Analogies - We won't talk anymore

Tangled

 

 

In the morning Sunggyu looked on the bed below to watch Sungjong tightly enveloped on his blankets, sound asleep. He observed his brother for a few minutes to see if he would wake up but Sungjong seemed tired so he carefully climbed out of his bed.

He directed himself towards his oldest brother room and paced a bit outside his door, he wanted to come inside and talk to his hyung but, at the same time, he wasn't sure if he should. He could hear some whispers from inside but he couldn't identify who was talking, well, at least it meant that the hyungs inside were already awakened, so, after a deep breath, he decided to push the door open.

Are you sure you’re feeling better?” Hoya asked as he patted gently Sungyeol head, that had his head on the elder lap.

No, I still feel like a crap, but I think...” Sungyeol moved in bed to be able to look up at his cousin's eyes but in the middle of his movement, he noticed Sunggyu looking at them while fiddling with his fingers. “Sunggyu?” The boy seemed a bit in conflict if he should come to them or not but Sungyeol sighed and sat down to beckon Sunggyu closer to him. “Come here.”

Sunggyu moved forward to approach the other two and while Hoya yawned he promptly asked a question. “Hyung, why you and Myungsoo hyung broke up?”

Sungyeol gulped hard and side-eyed his cousin, that just shrugged, so he took a deep breath to be able to explain. “Myungsoo and I encountered a problem we couldn't overcome so we broke up.”

Sunggyu thought a bit and then tried a second question. “Myungsoo hyung didn't want to tell Woohyunnie to not upset him?”

No.” Sungyeol forced a smile. “I mean, there is that but we broke up because of something else.”

Like what?” The boy demanded.
“Tell him, he might not understand but at least he will know there wasn't really any problem between you two and Myungsoo is just upset right now.” Hoya encouraged and Sungyeol sighed again.

I, somehow, was assigned as Myungsoo teacher, therefore, I can't date him.”

Sunggyu quickly blinked. “Why not?”

Sungyeol looked at his cousin again, practically begging for help so Hoya decided to do the explanation this time.

Sunggyu, think about Dongwoo hyung for a moment. Since last year when Dongwoo hyung and I got close, you see him outside school right? So, out from all the boys and girls, you were able to know him better.” Sunggyu nodded in agreement. “Now imagine, let's say, someone you don't like...”

Mingyu!” Sunggyu promptly offered.

Mingyu, right. Imagine Mingyu discovered you and Dongwoo hyung are close outside classroom, that he even attended your birthday party, wouldn't Mingyu feel jealous?” Hoya asked and Sunggyu smiled.

I'm Dongwoo hyung favorite, Woohyunnie is second place, he told me so.”

Yeah, but what I'm trying to say is that Mingyu could think that you don't study and that Dongwoo hyung makes things easy for you because he likes you, so you get good grades because Dongwoo hyung favors you.” Sunggyu opened his mouth in surprise as he processed what Hoya just said, but it was Minggyu they were talking about, he totally could do this. “This is the situation Sungyeol and Myungsoo are in, and to avoid that they had to break up so Myungsoo can finish college and Sungyeol can get a new job.”

Sunggyu pouted. “So Myungsoo hyung will break his promise and are not gonna take care of you anymore, hyung?”

Sungyeol smiled tiredly. “I know this isn't exactly what anyone likes but breaking up because of this means that in a way I'm taking care of him and he is taking care of me, technically he is not breaking his promise.”

The boy nodded in understanding before he threw another question. “But nothing will change, right? Myungsoo hyung will still let Woohyunnie and I play, right?”

I don't know, we weren't able to discuss that.” Sungyeol said with a guilty sigh.

Then maybe you should talk and discuss how things are gonna be, it would be bad for the kids to have to separate because of your guy's relationship.” Hoya offered his thoughts.

I don't think he will talk to me again that soon, he is upset.” Sungyeol looked down dispirited.

Take Sunggyu with you and let the boy do the talking. Myungsoo doesn't seem like the type of person that takes his anger on other people, much less a kid. My guess is that if the kids are there he will at least hear.” Hoya suggested then yawned again.

Would you help me Gyu?”

Yes!” The boy nodded eagerly.

Sungyeol then proceeded to crawl out of his bed and then pulled Sunggyu to come with him. He couldn't care less if his face was a mess, if Sunggyu was in his pajamas, he would try to talk to his ex-lover and at least clarify the part they weren't able to talk about the night before.

Come on Gyu, let's go.” Sungyeol urged and reached a hand for the boy that grabbed the next second but then Sunggyu door opened and Sungjong appeared in front of them.

Where are you going?” The teenager asked sleepily while holding his phone. “Hyung, do you have a charger, my battery is dying.” He showed the device at his brother but Sungyeol just pushed him aside to be able to pass by him.

It's in my room, now excuse me, Sunggyu and I will try to talk to Myungsoo again.” He said as he and Sunggyu moved towards the door and Sungjong made a confused face.

