Reality

Tangled
 
 

Sungyeol skin was kind of pale but Myungsoo was sure he just beat every level os paleness existent and he only didn't turn transparent because it was physically impossible. He was frozen in place with his brain in a short circuit as his father waited impatiently to hear what he considered an overdue explanation.

So?” His father urged but once he saw that Myungsoo was in shock, holding his breath and literally pale like a paper sheet he became somehow concerned. “Myungsoo?” He called and the younger woke up to cast his head down and at least resume his breathing. “Myungsoo?” His father called again, this time softly, it wasn't his intention to make Myungsoo freak out or something.

Bumsoo approached his son and softly grabbed his wrist to bring him to the couch and sit him there, then, he pushed the small coffee table closer to the couch to sit in front of his son before taking a deep breath before talking again, softly, to not scare his son.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to freak you out or something.” He apologized sincerely. “It's just that I'm your father and your mom and I raised you with all the emotional and financial support we could give you, so I thought you trusted us... and since I discovered this I thought and thought about it, and every time I did that I end up with a headache and a broken heart, wondering where we failed you so you lost your trust in us.” Bumsoo explained himself further with a frustrated and painful tone and Myungsoo couldn't make himself to look into his father eyes, too ashamed and too afraid to do it so.

Your mom and I talked a couple of times about this and she thinks you will come to us when you feel ready but I can't wait anymore, it's been seven years and I really need to know this to at least … I don't know, put some order on my thoughts. Please, Myungsoo, just tell me everything.” Bumsoo begged.

The younger bit his lips and fought tears as he processed his father words, he was torn. There was a small part of him that was happy, because once he spoke a huge weight would come off his shoulders and he only would need to deal with his son, but his heart was mostly squeezed, he got in this not only because he wanted to help Jihyun he was mainly selfish, not to mention he was always scared of his parents reactions but how could his father blame himself? This was not his fault at all, but how could Myungsoo tell his father this? Where was the courage for it? He knew he would hurt and be hurt once Woohyun discovered this but to disappoint and lose support from his father, his hero? That was different, still equally painful for him.

Sensing that Myungsoo had troubles to open his mouth, Bumsoo grabbed his son chin gently and lifted up enough so his son was forced to look in his eyes and tried again. “Please.”

Myungsoo still needed a couple seconds but finally was able to form some words as he looked at his dad with a guilt look. “I-I'm sorry.” Bumsoo blinked a couple of times, he was confused if Myungsoo was sorry for lying or if he would apologize and he says he wouldn't open up, but before he could think this further the younger started a rant as a tear started to spill. I'm so, so sorry. You have never failed me, I was the one who failed you and I'm sorry to disappoint you.”

Bumsoo blinked a bit but since Myungsoo now was able to talk, he thought it was better to comfort him and encourage the truth to come out after so he got up to sit beside Myungsoo on the couch and hugged as he did many times before when Myungsoo was a kid.

You're not a disappointment, not for your mom, not for me.” His dad whispered in his ear. “You were always a good and obedient kid, you always studied hard, behaved yourself and took care of Jihyun and Moonsoo whenever they were trusted upon you. You know your mother and I were surprised with Jihyun pregnancy news, but you'embraced fatherhood and have been acing it as you balance sports and studies.This isn't for everyone Myungsoo, so don't say you're a disappointment, I only have reasons to be proud of you.” He hesitated a bit but in the end chose to add. “The only thing I don't understand is why you choose to lie.”

Be-because you wouldn't have supported everything.” Myungsoo stuttered as he pushed himself away from his father arms and looked at him with frustration and regret tears falling from his eyes.

Of course we would've supported you the same way, Myungsoo.” His father defended himself.

No, you wouldn't.” He sobbed. “Maybe you would help but nothing would be the way it is now.”

Of course it wouldn't, but nothing would be bad either.” The elder reasoned.

I did what I think it was right.”Myungsoo blurted in all seriousness, trying lamely to defend himself, as he tried to wipe his face.

How can you say this?” Bumsoo asked frustrated. “You lied to us, to him, for seven freaking years, how can this be any good?”

