Visiting Mommy - Sunggyu breakdown - School Meeting I

Tangled
 
 

Dongwoo and Hoya had annoyed Sungyeol as much as they could on Saturday and the guy regretted ever thinking about suggesting that dinner, he should have just locked Sunggyu in his room and that was it. No, not his room, but he could have locked the kid in their apartment.

Sungjong spent the morning with Sunggyu and took him out to play in the park before he went back to his dorm before lunch. Sunggyu ate even less than what he ate yesterday but Sungyeol thought it was because he was still upset about not attending his friend’s birthday. He couldn't even conjure the possibility of Myungsoo and Woohyun meeting his brothers in the park and both of them eating some cake there.

Monday came and Sungyeol was ready to go back to his routine, completely set up on keep avoiding Myungsoo and the kid, what he wasn't expecting was Dongwoo planning to make his life hell every time he delivered or picked Sunggyu up school and Sungyeol had to run away back to his car once Dongwoo started something along of the lines: “It's double the work to bring the kids separately, befriend Woohyun’s dad and rotate the responsibility!”

Aside from that, everything was calm and it seemed like Sungyeol would have a good day, a message from his boyfriend telling how much he was missed during this weekend might have given him this impression. Things wouldn't develop that way though.

____________________________________________________________

Mondays are different from Sundays where you're lazy and depressed because Monday would come. Mondays are the days you're forced back into your routine, whatever that may be, but usually, you should go back to school or work, and you are forced to wake up early for that.

But this particular Monday was different for Myungsoo and Woohyun, because this was Feb 10th, or as known in their little family, the day Woohyun’s mom passed away, so, as they did every year, they went to visit his mother.

Wow Ji, look at our baby, isn't he big?” Myungsoo asked as he looked at her grave.

Mom, I grew up 10 cm since my last birthday.” Woohyun said in a cheery tone.

Yah, don't exaggerate.” Myungsoo playfully scolded. “Why don't you talk a little with mommy and inform her what we have been up to?” Myungsoo suggested and patted the kid’s hair.

The boy nodded to him, then looked at her grave and started ranting right away while his dad gave a few steps back to stay with his family and give Woohyun his alone time.

Mom, we moved from Grandpa and Grandma’s house this year and now dad and I have our own apartment with a room to myself! Dad said I can fill my walls with things I like but I still haven't decided what I want to do. Anyway, I finally started Elementary School and I am loving it so much! My teacher has pink hair can you believe it? He teaches me a lot of stuff every day and gives me a lot of homework, but dad helps me with it and sometimes Gyu hyung when I'm at school! Who is Gyu hyung? Gyu hyung is my best friend, I love to play with him....”

Are you sure you want to stay in that apartment on your own, Myungsoo?” Myungsoo’s father asked carefully.

I'm not alone, I have Woohyun and as long as I have him I'm fine.”

That is not what he meant, son.” His mother said. “We could help you more if you still lived with us, you know we don't mind.”

Mom...” Myungsoo sighed tiredly, they had this conversation like a gazillion of times already. “I've been working every chance I got to afford our own place, and we finally made it. Besides, you guys are amazing parents that helped and supported me till here, and I'm sure I'll still need you two helping me into parenthood for a very long time, but Woohyun is my responsibility, I have to get used to taking care of him alone.”

You're so stubborn.” His mother pouted and he thought maybe Woohyun had learned to pout from her, they made their expressions similar.

But mature.” His father added before getting a bit emotional. “It feels like the other day when I'd carry you and your brother around in my arms and now you have a kid of your own...”

Myungsoo chuckled although he didn't move his eyes from his son, that was a couple of feet ahead of him and still ranting. “If you miss carrying someone, Woohyun still can be carried, he is seven now but he is still so tiny. Actually, I think I'll take him to the doctor to see if I should worry about his growth.”

Don't worry about it, you also looked like this little ball at his age too.” Myungsoo’s mother aided and he unknowingly tensed. “You and Jihyun were the smallest in your classroom.”

