I'll stand by you - Bubble pop theory - Fix you

Tangled

 

 

 

Sungyeol arrived home with the kids to find Myungsoo laying out on his couch rubbing his hands on his face in distress while a good smell came from the kitchen, someone else was in the younger apartment and Sungyeol wondered who could it be, he knew Myungsoo had friends but it wasn't like he ever saw someone else inside Myungsoo apartment that wasn't part of his family.

Woohyun entered the apartment blabbering something about the movie then stopped to smell the air, he was ready to make a beeline for the kitchen, thinking his father was there, but he stopped in his tracks when Myungsoo sat on the couch to look at him.

The boy took in his father appearance, a thing that Sungyeol and Sunggyu stopped to do as well, and immediately frowned. Myungsoo had his eyes slightly red and his face was a bit swollen, he seemed to be really, really, sad and the boy didn't like it one bit, so he ran to where his father was with a concerned expression.

The boy fussed all over his father, checking his body and asking what had happened but instead of answering Myungsoo just engulfed him in a hug, Myungsoo seemed really relieved to see his son, thing that the boy didn't understand really but still immediately hugged his father back, trying to somehow comfort him.

Sungyeol and Sunggyu eyed each other in confusion, they were not understanding the scene at all so after a second of hesitance they got close to the young father-son pair only for Sunggyu to try to hug them and Sungyeol place a hand on Myungsoo back and ask what was wrong.

Myungsoo didn't let go of the hug but he managed to look at Sungyeol with his eyes full of sadness and distress and, before he could answer his lover (?) question his father came from the kitchen and asked is Woohyun had arrived and if Sunggyu was there too.

The boys immediately snapped their head to look at Bumsoo and at first Woohyun wondered what his grandpa was doing there, he never came unannounced, and it was not like his father would let him go out with the neighbors if he knew the patriarch would come too. It had been a while Woohyun had seen him so he wanted to be cheerful and greet his grandfather but at the time he was still concerned over his dad, so he just looked from one to another totally confused on what he was supposed to do while Sunggyu timidly went to give the elder a hug.

Seeing that Woohyun would not move without some kind of reassurance Myungsoo said he was fine and that he son should greet his grandfather properly and only then the boy nodded dumbly and moved still confusedly to greet the elder. The boy was hugged, squeezed, lifted and twirled, Bumsoo wasn't kidding when he said he was missing Woohyun, and once he was on the ground the elder squeezed his cheeks then fondly combed his hair. Meanwhile, Sunggyu was giggling to himself because of all of that, it didn't seem like Woohyunie had liked to be squeezed and his expression had been funny, as for Sungyeol his eyes were in Myungsoo only, carefully observing how Myungsoo seemed to have his emotions in conflict.

Then it came the moment that Myungsoo was dreading, though he knew it would come eventually, and Woohyun ended up asking why his dad was so sad. The young father promptly lied, saying he wasn't which was a clear lie that made Sungyeol frown so Bumsoo ended up saying otherwise, that Myungsoo did invite him over nor had taken Woohyun to see his grandparents over the past month so he had to be scolded properly, how he could live without his Namu, right?

The young dad still tried to deny and Woohyun was a bit incredulous, but then Myungsoo decided it was less troublesome to go with his father lie and ended up defending himself saying that his dad could come whenever he wanted and that he hadn't had much time to take Woohyun back to Incheon since he had been working to raise some money.

Woohyun blinked deeply as if he was not believing what he was hearing, he didn't think that would cause such sadness in his father but he also couldn't think of anything else that could do that either, his father had been so happy lately despite weird comments about wanting to cheat on his mother. So, to settle this, he went to his grandpa, hugged his legs and begged for the elder not to scold his daddy anymore because he didn't like to see his father upset and that made the two fathers present with both hearts squeezed. Oh Woohyun, if only you knew.

Before Bumsoo could reply his grandson Sunggyu started to smell the air and scrunch up his face, a thing that Sungyeol immediately knew why: something seemed to be burning. Bumsoo eyes went from showing some pity to comically big and then he was already rushing to the kitchen, letting out some screams that amused and attracted the kids to the kitchen, which made the young couple be alone in the living room. Once the kids disappeared giggling at Bumsoo, the young father finally let out an insufferable sigh and turn his head only to see Sungyeol getting in front of him.

Come here. Sungyeol coaxed softly offering a hand for the younger.

Myungsoo looked at him for a second or two before he finally took it and then Sungyeol was already lifting him up and taking him to his own room without letting go of his hand. Once in Myungsoo's room, Sungyeol locked the door and gently pulled him to sit on the bed. This is not only about him not seeing Woohyun, is it? Sungyeol asked as softly as he could, he didn't want to pry on anything but offer a shoulder for his friend/lover (?).

It is in a way.” Myungsoo said, not clearly being able to hide his emotions as he looked at Sungyeol fighting upcoming tears for the umpteenth time that night, just thinking about the dimension of his lies and the possibility of Woohyun biological father and grandmother wanting to take his son away already made him a mess. Meanwhile, Sungyeol felt that there was more into this so he just let Myungsoo talk once he was able. “He thought I started hiding Woohyun so he wouldn't notice the differences in our looks....” Myungsoo lips quivered as they heard some noise in the kitchen and he waited a few seconds to speak in a broken and painful tone. “Hyung... he knows.... about Woohyun... he knows...” He mumbled lowly.

