked some questions about math and Sungyeol dropped the subject to explain. Once they finished, Sungyeol told them they could play and that tomorrow morning they would study a bit more. Sunggyu had smiled ear to ear and tried to drag Woohyun to grab the paper swords in his room so they could play.

“Hyung, sorry, but I don’t feel like playing sword fight,” Woohyun said, which was strange for Sungyeol because the boy was the active one but at the same time, it fitted his recent behavior/mood.

Sunggyu blinked a bit and tried again. “Can we solve a puzzle?” 

Woohyun thought a bit. Sunggyu loved puzzles and he didn’t want to be a bother, he could just pretend he was playing and let Sunggyu have the joy to set the picture by himself. 

“Ok.” That was enough for Sunggyu and he was about to run off to grab a box when Sungyeol called him.

“Sunggyu!” The boy stopped in his tracks to look at his brother. “I wanted to give you a new one once you finished school because you did so well this year but I might as well give it to you now. Look underneath my bed.”

Sunggyu smiled from ear to ear and ran for his brother's room as Sungyeol pushed the coffee table to the corner and he and Woohyun settled on the ground. “A thousand pieces!!!!” He screamed from Sungyeol room and the next second he appeared running to show his friend.

Woohyun hadn’t the same enthusiasm but watched curiously as Sunggyu tried to open the package in joy. As he struggled, Sungyeol put Sunggyu's favorite playlist (with the songs his father sang or wrote) to play in the background then came to the boy’s aid. Sunggyu didn't need much help with a puzzle- he was not one of those that begin with the corner pieces - but Woohyun, as any normal person, used that method while Sungyeol tried to sort the pieces so they could see the printed parts easily. They worked quietly with Sungyeol finding some pieces for both boys and Sunggyu singing his father's songs while Woohyun hummed softly (which was an improvement). 

At some point, Sungyeol made the 'mistake' to fit a piece on the bunch Sunggyu was working on it and that made the pair of brothers bicker with each other for a bit and when they managed to finally end their bickering, the elder noticed Woohyun had stopped playing and was looking fixedly to the door. 

"Are you ok?" He asked the boy while Sunggyu furrowed his brows.

“Hm?” Woohyun asked distractedly.

“Woohyunnie you were looking weirdly at the door.” The elder kid pointed out the obvious but made sure that Woohyun wouldn’t try to brush the topic away.

“It’s locked, if you want to go somewhere I can take you.” Sungyeol offered.

“Oh, no.” The boy quickly waved his hands in the air and blushed. “I… I…”

“Woohyun, I know you’re happy to be here and I can see you’re trying to concentrate on other things but, I’ve noticed you are spacing out often. Is something new the matter?” Sungyeol asked and the boy grabbed some pieces from the ground and passed them from one hand to the other.

“I just…. I just…”

Sunggyu crawled towards his friend, gently took the pieces from his hand, and threw them on the ground. “Is it Myungsoo hyung doing something to you?” Woohyun sighed and let his shoulders slump defeatedly. “Oh, did I get it right?”

Well, most of Woohyun’s problems and his mood swings had to do with Myungsoo so it wasn’t a surprise to see Woohyun like this. “What did he do?” Sungyeol asked curiously.

“He asked me to spend time with him.” The boy said.

“That’s a good thing.” Sungyeol blinked but the boy slightly glared at him. “I mean, it doesn’t seem that you liked it but the fact that he asked shows that Myungsoo still wants to respect what you want.”

Woohyun looked at the pieces that his friend threw away and became pensive but Sunggyu didn’t let him think much because curiosity was killing him. “What did you tell him?”

“I said yes because if I had said no I wouldn’t be here.” Woohyun explained.

“Ok, you two agreed.” Sungyeol concluded but then his eyes widened and he almost gasped. “Was he supposed to come here? Is that why you're looking at the door?” If so he wasn’t ready to face the younger without being utterly awkward about it. 

“No?” Woohyun raised a confused brow and Sunggyu gave a warning look at Sungyeol so he would collect himself.

The adult visibly relaxed, but in the next second, something occurred to him. 