They were the youngest too.” Myungsoo’s dad added and was about to massage his son's neck when consequently discovered that he was tense when Woohyun came to them.

So did you do a complete report?” He asked with a fond smile and the kid nodded. “Then stay with your grandparents a bit, it's my turn now.” The boy nodded again and Myungsoo moved forward and closer to the grave.

I came up with this talking thing for Woohyun to think he has some way of communicating with you and here I am, hoping for the same.” He chuckled to himself a bit nervously but inhaled to loosen up a bit and get on with this. “Did you see him? He looks nothing like that tiny little baby from back then right? He is seven now, and he is so smart, so sweet, so gentle and... he is a lot like you Ji, I look at him, and I just...” Myungsoo’s eyes watered and he tried to keep the tears, but he knew he wouldn't be able to keep them for very long. “He is perfect Ji, you gave me the best gift you could ever give me and I'm so thankful, but I feel so bad that there was nothing I could have done to help you.... I... I miss you... things would have been easier if you were here watching him grow, you know that right? I do the best I can but I wish we could rely on each other like we always did.” Some tears had fallen by then. “I'm getting scared Ji, Woohyun is growing up and he is getting curious about you, he will start to think about things soon... I don't know what I'll tell him then... I know what you want me to do, but I don't think he is ready anytime soon... so if you could... If you can hear me, wherever you are, can you appear in my dreams and tell me what to do? I'm... I'm so scared Ji.”

Mommy, appear in my dreams too!” Woohyun was excited with the idea and Myungsoo quickly twisted his body to see his son beside him, had he heard everything? What would he do if the boy did hear something?

Woohyun don't sneak up on me, mommy and daddy were talking adults stuff.” Myungsoo lightly scolded alarmed and quickly wiped his cheeks.

Woohyun merely patted his forearm. “It's ok daddy, you don't need to be embarrassed because I miss mommy too and I also want her to appear in my dreams.” Woohyun made a face that pretty much said he understood, but before he could relax, Woohyun asked another question. “But how will I recognize mom if she appears in my dreams?” The boy asked curiously.

Myungsoo was for a second frozen but quickly came up with an answer. “Easy, she looks just like you.”

Dad, that's weird, I'm a boy, wouldn't mom have a girl's face?” Woohyun didn't seem convinced.

Yeah, but you look a lot like her. Your eyes, nose, lips and nice hair comes from her.” Myungsoo argued. “While you took your baby cheeks, your smile and...” He started tickling his son. “All your athletic genes from me.”

The boy laughed with the tickling but when his father stopped he asked. “Can you show me a picture of her?”

Hum... Your mother didn't like to have pictures taken of her, and it's been so long that I think I lost most of the few pictures I had.” He said and Woohyun looked a bit disappointed. “This is why I take so many pictures of you, so there is no way I will lose them all if I have a ton of them.”

The boy blinked and then nodded, that made sense for him, and the next thing Myungsoo knew was Woohyun hugging his waist. “Daddy, mom is really looking at me from heaven right?”

Of course she is.” He hugged him back. “And she is watching me see if I'm taking good care of you too.”

You are.” The boy assured.

Well, if you think so I guess I am.” The young dad chuckled. “Now, let's say our goodbyes to mommy, I need to take you to school, you still can have half of your classes.”

Can't I stay home?” The boy made puppy eyes.

Why stay home? You want mom to think you're slacking off?” Myungsoo asked in a slightly scolding tone. “Besides, Sunggyu must be lonely.”

Oh no, mom, I'm not slacking off I swear!” The boy said alarmed then he became worried. “Gyu hyung must be worried about me, I didn't tell him we would be visiting mom.”

Then let's say our goodbyes, we'll get a ride with grandpa.” The elder suggested and both of them faced the girl’s grave.

Mommy, I wish you could be here, but you're watching me, right? I'm trying my best to make you proud of me. I love you a lot and, don't worry, I will take care of dad.” The boy said.

Myungsoo held a chuckle in before he got serious. “Ji, don't worry, I'm taking care of our baby the best I can. I loved you, I love you and I will forever love you, you'll always be the only woman in my heart.”