Sungyeol had a bad history when it came to connecting, he wasn't much of a good listener not deemed himself to be any good at comforting, mainly because he couldn't have much empathy and was kind of self-centered, but, hell, Myungsoo tone was so broken that he felt himself immediately hugging his neighbor to try to comfort him, unknowingly giving exactly what Myungsoo needed at the moment.

Myungsoo hugged him tightly as if he needed to be physically sure that Sungyeol was there for him while he whispered lowly. “I had to tell him everything.”

Everything everything?” Sungyeol asked to be sure.

Yes, everything, including us.” Myungsoo whispered sadly.

Oh, Myungsoo.” Sungyeol breathed and kissed Myungsoo temples a couple of times as he rubbed one hand on the younger back (he was getting the hang of this comforting thing lately, wasn't he?).

It was not like Sungyeol could put himself in Myungsoo place and feel exactly what Myungsoo was feeling. Still, he was feeling strangely sad for this as well and he wondered if that was empathy for the younger. Since it had been so hard for him to connect with others without trying really hard, Sungyeol rarely experienced that feeling, but he couldn't avoid being a tiny bit happy as well because that meant that Myungsoo was operating a big transformation for the better on him. He liked that and he liked Myungsoo, and he liked that he was feeling that he could offer what Myungsoo expected from him. “But.... he doesn't look angry...” He trailed confusedly.

Myungsoo pulled back. “Don't fool yourself, he is.” He said as he rubbed the back of his hands against his eyes. “Not heavily angry as I expected though, it seems like he is so attached to Woohyun that for him it doesn't even matter if they are really...” He then dropped his voice the lowest he could, almost ashamed to say what he was going to say. “…related.”

This is a good thing right?” Sungyeol asked in confusion. “You told him everything right? So if your father loves Woohyun and really doesn't care, his anger towards you will fade eventually.” He tried to be encouraging.

It's just... once I started this... I was prepared to lose everything in order to have him, still, I am not prepared at all if I were to lose him.” Myungsoo voice cracked and his lips quivered and Sungyeol was almost pulling his hair, that wasn't the Myungsoo he knew, his Myungsoo shouldn't ever be allowed to be this way.

You won't lose him, Woohyun loves you to death, eventually, and with a lot of talks to explain everything, whatever he feels will subside and he will see you're the best thing that could have happened to him.” Sungyeol tried once more comfort him. You are the best thing that happened in almost four years in my life as well.Sungyeol thought, he knew it was kind of soon to think this way when he didn't even know if Myungsoo loved him the same, but whatever he felt with Myungsoo, it was better than he ever felt with anyone else, so yeah.

No, he will hate me for sure. “Myungsoo disagreed in a whimper. “I don't know what I'll do when that happens, but what if Woohyun wants to meet his real family and they want him and he wants them? What if they try to take him away from me before I have the chance to tell him the truth?” He asked with a hint of desperation.

No, no, no.” He grabbed Myungsoo by the shoulders. “I won't let you be this defeated.” Sungyeol then softly held Myungsoo chin and forced the younger to look in his eyes. “Listen, Woohyun will not cease to exist because you're in trouble, he is a kid and he will be needing you until he is able to take care of himself and you said you chose this because you wanted to be his father, so you have to pull yourself together and be there for him.”

Myungsoo sighed deeply. “Hyung, but everything is happening at once, I feel overborne from everything, besides it's an easy thing to say that when you aren't in the same situation, how do I even do that?” Myungsoo whined.

Sungyeol shook his head with sadness in his tone. “Oh Myungsoo, you know nothing.” He then took one hand from his neighbor and made him caress the scars hidden in his hair. “What I've been through is totally different from what you experienced but don't you think I know what is overbearing situations and emotions as well?” He asked and Myungsoo immediately looked down. “I have been bullied, abandoned, I attempted suicide, and when I finally thought I was overcoming everything, my estranged mother died and pushed on me a responsibility too big for a person like myself and I was left with two kids to raise. I didn't want that situation but I couldn't be angry with her because my brothers were sad because of her, I couldn't be sad because they needed someone to guide their life without her, thing that I was already used, and although Sungjong recovered fast studying for his entrance exams, Sunggyu was completely destroyed. Most of the times I have no idea how to deal with people in general but I had even less idea about how to deal with him because we only had seen each other a couple of times before.”

I didn't mean...” Myungsoo wanted to apologize, of course, Sungyeol went through was terrible and he knew his neighbor had suffered a lot, but before he could ramble his apology Sungyeol cut him off.

I know I was a unique child even before that all happened to me but I am sure something is equal for everyone: when we are young every problem seems to be too big and our parents are our world and our heroes. But once we get older, we are hit by reality and we start to see that things are not like we thought, parents have their flaws too and our world gets bigger with, hopefully, more people in it, and problems can be overcome. Today, instead of bullied, I am respected; I have only a few, but I have people on my side; I found things that make me want to live and I have been learning how to raise a kid from you. You know nowadays you're my role model in this right? Who else I'm gonna learn this from?”

