The past - The present - The beginning of the end

Tangled
 
 

When the cups fell from Sungyeol hands, the boys arrived running to ask what happened and they had to come up with an excuse so Woohyun ended up picking up cup after cup while Sunggyu squinted his eyes at him, clearly not believing his words. After that, they weren't alone anymore and Sungyeol left the apartment to drop the kids in school and then go to college like he did every day and that left them with no time to talk.

He cursed the timing Myungsoo told him about it, but on the other hand he thanked the gods, because it made him distracted enough to not think about his conversation with Sungjong after he finished all his tasks of the day and the procedures to schedule his presentation on that particular Thursday they had to skip time together.

At night they hadn't the time to talk either mainly because the boys were demanding Sungyeol attention as they wanted him to explain homework again because this time even Sunggyu was getting confused. And then the kids decided that they wanted to play with his keyboard even if they barely knew how to play anything. The only thing useful Sungyeol got on this day was that, despite Myungsoo being a bit down, nothing much changed between father and son, so Woohyun definitely didn't know anything about his origins. Still, Sungyeol was curious.

On Friday thought that was a perfect opportunity to take the matter into his hands - even though he knew Myungsoo would ask about his conversation with Sungjong too – and decided to call Sungjong and Moonsoo and ask them to spend some time in the arcade with the kids.

When he arrived at Myungsoo apartment, he found the younger sighing as he looked helplessly at the screen of his computer.

Myungsoo?” He called softly while knocking on the door just because he wanted Myungsoo attention because with the way Myungsoo looked it didn't seem as if he had noticed Sungyeol entering his apartment and walking towards his room at all.

Myungsoo sighed again then closed his laptop screen to look at Sungyeol. “How can you schedule your presentation early and I be stuck with my project? Life is so unfair.” Myungsoo whined.

Sungyeol approached and patted Myungsoo hair affectionately, he learned a lot of loving gestures from watching the pair of father and son and now sometimes he could emulate to almost perfection. “That happened because I refused to play with Sunggyu before so, in the end, you're winning in life.” The elder tried to cheer his boyfriend because he thought it is too blunt to come asking about Myungsoo talk with Woohyun, and the younger didn't seem that upset.

Myungsoo just sighed a third time, got up and walked to his bed only to let his body fall on it ungracefully. “I don't think it has anything to do with that.”

Sungyeol then moved to sit beside the younger and lean his back on the headboard. “Do you think you're stuck because what happened this week with Woohyun left you in no mood to write?” He asked and Myungsoo rolled to look at the ceiling. “There were times when I was sad and that also happened.” He offered.

No, I was already like this before. It is like I have these two dots that I have to connect with a line but I feel like I have no pen to be able to do it. I feel lost.” Myungsoo explained using his hands to do some mimicry.

Then you have to talk to your professor. She will know best how to help you out.”

I know, but she couldn't make it this week due to personal problems. I guess it was baby related stuff, you do remember that my professor is pregnant, right?” Myungsoo asked lifting a brow at his boyfriend.

Yes, you told me.”

I hope there is nothing wrong with her baby and I can talk to her next week.” Myungsoo said wistfully then changed the subject. “Did you managed to schedule your presentation? Did they said anything?”

Well, I did the procedures to ask for it. I think they will reply me tomorrow and if the answer is positive they'll schedule a date.” Sungyeol replied as he scratched his nape.

Can I go watch it? You know to support you and see how it's done?” Myungsoo asked now looking at Sungyeol with pleading eyes.

Sure if you want to support me but tell me how a presentation about literature could help you with a presentation about photography?”

Literature is also art. Written art.” Myungsoo argued.

I agree but your kind of art is visual. I don't even have to come up with a power point presentation because there will be no picture, I will talk all the time.” Sungyeol said as the elder chuckled.

Tell me a place, day and time, and I will go watch you.” Myungsoo said and Sungyeol nodded in agreement.

They became silent after that, with Myungsoo looking at the ceiling and Sungyeol not knowing how to approach nor the crisis his boyfriend said he had or the conversation he had with Sungjong. But apparently, the younger was fed up with that situation first and asked him about it.

How was your conversation with Sungjong?”

Sungyeol forced a smile that came out really awkward and he blurted out the first thing that came into his mind. “Is this your way to avoid talking about the phone call Woohyun heard and all its consequences?”