About the kids this time.” Hoya explained as he approached the teenager from behind.

Is he, ok?” Sungjong asked and Hoya shrugged but pushed Sungjong to follow the other two.

Still sad, but he thinks he got this.” Hoya nodded then yawned before he pushed the door opened.

Myungsoo!” “Myungsoo hyung!” They heard the pair of brothers to call and knock on the neighbor's door, Sunggyu even tried the handle but it was locked which for Sunggyu meant they weren't up yet but Sungyeol could only guess there was another meaning now. “Myungsoo!” He tried again but Sunggyu pulled his shirt to get his attention.

I think they are still sleeping.”

Then maybe you should come back later, let's sleep a bit, we stayed up all night.” Hoya suggested and Sungyeol was about to explain nervously that he didn't think that was the case when Sungjong phone vibrated and he tried to sleepily read the message.

Wait, Moonsoo hyung just sent me a message.” The middle brother said while opening his eyes big and everybody looked at him in confusion. “It seems they just arrived in Incheon and will spend the rest of the weekend there, and he says that … oh, my battery is gone, sorry.”

Maybe he needs more time alone.” Hoya offered once Sungyeol looked down on his feet.

Well, he isn't exactly alone if Woohyun and Moonsoo hyung are with him.” Sungjong pointed while Sungyeol hands formed fists and he gritted his teeth to control some conflicting emotions he had at the moment.

Hyung, don't be mad.” The maknae pleaded. “We can try to talk to them when they come back.”

I'm not mad.” The elder denied but it was evident in his voice he was trying to conceal his real feelings and thoughts about that.

You seem to like it, but don't worry, if he still doesn't want to see you I can convince him to listen to you one more time, he has to appear to work soon.” Hoya offered but Sungyeol put his hands up and waved.

Don't! Don't interfere or else he might want to quit his job.” Both Hoya and Sungjong opened their mouths to say otherwise but Sungyeol was sure this could happen if Myungsoo didn't feel comfortable around Hoya.

Besides, Myungsoo had a supportive family that had some money and that didn't take back their offer to help him even after the big secret was revealed, so the younger ex-lover just had to pop his parents one question to have enough back up to avoid him as long as he could. The thought that Myungsoo didn't want to see him anymore already brought tears to his eyes, but Sungyeol, albeit hurt, was not gonna give up.

You know what? This situation looks like a chess match to me.” He said with some confidence.

How so?” Both Hoya and Sungjong asked at the same time.

Imagine Myungsoo is a chess competition playing against 'life' to get his graduation as a reward and each one of the pieces in the board represents one aspect of his life or a person important to him that he can use on a strategy to beat his opponent..”

I don't understand that kind of analogies.” Hoya sighed tiredly as Sungjong found that kind of funny.

And what piece each one of them would be?” The middle brother asked.

Moonsoo and Jihyun would be his knights but Myungsoo already lost one of them. His parents are his rooks but they are taking care of other attacks, job and basketball would be his bishops that take care of his financial situation his closest friends could be his pawns and so on.”

Sunggyu pulled Sungyeol shirt to gain attention. “Is Woohyunnie his king?

You're understanding the analogy well.” Sungyeol patted Sunggyu head which made the boy feel somehow proud that he could follow his brother way of thinking before the elder turned tot he other two adults. “The king is an important piece, not because he is the strongest but because, without him, nothing can be done and the game is lost. Without Woohyun nothing else matters for Myungsoo so nothing can happen to Woohyun or else Myungsoo won't be able to graduate.”

Then what you would be, hyung?” Sungjong asked curiously.

I...” Sungyeol inhaled deeply. “I have a multiple role in this.”

Huh?” Hoya and Sunggyu became confused.

As Myungsoo adviser, I'm a pawn, I'm helping him with strategy as a friend just like Sunggyu did in the match he played against me and as Myungsoo lover I'm...” He hesitated but the other three insisted with their eyes for him to finish. “...his queen.”

We see here that confidence is not your problem.” Sungjong snorted.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHA, that's so funny, you're comparing yourself with the best piece of the game, the most powerful one..” Hoya laughed but was promptly shut up by Sunggyu that hit his belly.

So?” The boy asked with certain anger.

Yes, but I didn't think Sungyeol thought would be so powerful in Myungsoo life.” Sungjong said.

It's not a matter of being powerful.” Sungyeol said. “With the right strategy any piece can be threatening or powerful, besides the queen is not indispensable.”

It is dispensable? I thought after the king it was the most valuable piece in the board.” Hoya said in surprise.

You clearly don't know much about chess.” Sungyeol tsk-ed at Hoya. “If the strategy asks for it, we can sacrifice it.”

Hyung, do you want to promote a pawn later?” Sunggyu asked.

Whats' that?” Hoya asked once again.

When the pawn reaches the other side of the board you necessarily need to exchange it for something else, it also can't be the king.” Sunggyu said to Hoya then turned to his brother. “Does that mean you want to hook up with Myungsoo hyung again?” He asked which made Hoya frown and Sungjong be happy that his brother didn't seem to want to give up.