Myungsoo was surprised with that kind of speech, up til now Sungyeol didn't seem like he would be that supporting and back in Incheon he didn't think he would need Sungyeol comfort either. But now that he needed it, and Sungyeol was trying to overcome his own nature in order to give him comfort, it made him touched not only because Sungyeol was investing in their relationship but because to change from hated to role model showed how much they progressed already.

Feeling a tiny bit better, Myungsoo forced a smile and interlaced his fingers with Sungyeol's. “I'm glad you changed your mind about me or maybe this wouldn't be possible.” He said quietly with eyes fixed on their entangled fingers.

You're right about that, and I'm glad it too, but you have to focus back on your son.” Sungyeol focused back on the issue at hand, it wasn't like he would let Myungsoo rub their weird beginning to feel better, this had to be done in another way, so the taller untangled their finger then grabbed Myungsoo face gently again so they could look into each other eyes.

This devastated state won't help you two, you'll only scare the out of him if you keep up like this and you don't need a distressed Woohyun right now, or else you won't be able to prepare him to face the truth. Besides, if Woohyun has another family, and they didn't appear up until now, they probably don't want him, so stop suffering in anticipation for something that didn't happen or might not happen at all. You don't have the time to wonder what they might do, you made choices to be in the situation that you are now, being Woohyun father, so you need to stick with your decision and get ready to face whatever it comes.

You're right. Myungsoo said begrudgingly and then leaned towards his neighbor to lay his head on his shoulder to mumble something. It's just... I'm just so scared of this.

Sungyeol enveloped him in a hug and patted his back. “When I started taking care of the boys I was too, I still am a bit.” Sungyeol admitted lowly then turned his head a bit to place a well-aimed kiss on the top of his dongsaeng head. “But you're a good parent and Woohyun loves you; everything about this is hard, but when you tell Woohyun the truth, and when he finally overcomes all the confusion he will feel, you two will become indestructible, I'm sure of it.”

Sungyeol kissed him again and Myungsoo finally managed a little smile against the elder shoulder, despite being sad with his situation there was a positive thing in his life: Sungyeol, and he would be damned if he wouldn't be at least a bit happy that Sungyeol was comfortable enough around him to initiate skinship and give him comforting words instead of him shaping Sungyeol to be what he needed as he thought he would do.

He kept himself on the elder hold but pulled his face away just a bit from his shoulder just to press his mouth close to the elder's ear. “Thank you.” He whispered as he felt Sungyeol shiver against him so he took advantage that Sungyeol wasn't expecting that and was a bit surprised to press a soft kiss behind the elder's ear. “Thank you.” He whispered again to reinforce how meaningful this had been for him.

Sungyeol kind of froze after the shiver but after Myungsoo whispered a second time in his ear he freed the younger from his hold and turned his face just as slowly as Myungsoo pulled back. He felt Myungsoo lips brushing against his cheek and getting near his mouth, but when they were almost kissing they heard the knob being forced and two small voices outside.

Daddy? Hyung? Why the door is closed?” Woohyun asked in a mix of confusion and concern, his father never locked this door before, never.

Grandpa is calling us to eat, he made hamburgers.” Sunggyu called and after a second thought, he decided to add something encouraging word. “They are not burnt.”

At that moment the adults sighed in frustration as the mood was killed and they had to pull apart completely.

How do I explain this to Woohyun?” Myungsoo asked Sungyeol.

Daddy?” They heard the boy try the knob again.

Leave to me.” Sungyeol said confidently but after a second thought added. “But do go along with whatever I come up.”
“Fine.” Myungsoo agreed and begrudgingly get up from the bed so he could go open the door, but he was stopped by Sungyeol grabbing his wrists and getting up to be at his eye level (or almost, since Sungyeol was so tall).

When the boys fall asleep, leave the door open for me.” Sungyeol boldly suggested.

Hyung?” Sunggyu was the one calling this time. “Are you there?”

Hyung, Woohyun...” Myungsoo was a bit scandalized with what he thought Sungyeol was suggesting but the older was quick to dismiss everything.

I know.” He smiled. “But we can talk, and we can connect, and it's an opportunity for us to grow... “He hesitated a bit but decided to add anyway. “...Individually and as a couple.”

Myungsoo finally relaxed and repeated what he said a month back. “My door will always be open to you.”

When the door was finally open Myungsoo took a minute to try to recompose himself fully as Sungyeol was the first to come out as and Woohyun wanted to pass by him and go check on his daddy while Sunggyu threw a knowing (and annoying) look at his brother, but the elder just grabbed Woohyun by the arm and pulled him and Sunggyu to the side then squatted to explain things to them at eye level.

I just talked to Myungsoo to discover what happened and it seems that the scolding he received from his father wasn't that big or anything but it made him doubt his parenting skills and this is what is upsetting him.” As Woohyun seemed surprised with that information, Sungyeol was quick to explain a bit more. “You see, Myungsoo is a young parent and even if he became an adult, he still has fears and insecurities as any other person.” He then looked at Sunggyu. “You know I have them too right?” Sunggyu scratched his head but ended up nodding then Sungyeol returned his gaze to Woohyun. “But we can help him.”

How?” Woohyun asked eagerly though Sunggyu asked the same one second later, both of them showing the reaction Sungyeol wanted.