Myungsoo his sides and supported his weight on his elbow. “By asking me that aren't you doing the same?” The younger asked back and Sungyeol avoided his boyfriend gate. He definitely wasn't a genius but Sungyeol thought that it seemed as if Myungsoo had a Ph.D. on him sometimes.

Sungyeol gulped hard before speaking. “It was...”

Jong?”

Hyung, let's not talk about that.” The younger pleaded to avoid the elder eyes.

We have a problem.” Sungyeol sighed then tapped his fingers on the table. “If we don't talk about that I won't know your problems and won't be able to help you, therefore we won't grow close. Also, if you don't tell me I will not have enough courage to read my own letters so I won't be able to move on.”

Hyung!” Sungjong whined. “You are already a good brother for me, we don't need to develop anything and you don't need to correlate these things too.” the younger argued.

I don't need, but I could, it is like killing two birds with one stone. Come on.” The elder insisted. “Besides, you're the only one in this whole world that comes from the same place than I do, no one would understand, or help me understand, things the best. Can't you see that I need you and I am put my pride on the side to ask for your help in something that I'm telling you I'm not good with?”

Sungjong looked at of his brother's eyes on the screen of his computer for a couple seconds as he thought about what he just heard then fidgeted in his seat. He knew Sungyeol had always had knowledge about everything under the sun but if there was one thing he could school his hyung for eternity it was on sociability, the elder knew the theory but reality was completely a different thing sometimes.

And he knew Sungyeol had been learning a lot just by spending all of his free time with Myungsoo but the fact that his brother was seeking his help because of something only he could help was something that left him not only touched but eager to help when Sungyeol put his words like this. At the end he knew he also hadn't much of a choice, Sungyeol had a way with his words and was good in debates, he knew how to be convincing if he wanted, so he just needs to open up fast before Sungyeol decided to get insistent for hours and hinder his sleep.

He sighed and grabbed his phone and fumbled with it, and Sungyeol became impatient. “Sungjong!”

I'm searching for the letters.” Sungjong said as he rolled his eyes at his hyung. “I took a picture of them before I returned them, I also took a couple of weeks to read.” He explained, much for his elder brother relief, as he tapped on the screen of his phone a bit more. “Here they are, so? How can I help you? Ask away.”

Sungyeol sighed before asking his brother at loss. “Were they helpful for you to understand anything or did it hurt you to know whatever it was written?”

Sungjong thought for a bit before he replied softly. “Hyung-ah, one thing is not exactly dissociated from the other, you know this, right? I think it will hurt independently if you like what is written or not. Besides, from what I could infer after I was born mom wrote about you and me in the same letters and I don't know how the mother of our boyfriends sorted these letters but I don't think I could get the hole picture since half the letters are in your possession.”

Urgh.” Sungyeol leaned his elbows on the table and ran his hands over his face.

Hey, don't be upset. I can send you the pictures I took, in fact, I should do it now.” Sungjong suggested. “It took some time but I've written the dates on the images so it gets easy to navigate therefore you should be able to put them in some order.”

So, aside from emotional trouble we need to organize things?” The elder sighed.

I guess, maybe you should take pictures of your letters and send to me, maybe we could organize the letters together in a file and upload on the internet so we can both access at the same time, what do you think? Do you want to do it now?”

That's a good idea, but the amount of them... I bet they have a lot of pages too.” Sungyeol said as he looked at a box full of letters beside his desk.

Well, there are a lot of them but I noticed that sometimes they sent 3 to four letters in the same month then take two or three months to talk again, so you don't need to do everything now, maybe just the ones after I was born.” Sungjong deadpanned.

Argh, fine, fine, wait a minute.” Sungyeol said then got up to get the box and a couple of seconds later he was sitting in front of the screen again and taking a lot of packs from a box. “See the amount.” He complained.

Well, you lived longer, but get the ones from the year I was born onwards, you can go over your early childhood later.” The younger said as he stretched to get a USB cable and connect both ends of it.

Myungsoo mother is organized, the packs are sorted by year.” Sungyeol said with an expression of approval.

Right?” The younger said as he started looking intently to the screen though not to the camera, probably already engrossed in finding the pictures he took from his letters. “I'll upload mine in a bit and share the file with you.”

Here it is.” Sungyeol finally found a pack he could start with them placed the rest on the box and said box on the ground then sighed as he opened the first one. “I guess this will take some time.”

I know.” Sungjong replied as he selected the pictures he wanted to upload. “But maybe I can read some parts for you while you do it.”