Sungyeol smile at Sunggyu fondly. “Don't you understand things well? That's exactly what I mean.” Sunggyu made a marveled expression as Sungjong noticed his cousin frown. “Though for that, I need to talk to Myungsoo again, play the whole match, and win. But since he isn't home, why don't we play Sunggyu?” The taller said as he opened the door and stepped inside.

Can I play with the white pieces?” The boy asked as he forgot everything and followed his brother inside.

Both Hoya and Sungjong decided to not enter right away so once the door closed the younger positioned himself in front of his cousin. “It seems like Sungyeol hyung isn't giving up on Myungsoo hyung and is set on fighting for him, I'd say good job hyung, but you're frowning, why?”

I'm frowning because as much as I am happy with Sungyeol attitude, Myungsoo has free will, he might decide he doesn't want to date Sungyeol anymore and continue pretending he is a straight guy in front of Woohyun and if that happens how do you think Sungyeol will react.”

, you're right, it might break his heart.” Sungjong gasped.

No, not only that.” Hoya shook his head. “Let me try to explain this to you with an analogy as well... “ He breathed deeply and continue. “Your parents made decisions about his life jointly but why only your mom gets all of his hate?” Sungjong blinked at that, that was a question he always wanted to know, but since his hyung didn't even begin reading her letters they both couldn't talk about it yet, and he didn't see how that could relate with his hyung situation with the neighbor. “Despite connecting better with his father Sungyeol loved your mom the most.”

Are sure? That doesn't seem the same story that I know.” Sungjong squinted his eyes in suspicion.

As a sure as a nonspecialist can be.” Hoya said confidently “I'm sure you can tell that Sungyeol has more of your mother than he likes to admit and the most alike we are with a person the more we clash. These common traits played a big part in their relationship because they had different views but the insistence, the strictness, the pride was there.”

Have you ever told him that?”

You think I didn't?” Hoya frowned a bit surprised. “I did, but he wasn't ready to accept that back when we talked about it, but analyzing his relationship with his mother is not the point here, focus Sungjong.” The elder said as he poked Sungjong forehead.

Then what is really the point of this analogy?”

The point is that his relationship with Myungsoo is the most important relationship he has in life right now, his biggest love, as his mother was one day. But with Myungsoo he was able to connect and things were becoming smooth but intense. But, if this plan backfires somehow or if Myungsoo pushes him away, he will get to know new parts of hell, don't you think?”

Sungjong gulped hard at this. “What do we do to avoid that?”

I don't know.” Hoya sighed. “ We can start some counter measures, we have Sunggyu now and maybe if we became more present in his life...” He then looked at his cousin again. “It would be nice if your boyfriend played spies too.”

Oh, he will, or I will get information from their mother herself.” Sungjong said confidently, he could convince Moonsoo to do what he wanted just fine. “Anything else we could do?”

Maybe we should have a talk with Sungyeol friends of college to know what happens there and Dongwoo hyung to know how they behave when they drop the boys in school, then, I don't know, we can plan something later.”

Ok, I will hunt them both on SNS but I don't think I have the patience for that Chanyeol guy.” Sungjong said after a brief thought.

Let Dongwoo hyung take care of this, he knows the guy girlfriend, that seems like a reasonable person, maybe if he helps we won't have any problem with them.” When Sungjong nodded in agreement Myungsoo forced a smile. “I'll move in for a while, that should do to distract him a little.” Hoya decided before he gently pushed the door open so the could enter his cousin apartment away.

____________________________________________________

As soon as Hoya started chewing his last piece of omelet, his plate disappeared from the table and while Sungyeol moved to his American kitchen he eyed Sunggyu, that, by a miracle, was pouting because he wants to eat more. Hoya could only sigh before he tried to talk to Sungyeol.

Some of us didn't finish it yet.” He complained.

Some of us need to get a child in school and a class to teach today, among other stuff .” It was Sungyeol dry reply and Sunggyu eyes became round as he asked Hoya for some kind of help because his brother was becoming weird.

Hoya sighedagain but got up to remove the cups from the table then moved to help Sungyeol in the kitchen. “You're starting to scare Sunggyu, stop with that or the boy will freak, you don't have to keep a stick up to your ....” Hoya was whispering some scolding so Sunggyu wouldn't hear from the table but Sungyeol was quick to interrupt him.

I don't enjoy as much as you.” Sungyeol countered sassily and Hoya's ears grew pink.

Wha-at?” The elder was taken aback and Sungyeol raised a brow at him and smiled.

Did I hit the nail even though I was also using a metaphor?”

Ahem, no, hum, no.” Hoya stuttered then glanced back at Sunggyu that was hesitant if he should go brush his teeth or if he should stay to see if Hoya would perform some magic in his hyung behavior so he could get to eat more omelet.

Sungyeol followed his cousin's eyes and upon noticing Sunggyu sitting with a clueless/worriedly expression he decided to urge the boy. “Go brush your teeth, we still need to pick Woohyun up and talk to Myungsoo.”