As I told you every person has fears and insecurities, but they can overcome them if they are confident.” He explained only for Woohyun eagerly ask another question.

How do we make dad feel confident?”

Well, for Sunggyu and I, that will happen if we show support, with words and maybe hugs, since he likes hugs so much.” Sungyeol explained and Sunggyu nodded with a determined look of I-got-that before his brother continued. “But Woohyun, it's a different case. You are the most important person in Myungsoo's life and there is no one he loves more so anything that comes from you will have even more effect and even more meaning, do you get that? If you act badly he will feel twice bad, but if you're good he will feel twice better.” Woohyun nodded in understanding as well before Sungyeol finished. “You just have to show him how much you love him so he will put his fears and insecurities to the side and bee the cool dad that you know.”

Ok, I can do it.” Woohyun said confidently making a fighting hand motion.

How are you going to do it?” Sungyeol asked in a smile, Woohyun had completely charmed him with time and if he wasn't the cutest thing at the moment Sungyeol didn't know what he was.

I can hug him, I can kiss him, we can sleep together...” He said and Sungyeol for a brief moment was worried Woohyun would screw his plans for the night, but the boy quickly forgot about that when he gasped after having an idea. “I can sing him a song, yes, dad will love it.”

Boooooooooys, what are you taking so long? The hamburgers will get cold.” Bumsoo called impatiently and the three of them were interrupted only to hear movement from inside the room, Myungsoo was definitely coming out, so his son quickly forgot Sungyeol and ran to him.

Daddy, are you ok?” He asked a bit worried.

I'm fine now.” Myungsoo said as he ran a hand through his son's hair. “Hyung gave me some words of wisdom.”

Ppfffff.” Sunggyu contained a laugh, he obviously thought Sungyeol wasn't giving words of wisdom to him, a thing that made his brother turn to glare at him, unknowingly the taller was also being glared at by Woohyun, thought it was very briefly.

Myungsoo, can you get everybody to come for dinner?” Bumsoo called impatiently again, though using a serious tone, one didn't mess with food in their family.

We're coming.” Myungsoo announced loudly before addressing his son. “Let's eat before grandpa get's angry ok? We can play together after dinner and then you can tell me how your day was, I'm dying to know about the movie you watched.” That kind of answer didn't please Woohyun but he ended up grabbing his dad hand before going towards the living room.

Sungyeol and Sunggyu were left alone for a brief second and Sungyeol promptly turned to glare at his brother. “Kim Sunggyu!” He hissed and Sunggyu straightened himself and Sungyeol let out a tired sigh. If Woohyun discovers things before Myungsoo telling him it is going to be a big mess for both of them, you aren't helping if you keep being like this. He scolded.

Sunggyu immediately looked down to his feet and Sungyeol got up and sighed tiredly. “It's ok Sunggyu, you don't need to be sad, just stop doing that ok? Myungsoo is going through a delicate moment and we have to be supportive friends, so come on, let's eat and distract them.” He encouraged and pulled Sunggyu towards the living room where he watched Woohyun making his prayers while Myungsoo started to serve them both with the hamburger made by his father.

The dinner was a bit awkward at first because everyone was a bit worried about Myungsoo but soon enough Myungsoo asked the boys about their day and the chatty atmosphere begun. Now, Sungyeol wasn't a genius of human connection but he had the hang of it with the kids now and that reflected in the way the boy was speaking about their outing with him. While Myungsoo and his father kept making questions that prompted to forget the young dad sad mood by talking more, Sungyeol kept poking the table in front of Sunggyu plate so he could get the hint that he had to eat.

At some point, Sungyeol joined the conversation more actively as he suggested taking the kids to Everland on the next Saturday, with Myungsoo joining them this time, and Woohyun and Sunggyu were delighted, not to mention Myungsoo finally lightened up like a Christmas tree while Bumsoo observed them with an amused smile.

The older sighed to himself sadly. He couldn't stop thinking that Myungsoo entered his current situation because he thought his parents preferred him a certain way, and while Bumsoo and Sonmi could accept Myungsoo being gay, he knew this probably happened because he was always too blind to see what it was in front of him, but now that he knew it was so obvious. Myungsoo loved Jihyun, there was no doubt about that, but as he reacted to Sungyeol words, even if the two of them were pretending to be friendly and casual, his eyes shone brightly and his smiles, even though still a bit sad, were always broader.

To tell the truth he was worried about Sungyeol being the one Myungsoo liked since he heard so many things about the boy while he was growing up, and he thought Sungyeol, being the attractive and witty young male that he was, charmed Myungsoo but as he observed their interactions under a new light he couldn't help but understand why they worked. It had nothing to do with personal characteristics but understanding and partnership that went beyond them and extended to the kids, and while Myungsoo and Sungyeol were in the beginning stages of a (now, hopefully) relationship, they carried all the interactions between themselves and kids as they were already a family, even though not the traditional one.