I won't be able to do this for long though. “Sungyeol adjusted the first letter pages on his table and grabbed his phone. “I was hoping to spend some time with Myungsoo after the boys fall asleep.”

Myungsoo...” Sungjong almost giggled. “Hyung, you should see your face every time you talk about him.” Sungyeol immediately stopped taking pictures and glared at Sungjong trough the screen. “I'm not saying this to annoy you, chill, it's just amusing to see you with so many feelings. You just need to say when you want to leave.” The younger looked at Sungyeol, that just ended taking pictures from the first letter and was already opening the second. “Can I start?”

Yeah, at least it will make this mechanical movement less boring.”

Here it goes then, this is one had long part replying to the content of the previous letter and then she talks about everyone:

'Mimi, congratulations on Moonsoo birth, he looked so healthy and cute, how come you only produce beautiful children? I bet that by now your husband already told you I visited, I had an appointment in the Hospital and took the time to visit you but you were sleeping and I didn't want to wake you up, you looked tired.

By then I didn't see Myungsoo around, who did you leave him with? Bumsoo's parents? I wish I could have some relatives to relay on too. You know my husband has a twin that doesn't have his own children right? He and his wife are good people and they sometimes help me keep an eye on Sungyeol, but they recently adopted a boy around Yeollie age (his name is Howon) and up till now they didn't warm up to each other. It seems that Howon is having some troubles to adapt too so I don't think I can leave Sungyeol on their care when my baby is born.

I can't help but tell you this over and over again but I'm always amazed by how we discovered I was pregnant when I was accompanying you on a doctor appointment. Remember that we were hoping that it would be a girl so we could marry her to one of your sons in the future so we could be a family? Well, that's not going to happen, it seems that I can only produce boys too. We are not sure how we will name him yet but it's gonna probably be Sungjong, I already started calling him Jongie, hehe.

Since my belly wasn't showing yet we didn't tell Sungyeol anything but now that we know the gender we told him and his reaction... that boy! I was expecting a jealous fit or at least that he asked me where the babies come from but do you know what he did? He looked intently at my belly for a whole minute then asked me how far I was. I was completely dumbfounded so I asked him how did he think Sungjong ended up on my belly and he said he watched a documentary about babies that explained how that happened and then proceeded to talk about and conception right away.

Myungsoo just turned four right? Does he know about such things? What did you tell him when you explained about Moonsoo? Even if Sungyeol discovered that by watching a documentary, is it ok for him to remember such concepts in detail and be able to pronounce such big words correctly? Not only that, he estimated the time Sungjong will be born, circled it on a calendar, and told me he would only talk to his father because my hormones would start acting up. How do I deal with that? I was done when he asked me, pretty indifferently, if it would be a C-section or if I would let the baby arrive when he was ready.'

She seemed pretty frustrated.” The younger concluded with a chuckle.

Sungjong stopped talking and Sungyeol snorted as he took another picture. “You think that was funny?”

Considering you're one of a kind, yes.” The younger replied with an amused smile.

Well, she was mad, but it wasn't like I said something to offend her, hormones do act up during pregnancies.” Sungyeol shrugged.

I don't think pregnant women like to be reminded of that and as far as I remember, during Sunggyu pregnancy she only became weird in the last trimester, it was barely noticeable before.” Sungjong said.

Barely noticeable...” Sungyeol snorted. “I guess you're right if you consider that she was often like that. She was always done with me when I was little, it was always like. 'Honey, come to deal with your son!' All the time.”

But when you had four she didn't know, did she?” Sungjong asked.

No, she only tested me when I was six.” He replied then got back to taking pictures. “Read me something else, more interesting this time.”

OK, here it goes, this is from a year later.

'Mimi, how can you do that? Tell me, you must have a hidden trick because my boys don't interact that way at all. Sungyeol barely gets close to Sungjong and when I ask him why he says 'because babies are fragile'. The closest I can get them together is before bedtime but that's also when Sungyeol wants to read the newspaper for his brother (I don't know how but I left to work one day and when I came back he was practicing reading aloud) as if it was a bedtime story. And do you think he talks about light-headed stuff? No, he wants to read about the economy even though he doesn't understand! What do I do with this boy?

Sungjong is six months now so we decided to invite Oppa's brother family here to see how he reacts to different people. They also didn't see Sungjong often although oppa and his brother are trying to encourage Sungyeol and Howon to befriend. When Sungyeol was little he somehow discovered how to differentiate his father from his uncle and would always guess it right but Sungjong got so anxious and girl, he has the lungs. I've never heard Jongie scream so loudly and desperately and even avoid his father.