Myungsoo’s parents watched them from the distance, silently thinking about the son and dad pair in front of them until his dad decided to talk about his thoughts.

I know Myungsoo has a lot of struggles since Woohyun happened but... I'm so proud of him, I think we raised him well.” Myungsoo’s dad said.

Yeah, but he is not completely happy and it weirds me out that he keeps saying he doesn't need anyone by his side. He is still pretty young, he can rebuild his life and find someone new to love.” The mother sighed.

But the kind of love and complicity he had with Jihyun is not something you can find in just anybody.” The father argued. “I bet he doesn't even notice girls throwing themselves at him.”

You're right but... Myung and Ji, that wasn't real love and he can't fool me.” She said and forced a smile on her face as her son and her grandchild came in their direction, Myungsoo’s father didn't know what she meant.

_____________________________________________

Aside wanting to make Sungyeol’s life difficult to see if he cracked under pressure, Dongwoo pretty much thought his day would be like any other school day like, trying to make some of the kids focus on him, teach them stuff, make sure they followed his instructions when doing the assignments he set up for them, making sure the kids didn't glue their fingers together with glue, make Sunggyu and Woohyun came out of their world to socialize with other kids... well, things he did every day.

Dongwoo tried not to, but he was biased because Sunggyu was sort of, if you squinted a lot, related to his boyfriend, and knowing his problems he wanted to do his best to help him and he has been sort of relieved when Woohyun came into the picture because he made Sunggyu interested in coming to school, and for now that was good, but he knew that the boys had to open up to other kids soon.

Actually, it wasn't as if Woohyun was antisocial or anything, he greeted all the other kids, it was only that his interest in them disappeared the minute Sunggyu arrived at school. Woohyun tried to make Sunggyu talk to the other kids but the older boy seemed afraid to do that so then he just settled for not letting him feel alone.

As for Sunggyu, if he were to arrive first at school, or leave after Woohyun, he would just stay quiet in his corner looking at the other kids but not particularly interested in even doing an attempt at talking to them. After the past year his world had broadened up, but only to Woohyun, and this was something that started bothering Dongwoo, after all, that would happen the day Woohyun got sick and missed school?

Dongwoo regretted even thinking about that this particular Monday because Sunggyu arrived early that day and as the time for class to begin passed he was becoming more and more anxious and then, twenty minutes after the bell rang, it finally dawned on Sunggyu that Woohyun wouldn't be coming today.

The boy started to squirm in his chair and when Dongwoo stopped the lesson to ask him what was wrong, unfortunately, that made all his classmates look at him, which made Sunggyu look at them as if they were potential threats.

Dongwoo immediately recognized that pattern, something that occurred a lot when Sunggyu was still trying to come to school after his parents’ deaths the year before. It wasn't enough that Sunggyu was still mourning his parents’ deaths and getting used to the situation and a new living environment, some kids somehow discovered about his situation and started calling him orphan or gloating they had parents that would live long beside them. Dongwoo could only imagine that was too much for a barely seven-year-old to deal and comprehend back at them, the only thing he knew for sure was that the boy was hurting and that was made clear every time he started to cry.

Hey, what's happening? Tell hyung.” Dongwoo asked worried, cupping his face and inspecting him.

Woohyunnie, Woohyunnie!” Sunggyu could only say in worry before a tear escaped from his eyes and then another and another. “Hyung, wh-where is Woo-Woohyunnie?”

I don't know Sunggyu, but I'm pretty sure nothing happened to him, tomorrow he will come back and you'll see him again.” Dongwoo tried to assure while the rest of the class eyed Sunggyu in curiosity.

No-no, this isn't ri-right.” Sunggyu stuttered. “I-I want to-to see Woohyunnie.” He added nervously as he cried heavily and Dongwoo just knew he had to make sure Sunggyu stopped crying or he would have to call Sungyeol.