Woohyun in his apartment didn’t answer the question about Myunsoo trusting him. At least not yet, and for that, he had to ensure that nothing happened until somebody popped up to pick the boy up. Sungyeol lips slightly stretched in amusement. He hadn’t thought about Myungsoo doing things like this, therefore he couldn’t predict it, but it felt like Myungsoo was double testing him and Woohyun. That surprised but somehow pumped him. Well, Myungsoo, I’ll make sure that Woohyun and I pass this test with flying colors.

Sungyeol was in the middle of these kinds of thoughts when Sunggyu threw him a judging look so he straightened up himself and addressed the younger boy. “Then maybe he will appear tomorrow to pick you up for the movies?.” He asked and Woohyun shrugged before the elder further inquired. “Are you thinking about going back on your word?”

“No hyung, I promised I would spend time with him.” Woohyun sighed deeply. “I’m not him, I don’t lie.” 

Not often but you’re full of tricks behind your pouts and eyelashes. Sungyeol wanted to say but decided against it. Meanwhile, Sunggyu frowned immediately because it seemed weird for Woohyun to accept that right now.

“You promised… are you ok with that?” The older boy asked.

Woohyun shrugged but tried to be positive as he looked at his friend. “He said I can invite you so I’ll be fine if hyung comes with me tomorrow.” 

Sunggyu thought quickly. Going with Woohyun might mean that he could try to talk some sense to Myungsoo about his brother’s feelings. “Hyung, can I?”

Sungyeol slightly chuckled. “Yes, Sunggyu, you can accompany Woohyun to the movie theater tomorrow if you guys study a bit in the morning. And Sungjong said he might join.” 

“Really? That would be so cool,” Sunggyu said in joy. He missed his middle brother for a while so he was eager to meet him but at the same time, he was already planning how to talk to Myungsoo and tell him to fix things with Woohyun and his brother quickly.

Woohyun looked at Sungyeol then and, when their eyes met, the elder just knew he would ask something. “Hyung, can you come with us tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow...” Sungyeol bit his lip. If this invitation had happened some time ago he would have jumped at the opportunity but now it felt too soon.

Even if he were to be fully prepared to talk to his ex-lover and Myungsoo already had thought about them, they couldn’t exactly talk in front of Woohyun so things would be awkward. He wasn’t sure if Woohyun purposely wanted to make things hard on Myungsoo - because he knew they were not talking to each other - but, he thought the young dad needed time with Woohyun without his presence, even if other people were to be there.

“I’m not sure I’ll be able, my boss said he might send me some work.” He said it wasn’t exactly a lie but the boy wouldn’t handle Sungyeol's thoughts well. Woohyun instantly made a face of worry. “Come on, it won’t be that bad, you know him all your life you know exactly how to handle him and there will be other people with you as well.” Sungyeol tried to encourage him.

The boy thought a bit. Yes, that was kind of true and even if he didn’t know, Moonsoo would be there to help him, which made him relieved. “I still hate work.” The boy complained with a pout even though he kind of accepted Sungyeol's excuse.

“It’s always in the way.” Sunggyu agreed as he moved his eyes to the pieces on the floor.

Sungyeol sighed deeply as he thought about the ultimate reason for his break up with the neighbor. “Tell me about it.”

The boys progressed with the puzzle a bit more and while Sungyeol mulled over his situation, he missed Woohyun stealing distrustful glances at the door. In the end, Sunggyu was the only one fully focusing on the mission of completing a thousand pieces while singing his father's songs. 

At some point, Sungyeol snapped out of his thoughts because the boys poked fun at him but, after that, it didn’t take long for the boys' bedtime. After they were in bed, he finally took his bath and dropped on his bed to watch some episodes from his favorite series.

In the apartment across, the two brothers had moved each to a different room. Moonsoo wanted to make a love call with Sungjong (because all that he had said about his boyfriend was a lie) so Myungsoo just cleaned the kitchen and put some clothes to wash before going to his bedroom.

By now the young dad already had finished his tasks of the day but he was sure he wouldn't be able to sleep. He knew his mother had warned Sungyeol about the door (he took a few seconds to ask through text) but he still felt a little too anxious about Woohyun spending the night at the neighbors. 