It was tough making Sungjong stop screaming and it took a while, a time Sungyeol took to put a chair in front of the stove and cook some ramyeon, that he said he learned to watch me cook, for him and Howon. Sungyeol does not treat Howon as a friend yet but he said he wouldn't let the boy starve, it was kinda good and Howon enjoyed that- but when we noticed we got pretty worried with the possibility of him hurting himself in the stove. We had to ground him, but he was pretty indifferent about it and rolled his eyes at us but Sungjong found that the most amusing thing ever and changed from crying to giggling and now it doesn't matter what Sungyeol does if Jongie sees him he laughs.'”

That kind of annoyed me sometimes, though I know you were too small to be teasing me already.” Sungyeol interrupted as he recalled his memories.

But hyung, you're kinda amusing.” Sungjong reasoned with a smile. “And I know I was too small to remember, but this I can imagine you doing because that's so you to roll your eyes whenever she tried to ground you.”

Well, what I was supposed to do? Hoya hyung and I were hungry, and our parents were busy with you. Besides mom and I knew that a timeout wouldn't do any grounding wonder because I enjoyed staying quiet in a corner.” Sungyeol said shrugging his shoulders.

With your books.” Sungjong completed.

A newspaper would do too.” Sungyeol added after a thought.

And that freaked her out.” Sungjong pointed.

At the time, yes.” Sungyeol conceded. “Read something else.” Sungyeol asked as he proceeded to take quick pictures with more letters.

Ok, I'll skip some years.” The younger dragged his voice as he chose what to read. “Ahnn, I think I want to read this.

'This month was again nothing like I imagined and I feel like a fool for thinking it could be different. Sometimes I want to cry out frustration, why things can never go smoothly? Why is motherhood not easy on me?

You might be wondering what happened, right? Hyunjin oppa bought a new phone so we gave Sungyeol his old one and he has been calling me, or his father, quite frequently and I thought he started to miss us - this thought alone made me happy because... you know how Sungyeol is. Anyway, this past month the kids had been on a break from school so we picked Sungyeol up as we always do and this time he seemed eager to go home.

We cleaned Sungyeol room, put new bed sheets, and I cooked his favorite dish to welcome him, I was so happy (despite being frustrated with Sungjong lately) but when we finally reunited all Sungyeol wanted was to be alone, in his room, with his books or watching some documentary, or some reruns from that cartoon he likes (not even Sungjong likes this).

In a way, I don't have anything to complain about Sungyeol. He learned how to cook on his own, when he is home he washes his own clothes, cleans his mess (well, he barely does any mess), he makes his own bed and if it is necessary he watches over and feeds Sungjong. I know deep down my son is a good boy but he barely interacts.

A couple of days after Sungyeol arrived home (and locked himself in his room, which was weird because he usually loiters in the living room reading something), I was sleeping because I arrived from work late and Sungjong woke me up to ask a question about whales – he is in phase that he asks a lot of questions (Sungyeol wasn't like that) but he has troubles to comprehend and explaining him takes hours – and I was already complaining (I confess a bit loudly) when Sungyeol appeared and said he would explain anything Jongie wanted. They spent the whole day talking and I swear to god Sungyeol surprised me in the patience department because he explained every question in two or three different ways every time and thanks to that they got very close (no luck for poor Howon yet).

I'm happy that my sons spent so much time together this time, but nothing else we tried with Sungyeol worked and he behaved how he usually behaves. The different thing was that til last year Sungyeol was always happy to leave home (with a smile on his face and all) and go back to his school, but this time his eyes watered a bit (though he didn't cry) and he looked sad and hesitant...'”

Stop! Stop! Stop!” Sungyeol pleaded and Sungjong immediately looked at his brother image on the screen. “Jongie, let's not continue that.” Sungyeol said a bit distressed.

Why? Is this...” Sungjong was halfway articulating another question when Sungyeol cast his down and suddenly the younger had an answer. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring back any sad memories.”

Sungyeol sighed and moved his eyes back to the computer. “You shouldn't be sorry, you don't have anything to do with that.” The youngest looked down at his lap but nodded as Sungyeol continued. “Jong, why did you decide to read this particular part for me?”

There are two reasons.” Sungjong said, still looking down to his lap. “I always wondered if you ever gave her any signs that something wasn't right and if she really ignored you then and for how long.”