Come here, let's go somewhere else to try to calm ourselves a bit.” Dongwoo suggested and pulled him by the hand. “No one is to leave the classroom, ok?” He asked the kids that agreed with a loud yes. He gently took the sobbing Sunggyu out of the classroom and sighed in relief as he saw the teacher responsible for discipline coming out of the bathroom in their corridor. “Hyung!” He waved and beckoned the guy closer. “Can you take care of the kids a bit for me? I have a situation here.”

Spotting the crying Sunggyu, the guy assumed the boy was hurt somewhere so he promptly agreed and Dongwoo gently coaxed Sunggyu into the nurse office.

What happened?” The girl asked worriedly.

Same as always.” Dongwoo replied. “He made a friend that didn't come to school today, and I think he might be scared that something similar to what had happened to his parents happened to his friend.” Dongwoo tried to explain in a low tone as he sat Sunggyu in the bed but Sunggyu cried even more, although he wasn't crying loud. “Gyu-yah nothing happened with Woohyunnie, I'm sure he is fine, maybe he is just a little sick.”

He-he was fine in-in the park ye-yesterday!” Sunggyu retorted.

Oh.” Dongwoo was taken aback. Had Sungyeol let him? But then again Sunggyu said parks and things outdoors were more Sungjong’s thing than their elder brother's. “Still, maybe he had to, I don't know, go to the doctor for a check up.” Dongwoo suggested but Sunggyu shook his head, not accepting his answers.

The nurse left briefly to tell the school high ups about the situation and then Dongwoo, her and one of the school staff were all trying to coax Sunggyu to stop crying and feel better.

Can't we just call the boy’s father and ask what happened so we can calm him down?” The nurse asked.

We can call the parents when something happens to their kid, but not when something happened to another student. We sort of have our hands tied.” The school staff said.

Maybe not completely, I have some connection to Sunggyu’s brothers.” Dongwoo said but bit his lips in hesitation. “But there's something going on and I'm not sure if one of his brothers have some connection with the boy’s family so we could ask.” Sungyeol surely hadn't any, maybe Sungjong had, but by the time he was sure Sungjong was in class, so to not get the attention he sent a message to his dongsaeng.

They waited for almost an hour as the three tried with all forms to calm the boy that didn't stop crying for even one second, but Sungjong didn't reply Dongwoo’s message, he was probably in the middle of some lecture.

Sunggyu-yah, if you don't get better we will have to call your brother to pick you up.” Dongwoo said and Sunggyu was so distressed he started hiccuping.

No! Sca-hic-ry hyung-hic-will be mad-hic-at me!”

I'm sorry, but we can't call Jongie, he is still underage and the one responsible for you is Sungyeol.” Dongwoo was apologetic and passed Sungyeol’s contact (to speed things up a bit) to the school staff present that used the phone in the nurse office to call Sungyeol.

After some rings, the boy brother finally picked up the call. “Hello.” Sungyeol said carefully.

Sungyeol-shi, I'm Seo Inguk from Youngsang Elementary and we're calling to...” The guy wanted to explain but was interrupted to the other side.

What happened?” Sungyeol asked in panic.

As the teacher in charge explained, something similar to what happened last year and...” The guy was interrupted a second time because Dongwoo stole the phone.

Sungyeol, come here urgently. Woohyun missed school today and Sunggyu can't calm down no matter what because of that, he thinks...” Dongwoo started to explain but Sungyeol could already imagine what was going on, he knew exactly what Sunggyu was thinking.

! Get him ready in front the school, I'll arrive in twenty.” Sungyeol said a little breathless, he was already running.

Ok, he is coming.” Dongwoo announced as he hung up the phone as the other guy sort of glared at him for stealing the phone. “Noona can you pick his bag? Is the navy blue one with some Telemonster stickers in it.”

A few minutes later Dongwoo -that refused to leave Sunggyu, since the nurse told him the disciplinary teacher was telling the kids a story - and the school staff guy waited for Sungyeol to arrive in front the school. A car parked some minutes after they arrived there but it wasn't who they were waiting.

Out of the parked car came an adult with two backpacks, one black and the other, a bit smaller, red. He opened the other backseat door and a boy slipped himself out, they talked to whoever was at the front of the car and then directed themselves towards the school entrance.