Since he couldn’t look at his computer for another minute and it was too late at night to exercise, he decided he would clean and organize his not-so-unorganized room. After bills were thrown into one drawer, papers and books sorted, and photography equipment cleaned, Myungsoo moved to dust off the furniture but it didn’t take him long to finish it. It was time to clean the floor then, but once he dropped to his knees to look underneath the bed, he found something he didn’t even remember that was in his possession: a box of letters that his mother didn’t take home.

Firstly he sighed heavily, slightly cursing himself for forgetting about them. Myungsoo had promised himself he wouldn’t read them (and part of him used ‘not wasting time as an excuse) but now that his project was out of the way, he hadn’t that excuse anymore.

Then he pulled the box and placed it on his nightstand and looked at it for a while. He still didn’t want to read (or he was trying to convince himself he didn’t want to) but it made him remember that, just like the letters in front of him, Sungyeol was still there and soon or later he would pop up. 

Myungsoo thought about his options for a bit. He could either be double anxious for the next few days - waiting for Woohyun's answer or in dread that Sungyeol would choose a random day to talk to him - or he could minimize these feelings (at least about Sungyeol) by taking control of the situation. When he could only think of these two ways of dealing with the problem, there was not much to think about so he got up and headed for Woohyun’s room.

“Moonsoo?!” Myungsoo said as he opened the door and the younger Kim immediately stopped talking with his boyfriend to look at his brother in surprise. 

“Hyung, I am in the middle of something,” Moonsoo complained, Myungsoo always respected his privacy and, despite being in his apartment, he didn’t think his brother would just barge in.

“Sorry for interrupting.” The elder apologized, thanking in his head that ‘something’ didn’t have anything to do with his brother's body and that his hands actually could be seen.

“Just a second Jongie.” Myungsoo couldn’t hear anything but his brother sighed while listening and mumbled something before looking at him. “What is it?” 

“Can you lend me your phone for a message quick?”

Moonsoo frowned deeply. “You have your phone.”

“I know but I don’t think it would be a smart move to communicate directly so soon,” Myungsoo said and Moonsoo rolled his eyes, he knew his brother was talking about Sungyeol and that didn’t make any sense to him.

“Hyung, I already told you that soon or later you’ll need to talk to him.” The younger one argued.

“A meeting face to face leaves no trace.” Myungsoo reasoned. Moonsoo sighed because he didn’t know why his brother needed to be that careful, it was not like the FBI would hack his phone, but he gave up understanding as long as they were starting to talk.

“Here.” The younger grabbed his phone and showed Myungsoo, and the said man didn’t lose time in getting it. “If you read my messages you’re dead!” The younger warned before the door was closed again.

Myungsoo entered his room while opening his brother's messaging app. He looked for Sungyeol contact and after a few seconds, he inspected their text exchanges. He felt a little bad doing that but at the same incredibly relieved that most messages before and after the break up were things like ‘tell your brother to call me’. 

He sat on his bed, ran his fingers through his hair, and took a deep breath before typing the first thing that came to mind.

Moonsoo: Hey
Moonsoo: Are you awake?

Myungsoo bit his lip with a bit of regret because who started a conversation so lamely? Besides, Sungyeol didn’t know he was the one using his brother's phone, so the messages were probably too weird for their dynamics. He was about to delete them but the app notified him that Sungyeol had already seen them.

Sungyeol: Somehow I’m still up.
Sungyeol: Do you need anything?
Sungyeol: Is everything ok between you and Sungjong?

Myungsoo shut his eyes for a second but, well, now that he had Sungyeol's attention it was better if he just identified himself and did what he had to do.

Moonsoo: It’s Myungsoo. He expected a bit of confusion or surprise, for which he was already typing an explanation on why he wasn’t using his phone to contact the elder. What he didn’t expect was for Sungyeol fingers to tap so fast so late at night that his messages appeared on the screen before he could hit send in his message.

Sungyeol: Even though I made sure to lock the door and hide the key, Woohyun didn’t give me any trouble today. He behaved extra well, obeyed, did his homework, and worked on a puzzle with Sunggyu before going to bed. I already checked twice and he is in a heavy sleep.
Sungyeol: Tomorrow I’ll prepare the kids a bit more for their exams. 
Sungyeol: You need to tell me what time the boys need to be ready for the movie.