Yes, I lied.” Myungsoo admitted and looked straight into his father eyes. “But with my lie, Jihyun was able to get a roof, Jihyun was able to have all her medical expenses covered, she had the best health support during her pregnancy, and she finally was able to understand and feel the love of a family.” He said firmly then added in a whisper. “While I...” He stopped right there, it wasn't like he could say everything in one go.

So you're telling me you lied to take advantage of us?” Bumsoo asked flabbergasted. “Wow, Myungsoo, just wow.” Bumsoo sighed in disappointment and Myungsoo looked down to his feet in shame.

It... it was not entirely like that.” He mumbled awkwardly. “Truth or lie, we would need you the same way...” He admitted. “but we wanted to return all the money... I want to return all the money.” He assured.

And do you think we will want that? Bumsoo asked in disbelief. Everything we've helped you with until now was because we love you and whatever we do for Woohyun it is because we love him too!

And you do it because you thought he was mine, things could have been different if I told you the truth and.... Myungsoo was ready to defend himself when his father interrupted.

Don't! Your mother and I loved Jihyun as if she was your real sister and if you had told us the truth she would still have had all that she had. Or perhaps do you think we would be heartless like her mother and kick a pregnant girl out of home, knowing that she had nowhere to go and had no means to support herself and the babies?” He asked and Myungsoo stayed quiet, he knew his dad was right on that but before he could say anything his father continued.

If you had told us the truth we would have taken care of her and her kids, of course, you could have helped, but you could still have lived your life free as a bird, playing basketball and studying without worrying. If you weren't a father at that point you could have gone out to meet new friends, go to parties, date and do everything that you aren't able to do because of Woohyun. I know you always did your best to be a good father and believe me, you are better than I was when you first came, but Woohyun wouldn't have been alone Myungsoo, we could have adopted him and you could have been his brother instead of his father and then you could have waited for the right time to give us grandchildren.”

Bumsoo tried once more to reason and make his son understand that he could have had helped the same way and still have an easier, and maybe better, road but at that point, Myungsoo was red and raging and with a lot to say so he got up and looked down at his father.

And that's exactly the problem, do you think I wanted all of that?” He hissed and Bumsoo was more than confused, he was surprised, he had been there for Myungsoo from the news of his pregnancy till teaching him how to change diapers and he had seen all the younger moods he never expected shy and obedient Myunsgoo would ever have the guts to hiss at him like that.

You didn't?” Bumsoo asked shocked, choosing not to demand respect now so he could get to the bottom of this and discover all the truth. “Myungsoo, you could have studied in an American college and now be playing for some huge NBA team.” He added in disbelief.

To hell with basketball, it is a hobby and a way to get me into college and achieve other dreams, it was never my main goal.” He confessed. “I like it to play it but when I started I didn't think I would grow to be this tall and back then I had to compensate somehow and that's why I have the skills I have now, but l 'm still an Asian dwarf that can be crushed next to NBA professional players.”

So arts and photography are really your main goal?” Bumsoo asked raising a brow but quickly decided that Myungsoo profession wasn't really the most important thing right now, he still wasn't able to understand Myungsoo choices when he was sure there were more important things at hand. “Forget about that, are you saying this is something that you wanted?”

Myungsoo avoided his father gaze and breathed deeply to calm himself and he took a few minutes for it before he pinched the bridge of his nose to alleviate the stress. “Yes, I knew everything that could happen if I told you the truth and if I didn't, and I consciously chose to take responsibility.” He said as calmly as he could and, after a second thought, he decided to say something more. “Yes, I don't do certain things but it is because I chose to raise Woohyun in this particular way, to show that although his mother is not here he won't be any short on love, and guess what? I don't regret anything. When I see him smile everything is worthy.”

I don't doubt that you're showing enough love for him, Woohyun is one lucky boy in that aspect, everybody loves him.” Bumsoo agreed but then his voice became a little reluctant. “But at the same time, I worry about the way this all influences your life, why would you choose this? Did you want to be a martyr or something? Or did you actually loved Jihyun?” He asked a bit lost and that at that moment Myungsoo sighed deeply and looked down at his father.