Sunggyu didn't want that his brother mean-self to come back so he decided to obey. At least the older wasn't asking him something that absurd and, yes, he wanted to see Woohyunnie soon. As soon as he left for the bathroom Hoya decided to address Sungyeol again.

Be careful or your hard work of months will go down the rail, do you want that?”

Of course not.”

Then why you're being like this?” Hoya questioned and Sungyeol hesitated but spilled the beans rather quickly.

I'm... I'm nervous ok?” Sungyeol said as he decided to stop washing the dishes and closed the faucet. “He didn't come back this weekend, he doesn't answer phone calls – Moonsoo is keeping his mouth shut for Sungjong and me too - so we didn't talk about how we will deal with the things related to the kids or how I still want to date him after this is over. We have to make this choice official today if he decided to be reasonable and think about the future, but these aren't matters that I can discuss with him in college grounds, I can't be close with him there.”

Hoya wiped the hands he had somehow wet in a towel and then he patted Sungyeol in the shoulder. “You don't need to be so nervous. If you talk to him there just avoid these issues and when you get home you clarify them. Besides, you know I'll be here for you too.”

Sungyeol immediately squinted his eyes at his cousin. “Are you not planning to leave?”

Hoya smiled and gently placed his hands on Sungyeol shoulder and turned the younger to him. “It wouldn't be wise, we both know what I want to avoid.”

Sungyeol pulled back and avoided Hoya gaze by looking to the forgotten plates in the sink. “I'm not gonna do that again, this has a way out.” He said in a grave tone, but desperately wanting to convince Hoya he wouldn't do what the other feared.

I was talking about taking care of the boys while you two talked.” Hoya blinked feigning innocence. “What are you talking about? Besides, I want to talk to him too to guarantee that we are cool.”

Sungyeol looked at him with bigger eyes and as Hoya frowned he made a face. “Troll. Wish me luck.” He pushed Hoya right shoulder without much force then passed him to call his brother. “Kim Sunggyu, are you ready?”

As Hoya wished good luck and Sunggyu reappeared with sparkling teeth and his school bag so Sungyeol opened the door and left with his brother without further words only for Hoya to sigh in relief. Sungyeol didn't like to be reminded of his suicide attempt because even if he blamed his mother he regretted that deeply, so whenever that was mentioned he would get extremely down or defensive. Still, Hoya managed to leave a message between the lines, he would not let Sungyeol abandon him this way and do it again under his nose, for their both sake.

He turned back to finish washing the dishes and he was halfway through the cutlery when the door opened again and Sungyeol poked his head inside.

He isn't home.”

I'll send a message to Dongwoo hyung to hold him.” Hoya suggested as he closed the faucet and moved to look for his phone.

I'll cook dinner.” Sungyeol said – which was kinda equivalent to saying thank you in Sungyeol-language - and was about to close the door again when he opened up a second time. “If you're staying, then fill up my pantry, I'll pay you back. I'll send a list.”

Yah! I have to work too.” Hoya half heartily complained but then again Sungyeol already closed his door.

___________________________________________

Myungsoo hyung I missed you and Woohyunnie so much, where have you been?~~~ Can Woohyunnie come over to play tonight?” Sunggyu whined as he tried grabbing Sungyeol by the arm then wriggled his shoulders cutely, while they stood outside of his school.

You're kinda good on this.” Sungyeol blinked impressed and Sunggyu smiled widely. “What if he hesitates or says no?” Sunggyu immediately pouted and made his eyes as big as he was capable of and Sungyeol sighed and ran a hand over his face. “No, no, no, I won't resort to emotional blackmail, he will think I forced you and he will hate me.”

It was Sunggyu turn to sigh then. “I want to help, I want everyone to be happy together.”

Sungyeol inhaled deeply and grabbed Sunggyu gently by the shoulders. “Look, this can be confusing, you might not understand...”

I do.” The boy protested.

... if you want to help me just eat, sleep, do your homework and ask permission, then we won't have problems, ok?”

But hyung, you're changing again.” The boy said bluntly and Sungyeol jaw hung low. “though you're not scary yet.”

I know, but I'm just a bit nervous and stressed, we will not fight among ourselves ok? No one in our family will fight, I will give you my word.” Sungyeol looked in Sunggyu eyes and the boy saw determination and sincerity in the elder's eyes so he nodded. “Now let's go.”

He tapped Sunggyu shoulder and they moved inside the school and while Sungyeol seemed kinda anxious to arrive in front of Sunggyu classroom, the boy had a bit difficult to catch up with the elder long steps. As long as they got there Dongwoo came running to talk to them while Sungyeol searched for Woohyun or Myungsoo's in the room.

Sungyeol, are you ok?”

Peachy.” Sungyeol sassed then shook his head. “Sorry, I just... I need to talk to Myungsoo urgently and he avoided me all weekend.”

