Permission - Awareness - Anger

Tangled
 
 

Sungyeol closed his book and yawned totally bored, he had nothing to do. That wasn't really the truth, he had lessons to teach, he had Myungsoo to advise, Sunggyu to take care of, Hoya to get rid off, some books to study and prepare for the selective process for the job he wanted, but everything was sort of figured out so now he kind of regretted taking two weeks off from Woollim, because, really, when he didn't have to go to college he was dying out of boredom and Hoya's pseudo funny jokes had almost the same effect. Talking about his cousin, he was already uncomfortable with his hyung presence.

Please go home!” Sungyeol turned to his side and glared at Hoya's back that was currently using his study table to work with the various technological gadgets he brought to attach to his computer.

What did I do?” Hoya turned around slowly to look at his cousin. “I was quietly editing Myungsoo work here and...”

Go, homeeee~!” Sungyeol whined impatiently.

Sungyeol, I'm not leaving until I think you're fine.” Hoya said with a scolding expression.

But I AM fine, how many times do I have to tell you that?”

No, you aren't.” Hoya said with conviction. “And I know this because I know you well.”

Urghh, you're the one that is not fine.” Sungyeol retorted. “You threw all my meds down the rail and you disappeared with the kit I had in my car, now if Sunggyu as much as scratch himself I won't have a damn band-aid to take care of him quickly.” He furthered complained.

I'll give you your band-aids.” Hoya simply blinked at him. “But I 'won't leave anything around you that can cause an overdose.”

I won't take pills again.” Sungyeol retorted annoyed.

And that's why mom dropped by yesterday to take away your kitchen knives.” Hoya said as he returned his attention to the laptop. “And your razor. And your scissors, Sunggyu's too.”

What?” Sungyeol gasped and promptly ran away to check his kitchen cabinets and drawers, and as Hoya said, his kitchen knives were nowhere to be found, a quick stop on the bathroom and his razor wasn’t there either. “I won't even complain about the razor because I use that like once a week and I can buy another one, but my kitchen knives? Really? That's part of my inheritance!” Sungyeol complained as he re-entered his room.

They are dangerous things.” Hoya didn't move his head.

That I use to make food to feed my brother.” Sungyeol said exasperatedly then pinched the bridge of his nose to try to alleviate stress then took a deep breath to talk again. “Is that why you're not letting me get near my kitchen?”

Yes.” Hoya answered unabashedly.

Lee Howon, you need to disappear from my sight right about now.”

Not happening.” Hoya said and Sungyeol could do nothing but to stomp his feet back to his bed and let his body fall there ungracefully. He knew his cousin just wanted his safety, because, as much as he didn't like to talk about, he knew he added on Hoya own traumas when he took a bottle of sleeping pills. “Come on, aside keeping an eye on you, we are helping each other so this is like our teenage years all over again.” Hoya turned with a smile on his face only to see Sungyeol cover his head with a pillow.

No, this isn't, this is my own space that you invading, and you never slept days in a row in my bed before, so this is nothing like our teenage years.”

But you slept on mine, that's the same thing.” Hoya raised a brow.

Hyung, you practically kicked me out of my room…”
Hoya interrupted. “I did not!

You did because you know I won't ever share a bed with you so I'm having Sungjong bed in Sunggyu room.” Sungyeol complained as he took the pillow out of his head to glare at his cousin. “And you're ruling my house too, I kept to myself back then.”

Ok, I'll sleep in Sunggyu room tonight if that will make you feel better.” Hoya agreed, totally missing Sungyeol point. “But the knives are not coming back until I see you can overcome this.”

You're taking away the only thing I can use to not think about my problems!” Sungyeol whined.

I thought you said that books were your best friends since ever and, with them, you could feel like you are in another place in other people's shoes” Hoya squinted his eyes at him.

Yeah, if I'm reading a story, but I already read everything that I have here and I have been preparing for this selective process for years so there is no need to keep reading serious books.” Sungyeol said and to further demonstrate his annoyance he stretched his leg and pushed his book with his feet until it fell from his bed. “I can’t even concentrate with you here.” He mumbled to himself soon after.

Hoya gasped. “You're kicking your book, something is definitely wrong with you, maybe you're sick too. There is no way I'm leaving this apartment now.”

Sungyeol groaned and pulled himself up to sit on his bed and threatened to bring in higher authorities. “If you're not leaving, I'm gonna call your mother.”