When they finally finished dinning everyone took their dirty plates and glasses to the kitchen and Myungsoo was about to go wash them when his father said he would take care of it and that he should go play with the kids, but not before volunteering Sungyeol to help him. Myungsoo was a bit hesitant to leave Sungyeol alone with his father but the taller easily agreed and started the task before telling Myungsoo to make sure Sunggyu would brush his teeth (the boy had his own toothbrush in Myungsoo place the same way Woohyun had one in the Lee/Kim apartment), and Myungsoo caught himself begrudgingly agreeing and ushering the kids to go to the bathroom.

Bumsoo then directed himself towards the sing and was ready to help, when the boy beside him boldly started a conversation.

I know everything.” He confessed and Bumsoo almost lets the plate he just grabbed fall. “I don't know the details but I know about him and Woohyun.”

Why would he tell you that?” Bumsoo asked more jealous that Sungyeol probably heard before him than anything else, forgetting completely that he already knew the truth way before.

Sungyeol just blinked at him but looked straight in his eyes. “Because I told him everything about myself.”

Now that was a surprise and Bumsoo gasped loudly and with that reaction Sungyeol had the confirmation that Bumsoo probably knew detailed things about him, there was no avoidance or pretending now.

Sungyeol just turned back his concentration to the task at hand before continuing. “Don't worry, I left the gory parts out, Myungsoo is too empathic, so, if you know, don't tell him either. He is not in condition take more baggage now.”

Ye-yeah.” The father stuttered an agreement and dumbly stayed in place, processing the younger words then hesitantly asking with a bit of confusion. “Why did you tell him then?”

I'm only twenty-three and I can say my life was pretty ty with one bad thing happening after the other since I was six.” Sungyeol trailed emotionless then stopped to look at Myungsoo's father. “And then your son comes, and we didn't hit it off right off the bat, but in a few months, everything was falling into place. He is an attractive and caring man and that can make him get anyone else so I thought, by logic, that I need to put up an extra effort if I want to be worthy enough of his interest that he might want to stick around.”

Bumsoo raised a brow but couldn't contain an amused smile. “Logic huh?” The elder chuckled. “It is not surprising that someone like you would say you're using logic in this sort of situation.”

Sungyeol turned off the faucet and turned his whole body to look at Bumsoo suspiciously since he didn't understand if he was trying to be offensive somehow or was just stating facts. “Yeah, I'm not too good with emotions.” He decided that was a good neutral answer.

From what I heard of, course not, but that's Myungsoo expertise though.” Bumsoo idly added.

Yeah, he is better at that.” The younger agreed not really getting where Myungsoo's father was going.

If you want to be with him you will have to get better at that.” The elder explained carefully and Sungyeol crossed his arms over his shirt in a defensive posture.

He would need to get a bit more realistic then, he can't envelop himself and Woohyun in a bubble of love and think nothing will try to pop it. Life itself is a constant poke on whatever bubble we build, soon or later it will pop.” Sungyeol replied sharply.

Now, although I agree with you on what you said about life, love is not a bubble, it's an abstract concept that I know you might have trouble with and at the same time it is a very concrete thing, but you're taking it too pessimistically.” Bumsoo said in a bit of reproval. “If built properly it will remain even if the bubble is popped, am I not here?” Bumsoo asked wittily and this time Sungyeol hadn't a reply for him, and just like a chess match he just waited for his opponent next move, so Bumsoo continued. “I have another question for you, are you willing to build something with Myungsoo that it will withstand pops or do you want to be another bubble?”

Sungyeol smiled in amusement at the metaphor but dodged Bumsoo question smartly, he wasn't going to discuss this with Myungsoo dad. “It doesn't depend on me only.”

It does because I already know how Myungsoo feels about you.”

It doesn't because this is not an equation of two variables, there's a third one called Woohyun.” Sungyeol replied right off the bat, choosing to suppress the curiosity about what kind of feeling Myungsoo admitted having to his father.

He spends half of his time with you, you should know no? Aren't you counting with Sunggyu too?” Bumsoo ended up asking as he lifted a brow.

No, because Sunggyu is my brother, he doesn't have real influence in my life as I have in his, besides, he knows and he doesn't mind none of your sons. As for Woohyun, I am aware that even if I don't mind him with Myungsoo as a package deal, whatever is it my relationship with your son it pokes their bubble. What I can do at the moment is to make what is inside the bubble strong enough to take the pop because one day I'm sure it will pop and Woohyun will know.”

It was no wonder Sungyeol couldn't connect with people. Most of them were no match for him, they didn't challenge him enough for him to get interested and then develop some emotions, Bumsoo was barely hanging on there and he wondered how Myungsoo managed to spike Sungyeol interest, it couldn't be the face alone, right? He wondered what Myungsoo did.

Even so he ended up smiling satisfied to himself at Sungyeol answer, sure he felt like Sungyeol avoided talking about how he felt about Myungsoo but his answer was enough for him right now, at least he liked Myungsoo enough to help his son to go through this in a better way not to mention Sungyeol had Woohyun in mind as well and he was grateful for that.

You know what, Sungyeol? I don't know how things are going to turn out but I'm rooting for you two.” Bumsoo said and that seemed to caught Sungyeol a bit off guard.

Why?” The younger asked confusedly, he knew Myungsoo parents were more on the supporting side, but even if they accepted Myungsoo being gay, and differently from Sungjong, he didn't think they accept him that freely since he had such dark past that could burden their son.