Hyung!” Woohyun greeted from a distance and ran to him, with his father in his toll, but, as close as they got from the kid and the two adults, both father and son could see that something was definitely wrong with Sunggyu and his desperate crying was a heavy indication.

Hyung what happened?” Woohyun approached his friend carefully and Sunggyu promptly hugged him tightly although he still cried, but not because of fear or uncertainty, he was crying now out of relieving.

Woo-Woohyunie, you-you're fine!” He said on the younger boys ears

Woohyun wasn't understanding a thing but he hugged Sunggyu back. “I'm fine hyung.”

Another person that wasn't understanding a thing was Myungsoo, that albeit having a confused and inquiring expression moved to a somewhat relieved Dongwoo. “I'm sorry for bringing Woohyun so late, we have a valid reason for that, but... huh... what happened?”

Unfortunately we can't tell you, Mr. Kim.” Dongwoo seemed apologetic. “What I can say is that Sunggyu thought something bad happened to Woohyun and suddenly he couldn't calm down, so Sungyeol is coming to pick him up.” The pink haired teacher added.

Myungsoo looked at the kids again and noticed his son wanted to let go of the hug, maybe Sunggyu was holding him too tightly in place and not letting him breathe freely, so he had to intervene and for that, he approached the two boys.

Sunggyu?” He patted Sunggyu’s hair lightly. “Can you loose your hold a bit?” He asked softly and the boy just shook his head. “But I think Woohyunnie can't breathe, we don't want him to hurt, do we?” He asked, again with a very soothing tone, and that did the trick because Sunggyu crying eyes became big and he promptly let go of the boy that took a deep intake of air the moment he felt free.

Myungsoo placed both his bag and Woohyun’s bag on the ground and crouched beside Sunggyu, and the boy thought for a second that he was going to be scolded by Woohyun’s dad because he had squeezed his friend too much. Maybe he would stop being nice and be like Sungyeol, prohibiting him from visiting Woohyun. Myungsoo lifted a hand and the boy closed his eyes and was somehow almost hiccuping in fear of what his friend’s dad could do to him, but he only felt big fingers touching him underneath his small eyes and wiping his tears clean.

Sunggyu was deeply confused. Most of the times he cried when having similar feelings as of today's, there weren't many people that could comfort him, his teacher and school staff had tried before, Sungyeol tried a couple of times as well until he stopped bothering and up till now Sungjong was the only one that was able to come close to comfort him, though his middle brother mostly let him have whatever human contact he wanted and let him cry until he fell asleep.

People that knew about the problems Sunggyu’s family had in the past year were always assuming what the three brothers were feeling, but, when it came to Sunggyu, no one aside Sungjong had ever asked the kinds of questions Myungsoo asked him next.

Were you upset because Woohyun didn't come to school?” It was the first question and since he was a bit surprised he didn't answer. “Were you worried about Woohyunnie?” Myungsoo made his tone even softer and coaxing.

The boy looked down to his feet and finally nodded shyly. “What were or are you feeling? Just like Woohyun does, you can talk to me about whatever you want. Hyung will listen and explain whatever you need to know to feel better.” Myungsoo assured.

Sunggyu hesitated to answer, was he even allowed saying what he felt? Sungyeol didn't let him do that often. But if he was, could he even put it into words? As Sunggyu debated this with himself, and unknown to him, Sungyeol parked his car on the other side of the school, crossed the street and came as fast he could towards the group of people waiting, though when he came halfway Dongwoo made hand sign for him to slow down and come quietly not to startle them, after all neither his brother nor his neighbor were facing him and apparently they were in their own world.

I was scared Woohyunnie would be hurt and wouldn't come to school anymore.” Sunggyu spoke in a barely audible whisper, way calmer now, and hesitated before adding. “That he would leave me alone too.” Dongwoo was biting his lips not to cry while sort of glaring at Sungyeol and even Sungyeol had his stone cold heart squeezed too.