Myungsoo's first reaction was to be surprised by the size of the message, but then he smiled as he read the content, it was a complete report on Woohyun.  Although he had all the intention to ask questions about his son, he was glad Sungyeol didn’t jump on the opportunity to pressure him by talking about personal topics right off the bat.

He erased the lengthy message he was working on and continued with the conversation in automatic mode. Did he invite you? Will you go… Myungsoo wanted to ask but stopped writing the minute his brain screamed he would sound desperate and, with that, give the elder the wrong impression. He erased everything once more and typed a new message.

Moonsoo: Thank you for telling me. 
Moonsoo: It makes me relieved that everything is ok.
Sungyeol: I think I should be the one thanking you for allowing him here. Sunggyu was very happy and so was I. 
Sungyeol: I wanted to report sooner but I wasn’t sure if I should send you a message.

Myungsoo was slightly relieved to read that because it meant that he and Sungyeol shared similar thoughts on the issue and he didn’t need to explain in a lengthy way.

Moonsoo: Even though the project is over, I think it’s a bit too soon to start messaging each other. This is why I’m on Moonsoo’s phone.

The taller man sighed in his apartment. This message didn’t send him good vibes at all, but - if they got back together - their texts needed to at least have some progress and not jump into a personal talk, or else it would be clear they pretended all the time during the project.

Sungyeol: I agree. 

He typed sadly and pressed send, then he put his phone away. Despite being a bit surprising, Myungsoo’s messages probably happened just to check on Woohyun and tell him not to text. He didn’t want to pressure his ex-lover into anything so his words seemed (to him) like the ending of a conversation, but a couple of long seconds later, he was surprised by his phone vibrating with a new message.

Moonsoo: Has Woohyun invited you to the movie theater tomorrow?

As Myungsoo bit his lips while waiting for an answer, Sungyeol frowned, where this conversation was supposed to go? He carefully typed a ‘Yes’ and waited for an answer.

Moonsoo: So tomorrow... 
Moonsoo: Will you accompany the kids?

Sungyeol sighed. Those three dots showed Myungsoo's hesitancy in asking but Sungyeol knew words alone couldn’t convey whatever the younger was feeling at the moment, so he didn’t know if Myungsoo was dreading a ‘yes’ or was anticipating a ‘no’. But whatever answer he was expecting, Sungyeol found a way to reply to both scenarios.

Sungyeol: Not if you don’t want to.

Oh, good. It was Myungsoo's first thought, but then he became a bit nervous. There was nothing else to say now but the question he wanted to ask so he decided to write it with the most serious words he could think of, not knowing how Sungyeol would interpret that.

Myungsoo: Can we talk in person while the kids are out?

If any louder, Sungyeol's gasp could probably wake the kids, he wasn’t expecting Myungsoo to ask him such a question. He kinda agreed with Hoya, that he shouldn’t press and just let his ex think, but if Myungsoo wanted to ask him out to talk about themselves, he wouldn’t complain about it. That made his heart beat faster in a mix of happiness, anticipation, and relief that he probably didn’t have to wait long to fix things between them.

Sungyeol: Sure 
Sungyeol: Where? 
Sungyeol: What time?
Sungyeol: :D

Myungsoo frowned, Sungyeol wasn’t into emojis but he still sent one and this should have been a warning on how the elder was interpreting things. But, instead, he forced himself to believe Sungyeol was just trying to be open and friendly and not raising his expectations.

Moonsoo: Idk, I’ll spend the day at Hoya hyung's place because we need to speed up work. Maybe after I leave there? Around 3 PM? 3:30 PM? You can choose the place.

Sungyeol made some quick math in his head. He had agreed to go with Hoya to pick his brother up around six and he thought about bringing Sunggyu but Sungjong had said it would handle the boy until he returned. If Myungsoo was suggesting that time, it was because he knew the boys would be out sooner, which left Sungyeol plenty of time to do some groceries and enjoy a small date with Myungsoo before he needed to help his cousin out. 