Can this even be considered a sign? At first, I didn't know what was happening to me was bullying, then I didn't know how to reach for help so that part is on me.” Sungyeol said as he placed his phone over the table and pushed the letter he currently had it open away.

I think it can.” Sungjong said sadly. “When I look back you never behaved like a normal child, but that behavior was certainly different than what was normal for you. You never locked your room before, I remember I needed to knock on your door then you'd let me in and lock your room all over again. You seemed often on the edge most of the time and Hoya hyung even got some suspicious glares from you, do you know how often Hoya hyung was sad about that?” The younger finished with a soft scolding tone.

Unfortunately, we talked about that a couple of times.” Sungyeol admitted. “But Hoya hyung and I are tight-knit for a couple of years already, we lived together and I talk to him almost every day so let's not bring him into this now. I want to know about you, how it was like for you when I was away, if the blinded eyes were for me only or if she behaved similarly to you.”

Sungjong gulped some saliva down his throat. “ And that's the other reason, can't you notice anything similar on these three letters I read?”

She was always complaining about me?” Sungyeol spoke the obvious but Sungjong shook his head so he tried again as he decided to focus on what was said about his brother. “She didn't exactly complain about you in these parts, but she did say she was becoming frustrated with you, why?”

Now we are talking, but you forgot to say she was always comparing.” Sungjong sighed.

If I were to be logical, shouldn't parents compare their experiences with the oldest and the second son?” The elder asked as his phone vibrated signaling a message.

I guess it would be fine if she said something like: Sungyeol was like this and Sungjong was like that.” The younger replied as Sungyeol sneaked a peek at his phone then placed it down again. “But I can tell that from her behavior, from her letters and from some stories I heard from our father, that it wasn't like that.”

Then what happened that was beyond what was supposed to be normal?”Sungyeol crossed his arms over his desk and gave his brother his unconditional attention once again.

I guess when the second child comes, the parents sort of know what to expect but because you were different she expected that I was different because that way she would know what to do but since I was the normal one it was like another first time for her.” Sungjong explained then took a deep breath before continuing. “Then, even after he discovered about your IQ, she still treated me as if I didn't meet any of her expectations.”

Tell me an example.”

Imagine I had my finals and then I would arrive home happily and say, 'Mom, dad I got high marks in this subject'. Then dad would say 'congratulations Jongie, you did well' and mom would say 'only one subject? Sungyeol had always had high marks in everything'. The younger eyes watered and he started pouring down his heart. “It wouldn't matter if I gave my blood, sweat, and tears to get that grade, she always wanted me to do better than you but that would be impossible because you are you and I'm just a normal person, and if a miracle would happen the closest I could get from your accomplishments was a tie.”

Jongie, I...”

It was so frustrating because she expected me to be a more social version of you... and living in your shadows, nothing I did could be good enough, sometimes I thought 'what is the point of even trying' and at some point, I thought I wasn't able to learn and...”

And then I spent about three hours talking to him.” Sungyeol concluded.

Wow.” Myungsoo said with surprise. “But he doesn't seem like he has these kinds of problems at all.”

That's what I initially thought. I didn't live with Sungjong that long so I think there was no way of me knowing because he always put's up a front and he is good at that, besides he always asked me stuff and if it wasn't for him, and later Hoya hyung, I wouldn't even talk to anyone when I was being bullied because that part of my life made me want to be alone all the time.” Sungyeol said with frustration then continued.

She overlooked things that were important for him, she provided more than bonded with him as hell and made him have so many insecurities he thought he wasn't able to learn which is absurd. Sungjong mind is sharp, he learns fast, he has critical thinking, and he often was curious to know more about everything that was taught to him.”

Then why do I feel like at some point he had trouble in school because of his grades?” Myungsoo asked a bit confused.

That was a phase ok? Sungjong is not stupid and he is a silent hard worker, from what I heard his problems were emotional because of the pressure he had home so he would often blank during exams.” Sungyeol explained/defended and a second later he added something else. “Also the methodology of Korean education doesn't fit him. He isn't the type to just accept things, he likes to know where everything comes from and test things out. When I become a teacher he is exactly how I would like my students to be.”

You sound kinda revolted but there is a lot of pride in your tone.”

He does make me proud. I'm not exactly good at expressing these kinds of things but Sungjong isn't one to let me down. He made a mistake bringing Sunggyu here without my consent but he learned from it and he only had Sunggyu best interest in mind, besides, he is mostly an obedient kid but he fights for what he believes.”