Myungsoo engulfed him in a hug that Sunggyu replied right away, Woohyun’s dad hugs were so comfy, so nice, he wanted to have that too, not only on the weekends when Sungjong came, but every time he needed it.

It's ok. It's ok.” Myungsoo patted his son’s friend’s back while Woohyun patted the boy’s hair and Sunggyu enjoyed this kind of affection as much as he could, he knew that when his older brother arrived, he wouldn't be able to have that anymore.

When they pulled apart Myungsoo got Sunggyu’s small hands in his, pulled Woohyun to Sunggyu’s side again and then placed Sunggyu’s hands on Woohyun’s small body, more precisely in his forearm. “But he's fine, see? Nothing happened to him, he is still here and he won't go anywhere.” Myungsoo used an assuring tone. Sunggyu pleaded With his eyes for Myungsoo to be saying the truth, he couldn't bear if something were to happen to his most recent and most loved friend.

We were visiting my mommy.” Woohyun explained as he held Sunggyu’s hands in his hands. “I'm sorry I'm late hyung, I didn't mean to leave you alone. I promise I'll come every day even if I'm sick.” He added apologetically.

Don't say nonsense, if you're sick you have to stay home. If you come you'll make other kids, including Sunggyu, sick too.” Myungsoo playfully scolded and both boys nodded. “We don't want that, do we?” He asked and both boys shook their heads synchronized. “Good.” Myungsoo said with a proud tone and ruffled both boys’ hair.

And that's when, unfortunately, Dongwoo opened his mouth and the moment was very, very broken. “Sunggyu, it's time to go! Your brother has arrived.”

Woohyun gasped and Myungsoo and Sunggyu seemed like they were struck by lightning that pulled them apart. Sunggyu, that had calmed enough with Woohyun and Myungsoo presence, started to become stressed again and almost to hyperventilate, and as for Myungsoo, he retreated afraid that this tight brother would create another problem that could hinder the kids’ friendship even more. Luckily for him, Sungyeol didn't direct his words at him.

Let's go Sunggyu.” He grabbed Sunggyu’s bag with Dongwoo and offered a hand for the younger but Sunggyu eyed it as if that hand was his worst enemy and it was really quick but Myungsoo could see hurt in the elder’s eyes when Sunggyu hid behind Woohyun and shook his head. “I dropped everything and came for you because I thought you were having a problem and now you want to stay? Are you kidding me?” Sungyeol almost snapped and everyone could notice he was starting to get angry.

You should go with your brother Gyu.” Dongwoo coaxed. “You'll rest a lot at home and when you feel fine you'll come again.”

Sunggyu didn't like school and if he had been offered that he would rather choose to go home, but Woohyun had just arrived and he was fine and that meant they could play when break arrived. He didn't want to go.

Myungsoo hesitated a bit but placed a hand on the boy’s shoulder. “Your brother came because he was worried about you. Go home Sunggyu, I promise Woohyun will be here before you even arrive tomorrow and he won't skip school anymore.” He said and Woohyun nodded.

Sunggyu sighed but grabbed Sungyeol’s hand the moment Dongwoo started coaxing Woohyun to come inside and Myungsoo briefly said his goodbyes with a ruffle on the boy's hair.

Sungyeol stayed in place for a couple of seconds as he watched the young dad and when Myungsoo looked back at him Sungyeol was there looking back straight into his eyes. They were like this for whole two seconds, that seemed more like two hours of Sungyeol displaying some sort of emotion Myungsoo couldn't quite grasp, until Sungyeol snapped back to his senses, turned around and pulled Sunggyu (way gentler than the first time Myungsoo saw them) towards his car.

Myungsoo was left confused. Usually, Sungyeol provoked strong feelings in him and it left him annoyed most of the times anyone said his name. Today though, nothing of that happened.

________________________________________________

After that day Sungyeol was glad Sunggyu didn't have troubles in school anymore but when February was coming to its end, things started to get really busy, because what college student life wasn't? There were things to read, assignments to be done, reviews to be made, a lot to study and maybe even some parties to attend, which, even if Sunggyu wasn't his responsibility, Sungyeol still wouldn't attend.