No, I didn't want to be a martyr, and I am not that and I loved Jihyun from the bottom of my heart, she was my most important friend ever, but I definitely didn't love her like that.”

Ok, then this is based solely on the fact that you wanted to help a friend?” Bumsoo raised a brow.

No, dad!” Myungsoo wanted to pull his hair, this conversation was becoming like a torture. “I took responsibility because I wanted to be a father.”

Then I can understand that reason too, I dreamed to be a father since I was young as well, but Myungsoo, you were fifteen and you had nothing, you could have waited a couple years to have your own.” Bumsoo was one more time ready to argue when Myungsoo mumbled something he couldn't understand. “Come again?”

It was my only chance.” Myungsoo repeated as now he cast his head down again and fiddled with the hem of his shirt, looking like an overgrown scolded kid. “I can't have children so it was my only chance and I had to grab it.”

How are you sure you can't have children at fifteen, Myungsoo?” Bumsoo wanted to laugh at that absurdity but he was simply too confused and thrown off to even laugh. “A healthy boy like you just needs a girl that also wants it to be able to produce a kid, you'd have a lot of chances to...”

Myungsoo bit his lips and closed his eyes to gather some courage while his father was talking, this was it, the moment that he always dreaded came so he had to interrupt his father right away. “There's the thing, dad, I don't want a girl, I like boys exclusively and I can't change that fact.” He said in an almost broken tone. “But I knew you two expected me to continue the bloodline and I wanted to have a kid so...” He let the words linger in the air as he knew he already delivered the message across.

Bumsoo immediately gasped and tears formed in his eyes, he then started to rub his hands in his face in distress. “Son, what did you do?” He asked in an almost painful disbelief.

Myungsoo stayed silent and looked down to his feet, afraid to catch his probably disappointed father eyes in his. But, if anything, Myungsoo would admit he was not waiting for this kind of reaction, he imagined his father would be disappointed in him, that was a given, but he imagined the disappointment would come accompanied with a lot of anger, not such deep sorrow. Either way, he only had one course of action: apologies.

I'm-I'm sorry to disappoint you.” Myungsoo said in a guilty tone. “Maybe you accepted Moonsoo better because you thought I could still give you grandchildren but ....” He tried to explain but his father interrupted him making him shiver in the process and shut his eyes tightly.

Lord, Myungsoo!” Bumsoo gasped kind of horrified as he got up and gesticulated nervously. “A child is something definitive and a huge responsibility, you shouldn't have made this decision like that! Was this because you were afraid to come out to us? What gave you the idea that we wouldn't?” He asked in frustration. “You know how we are open minded, we would have supported you the same way we are doing with Moonsoo and you could have lived to be truthful to yourself. Tell me, Jihyun knew about it didn't she? Why she even accepted to marry you?”

She knew, I told her a couple of months before everything happened...” Myungsoo admitted stiffly, still not looking into his father eyes, afraid to admit that he thought he was going to be rejected by his father since he always daydreamed about three generations of his family playing together and all. “She didn't want to marry me, but I convinced her it was for the best.”

How this is for the best Myungsoo? What if she was still alive? You two would be trapped in a fake marriage, living in a lie and not being able to be yourselves.” Bumsoo said frustrated beyond belief, he thought it was inconceivable the idea of someone trying to go against their nature because a person would never be able to be happy torturing themselves this way. Aside that, he just wanted both his children to be happy, having their own kids or not, as long as they had a person by their side to love and take care of them, but here was Myungsoo, pretending to be someone he was not and pushing everyone out of his life to secure a secret that didn't even need to exist. “What were you thinking?”

Myungsoo sighed deeply before he spilled in detail. “You know how her mother was...” He mumbled which made Bumsoo get stiff for a second. Yes, he knew how that woman was and all that Jihyun had to go through but this didn't necessarily explain everything. Fortunately, he didn't need to dwell much into this because Myungsoo decided to continue. “I agree that marriage was not really necessary, but I... we were hoping that, because it was me taking the responsibility, her mother would be more lenient.”

That woman?” Bumsoo scoffed sarcastically, he knew Jihyun mom and the woman was just someone bitter with her own life that blamed the poor girl for everything that she could, often rubbing in her daughter's face how much of a burden she was. “Did you think she was going to react that differently?”