Did he fought with your parents often then?” Myungsoo asked raising a brow?

He said he didn't fight with our mom that regularly, but he opened up to dad and then later my dad would talk to her, but whenever she treated Sungjong differently to what he was used, he would feel it was forced and would feel weird about it. After a while, my parents started to fight non stop and he didn't want to add on their problems so he just opened up to Hoya hyung. Then there was the divorce, my father died and my problems, he didn't want to bring the focus on him.”

It makes some sense, when the babies and Jihyun health problems were announced, Moonsoo was never so well behaved because he didn't want to add on my parent's plate. Even when he discovered the truth about the babies he kept to himself when Jihyun asked. This is really selfless.”

Yes, he is like that.” Sungyeol

I just don't understand why your mother wanted you two to be alike in this aspect so much.” Myungsoo said as he scratched his head.

Sungyeol suddenly stiffened a bit. “You know Korean parents always want their kids to perform great, with us it wasn't different it just that I might have set the bar kinda high.” Myungsoo raised a questioning brow. “Too high.” He admitted.

Why?” Myungsoo blinked curiously and Sungyeol shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

I'm smart.” He said a bit tense.

I know~~” Myungsoo opened a smile. “Now tell me why.” The young dad insisted and Sungyeol squinted his eyes.

I'm not the master of interactions between humans, have you implied I'm lying?” Myungsoo squinted his eyes at Sungyeol question so the elder inferred the younger might have had another intention. “I'm not gloating, why do you think I won chess tournaments?”

Ok, I know you're smart, you're always teaching something or giving opinions, but I still don't follow why Sungjong would need to be like you in this aspect.” Myungsoo said and Sungyeol sighed.

If I got a penny every time I wondered about that...” Sungyeol thought about it for a second or two. “I don't have any proof since I didn't read the letters yet, but I didn't demand much from her so maybe, although frustrated, she enjoyed not needing to constantly watch over me, entertain me, or answer my questions since I always tried to do things by myself and she was very career oriented while my father hadn't that many ambitions, he just worked at the bank.” Sungyeol rubbed his chin as he thought about it. “That is actually plausible.”

So you didn't read anything yet? Not even one letter? Myungsoo asked changing the subject.

As I told you Sungjong read me some parts but yes, I hadn't read any yet, but I'm taking pictures in case I want to keep them.”

Hyung, you have to read to know.” The young dad slightly scolded.

I know, I know, I just...” Sungyeol breathed in and out before continuing. “I know it's going to hurt me at some point but I came to the conclusion that it is better to know therefore I will read them. I need to know how she felt and why her marriage with my father didn't work and some other stuff I was mad about.” He ranted. “I don't hate Sunggyu father, I might have for some time, but I also need to know if he was better for her in any aspect.”

Great.” Myungsoo said with a smile and placed his head on Sungyeol lap only to hug the older long legs. “You're being brave.” The younger stayed like that thinking and offering the heat of his body to show Sungyeol he would be there and the elder couldn't help but ask.

What about you?” Myungsoo hummed so Sungyeol decided to elaborate. “ We didn't have time to talk in the past two days so tell me about what happened between you and Woohyun and whatever you know about his biological father.”

Myungsoo just lets out a long sigh. “My father has this detective friend and asked help to track the guy down back when he discovered Woohyun... I was against it because the guy was a huge back then, but my father convinced me to look for him so we can make things as official as it can be.”

Woohyun documents are not official?” Sungyeol asked kind of flabbergasted.

No, they are. Jihyun married me while pregnant so, unless someone claimed to be the father of her children back then, they are presumed mine.” He explained and Sungyeol nodded though he was sure to make a full research on that topic later. “But the laws changed before Woohyun was born and now he has power to chose whose family he wants to belong. If that appeared tomorrow and somehow charmed Woohyun, my son could ask to live with him, and once the DNA test confirmed he was not my son the guy could try to take my boy away from me.”

Ok, I understood, but you're not freaking out as much as you were when you met Woohyun grandma.” Sungyeol pointed.

I'm not.” Myungsoo agreed. “Because I know that guy would want nothing to do with Woohyun.”

And what you're going to do?” Sungyeol asked as he caressed Myungsoo head.

For now? Just avoid them meeting so Woohyun won't discover things in the worst way possible, but as soon as I get rid of my graduation project presentation I will talk to him alone and then I'll tell Woohyun everything.”

When you talk like this it seems so soon.” Sungyeol whispered as he continued running his fingers on Myungsoo hair. “Around a month and a half.”