I know, Hoya has been updating me, but he didn't appear with Woohyun yet.”

Urgh!” Sungyeol stomped his feet on the ground a bit childishly. “He is trying to torture my nerves, I'm sure of it.”

Hyung.” Sunggyu pulled Sungyeol to get his brother attention after he collected some air back. “Can I play spies?”

Play...” Sungyeol was about to scold the boy for asking a weird question in a time like this but then changed his mind in the middle of his sentence. “Yes, play spies, play all you want, talk to Woohyunnie and discover what Myungsoo told him and if he is angry with me.”

Yes!” The boy said confidently but the next second he grabbed his backpack strap nervously. “What if-what if Woohyunnie doesn't come today.”

He will.” As he remembered what Sunggyu felt the last time Woohyun skipped school, Dongwoo tied to assure him but at the same time threw a pleading look to Sungyeol to do something. “Gyu, listen.” Sungyeol squatted to be able to be at the same eye-level or something close to it. “They are fine, they are in Incheon and they are healthy ok? They are just late, I'm sure Woohyun will arrive at any moment and you'll talk a lot with your friend, play spies ok? You don't need to cry or anything if Woohyun doesn't come maybe he just visiting his mom ok? And you're a strong boy, you can handle this if you're upset then go boss some kid.” Sungyeol coaxed.

Yah, don't say that! He might do it.” Dongwoo complained.

Haneul-shiiii, can you take my backpack to my desk.” Sunggyu instantly ordered and the boy came running to help him with it and Dongwoo sighed heavily.

Where is Woohyunnie?” The boy asked as he grabbed the backpack and Sunggyu wriggled himself out of it.

Woohyunnie is not sick, he'll come soon.” Sunggyu said confidently and the boy nodded and ran away to place it on Sunggyu desk.

Now, there you go.” Sungyeol smiled at his brother. “You can do anything, you're Kim Sunggyu, and you have me supporting you for everything, fighting.”

Fighting.” Sunggyu cheered before he followed the kid, Haneul, and moved away from his brother.

Really Sungyeol?” Dongwoo asked in disbelief. “Sunggyu is already the boss here, the boys that bullied him last year asked forgiveness the other day because they wanted to play with Woohyun, and they actually cried when Sunggyu said no and Woohyun started ignoring them just because Sunggyu didn't like them.”

Well they should not bully people for starters, Sunggyu has no obligation to forgive in this case and I won't order him to do it so.” Sungyeol said very matter of factually.

But forgiveness is something good.” Dongwoo insisted.

Sungyeol merely rolled his eyes at the pink haired teacher. “If Sunggyu freaks out call Sungjong, I can't leave college today so he might come with Hoya hyung to pick him up, and while you're at it, tell him to go back home.”

He won't go back home, until he thinks you're fine.” Dongwoo explained.

I'm fine, I just need to talk to Myungsoo.” Sungyeol whined. “If he comes, send me a message ok? Now I got to go.” Before Dongwoo could say anything more Sungyeol waved at his brother and turned around to leave school.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn it, damn it, damn it, Sungyeol hissed in his mind half an hour later as he ran through the hallways of his college, there was a bit of traffic today too and he was totally late, there was no way he could wander around in Myungsoo department and try to find his classroom, that big time.

Sungyeol couldn't believe, that aside from spending the weekend away - to think about something there was not much thinking to do because they didn't have that many options – it was very plausible that Myungsoo would skip his only class if he didn't even appear in the due time to drop Woohyun in school. He was clueless about the real progress in Myungsoo project but if Myungsoo really wanted to graduate every minute counted, they couldn't lose time.

As he ran without paying attention he bumped hard on Chanyeol - that was equally late - when he wanted to enter the classroom he was supposed to teach. , this little detail that was nothing for both of them would make other students to pester him and eventually complicate things even more if they found out about Myungsoo. He made an annoyed expression at his friend, that slid with a sheepish smile inside the classroom and then Sungyeol entered right after to start his lesson.

Once the class was over and the majority of the kids (actually most of them had the same age as Sungyeol) were gone, Sungyeol was gathering his belongings when Chanyeol approached him.

Hyung!”

Chanyeol!” Sungyeol stopped what he was doing to glare at his friend.

Can I talk to you?” The other asked and Sungyeol resumed sorting his things.

If you have doubts you can talk to me in the office.” Sungyeol grabbed his bag and started to walk towards the exit as his friend followed him.

It's not actually a doubt but I wanted to ask you a question.”

We can't be seen having such long talks, Chanyeol. Even more if it is about personal stuff, you know people are saying I'm favoring you already!”

That's bull.” Chanyeol said in the hallway. “You don't even make writing a paper together easy, let alone the exams and assignments. I had high marks because I worked my off for it.”

Sungyeol stopped and turned around to look at his friends. “Yes, but do you think people care about that? People here don't like me Chanyeol, some Ph.D. students are gonna be my competition for professor Jeon vacant spot, they want to bring me down. We've talked about this before right?”