Myungsoo shrugged. “I stayed beside Jihyun all her life, I was her closest friend, and I understand that, if no one knew about my uality, the natural thing to imagine was that Ji and I would...” He hesitated but added awkwardly. “...develop. “So we were thinking, hoping, that her mother accepted everything better since she knew me since I was six and I made sure to show that I wouldn't run away from responsibilities. I knew somehow Jihyun would end up living with us but we hoped that her mother would want to stay in her life, and with that, the twins would have something that Ji always envied me for: a complete and supportive family.”

Tears came and went back from Bumsoo eyes as he understood at least that part. He thought Myungsoo was naïve back then because there was nothing in Jihyun mother that ever hinted she could act differently from how she acted back then and, although he still stuck to beliefs that there was no way Myungsoo could be happy without being able to be himself ,he couldn't help but think his son was weirdly brave to choose the hardest way of everything and live (almost) perfectly with his decisions as well. though it was becoming pretty evident that everything that Myungsoo did would crumble against him pretty soon. Yes, Myungsoo gave his best to love and raise Woohyun and Bumsoo knew that this did bring joy to his son, but as the years passed it was not like he could hide that well how lonely he was becoming.

Ok.” It was the only word that Bumsoo was able to say at this point when he fought hard to control the whirlwind of conflicting emotions inside him and Myungsoo took that as an opportunity to continue.

The plan was quite simple and advantageous for us both. Jihyun would give me the joy of having kids, while I would give her and the kids a family and, with this, we would have financial support from you until we were able to stand on our own legs.”

And then what? Would you have kept lying to us?” Bumsoo managed to ask although he wasn't completely fine with those revelations yet.

Myungsoo scratched his nape nervously and shifted his weight on his feet. “No. If... If we had followed the plan, by the time we would be able to have jobs the twins would already be big enough to understand a few things, not to mention that we would still be young enough to rebuild our lives so we kinda scheduled a divorce.” Bumsoo jaw fell open as Myungsoo continued. “If she was alive we would be divorcing at some point next year and then we would tell you the truth, apologize and return all the money you helped us with, but knowing how guilty she already was within a couple months I think she would have told you the truth already, I mean she told Moonsoo before dying so...”

Wait, Moonsoo knew all of this time?” His father gasped in surprise and Myungsoo rubbed the bridge of his nose to alleviate stress.

I don't think it matters who discovered it first anymore.” He said once he dared a look at his father. “Moonsoo knows because Ji told him directly but I had no idea he knew until recently, and then you said you kind of knew it too since Woohyun was two....”

Yeah, you're right, let's not think about Moonsoo right now, I'll deal with him later. While we are at it, let's forget about the way you used us, your lies, your uality and your profession.” Bumsoo interrupted only to come close to his son and hold him by the shoulders. “ What I want to know is: have you ever thought about Woohyun in this? He is such a loving and sensible child and he worships you and Jihyun, imagine how traumatizing it would have been for him to go through a divorce out of nowhere, after thinking his family was perfect? Gosh, how do you think he will feel when he discovers that all his life is a lie?” He shook his son a bit to get the message across but Myungsoo cast his eyes down again and let his father do whatever, he felt like he deserved. “I'll tell how it is going to be: a mess, Woohyun will be broken hearted when he knows he was not wanted as you make him think, and the no one of us is even blood related to him and the one that really was is dead.”

He then let his son go and started to pace paranoically in front of him.

My god, what if Jihyun mom discovers this and tries to take him away? Gosh, you two are emotionally co-dependent now, this will destroy both of you, what if... what if...” He then abruptly stopped and looked at his son with big scared eyes. “Where is it Woohyun biological father? Does he even know about Woohyun? Gosh, Myungsoo, are you aware of the amount of your you got yourself, and Woohyun, in? What are we going to do?” He asked desperately.

They don't seem to care.” Myungsoo replied between gritted teeth, angered that his father was bringing this up. “Besides Woohyun is my son, he doesn't have my surname because Ji asked me to register him with hers, but my name it is still on his birth certificate, I have all rights....”