Hoya smirked. “Oh Sungyeol, but she was the one that said I should stay here to keep an eye on you since my presence is the less invasive one.”

I'll call uncle Hajin then.”

Go on.” Hoya dared and his smirk widened so Sungyeol just knew his uncle supported this crazy idea too.

You know what? I'll talk to Dongwoo hyung.” Sungyeol tried to threaten for the last time but this time Hoya just laughed as if had won the argument.

Ok, Hoya only reported to these 3 people so he might have won this argument, for now, because Sungyeol wouldn't lose this war with his cousin. Hoya could be worried and check up on him all he wanted but he would not simply move in and rule his apartment. No, something had to make him move back to his place because Sungyeol was also tired of stumbling in so many wires, not to mention his energy bill was gonna triplicate this month, he just knew.

Begrudgingly, Sungyeol got up and started getting ready to leave his apartment, it was near the time to pick up Sunggyu in school and he could use some minutes to convince Dongwoo to help him in his quest to make Hoya leave.

I'm going to pick up Sunggyu.” He announced and Hoya turned his attention back to him.

OK, what kind of sandwich you want for dinner?”

Forget it, I'll take Sunggyu out to eat in a new place.” He said as he grabbed his wallet phone and car keys while Hoya nodded and he was almost looking at his computer again when Sungyeol something that got under his skin. “And I'll take Dongwoo hyung out too.” He said then promptly ran out of his apartment.

Wait! Sungyeol, wait!” Hoya ran behind him as soon as he registered what the younger said, but unfortunately for him, Sungyeol got more stamina since he met Myungsoo and his legs were bigger so he had some advantage. “Where you'll go? I can meet you there!!!” He said but only to see there wasn't anyone on the hall anymore, the elevator didn't arrive that fast so Sungyeol was probably jumping stairs and making the distance bigger between them.

Since he had no chance he could only sigh and go back inside to wait for his cousin to go come back home with the little Kim, but he knew that Sungyeol was starting a war and he wouldn't go down on this one when there were lives at risk of losing someone else from their family.
__________________________________________________

Please hyung, please.” Sungyeol begged. “He will drive me insane and fat.”

Dongwoo sighed. “Sungyeol, I already told you that Hoya won't listen to me.” He then gave Sungyeol a double take. “You're trying to behave in a normal way but I have a hunch that this is not what you're like inside and since Hoya knows you and actually can help you better I'll let him do what he wants.”

Dongwoo hyung, that is not happening again, there are two people that depend on me, Myungsoo depends on me professionally too. If I was so sad that I wanted to kill myself I just needed to make my car fall down from a bridge.” He said in frustration but as soon as he saw Dongwoo eyes popping up he tried to assure the elder. “I just meant that if I wanted it would already have happened, but no, because I don't want to, because there is a way out of this situation and I am just playing the game before everything falls into place.”

Dongwoo sighed and passed him to call Sunggyu. “Sunggyu, your brother is here, pick up your things!” The teacher called inside the classroom and then turned to Sungyeol. “Do you promise you won't do anything?” The younger quickly nodded. “Are you sure I can trust you on that? How do I know you're not lying?”

With my past I know I have less credibility, but I promised my mom I would take care of the boys and raise Sunggyu and that is my motivation since she died, so, please! Before Hoya hyung drives me insane and I end up in a madhouse, please ask him to come home.” He waited two seconds while Dongwoo thought then decided to appeal for his hyung belly. “And have dinner with me and Sunggyu too.”

Ok, yes, to the dinner invitation because I'm dying of hunger.” Dongwoo agreed then his shoulders dropped as Sunggyu walked closer with Woohyun in toll. “But he is not listening.” A look at the kids later and remembering how they relentlessly annoyed him and the principal, Dongwoo came up with a plan. “Though I think I just developed a plan.”

Yes, great! We can talk more about that at the restaurant that opened two blocks from here, I'll wait for you there.” Sungyeol smiled pleased then turned to greet the kids. “Hey Sunggyu, hey Woohyun, how your day was?”

Sunggyu promptly hugged and replied. “Awesome.”

As soon as Sunggyu let go of his brother Woohyun hugged Sungyeol too, which kinda surprised the elder. He knew Woohyun was a big hugger (Myungsoo influence for sure) and he had received the boy hugs before, but he thought that in the current situation he wouldn't be receiving hugs any longer. “Daddy said that my punishment ends this Friday and everything will return to normal.” Woohyun happily announced with a bright smile.