And I do, but Friday...”

Sungyeol promptly interrupted. “Friday you saw my presentation as a student that wanted to know more about the subject you're studying, nothing more, nothing less.”

But...”

Sungyeol lowered his volume to hiss at his friend insistence. “Just, please, keep your mouth shut about everything that you know like I asked you to do yesterday.” Sungyeol then turned around to go. “If you have any doubts about the subject I'm in the office Monday, Wednesday and Friday all day, you'll just need to knock.”

Wait a minute...” Chanyeol called as soon as they both left the classroom but their conversation had to come to an end when they spotted Sandara waiting for them.

Sungyeol!” She called then looked softly at her boyfriend. “Channie!”

Dara noona!” Chanyeol smiled widely and every enamored, forgetting for a moment he was quarreling with his friend.

Can you take him away from me?” Sungyeol pleaded as he pointed at his younger friend.

Actually I came to take you. The head of our department is calling you in his office.”

Sungyeol would be happy really, but her tone made him suspicious, was there a problem? Did hid department got a wind of the situation? Or maybe he was doing something wrong? Maybe the students were complaining about him too...

Am I in trouble?” He asked.

Oh, no, there is a journalist searching for you.” She informed.

A journalist?” Sungyeol and Chanyeol couldn't help but be confused but the girl shrugged cluelessly. “What can I have…” Sungyeol blinked a couple of times.

The girl shrugged but grabbed him by the arm. “I don't know but I'm freaking curious, so come on.”

Hey... what about...” Chanyeol was ready to complain when his girlfriend turned to him.

You had a meeting with Hyekyo noona right?”

The other tall boy made a displeased expression but didn't say anything when she placed a finger over her lips to ask him to shut his mouth when Sungyeol started to guess the reason a journalist was looking for him when he turned his back.

_______________________________________________

Forty minutes later, Chanyeol walked around greeting people like the popular guy he was while thinking about the last events after he came out of his adviser office. He knew that he couldn't latch as much on his favorite hyung/guide as much as he did the past three and half years because of the assistance Sungyeol was giving to the Song couple, but he was dying to know more about the events of Friday and wanted to approach the guy about it again. Even more when he and his girlfriend received a phone call from Dongwoo and received messages on their SNS from Sungjong saying 'to not screw anyone, keep a secret and report any possible future weird behavior' to him. He had a bad feeling since he received that message.

He was about to leave his department and go to the cafeteria to wait for his girlfriend when he spotted someone a little lost that could enlighten him talking to a girl from his department. Chanyeol patted the girl shoulder for attention and offered with a big smile. “I'll take it from here, thank you Yerim-shi.” Myungsoo sighed deeply and avoided the tall boy gaze and the girl looked from one another but then shrugged and decided to go. Once she left, Chanyeol was about to open his mouth to greet the younger but the guy started to walk aimlessly so he had to follow him.

Are you looking for Sungyeol hyung?”

Myungsoo stopped, balled his hands into fists but didn't turn around to face the other. Actually, I was hoping to talk to professor Song Hyekyo.” He said in a serious tone.

Oh, I just came from her office, come with me, I’'ll take you there, I told you that you have a friend in me, right?” Chanyeol offered and moved forward to place an arm around Myungsoo shoulders, but the said guy instantly avoided and finally looked at him.

I appreciate your help to guide the way but you don't need to be that friendly.”

Chanyeol sighed. “I know you were annoyed by the conversation we had last time when we were alone and said we could coexist as Sungyeol hyung friends, but, come on! I was being serious when I said I wanted to be your friend, we could go to double dates.” Myungsoo snorted so the taller tried again. “We can go dinner again on that restaurant where we surprised him, what do you think?” Myungsoo gritted his teeth to hold himself and Chanyeol insisted. “Come on, don't be like this, Hyung already treated me coldly today, don't catch his grumpiness too, give Dara noona and I a chance. “

With that Myungsoo had enough. “Look, Chanyeol shi, this won't be happening, not now nor ever and that's not because I don't want to give you a chance but because I wouldn't have anyone to accompany me like that. Now can you just take me to professor Song office, please?”

Chanyeol became several shades of pale, they broke up after Friday? Really? He couldn't believe that, did they fight? But his hyung was so in love…. And he knew the ethic problems that appeared once Sungyeol was assigned to be Myungsoo external adviser scared the hell out of him but he and Dara swore to themselves, and Dongwoo, and Sungjong, they wouldn't tell anyone so why…. Unless this guy was caught cheating his hyung or Sungyeol discovered he was being played, or both, or he was mean to Sunggyu, or...

Man, what did you do to him?” Chanyeol asked after he couldn't find an answer, though if they broke up that explained perfectly why his hyung was being so uptight this morning.

How about you try to ask your friend what he did to me?” Myungsoo promptly retorted.

He did something? Him? What?” The taller basically stuttered because he knew Sungyeol sometimes gave it hard (maybe too hard) but usually he was not the one to start certain things.