In Sungyeol’s head those kind of parties were for 1 - people that didn't care about studying whatsoever; 2 – people that were after an easy date (which he didn't need because he had a boyfriend); 3 – people that wanted to avoid problems by using alcohol and drugs; 4 – people that didn't have to work.... Anyway, Sungyeol could do a list, but he didn't fit any options and that's why he stayed home, studying, working, taking care of Sunggyu and happily going out with his boyfriend every Saturday - honestly the best day of his week and unfortunately the only day he could see his boyfriend, they were such busy people.

Myungsoo was popular in college due to his looks, though he didn't care or didn't notice that, and that's why people invited him into places pretty frequently. Many people tried to talk and get acquainted with him on daily basis, and it didn't help that he, though the shortest, was the ace of the basketball college team. Myungsoo just felt that kind of people too overbearing, and honestly too curious, and after high school was over he thought it was better not to divulge he had a son because the judging was heavy and he was already an awkward turtle back then, if he had said he had a son no one would have befriended him at all.

But it was not like he hid Woohyun. His closest friends and teammates didn't know all the story because Myungsoo didn't like talking about that with anyone, but they knew he was a single dad because it was kind of impossible to miss a young boy following Myungsoo around every game. Of course, because they didn't look alike, people that didn't know Myungsoo thought Woohyun was like a young adopted brother.

Talking about basketball, because February was ending and the games would start as soon as the midterms ended, Myungsoo had started to practice and that meant that on Wednesdays Woohyun would sleep at his grandparents’ and on Saturdays he would attend Myungsoo’s practices and, depending on Sungyeol’s schedule, Sunggyu and Sungjong would appear too, which strangely started to attract Moonsoo as well. Not that Myungsoo would complain if there was someone watching the kids he would be fine.

What Myungsoo didn't know, and Sungyeol completely forgot, was that the kid's school had a parent-teachers meeting every once in a while to talk about the kids’ development and unfortunately for them both, that would happen on the Friday before all the exams started, which left them both groaning for different reasons.

Myungsoo knew Moonsoo was about to start his first freshman midterms and was studying like crazy lately, his mother had a trip scheduled to taste the food in a new resort in Jeju and his father, that wasn't dumb, went with her. Woohyun knew some of his friends, but Woohyun didn't like to be babysat by them and Myungsoo didn't trust them anyway, so yeah, the only solution was to drag the boy with him to that boring (for the kid, he didn't know what to expect from that yet) meeting.

As for Sungyeol, he knew Sungjong had his tests to do as well so he just informed him of the day and time of the meeting, though he didn't think Sungjong would come, and tried calling Hoya to babysit his baby brother. Unfortunately for him, Hoya couldn't. “Sorry Yeol, my assistant quit and now I'm behind schedule, I have been pulling so many all nighters that I'll probably sleep over Sunggyu.”

Sungyeol sighed deeply, that was the downside of not being a social person. He still thought about hiring a babysitter for a day but Sunggyu looked terrified about that and Sungyeol quickly gave up the idea, it was not like he could trust anyone besides Sungjong, Hoya or Dongwoo with Sunggyu anyway, so the only solution he had was to drag Sunggyu there, maybe he could stay quietly at the playground while he attended the meeting?

Myungsoo and Sungyeol could only do what anyone in either their situations did: study beforehand so they could skip Friday activities to attend that meeting and when that Friday came surely they were both there, attracting the attention of everyone since they were the maknaes between the parents.

It had been more than a month that the issue with Sunggyu happened in school and Sungyeol had been so busy he hadn't had time to freely hate on the neighbors, so as soon as he arrived the meeting he sat at the first chair that he saw pulling Sunggyu to sit next to him.

He handed some paper and pencils to entertain Sunggyu while he watched the teachers’ lecture before they went for the one on one meetings with the parents. “If you don't want to draw prepare yourself to sleep because this will be boring.” Sungyeol said and Sunggyu pouted, for once he and Sungyeol were on the same wave length.