Bumsoo shrugged. “I think Myungsoo and Woohyun have a lot to learn from reality with you.”

Sungyeol smiled in bitter amusement right after. “Isn't that my expertise?” He retorted.

Hard to know, I'm sure you're an expert in many things.” Bumsoo laughed genuinely and then turned to turn on the faucet. “Go, I'll finish this by myself.”

Are you sure?” Sungyeol asked as he looked at the pile of things in the sink.

Yes, they need you.” Bumsoo said idly and Sungyeol was sure Myungsoo didn't need him to make sure the two kids brushed their teeth so his father must be referring to something else, something with more meaning, something that Sungyeol was sure to be there for.

OK then, thank you, sir.” Sungyeol politely bowed and thanked and Bumsoo waved a hand of dismissal at him before he moved his body out of the kitchen.

He was still thinking about the recent conversation - was that a blessing? - when he bumped with a shirtless Woohyun small body so he quickly snapped out of his thoughts and looked down to face the boy that seemed unharmed (thankfully or else there would be a father and a grandfather killing him today).

Hyung, can you help me with something?” Woohyun chirped then beckoned the elder to get down so he could whisper in his ear. The boy had an idea to cheer up his father and was too excited about it so when Sungyeol finished hearing he couldn't understand much of it.

You want what?” He asked and this time Woohyun actually spoke slowly so Sungyeol could understand, and he agreed with the boy, it was not a bad idea at all, but was he be able to pull through? “Woohyun, are you confident you can pull this through?” He asked with squinted eyes of doubt and the boy nodded eagerly.

Can you help me?” The boy added to his request a pair of puppy eyes and Sungyeol sighed internally, the longer he spent with Woohyun, the more effective those puppy eyes became, how did Myungsoo survived for seven years and managed to be able to say no to that?

I think I need to check it out on Youtube first, but I think I can do it.” Sungyeol said confidently only for the boy to beam but at the moment they heard Myungsoo, that just had arrived with Sunggyu that was too shirtless.

What is happening?” The young dad asked the two conspiring people in the living room. “Where is my dad?” He asked Sungyeol then looked at his son. “Why are you avoiding your bath?” He asked and the boy smiled sheepishly hiding behind Sungyeol long legs.

Nothing.” Sungyeol lied bluntly. “He said I could go.” He then moved his eyes to Sunggyu. “Why are the boys shirtless?”

My shirt was dirty.” Sunggyu replied a bit upset but that was to be expected, Woohyun had amazing coordination despite being younger and Sunggyu was.... Sunggyu seemed to attract small disasters often, mainly when eating.

Sunggyu made a mess in his shirt and tried to scrub the spot a bit but I think it's safer to wash it properly later.” Myungsoo informed as he raised one of his hands and showed a half wet shirt. “They were supposed to go for a bath now but Woohyun ran away.” He added

Give me here.” Sungyeol positioned his hands as if he was waiting for Myungsoo to throw the shirt at him and once he caught the said shirt he turned to Woohyun. “Go take your bath, you're smelling.” He said and Woohyun actually lifted his two little arms to try to smell himself, he didn't know what Sungyeol was talking about, he didn't smell bad at all, his baby smell was still on. “Start with their bath, I'll be right back.” He informed and then whispered to Woohyun to distract them before he made way towards the door.

The boy didn't need to be told twice immediately ran to his father. “Daddy, take a bath together with us.”

Distract me? Why distract me?” Myungsoo asked confused since he managed to hear Sungyeol just a second before. “Hyung, where are you going?” He added but it was not like Sungyeol actually stopped to hear his questions, instead he merely waved his hand in a 'bye' motion and closed the door behind himself.

Daddy, our bath...” The younger insisted and Myungsoo finally looked down at his son and squinted his slightly swollen eyes in suspicion but before he could say anything Sunggyu was already looking at him pleadingly.

What about me?” He didn't want to be left out.

What? No, you're old enough to take a bath without me, we don't take baths together for a long time now, where did you get this idea? What are you trying to do?” He then moved his head to look at the young neighbor. “You shouldn't be asking me that Sunggyu, you're older than Woohyun, you should give him examples”.

But I don't want to be left alone.” The boy pouted.

Then you two go back to the bathroom.” Myungsoo ordered and Woohyun bit his plump lips a bit distraught, it didn't seem like he would be able to distract his father until his oldest neighbor brought that to help him. But, it turns out Woohyun didn't have to worry about that because next thing he knew his father was announcing he would check on his grandpa and the boy felt relieved, his grandpa would probably keep him busy.

The boy ended up looking mischievously at his slightly older friend. “The last there's a monkey uncle.” He said and took off to the bathroom.

What?” Sunggyu gasped shocked and a second later ran after his friend. “Wait! No, I don't want to be a monkey uncle.”

Myungsoo could only chuckle as he heard Woohyun laughing loudly and Sunggyu complaining he then went to Woohyun room to get some clothes for Sunggyu (aside the toothbrush the boy now had a couple of clothes in Myungsoo's apartment and so did Woohyun at the neighbors) and after leaving them in the bathroom and closing the door he directed himself towards the kitchen only to find his father drying his wet hands as he already finished all the kitchen chores.

Hey Soo, feeling better?” His father asked softly with a small smile.