Myungsoo avoided Chanyeol gaze as his eyes became glassy and then his Adam’s apple went up and down, signaling that this is something that was hard for him to talk about it. “We’re over.” Myungsoo finally mumbled after a while.

Chanyeol morphed his expression to one of sadness mixed with some pity. The basketball player hadn’t said much but it was enough to know that it was Sungyeol that ended things while Myungsoo was against it, and that made him be sure of two things: 1- since Sungyeol was being happy and soft before there was no other issue between them aside this ing ethics problem, and 2- Myungsoo genuinely loved his hyung and that made Chanyeol like him so much more.

I’m sorry I've misjudged you.” Chanyeol said and Myungsoo turned to look at him in questioning. “I was kinda skeptical with things between you in the beginning and I feel like a douche now.” The taller slightly elaborate, he didn't want to in more than he should because not only he knew he wasn't close enough to Myungsoo to do that, but he also knew he would hurt him intently. Besides he could somehow still get answers from Sungyeol another moment.

Myungsoo sighed. “It's not like it’s gonna change anything, can you please take me to professor song office now?”

I.. sure, this way.”

Chanyeol guided Myungsoo while thinking deeply not only about the newly acquired information but how to ambush and talk to his hyung about how to undo this, after all, if they hid well… the tall boy quickly shook his head when he remembered that people were accusing Sungyeol to favor him. Of course that wasn't true but people would say it was Sungyeol nature to favor people he liked - and maybe he wasn't aware of all facts and strategies between the couple.

Gosh, what a ed up situation.” He mumbled to himself as he decided to exchange a few messages with Sungjong and ask how… actually, he just knew how he could help. He couldn't solve their problems but if he butted in a bit he could minimize suspicions right? “Here.” Chanyeol pointed to a particular door as they stopped.

Thank you Chanyeol-shi.” Myungsoo stretched his lips in a tired smile and knocked.

Come on in”. They heard the feminine voice from inside And Myungsoo was about to place his hand on the handle when Chanyeol squeezed himself in between the guy and the door.

Can I accompany you?”

Why?” Myungsoo frowned in confusion.

There isn't much time to explain just call me hyung and go with the flow.” The taller said then opened the door and slid into his professor office.

Ssaem!” He greeted and she raised her head in confusion, didn't Chanyeol just left her office ten minutes ago?

You forgot something?” she asked.

No, no.” Chanyeol smiled widely and then stepped aside to show Myungsoo that still looked kinda confused. “My friend here asked me to guide the way in our department so I came back.”

Myungsoo shi, I’m glad you came early.” She smiled at him. “Come on, sit here.” She showed him a chair and the said guy walked forward and sat on it only for Chanyeol to do the same on the one beside.

You can go now.” She said to Chanyeol that forced a smile.

Nah, he is kinda nervous and I'll stay so he can see that nobody in this department bites.”

The teacher rolled her eyes but nodded once she saw Myungsoo five her a helpless smile, besides, what she had to solve with Myungsoo didn't need to be done in secrecy.

Were you able to talk to Sungyeol?” She promptly asked and Myungsoo side eyed Chanyeol nervously and shifted himself in his chair a bit before he hesitantly spoke.

Does he really needs to be my external adviser?”

Not if someone else is available to advise you.” Myungsoo shoulders slumped and she sighed. “Why are you asking me this? Did he say no? Or you're too close that you think it is going to jeopardize your work?”

No, we...”

Hyung used the word 'friend' loosely, you know he always says I'm not his friend to tease me too, I think he just wanted to piss me off again because I do consider him an older brother.” Chanyeol butted in. “He told me they actually don't know each other for long or that deeply, just because their brothers got together recently so...” Myungsoo opened up his mouth in surprise with and although Chanyeol smiled and the lie was plausible it didn't seem like the professor really believed.

Are you sure? I remember Sungyeol saying that you know everything about him that's important. Please if you two are too close and that's the reason Sungyeol refused to help you, you have to tell me because assign you two together would be more prejudicial to both of you right now and we don't have anyone else with enough time in their hands that can help you, Myungsoo shi.” She asked looking in Myungsoo eyes as Chanyeol tried feigning some indifference while tapping in his phone frantically.

Myungsoo felt the air come out of his body and his rib cage compressing his lungs enough for him to have some difficulties in trying to breathe in again, thankfully, once more Chanyeol came to his aid.

I'm sure that's not it ssaem. Sungyeol hyung texted me complaining about having to take more duties, you know that he only thinks about completing his program lately. He also complained to me that his brother was talking about his life to his boyfriend without his authorization, he was kinda pissed when he discovered that Myungsoo brother spilled some things to him. Besides aside what happened with his family last year I don't think Sungyeol hyung life is that interesting nowadays.”

The professor found that plausible but wasn't that fully convinced. “You said Myungsoo was your friend...” She started to elaborate a question with squinted eyes and Myungsoo gulped but Chanyeol smiled again.