I just...” Myungsoo hesitated a bit but let go of Sungyeol legs to move and look up to him. “I have a deep thought about what you told me the other day and I agree with it and it is indeed getting hard to pretend nothing is happening, I'm enjoying things with you that I had never enjoyed before and I don't want to stop and eventually Woohyun can catch up and...”

Wait a minute.” Sungyeol stopped his boyfriend's rant then he placed both his hands on Myungsoo shoulders and looked into his eyes as he remembered something. “If the crisis was about Woohyun biological dad, then why in your message you said it was related to Woohyun?”

Myungsoo sighed but explained. “Dad called me late at night to give me the news and Woohyun was up and ended up hearing me on the phone.” Sungyeol blinked confusedly at that if Woohyun heard why the boy was acting normally? Myungsoo could almost read the question forming on Sungyeol head so quickly added. “Thankfully he thought his grandfather was saying he wouldn't come watching perform with Sunggyu so I ended up distracting him saying my dad found me a job in Incheon.”

Wait, what?” Sungyeol blinked.

It wasn't a complete lie.” Myungsoo said softly and grabbed Sungyeol hand only to interlace their fingers. “Well, my dad didn't find me a job in Incheon, but I was working there the past break and my past boss said he could hire me after my graduation. Hoya hyung is being a huge help but I don't think he can pay me to work full time and if I don't have enough money... there are chances of me moving back to Incheon next year.”

No, no, no, you can't move back, it will make things more complicated.” Sungyeol instantly became nervous and squeezed Myungsoo's hand, he absolutely couldn't deal with the possibility of Myungsoo leaving here.

I don't want to too.” Myungsoo assured as he squeezed his love's hand back. “And I'll do my best so I won't.”

Good because I won't let you.” Sungyeol said childishly and with a smile while poking Myungsoo, but that didn't mean he wasn't being serious.

Awn hyung, come here~~~” Myungsoo crawled over the elder body to hug his lover and while Sungyeol giggled away they ended finishing that angst conversation in a way lighter tone for both of them.

-----------------------------------------------------

Myungsoo should've remembered that Hoya had said Sungyeol was a huge help and a great ally when he cared but he didn't take what Sungyeol said seriously, although the taller was very very serious, there was no way he would let Myungsoo move out from Seoul at all.

The taller didn't talk about that again with his lover though but that didn't mean that he hadn't talked to the kids and Hoya for some cooperation either. The kid's role in this was very simple, they only needed not to shake or jump over Sungyeol while cheering whenever Myungsoo scored because he recorded Myungsoo match on Saturday (a great performance, really). Hoya though was helpful in another way, the Webtoon artist liked sports so Sungyeol engaged him in discovering names and e-mail from basketball scouts. Dongwoo also surprised by wanting to help because his brother in law worked for KBS and could ask announcers if they knew someone.

While that operation happened behind Myungsoo's back (Woohyun and Sunggyu swore they would keep a secret, though Woohyun started to beam), the said young dad received an e-mail from his professor apologizing for not meeting him the previous week and saying that they needed to talk on Monday afternoon. So, after his class on Monday, Myungsoo spent some time in the library to review what he already had written and done until now, then wrote down his concerns and questions so he wouldn't forget to ask anything before he left to meet his teacher.

He had to wait for a bit outside her office and it found strange, it seemed that there was a lot of students wanting to talk to her that day. One thing even more strange was a couple of his classmates leaving her office kinda sad or disappointed and that made him feel nervous, he knew those people and knew they had progressed a lot with their respective projects so he started to wonder if she wasn't pleased with their work.

He didn't understand, professor Kim Taehee was so nice, their work should be terrible for her to be displeased, no? No, definitely not, he knew some of these people were really competent from working on assignments together. But if they progressed and they were competent people, why they left her office so disappointed? Myungsoo gulped hard as he had another thought if they were like that what would she say about his work that hadn't progressed that much in the last couple of weeks?

He waited, biting his nails nervously until only he remained in the hallway, but once the last girl before him left the office he couldn't help but pull her to the side.

Wendy, what is happening? Why everyone is leaving her office distressed, sad or disappointed?”

The girl sighed. “I don't know, I honestly don't know.” She rubbed her hands on her forehead for a bit before she elaborated more. “But in my case, she said I had to do some adjustments here and there, do the final touches on the things I have been experimenting with and I was ready to present things. Honestly, I expected something different, I don't think my project is nearly ready.” She sighed a second time. “I'm gonna ask for a second opinion with any professor available now. I hope you have better luck with her, she is behaving out of usual, definitely.”