Did he say that?” Both of the adults managed to ask at the same time.

Yes, he promised, If I behave and follow new rules.” Woohyun added with a sheepish smile as he let go from the taller.

That's... nice, Woohyun I'm so happy for you.” Sungyeol made sure to smile and ruffle Woohyun hair even though he was kinda confused about what that really meant.

Hyung, our plan worked, we will be able to play.” Sunggyu beamed as he clapped his hands in utter happiness.

Plan?” Sungyeol muttered but then decided to let it go, he didn't want to know, he definitely didn't want to know, calling Myungsoo's mother had been already enough. “Of course you will, I mean, if Myungsoo let Woohyun come to play with us we will gladly take care of him right?” Sungyeol said as he looked at his brother.

Yes.” Sunggyu said in a confident tone and raised his fists in a fighting manner.

And you'll take care of your hyung if your dad lets him come over, right Woohyun?” Dongwoo asked right after.

Of course.” The other boy said, shocked that people were really asking him that, before looking at Sungyeol. “Hyung, I'm sorry Daddy still didn't apologize for making you cry but he will as soon as I convince him and then you'll be able to come over, but you'll have to apologize too ok?”

Apologize for what? Breaking his heart? Sure Sungyeol could apologize for that a gazillion of times but he didn't think Myungsoo would forgive him that soon. “Woohyun, just don't push your dad buttons, he is very stressed nowadays.” Sungyeol decided to advise. “You might get grounded again and no one wants that, right?”

We just have to make a better plan.” Woohyun said while thinking to himself.

Sungyeol sighed. “They'll keep insisting right?” He asked the pink haired teacher.

They will rule the world by relentless using aegyo until they get what they want, I told you that before.” Dongwoo whispered back as Woohyun looked at Sunggyu with the excitement of a new idea.

Next time we just need to call grandpa and grandma right away.”

No, Woohyun, if you want to call your grandparents you call them directly or you do that through Moonsoo, Sunggyu will not call your grandma again, I had to call to apologize about that later and she was not happy.”

You have to wait until grandma finishes eating.” Woohyun instructed but it was not like that explained anything to any other of the three people there, well maybe Sunggyu, but that was stretching things a little.

Talk about eating, we have to get going if we want to get a good table. Sunggyu, do you have your bag?” The boy turned around and showed the bag on his back to his brother. “Say your goodbyes.” Sungyeol decided to urge the kid.

Bye Woohyunnie, see you tomorrow, hang on ok?” Sunggyu said and tried to hug his friend but the boy surprised everyone by taking a step back.

Wait, you can't go yet, I have something for Sungyeol hyung.”

For me?” Sungyeol asked surprised.

Yes, I have a letter for you.” The boy said and then ran to his backpack to find it while Sungyeol and Dongwoo exchanged a nervous look, would be a letter from Myungsoo? “Here.” Woohyun tried to hand the letter to the tallest hyung before the adults registered him back.

Sungyeol snapped back to reality and quickly picked the letter, hoping it would be Myungsoo's, but only got disappointed when he didn't recognize the handwriting, it wasn't his boyfriend pretty handwriting. As the three watched him with anticipation, Sungyeol decided to not read the content of the letter out loud and that was actually a good thing.

Dear Sungyeol, it's Myungsoo's parents

First of all, thank you for taking care of your mother letters. Their condition didn't seem to be changed but that also told us that you probably haven't touched them, so you probably changed your mind and didn't want to read them. If you change your mind again you can ask Moonsoo to get them for you ok? Yes, Moonsoo, because we became aware of what is happening between you and Myungsoo lately.

Secondly, how could you? We know you have a lot in common with your mother and you might not admit it - because, again, you didn't read the letters – but we certainly didn't expect you to make the same mistakes as she did. We like you, and when Sonmi looks at you and your brothers she is reminded of the good times they spent together; but as much as we can see that at some point you had good intentions – and we are sad about the outcome - we have to tell you that we stand by our son until he changes his mind. (Please tell me you're gonna be smarter than your mom, own your mistakes and fix this right?)