The younger nodded slowly and dragged his feet to get closer to his dad before hesitantly asked something he was dreading to know but being almost sure it happened. “You didn't have a talk with him, did you?”

I had.” Bumsoo said with an ear to ear smile and Myungsoo promptly stomped one of his feet on the ground and rubbed his hands on his face in an over the top frustrated and embarrassed motion. “You know, if you hadn't told me what you told me today I'd doubt that you aren't a grown up and less greasy version of Woohyun, you're acting the same.”

How could you?” It was the only thing that Myungsoo managed to speak in frustration, a conversation by a protective parent would only make  Myungsoo seem like he wasn't dependable, that was totally uncool and Sungyeol might want to back off any time. “That's so uncool dad!”

His father merely rolled his eyes. “It's wasn't the way you are thinking, he only said he knew everything and I sad I wasn't against a relationship between you two and that's it. You know, I am a lawyer and I have some persuasive ways to get information but Sungyeol is too smart to dodge me, I'm not match for him in a conversation, I wonder how you picked his interest in the love department.” He changed the subject.

That disarmed Myungsoo and he scratched his head a bit as he thought about what his father just said. “I have no idea.”

Bumsoo ended up approaching his son and giving him a pat on the back. “Don't worry about it, don't think too much about anything today or I think your brain will melt.”

They moved to the living room and as they waited the boys come out of the bathroom, they agreed on a strategy for the time being: Myungsoo would take the next week to gather his strength again as Bumsoo looked over some laws and similar cases to Woohyun's and only then they would ask Moonsoo to spend some time with his nephew so they could meet and come up with a strategy to reveal the truth and how they would be prepared for anything that might happen.

After that they changed the subject and Bumsoo started to ask about Myungsoo work, if he thought he would earn enough to keep supporting himself and Woohyun, if he needed anything and it wasn't until Bumsoo asked if Myungsoo already prepared for his graduation project, and how he would balance that with Woohyun and basketball, that the younger stopped to wince. It wasn't that he didn't think of something, he had, like two or three themes, he just didn't know which professors would want to take him under their wing with those kinds of themes.

The kids usually played and teased each other if they were to bathe together but unexpectedly they ended finishing up their bath in less time than usual and appeared dressed up in bunny and a hamster onesies, interrupting the adult's conversations.

Aigoo, look at them!” Bumsoo squealed happily at the boy's appearance then proceeded to hug and kiss the boys as Myungsoo watched them chuckling to himself. Once he let go, Woohyun demanded his dad to dry his hair, and Sunggyu's too, and Bumsoo took the opportunity to say his goodbyes, he already had spent a lot of time with Myungsoo and Incheon was an hour away.

They moved to Woohyun room then and Myungsoo spent the next twenty minutes drying the boy's hair and while Sunggyu indulged into it Woohyun seemed a little nervous and apprehensive, he was anxious to put his idea into practice and Sungyeol had not come back yet.

Once he was done Myungsoo instructed the kids to go play some Lego while he took a quick bath and as soon as he closed the bathroom door, the front door opened and Sungyeol entered the apartment with his keyboard under his arm.

Hyung, I thought you wouldn't come back anymore.” Woohyun complained as he trailed behind Sungyeol with a confused Sunggyu beside him.

Sorry, I had to do a quick practice. Where is your father?” He asked as plugged in the keyboard on the outlet usually used for the TV.

Bath.” The boy simply explained as he and Sunggyu observed Sungyeol settling up with his keyboard on the couch.

Hyung, why you brought your Keyboard?” Sunggyu asked curiously as he observed Sungyeol turn the keyboard on, lower its volume and practice a bit, but before the elder had the chance to explain Woohyun was already explaining his plan to Sunggyu that immediately wanted to participate.

They quickly talked amongst themselves in shooshed voices to decide how they would proceed and just as Sungyeol practiced a bit Myungsoo came out of the bathroom, trying to dry his hair while trying to search for his son and their little neighbor. Woohyun-ah? Sunggyu-ah, why are you so quiet? He opened the door to Woohyun room but they weren't there so he moved towards the living room only for him to be confused when he spotted the keyboard.

What is happening here?” He asked but nobody replied, only Sunggyu approached him, grabbing his wrists and pulling him to sit down in across Sungyeol and beside Woohyun before he himself plopped down beside him so they could start.

Ladieessssssss and Gentlemen...” Sungyeol started like an MC, though there were no women he could address. “... welcome to our special event. In this lovely night, we are reunited here to make an homage to our dearest friend, and father, Kim Myungsoo!” He said and the boys cheerfully clapped their hands and cheered as Myungsoo pointed a finger to himself in confusion though he was amused Sungyeol was probably indulging the kids. “So, without further ado, let's start our first performance of the night.”

Sunggyu and Woohyun got up and positioned themselves one in each side of Sungyeol as the elder started to play a melody that wasn't entirely known but at the same time it wasn't unknown, and that maybe it was because Sungyeol was using a keyboard instead of a guitar. As the kids started to move their bodies cutely from one side to another to mark the tempo Myungsoo was already amused enough but when the lyrics started to come out he recognized the song from Woohyun favorite movie.