Myungsoo arrived with Woohyun ten minutes before things started and there wasn't any chair left at the front or in the middle. Not that he wanted, Sungyeol was a couple of rows in front of him, and he thought, that giving Sungyeol’s thoughts on him and Woohyun, it was better if they were to sit far apart, not to mention that would avoid people giving him judgmental stares from the beginning.

Something that was surprising for both of them was that Sungjong appeared right before the meeting started. He stopped on his way to greet Myungsoo and Woohyun when Sungyeol hadn’t spotted him yet, then went to talk to Sungyeol and Sunggyu which surprised both of them, but since there wasn't any chair left Sungjong went to the back and sat beside Myungsoo.

Sungyeol and Sungjong had already seen this lecture last year so the elder brother was almost dozing off in the front, but Myungsoo was a first timer in these sort of things so Sungjong whispered in his ear some explanations which made him grateful.

When the lecture was finished, the parents went to their kids’ classrooms and lined up to talk to the teachers. The two families stood each one in their corner and some parents started small talks with both Sungyeol and Myungsoo to know why such young people were there and it was left unsaid but people were more understanding of Sungyeol’s situation, aside some divorced old women trying to hit on Myungsoo, he was pretty much judged even more when they compared his face with Woohyun’s. Not that he cared, these people didn't pay his bills.

Woohyun and Sunggyu were the only kids in their classes that were dragged into this, and, because they couldn't play together under Sungyeol’s hawk eyes, Sungjong started to play with his brother while Myungsoo with his son. Sungjong thought things were getting pretty interesting by then, because it had been a while since Sungyeol had stopped complaining about his neighbors, though he still didn't let the kids play, and his older brother was staring so much at the parent and kid pair that he didn't know why Myungsoo wasn't feeling some holes in his skin yet.

There weren't many kids in the boys’ classroom and Dongwoo was calling the parents by alphabetical order of the kids' surname, sometimes calling just one, sometimes called two sets of parents at a time, so it was a surprise when Dongwoo came out of the room and called them.

Kim Sunggyu and Kim Woohyun.” Sungyeol tore his gaze from his neighbors and instructed Sungjong to keep an eye on Sunggyu while he checked up on Sunggyu’s progress and went inside the classroom.

Kim Woohyun!” Dongwoo raised his voice and now Woohyun and Myungsoo stopped whatever they were doing to look in questioning at Dongwoo. The boy knew there was only one Woohyun in his class, but he wasn't a Kim he was a Nam, and his dad didn't know that but wondered why the teacher had changed his son’s surname until the pink haired man urged him with his eyes to enter the classroom as well.

Still confused, he grabbed his son’s hand and tried to pull him inside the classroom but Dongwoo blocked the way. “Actually, we aren't supposed to let the kids hear this.”

But I don't have anyone to watch him.”

I can watch him for you, hyung.” Sungjong suggested. “I don't think Sungyeol hyung will mind if this makes him leave here early, we both have complex exams to take on Monday.” Woohyun and Sunggyu smiled to each other and Myungsoo caught himself agreeing and entering the room only to see Sungyeol yawning.

Myungsoo was offered a seat beside his neighbor and the two exchanged an awkward look and the next thing he knew, Dongwoo was sitting in front of them with a serious face.

First, I'm sorry for calling Woohyun name wrongly, the remaining parents don't need to know his surname is different, but I wanted to talk to you both at the same time.” He said and Myungsoo nodded, what else could he do? He saw Sungyeol roll his eyes at the side. “Second, since I already know Sungyeol for some time I'll use a more free form of speech so I hope you don't mind that either Myungsoo-shi.”

Absolutely not.” Myungsoo replied but Sungyeol also talked beside him. “Then tell us everything already, I have a week full of exams ahead of me, I have to study.”

Then let's start.” Dongwoo grinned wickedly which made Myungsoo confused, but the young dad was sure his neighbor shuddered and was regretting coming here today.


______________________________________________________

AN: I just finished, I wanted to update so I did it because I could hehehe anyway prepare yourselves for some changes on Sungyeol because that will be coming soon.