Since he would join Hoya later, he tried to search for something near his cousin's place. He was after a place Myungsoo could find and arrive quickly but at the same time somewhere quiet they could talk about themselves but nice enough so they could eat something good and enjoy themselves on a date.

Sungyeol: (picture)
Sungyeol: I need to help Hoya hyung with something later so it would be better for me if we meet near his place. Is it good for you?

Myungsoo opened the picture sent. It was a print screen with a map and information about the place, like the range of prizes and some reviews from clients. Myungsoo zoomed through the map and recognized the place being three blocks away from his boss's apartment, therefore it wouldn't take long to arrive there. He stored that information in his head and disregarded every other information about the place offered, which later would prove to be a mistake.

Myungsoo: It’s fine, I can arrive quickly. 
Sungyeol: I’ll wait for you there.

Sungyeol smiled to himself but since - for him at least - Myungsoo seemed like he was in the mood to talk, he quickly decided to try to continue the conversation even if he only spoke about Woohyun.

Sungyeol: I’m glad we’re meeting but I thought you’d use the opportunity to spend time with Woohyun. 
Sungyeol: He said you two agreed, is that right?

Sungyeol waited and waited and waited but a reply never arrived because, in the other apartment, Myungsoo had already returned his brother's phone. Once he realized no message would be coming, Sungyeol put his phone away and his laptop was next. He turned the lights off and pulled the sheets next to his face only to hide a giddy smile in it, he wasn't upset that Myungsoo didn't continue with the conversation, everything would be ok after their date.

Sungyeol loved the way his relationship with Sunggyu progressed but sometimes he missed the time when his brother would be too scared to wake him up. Nowadays the boy just barged in and poked his side, whenever he woke up first and encouraged Woohyun to do the same (if he was around) until Sungyeol got up to make them breakfast. That usually annoyed him, because most often than not he had pulled an all-nighter but not today. Today he had slept 'early' and would have a date with Myungsoo.

Breakfast was done and eaten in no time, then Sungyeol tried to help the kids with studying without them feeling like they were studying. That was a bit hard but both were competitive to some extent so he managed somehow.

Lunch came later and he engaged the kid's help while trying to explain to Woohyun the points he was having difficulties with. After lunch, the kids moved to progress with the puzzle until someone knocked on the door.

Woohyun tensed completely, but it wasn't until Sungyeol opened the door and he saw Moonsoo alone that he smiled. Meanwhile, Sunggyu gasped because they were not ready and he worried they would miss the time for the movie (tho they didn't know what kind of movie they would watch). Moonsoo explained they had plenty of time because they would still pick up Sungjong and hit the arcade before they headed for the movie theater but the boys scrambled to the bathroom to take a bath and prepare.

The two adults managed a quick conversation. Moonsoo managed to say he was glad his brother and Sungyeol would talk and that Sungyeol should seize the opportunity and do something but Sungyeol couldn’t scoop much about Myungsoo's state of mind that he didn’t already know. The conversation shifted to Woohyun but Moonsoo also didn’t have any idea what kind of agreement father and son compromised. Once these two topics were out of the way, they settled on a light but longer conversation about studying tips and Sungjong until the boys came running.

“I’m ready!” Sunggyu announced first, even though the adults could see his hair was still dripping water, once he finally stopped.

“Ouch.” Woohyun complained as he tripped over himself and bumped into his friend's back but once he straightened himself, he smiled at Moonsoo only to frown at Sungyeol. “Hyung, why you’re not ready? Go get ready quickly.”

Of course, he would but not for what he was thinking. “Sorry Woohyun, work arrived earlier, I’m just waiting for Moonsoo to take you two so I can start.” Sungyeol lied and made a sad face to match but inside he was thrilled that the time to see Myungsoo was coming.

“I hate work!” Sunggyu complained but accepted rather quickly because if Sungyeol wasn’t there, maybe he could find a way of talking to Myungsoo without embarrassing his brother.

Meanwhile, Woohyun's eyes grew big and he stomped his feet towards Sungyeol and grabbed his shirt. “Nooo hyung, d-Myungsoo-shi is gonna be there, you need to come with me, pleaaaaaase!!” He begged as he pulled the taller shirt from one side to the other.