And that can mean nothing if his father wants him and proves he didn't know about his existence or if you deceived him to think he was yours. Not to mention if his grandma is the one getting her hands on him we know what poor Woohyunnie will go through. We all could be used for faking registers, stealing a baby, or whatever they throw at us!” Bumsoo pointed exasperated and Myungsoo didn't like where this was going. “And in the best outcome, you would have to share him, oh god! How will you explain Woohyun that?”

HE DID NOT WANT HIM!” Myungsoo yelled, startling his father a bit while walking angrily to the other side of the living room to have some space for himself. “I know someday I will have a lot to explain to him but I won't ever explain the need to share his guard because that WON'T HAPPEN. You know what? If you want to withdraw any kind of support and connection I will understand and try to explain to him, I can even try to pay you back for our expenses till here, but there is no one who will take Woohyun away from me, I don't care if they are blood-related to him, I will fight for him in court if I need, even if that means I will get bankrupt. Woohyun is MINE, and MINE ALONE.” Myungsoo spluttered overwhelmed by emotions.

Father and son held their gazes towards each other as a heavy silence fell upon them. Myungsoo was fuming with a type of anger that Bumsoo only had seen once in his life (though back then it wasn't even to this extent), and while he couldn't quite recognize his quiet, calm, and sometimes shy, son in that minute, he knew Myungsoo was extremely protective of his son so it was perfectly logical to see his son with that much anger and determination if someone were to take Woohyun away from him.

That also worried the patriarch to no end, if Myungsoo was reacting this way when he mentioned the possibility of Woohyun being taken away, he would react ten times worse than that if that was to happen for real and if Woohyun origins didn't bring him trouble, this could.

Bumsoo sighed deeply and dragged himself towards the couch to sit ungracefully there and then rub his hands against his face. This was not a moment for him to pick a fight with his son, not only he didn't know how to deal with this side of his son, he was perfectly aware that what was done was done and they couldn't go back in time to change history, the only thing he could do now was to be the father Myungsoo needed at this moment, calming him and then trying to guide him into damage control and honesty.

Do you want to know something? He asked tiredly though he didn't expect an answer and Myungsoo didn't give him one. Once the shock of Jihyun pregnancy passed I was so excited to have two babies coming, I loved them, I love them since the beginning, but Soohyun didn't make it and then I started to love Woohyun twice as much. He paused to look at his son in the eyes. At this point, it doesn't matter where Woohyun came from because he is here and everyone loves him. You're his father but it is not like your mother and me, and even Moonsoo, can live without him in our lives anymore, we are all too attached.

Myungsoo held his breath, was his father inlying what he thought he was thinking? Myungsoo couldn't believe, nor jump into conclusions so he waited for his father to continue.

I don't know how your mother will react to all of this but, even if I'm hurt, I can tell you that I won't withdraw my support to you.” Bumsoo said as he looked at his son's eyes only to see the younger with his eyes watering and his tense muscles relaxing a bit. I'm not Jihyun mom, I don't turn my back on my son and my grandson when they need me the most, what kind of father I would be if I don't guide you and help you in this situation hum? You should know by now that a father job is never-ending.”

Bumsoo softly patted the spot on the couch beside him and threw a sad smile to his son while Myungsoo waited thirty seconds of hesitance and watering eyes to finally process what his father meant with those words and that simple gesture until he finally moved to go sit by his father and finally be embraced by him as he let some crying happen.

Oh son, where did you get yourself into?” Bumsoo asked as he patted his son back in hopes it would calm him but not expecting an answer. “This all must have been so hard to deal with it.”

I'm sorry, dad.” Myungsoo replied in guilt. “I'm truly sorry. I-I just want to be for Woohyun what you are to me, I love him so, so, so much.”

And I love you as much Myungsoo.” His father added. “And the same way you're ready to do anything for Woohyun I am ready to do anything for you, even more, if that means you, and all of us by default, get to keep our little mandu around.”

I don't deserve such a good father.” Myungsoo whimpered as he heard that and Bumsoo actually had to pull him away in order to dry his tears and properly look at him.