With that, the girl started walking down the hall to look for another professor and Myungsoo gulped hard. Gosh, what now? He was dreading entering that office but, on the other hand, if he couldn't have her help he wouldn't really know what to do and would continue being stuck because, as far as he knew, only this professor would be able to help him.

After wiping his clammy hands in his jeans he took a deep breath in and finally was able to knock on her office door. “Ssaem?! It's me, Myungsoo!”

Come on in.” She yelled from inside and he finally pushed the door open just to look at her looking down at her table and rubbing her temples. “You can sit down here.” She offered the chair in front of her and Myungsoo couldn't help but think that his classmate was right, she definitely didn't seem normal, where was that friendly professor with a beautiful smile?

Hesitantly, almost afraid, Myungsoo moved inside and slid into the chair in front of her. “I'm sorry about last week, I had a personal problem.” She started as he took her hands out of her temples to look at him with a smile gracing her lips and now that he eyed her better, he noticed she was a bit pale and her smile didn't reach her eyes as it would any other day.

It's ok.” He said, because what else he could say?

So... show me what you have.” She went straight to business and Myungsoo took the written part of his project from his bag and handed to her. Once she grabbed it and started looking at everything, Myungsoo noticed she looked like her patience was running thin and she could snap any time, she also seemed very anxious and maybe sweating.

Ssaem, is everything ok?” He tried to ask softly not to upset her too much because he never saw her like that in four years.

She gulped hard and gripped his project pages harder but didn't lift her eyes to look at him. “Why are you asking me this?”

Because... people seem to leave your office very upset...” Myungsoo replied hesitantly.

She gulped hard again and finally lifted her eyes to look at him dead in the eye. “Let's not lose time talking about the others, let's focus on your project.” Her voice didn't come angry or cold but it made Myungsoo shift uncomfortably in his seat, now definitely was the time to be scolded. “There aren't many different things in your project.”

Well, I've been struggling and kinda stuck but I need your guidance.” He admitted with his shoulders deflated. He then leaned forward and with a hand motion asked her the papers back so he could show her. “There's is this part here, I'm not sure how to give some historical examples...” He opened a particular page and pointed to a particular paragraph. “The text isn't fluid but I think it is because I need to explain more about the concepts... I quoted an author I have never heard before and I'm not sure if it serves my purpose and then I have this part here where...” He stopped when he noticed his professor wasn't really looking at anything he was pointing.

Before he could demand her attention, he noticed she had her eyes closed and seemed to be holding onto the table, she also seemed paler. “Ssaem?” He called with a worried tone and she tried to wipe forehead before answering him.

I'm … I'm sorry.” She stuttered. “I don't think I can help you...” Myungsoo was about to open his mouth, plead and say that only she could help him when she started patting her table in search for her phone. “I don't... feel... good.” Myungsoo immediately got up from his seat and circled the desk to check on her but before he could even get near she grunted and placed one of her hands between her legs then brought up in front of her and Myungsoo could see it clearly. “Noooo~” She said faintly as she started to lose her conscience.

Myungsoo instantly grabbed her shoulders before she could fall and hit her head over the table then screamed at the top of his lungs. “HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP.” A few seconds later a female staff opened the door only to be shocked to see Myungsoo gently leaning her head on his belly. “Call an ambulance, she is bleeding.” He commanded then tried to wake her. “Ssaem! Ssaem!”

Myungsoo kept trying as he heard the other woman talk on the phone but due to his worry he couldn't focus on her words until she directed her words at him.

They say they would take at least half an hour to arrive because apparently there is some traffic but they asked us to...”

She can't wait!” He snapped. “She is pregnant and bleeding, that is not a good thing in any hypothesis, there is a possibility that she loses her baby if we wait too much.” He looked around as he thought for a second but saw keys from a car coming out of her purse. “We'll take her car and drive her to the nearest hospital.” He announced. “Gather her belongings and come with me, we'll call her husband along the way.”

As the woman hangs up the phone and moved to do what she was told, Myungsoo tried to steady his teacher on the chair the best he could because it would be easier to push her down the halls in a sliding chair. And as soon the female staff got the professor belongs in hands, Myungsoo breathed in and out then started pulling her, he couldn't save Woohyun mom, but he could save this pregnant woman and her baby and he would do so.