Moonsoo frowned at that. “Myungsoo hyung is not coming with us Woohyun. I kept him company tonight and he said he wanted you to feel comfortable while going to the movie theater and left to work early.”

Woohyun immediately let go of Sungyeol. “He isn’t coming?” He asked but it sounded like he was disappointed.

“No, he isn’t. Since Sungyeol hyung can’t come it will be just me, Jongie, and the two of you.” Moonsoo confirmed and Sungyeol made an apologetic face.

“Oh.” Woohyun blinked in surprise.

Sunggyu crossed his small arms and huffed under his breath. “That’s a pity.” He didn’t like that he wouldn’t have an opportunity to talk to Myungsoo but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t try to find a way.

“See, you don’t have to worry about anything, and now that you two have already studied, you can enjoy yourselves a little,” Sungyeol said and the two boys nodded, one more eager than the other. “Now, before you go, let’s dry your little heads properly to not get sick, hm?”

Each one of the adults helped one kid and after gathering Woohyun things, Moonsoo left with both kids in tow. Sungyeol was left on his own and he quickly scrambled to the bathroom to get himself as clean and tidy as possible. With a last look at his pantry, he made a list of ingredients he would need to please Hoya’s and his brother, and left home.

He stopped at the nearest grocery store shop and took the opportunity to call his cousin and ask if he needed/wanted him to cook something else, like a dessert. Hoya asked Sungyeol for food the last time they saw each other and the taller man had accepted (to distract himself a bit) but he seemed too eager and that raised some suspicion. 

Hoya walked as far as he could from Myungsoo's ear range and, after pressing a little, Sungyeol happily explained his text exchange with Myungsoo the night before and how they would have a date in a nice cafe once his ex-boyfriend was done with work. Hoya frowned deeply as he looked at Myungsoo back, the young man hadn't said anything (not that he was obliged to) but he had brought equipment and he wasn’t dressed for a date. His hair didn’t even seem brushed up and he certainly had forgotten to shave, so Hoya concluded that there was no way he was remotely ready for a date.

“Are you sure?” He asked carefully.

“I’m sure.” Sungyeol replied jolly on the other side as he moved to the line.

“I think you might be reading the signs wrongly buddy. Isn't it better to wait a bit to see each other? Haven’t you agreed with me? Why are you going back on your words?” Hoya tried to ask so Sungyeol could use his brain and think things in a more realistic way, which for the first time in his life he wasn’t doing.

“Hyung, no, he was the one that invited me and even let me choose the place. We’re going to meet at that fancy café near your place and I’m going there as soon as I finish here.” Sungyeol said happily and warning sirens flared on Hoya’s brain, he didn’t know what was going on but this particular café didn’t seem like a place Myungsoo would go when his finances were so tight. “So do you want me to pick you up or I’ll leave my car in your place and we go together to the airport in yours?”

Hoya hesitated on that answer, not because it was difficult but because he wanted to talk about the date and talk his cousin out of this idea. Unfortunately, Sungyeol let himself blind whenever he was happy, and just like Hoya couldn’t talk him out of his previous relationship, he probably wouldn’t be able to talk Sungyeol out of this date idea. “You come here once you’re done, Dongwoo hyung might be arriving in an hour.” He said, sure that Sungyeol would arrive before his boyfriend.

“Ok then, see ya.” Sungyeol sing-song then ended the call.

Hoya sighed but didn’t lose time getting close to his assistant and tapping his shoulder to get attention. Myungsoo took his earphones out to hear and looked at him confusedly. “I know I said I wouldn’t talk about him and I wouldn’t in but answer me just this: are you going to meet with Sungyeol today?” He asked worriedly.

Myungsoo frowned. “Yes.”

“Myungsoo, are you sure you want to meet him now?”

The younger frowned a bit more but explained. “I’ll have to talk to him at some point, better meet him already. But it’s not like we are going on a date or something, why?”

Hoya pinched the bridge of his nose to alleviate stress before looking straight into his assistant eyes. “I don’t know what you talked about but here it is a warning: I think he is expecting something very different from whatever you planned.” 

“Like what?” Myungsoo blinked innocently.

“Like a date.”

“What?” The younger blinked again.

“Yes, a date.”