Sungyeol hyung bumped to him about two weeks prior and when Myungsoo said 'hi' he begrudgingly introduced us, and then we discovered we are long time online friends, right Myungsoo.”

Yeah.” Myungsoo said stiffly if it was on him he didn't want to hide his relationship with Sungyeol but he had to agree that this conversation could minimize their problems. He blinked and continued as he remembered something Chanyeol told him. “We know each other from some webcomics forums.”

Right?” Chanyeol felt relieved inside that Myungsoo picked up what he was trying to do it then tried to be more believable as he remembered the name Hoya was using to give Myungsoo his due credits. “ I never knew L was that close to me, I thought you lived, I don't know, in Daegu.”

Myungsoo forced a smile. “We don't exactly talk about our personal lives too much, right?”

Right.” Chanyeol laughed a bit and now the professor seemed to believe the story a bit more.

Ok then.”She accepted but then asked the question that had been unanswered again. “So you talked to Sungyeol, did he accepted, or it is you that is backing up now?” Myungsoo was about to answer when the door opened and Sungyeol came inside almost hyperventilating. “Sungyeol, you came just in time, what the journalist wanted?”

You already know about that?” He said to his adviser before coming further inside as he tried to even out his breathing. “They wanted authorization to interview Sunggyu and ask how is his life a year after his parents died. As if I will let Sunggyu go through this now that he is getting better.” He snorted.

I'm sure that wouldn't be a good experience.” The woman agreed and Sungyeol locked eyes with his tall friend.

Chanyeol, you're here? Dara noona is looking for you.”

Oh, that's my cue.” Chanyeol promptly got up feeling good that he helped as he received a thankful look from Sungyeol. “Myungsoo shi, you will survive, Sungyeol hing is often grumpy but he helps a lot, and if he is too much you can always complain to our magnificent Song Hyekyo sonsaengnim.” He added with a pat on Myungsoo shoulder as the said professor rolled eyes. “Bye, don't bite each others heads.” He said as he moved to go out and once the door was closed Sungyeol sat where Chanyeol was before.

He tried looking to Myungsoo's eyes to maybe communicate with him somehow but the younger promptly avoided his eyes to look at the woman that was talking again.

So since there isn't anything on our way and you're both here, let's decide things again.” She looked from one to the other boy in front of them. “Have you two talked?”

Yes, we talked.” Myungsoo said faintly though the woman heard clearly.

Is there anyone having cold feet?” She further inquired looking from one to the other frequently.

No.” Sungyeol smiled as sheepishly as he could. “I thought better and decided to take him if he wants me to.” He then turned to Myungsoo and said with all sincerity he could muster at the moment. “I'm sorry for my behavior again. Aside from getting the feeling that I would be overworked, I was kinda uncomfortable with the perspective that I would have a student that knows a bit about my life. I might be grumpy but I don't think you'll need to reach Sungjong for some help on my behavior, Chanyeol does just fine.”

Yes, right.” The woman smiled then addressed Myungsoo. “You just need to have some patience and don't take things to heart, if you trust Sungyeol and don't put too much of a fight, he will lead you well, he is a genius after all.” Myungsoo wanted to snort, lead him well? He didn't think Sungyeol was leading anything well by breaking up with him, he was definitely making everything worse. “Do you agree with him being your external adviser?”

Myungsoo forced a smile at her then finally turned to look at Sungyeol with eyes burning with the fire of anger. “Since you said your behavior won't be a problem so I don't have any reason to say no.” He got up and offered a hand for Sungyeol to shake, a thing that surprised his neighbor/ex-lover a bit. “I'll try to not burden your genius self too much and don't worry, I know less about you than you think I know.”

Sungyeol could help but feel those words piercing his heart, he wanted to tell Myungsoo that that wasn't true, that the younger knew him well and better than any lover he ever tried to have. But he couldn't do that in front of his professor, the only thing he could do was try to ignore that hurt and get up to shake his, now confirmed, ex-lover hand.

Nah, as I heard, we can't lose time so you can come to see me on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I stay all day here in the lab, or here at the table in the previous room. If you have doubts on the other days you can always send an e-mail, though I tend to answer them after 9 PM because that's my brother bedtime, I need to give him some attention before that.”

I understand.” Myungsoo said simply as he shook his ex-lover hand. “I also have some time restraints because of my son.”

The professor smiled relieved. “Ok, perfect then, I'll call your department and make things official.” She said and focus on grabbing the phone over the table to do what she just said, losing her focus on the two before her.

Sungyeol chose that moment to apply some not so friendly but soft pressure on Myungsoo's hand and plead with his eyes. “What do you think of going outside so you can explain everything about your project?”

Myungsoo forced a smile, kept his eyes cold and pulled his hand away. “I think I'm gonna send you an e-mail.”

 

____________________________________________________

AN: Who's back from hiatus? Me and infinite with their fanmeetings, right? Guyyyyys, I've reread tangled in it's entirety and I encountered so many mistakes * le sighs*, from here on , everytime i update I'll fix some chapter.