Now, let's not think like that because that won't solve anything. Where is the fierce Myungsoo from a minute ago? I kinda need him in order to do some damage control.” His father said teasingly and Myungsoo softly pushed him away.

I'm right here!” Myungsoo said a bit annoyed but then his expression became sad and he felt tears pooling in his eyes again although he did his best to fight them. “It's just... If Ji was alive at least we would have mutual support and understanding since we were in the same situation but without her here... it's been so hard, so, so hard, and I am not the most courageous person either and... ”

"Even though we kind of discovered or suspected you still told me and Moonsoo the truth right? How does that make you feel?" His father asked softly.

"Better, lighter, but still I feel like crap." The younger mumbled tiredly.

"Well, that's understandable because you haven't said the whole truth yet, at least not to everybody." Bumsoo gave him his input but Myungsoo instantly froze and side-eyed his father cautiously. "What, you do have something else to say?" The elder asked dumbstruck but the lack of answer told him everything he needed to know. "Ok, come on, I just said I wouldn't withdraw support so what's one more lie?"

It is not a lie, just something that happened recently.” Instead of answering his father lifted a brow, prompting for his son to talk so Myungsoo bit his lips hesitantly before speaking. “I think I'm falling in love.”

Now, Bumsoo wanted to be happy for his son, he really wanted to be because he thought Myungsoo was too lonely and too burned with Woohyun, but that now only complicated stuff.

Ok.” Bumsoo said as carefully as he could. “So what are the chances of you starting a relationship right now? Does this guy know about Woohyun? Does he mind him? Where did you even met him? We have to be careful with what kind of people we date even more when that's a child involved, so, come on, tell me everything.” He managed to add sounding more interested in his son love life.

Myungsoo avoided his father eyes to blush, he had a good relationship with his father but he never ever imagined in his wildest dreams discussing this kind of personal stuff with him since he knew they had different interests.

We are not officially dating yet, just testing the waters for about a month or something? But the chances are really high.” He said carefully once he managed to gather some words. “He knows about Woohyun, he isn't really in a position to mind him, and he doesn't. And although Woohyun doesn't know about us yet they already met.”

Oh! That's surprising.” Bumsoo blinked rapidly in genuine surprise. “I thought you were the shy type so I always imagined that if you dated you would take more time to get close to your lover before introducing Woohyunnie.” He then patted his son knee to urge him, all the drama could wait until he had a clear view of everything so he could set up a plan.

Yeah, maybe that would happen if it was anyone else, after all not even my closest friends mingle that much with Woohyun, but things with him happened differently, everywhere I go we bump and as much as we tried to avoid it we couldn't.” Myungsoo said as his cheeks flushed even more although he kept confessing stuff. “At first we didn't like each other that much but after some time we solved our issues then we started to get closer full speed and now I'm even able to trust Woohyun with him.” Bumsoo raised a surprised brow. “I know right?” Myungsoo agreed. “I don't have the luxury to be direct in this kind of stuff because Woohyun is always around, and I know Sungyeol hyung has his own issues too, but he recently became single, and he is in a similar situation because he is raising Sunggyu but then again he is so good looking and he understands my situation so well... This is kind of cheesy but sometimes I feel like we are being forced together by the universe, so I just not struggled with what I have been feeling and asked him out, though it is not exactly like we are literally going out, I mean, we spend our time mainly with the children but it still so good and I was waiting to clear the situation with woohyun even before I started to look for someone but it happened and I feel so lonely and...”

MYUNGSOO!” His father called him raising a bit his voice to get his attention. “I get that you are excited but can you breathe for god sake?” He asked and Myungsoo made a show of breathing deeply as bum soo leaned his back on the couch and started to chuckle to himself as he processed his son babble. “Gosh, I'm so lucky.” He added with irony.

Myungsoo furrowed his brows in confusion. “What do you mean?”

It's just, your mother was so attached to Minyoung noona even though they didn't meet often...”Bumsoo suddenly got awkward and shifted his weight on the couch. “At some point, I even thought your mother was biual and all.”

What?” Myungsoo asked dumbfounded.