Thirdly, we talked to Myungsoo about the kids because Sunggyu seemed very worried over the phone and Woohyun is extremely upset. He said he would think about a way so that the boys can continue their friendship without your break up affecting them, and things will probably change a lot, but they can probably see each other outside school from Friday on.
Since Woohyun is very upset, we thought that it would be nice to take him on a little trip to Jeju this weekend, but to make this trip even better we would like to invite Sunggyu (we even booked a ticket for him already). All his expenses will be on us and you don't have to be worried about anything, so we ask you to put your issues with Myungsoo on the side and kindly consider our invitation.

Since it was a last minute arrangement we hope that you can give us an answer soon. You can do that by calling Bumsoo directly in this number: XXXX-XXXXX or sending a message to the number you already have (please don't call without a message before, Sonmi doesn't have a fixed time for working).

We wish we could tell you that we will always treat all your family members with the same love we (Sonmi) once showed your mother, but unfortunately, due to the great pain you are inflicting our son, we can't extend that to you for now. Even so, know that you'll be still treated with respect and that your brother will be treated as greatly as Woohyun is.

Best regards from now on, Bummi.”


“Who is it from?”Dongwoo tried to take a peak on the letter but Sungyeol snatched from his view before answering.

Myungsoo's parents.”

And what did they say?” Sunggyu asked his brother then asked his friend curiously because Woohyun hadn't said anything about a letter to him before, but the boy didn't know the content of the letter so he just looked at Sungyeol in anticipation.

You were invited to go to Jeju with Woohyun.”

KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!” Woohyun screamed happily and started jumping around.

Wooooow, Jeju.” Sunggyu took a second to understand before joining hands with Woohyun and doing the same. “Kyaaaaah, we are going to Jeju! We are going to Jeju, we are going to...”
“Have you forgotten that I need to give permission?” Sungyeol side glared his brother and only when the boy seemed to get that there was nothing guaranteed. “Woohyun, does your father knows about this?” Sungyeol decided to ask the youngest.

Please, hyung, let me go to Jeju.” Sunggyu latched on his brother to ask.

Yes, he knows.” Woohyun promptly nodded.

And he is fine with Sunggyu tagging along?” Dongwoo asked this time. “Because your father really doesn't want anything to do with Sungyeol at this point.” As the tallest sighed Woohyun shrugged.

But he said everything will go back to normal soon.” Woohyun argued.

I will have to verify this letter.” Sungyeol decided.

But it's true!” Woohyun said. “I didn't even open.” The boy pointed and Sungyeol knew that was the truth, even so, he needed to know if Myungsoo was fine with it and, if so, discuss any details.

Come on hyung, pleeeeeeease!” Sunggyu begged again and Sungyeol had enough.
“Let's have dinner first then we can discuss this, right Sunggyu?” Sungyeol said as he pulled Sunggyu slightly away. “Say your goodbyes, we are eating out and need to get a good table to wait for Dongwoo hyung.”

Bye Woohyunnie, I'll convince him.” Sunggyu assured as if he was just assigned a mission.

Bye.” Woohyun waved and stood beside Dongwoo then looked up to his teacher. “Hyung, do you know of anything that can help daddy and Sungyeol hyung to make up soon?”

Dongwoo thought briefly about that question, not only he didn’t have an answer nor he thought he could exactly what Woohyun mean by 'soon', and though he could help a little by making Hoya come home, he decided to buy the two ex-lovers sometime to solve things between themselves.

I don't really know Woohyun, but why don't you make your performance really good for the festival, and when you and Sunggyu touch their hearts you ask them to consider being friends again? I'm sure they won't say no by then.”

The boy put two of his fingers on his chin and scratched as he thought, that wasn't a bad idea at all, tomorrow he needed to talk to Sunggyu, maybe she should change their song all over again.
________________________________________________

Can you give me my room back for five minutes? I need to make a phone call.” Sungyeol said as soon as he arrived at his apartment and on his bedroom.

Who are you calling?” Hoya asked as he turned to look at Sungyeol that had an expression of disbelief, would Hoya be that prying? “Ok, ok, I'm going, sheesh.” He got up and moved out of Sungyeol room only to bump with Sunggyu outside. “Hey Gyu, what are you doing?”

Is Sungyeol hyung calling anyone?” The boy made a question of his own.

Yeah, he is just about..” Hoya was halfway answering when Sunggyu pushed past him and glued his ear on the door.

What are you doing?” The webtoon artist raised a brow.