(Sunggyu)

You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles
From your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy, you've got a friend in me
Yeah, you've got a friend in me

(Sungyeol)

You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
You've got troubles, and I've got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together and can see it through
'Cause you've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me

Myungsoo was first amused with the kids moving their bodies cutely then he became impressed because eight-year-old Sunggyu was singing the song in English! He hadn't much time to be surprised because Sunggyu stopped singing and Sungyeol continued on the second verse as he sung the part where the lyrics fitted him the most. He was about to be a little touched when Woohyun, his baby, started singing in a rather good English too when did that even happen?

(Woohyun):

Some other folks might be
A little bit smarter than I am
Bigger and stronger too, maybe
But none of them will ever love you
The way I do, it's me and you, boy
And as the years go by
Our friendship will never die
You're gonna see it's our destiny
(Sunggyu): You've got a friend in me
(Sungyeol): You've got a friend in me
(Woohyun): You've got a friend in me

By the time Woohyun finished the last note Myungsoo already wanted to squeeze and hug the life out of him, but before he could spread his arms and ask for a hug Sunggyu sat beside Sungyeol on the couch while Woohyun stood standing in the front, begging with his eyes for the elder neighbor continue with whatever they had planned.

Woah that was so touching, I bet our guest of honor enjoyed so much. But, wait, it isn't over yet, we still have our main performance of the night. With you all: Naaaam WoooHyuuuuun!” The elder announced and right after started to play a slow melody, and Myungsoo couldn't believe his ears, this song? Did they choose to sing this song? They were trying to kill him with them feels right?

As for Woohyun, he kept moving his body from one side to the other and then looked nervously to Sungyeol, that made an encouraging expression for the boy, before he turned to his father and started to sing.

When I am down, and, oh, my soul, so weary
When troubles come, and my heart burdened be
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence
Until you come and sit awhile with me

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas
I am strong when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up to more than I can be

Since the song was a bit repetitive Sungyeol didn't play all of it, just enough so they could get it through, but once he finished Woohyun seemed unsure if he managed to cheer up his dad but at the moment Myungsoo was so touched that tears easily fallen from his eyes and his lips quivered and he tried to wipe it a bit before he opened his arms asking for a hug.

Woohyun ran to his father to give him a tight hug and Myungsoo held him back just as tightly. Daddy, I love you, don't be sad anymore. The boy begged in his father ears and Myungsoo was completely done for, his son singing such a meaningful song with the help of his lover(?) and asking that in his ears made him overwhelmed in good feelings.

While that was happening, Sunggyu looked at Sungyeol and the elder brother put his keyboard to the side and patted his brother head, making sure the boy knew he did a good job, but when they looked at the father-son pair, Myungsoo was making hand motions for him to join them so Sungyeol encouragingly pushed his brother forward and the boy hesitantly approached the pair.

Sunggyu tried to give Myungsoo an awkward hug but then Woohyun shifted to the side and Myungsoo was able to properly envelop the boy in a hug too.

Did you like it?” Woohyun asked softly.

Of course I liked, I liked so much that I'm crying out of happiness.” Myungsoo confirmed much for his son relief. “You two did so well singing in English too, when did that happen?”

Sungyeol hyung taught us some songs.” Sunggyu added an explanation right after as he got comfortable in Myungsoo arms and the elder gave a kiss on each boy's head before he looked at his neighbor, only to see Sungyeol sporting a soft yet proud smile because of the scene.

You come here too.” Myungsoo ordered with a touched smile and Sungyeol pointed to himself and shook his head but Myungso insisted. “Just come here!” Sungyeol sighed at Myungsoo command and got up from the couch only to squat in front of him and hug the three in one go with his long limbs.

Thank you, thank you all of you, this definitely cheered me up.” He thanked and since Sungyeol was in front of him with two kids in between them, he looked at his neighbor eyes before speaking again. “Thank you...” Myungsoo left the words hanging, he couldn't finish everything he wanted to say to the elder because the kids were there but by the was Sungyeol smiled he knew he got his message across.

It's ok Myungsoo, we are here for you...” The elder wanted to say more words but the kids wriggled their little bodies and soon enough Sungyeol was losing balance and falling on top of them. He quickly rolled around but, before he knew, the other three were lifting themselves up, laughing and moving to pile on top of him despite his comical protests.

Sungyeol briefly looked at Myungsoo, the younger was smiling, his spirits had returned, he was relieved to see strength returning to the younger and couldn't even believe he pulled this stunt. Comforting wasn't his thing, it was Myungsoo's, but then again, it wasn't only Myungsoo that would need to learn something from him, he was the one learning everything from Myungsoo.

 

______________________________________________________

AN: Hey guys, what do you think about this one? too cheesy? too unnecessary? did you understand the bubble pop theory? let me know.
We finished an arc with this chapter and soon myungyeol will be moving on to the adventures in their last semester in college, what will happen huh? huh?

I wanted to say something else too, Tangled has 8 months, and already passed a quarter from it's bigger(really big) sister DYWTAS, which amazes me to no end. That being said, thank you, my 274 subscribers, for the support and patience and all the interaction we had in these 520 comments up till now.
PS: the songs they sang are: You have a friend in me from toy story OST (namu favorite movie) and You raise me up.