Bumsoo chuckled before continuing. “But she isn't. The thing is since all the children were boys they weren't exactly expecting this to be possible... but, you know, Minyoung noona was really pretty, so of course, her children would be too and, now that I know you are gay, news that you are attracted to him were kind of predictable. Your mom will be happy with the news so don't worry a thing about her.” He ended with a deep pensive sigh that somehow unsettled his son.

Myungsoo was a little confused so he squinted his sharp eyes at his father. “You don't sound like you liked that part...” He pointed.

It's not a matter of liking Myungsoo.” His father said with some hesitation. “I'm just worried.”

About what exactly?” Myungsoo lifted his brows in questioning. “I just said he doesn't mind Woohyun and he isn't in a position to complain either when he has Sunggyu.”

I know, and I am thankful for that part, it means fewer problems in a way.”

Then?”

Bumsoo sighed deeply because he didn't know how to approach this subject.“Minyoung noona was best friends with your mother and girls talk son, and then later your mother would share everything with me, are you aware of where I am getting at?”

No.” Myungsoo frowned genuinely lost so Bumsoo sighed once more.

Judging by how you two behaved back in Incheon I get that you two have some synergy going on and that is a really good thing if you plan on entering a relationship while having two kids around and that's great. I also noticed that he is still a bit lost with his situation and ...”

We are working on that.” Myungsoo interrupted only for his father to look at him with a bit of annoyance because he was doing his best to build an argument and his son was not helping him.

What I mean is, I know you're probably excited because it seems to be the first time you're feeling like this and because Sungyeol is good looking smart and probably is going to places, not to mention that he is in a similar situation so he is able to understand the difficulties of raising a child by himself, there are things about him that you should be.....” The elder paused as he thought how to express himself in a smooth way, but it wasn't like his brain was in full speed after all the new information he processed today. “...careful about” He added.

What do you mean?” Myungsoo crossed his arms over his chest in a defensive posture and squinted his eyes even more at his father.

You know that I love you, right? You know I am only worried because I want the best for you, right?” Suddenly Bumsoo changed his tactics and Myungsoo lost his patience.

Can you tell me what are you worried about already? Stop beating around the bush.” He complained in the end.

Ok, I will be direct.” Bumsoo agreed and took a deep intake of air. “I am worried because I know he had troubles to bond with other people since he was young and it wasn't like his mother stayed around him to teach him about that and then, I'm not fully aware of what it happened to him but it seems that he has a bit of dark past too, I don't know if he had depression or something like that, he seems pretty normal at first sight too but... you understand now why am I worried about you?”

Dad, I am perfectly aware of everything you just said.” Myungsoo said much for Bumsoo surprise. “It's not like he can't connect with other people at all, he has friends and, aside helping each other with the kids, we spend a lot of time talking about everything and nothing at all, I believe if he wasn't able to connect with me he wouldn't have accepted this.”

Are you sure he can really develop feelings for you and he is not trying to be with you just because you're convenient from looks to help?” Bumsoo asked a bit skeptically and Myungsoo expression darkened.

I am aware that I am convenient when it comes to the kids, but is not like he puts fewer efforts than me in this area. And I don't think hyung is that shallow, from what I could gather he is usually scared to get close to people but emotional connection is what he needs the most so when he deems someone is worthy he puts effort to overcome his own interactions problems. He just needs a lot of love and patience, two things that I have a lot.” Myungsoo explained the best he could with that tone that almost pleaded his dad to believe him but when Bumsoo didn't give him a reply he added something else. “We had an honest conversation, I'm fully aware where I'm getting my self into and he is fully aware of my circumstances as well.”

Well, you probably know him the best.” Bumsoo admitted with a sigh but didn't change his worried expression. “But even so you have to be careful with him.” Bumsoo stood his ground with his opinion then shifted in his place as he ordered his thoughts and finally grabbed his son's hands. “ You have some heavy secrets son, which we will give you all the support to get through, but I want you to be aware of the huge blow all of this will be for Woohyun and how you're the one that will have to deal with that directly, and when that happens all your focus has to be on him. I'm just saying that if you really do enter a serious relationship with Sungyeol he can't add problems, he has to sum on your life, offer support, cheer you up, be a real partner, these kinds of things, do you get it? You can't have more on your plate because you won't be able to deal with it, Woohyun situation is already too huge and demanding of attention.”

Myungsoo looked from his dad's eyes to their joint hands and gave a little squeeze as he nodded, finally understanding his father point of view although it still left him kind of sad. Noticing that, Bumsoo raised one hand and ran his fingers on the younger hair, a comforting gesture Myungsoo often did to Woohyun. “Myungsoo, despite all the hard work you put to raise your son you can't hide anymore how much lonely you are, so if you think Sungyeol can be a good thing for you then go for it, just be sure, at least for now, to be careful with Woohyun so you don't worse things, ok?”

Myungsoo nodded in silence again, he knew his father was right, Woohyun knew nothing, not about his origins, not about Myungsoo's upcoming relationship with Sungyeol and for an innocent kid that idealistic, and weirdly traditional, on his views on love, things could get ugly, like really, really ugly.

Bumsoo hugged his son then and he felt Myungsoo relaxing in his arms, he knew that his son situation was a complicated and the worst was yet to come but this conversation was extremely necessary, not only for Myungsoo to come clean and become less burdened by the weight of his lies but for Bumsoo to show that it didn't matter if he grew up and had a son of his own, he was still his caring and supporting father and nothing would change that.

They stayed like that for a while as they reconnected with that hug and Myungsoo finally put up his strong front to the side and finally let his seven years of emotions flow freely in the form of quiet tears. When he managed to collect himself a bit Bumsoo pulled out form the hug and straightened himself getting serious.

As much as I was enjoying our hug and think that it is what you've been needing for a while, we still have to solve Woohyun situation.” His father said carefully.

I know.” Myungsoo sighed as he tried to clean his face the best he could, a gesture that just made him seem fifteen years younger than what he really was for his dad. “I... I want to come clean to him, I even tried to tell him about myself and Sungyeol hyung, but I don't know what to do... he has this idea about his mother and I in his head that is really hard to shake....” Myungsoo trailed worriedly before looking at his dad with a defeated look. “He gets incredibly upset when I say I'm feeling lonely and I want somebody to love, he says I'd be cheating on his mom even if she is already gone. He finished in frustration.”

Myungsoo, you're letting Woohyun be too unrealistic. I think you should start to be more open about his mom, tell him things, explain that she had flaws too, show your own flaws too, explain it to him, maybe showing him some pictures, hum? Maybe show him some movie with a similar situation, I don't know, things that make him wonder and then you confront and explain.” Bumsoo suggested softly. “As for your relationship with Sungyeol... I don't have the slightest idea how things will progress between you two, but maybe you should be very open on how happy he does make you feel though at the same time you should be careful with what he sees, I think it would be easier for him to understand if you explained his origins before explaining about yourself, because one thing can justify the other but if it's the other way around he will only ended up confused and angry.”

It is just so hard, I've been trying to hint to him for some weeks already but I only make him upset.” Myungsoo sighed tiredly.

it up and keep trying.” Bumsoo blurted. “Don't force anything, be subtle but keep trying to put his feet on the ground. I love the way our Namu is but he is already seven, he should know already that reality is different to what he expects, discuss reality with him.” He stopped to think a bit but then he came up with another idea."Involve Sungyeol on that.” He said and his son furrowed his brows in confusion. “When we talked back in Incheon I noticed he has some dry views on life, almost as if he was at least ten years older or something, maybe he will be helpful to demystify life a bit, maybe this will be good for you too.”

Myungsoo just raised his brows in questioning when his father decided he had enough and clapped his hands.

OK, you're advised on that part, try what I said slowly.” He said then moved to the next subject. “Now, I want you to go over Woohyun origins again with as much detail as possible. This area isn't much my expertise but I'll try to talk with some colleagues and do some research to know what we can do so if they strike we are prepared. Let's start with his biological father identity, do you know who he is?”

Myungsoo sighed deeply and let himself lean on the couch as he rubbed his hands over his face. “Yeah, I know that jerk, he was from my school, he is a couple of years older.” Myungsoo answered tiredly then looked at his father eyes as he begun. “Everything started when.....”