Sungyeol hyung will call grandma and grandpa then he will decide if I can go to Jeju.” Sunggyu briefly explained and was about to glue his ear back on the door when Hoya asked another question.

Jeju?” As Sunggyu turned around again with laser beams in place of his tiny eyes, Hoya decided it was best if he just tried to do the same as Sungyeol, maybe he could understand something.

While they both had this interaction outside, Sungyeol sat on his bed and dialed the number on the letter to talk to Myungsoo father, which he had good conversations before and that maybe didn't want him dead like Myungsoo's mother could, mothers had those protective instincts, every mother but his.

He waited a couple of seconds until the call connected.

Hello?” The older man on the other side said and Sungyeol hesitated, did he really wanted to talk to his ex-lover-current-student parents? “Hello?” The guy said again and Sungyeol decided to go for it, this was about Sunggyu and he promised he would do the best for him right? That included to man up sometimes.

Hi, it's Sungyeol.” With that, the elder on the other side stayed silent so Sungyeol tried to add something else to get the guy talking. “I'm sorry to call but... Woohyun handed me a letter today so I called to check if you really did send it.”

We sent you one. We didn't have your phone number but if we were to ask Sungjong for it then Moonsoo would know and if Moonsoo knows Myungsoo knows.” The elder replied awkwardly.

So Myungsoo doesn't know about it this?” Sungyeol asked slowly.

About the letter? No.”

Then about your invitation... I will refuse.”

Why? Sungyeol, this is about the kids, not you two.” Bumsoo said over the phone.

I know but Myungsoo and I had trouble before for the exact same thing so I can't send Sunggyu without his knowledge, I don't know exactly what is he thinking so he can become more upset.” Sungyeol reasoned and Bumsoo almost snorted.

At least you know he is upset.” Bumsoo said sarcastically.

It's kinda obvious by the way he seems tortured every time he sees me.” Sungyeol retorted as he closed his eyes and dreaded the turn this conversation was taking. “I'm trying to give him some space so when we meet for advising it is more bearable. I don't want to upset him any other way, he has to stay focused.”

I don't think that things will become bearable, not for him.” Bumsoo disagreed. “Because at this very moment he is in a state that he pretends but he can't easily compartmentalize, he is very very hurt and... Sungyeol what did exactly happen? You and Myungsoo were doing so well...” The elder sighed.

Sungyeol stayed in silence for a moment before answering the question vaguely. “As I told you before, things between me and your son are not equations of two variables only, and life poked his bubble.”

I know, I know. And I also know you're not good with emotions - we all know that and you told me yourself - but I told you you'd need to get better at that if wanted to stay in a relationship with Myungsoo.”

What do you mean?” Sungyeol raised a brow and his heart start to beat weirdly faster, there was something there, something that he didn't know about.

I mean that, in this situation, you're hitting him with reality nonstop but apparently you didn't even develop your emotions enough to make him think you two build something to withstand the bubble pop.” Bumsoo said referring to the talk they had before. “Myungsoo thinks there's nothing there.”

Wait? What?” Sungyeol got up distressed. “No, I explained to him this was a needed sacrifice, this is difficult for me too.” He didn't want to believe that there was more into Myungsoo anger than he knew.

It doesn't matter, we shouldn't be talking about this, because it is something between you two and something that you should discover and fix on your own. We should be talking about the kids instead, if I get Myungsoo permission will you let us take care of Sunggyu for the weekend?” Bumsoo promptly changed the subject.

Yes, but wait...” Sungyeol said in desperation.

Ok, then, but you need to give your written permission so we can take Sunggyu out of school and another one to be able to take him on the plane, the flight is later at night but to not tire them too much we are going to pick them up in school early. Bye, I'll talk to you later, when I can prove Myungsoo agreed to that.”

Bumsoo disconnected the call and Sungyeol stood there almost hyperventilating until Sunggyu opened the door and came running, followed by Hoya.

Hyung, will you give me permission to go to Jeju?” The boy asked, he hadn't noticed Sungyeol was also becoming pale.

If-if Myungsoo father convinces him...” He stuttered and Sunggyu was about to celebrate the news when Hoya noticed something wasn’t right.

Sungyeol, what happened?” Hoya asked furrowing his brows.

It's Myungsoo.” Sungyeol said with eyes starting to water.

Is Myungsoo hyung fine?” Sunggyu asked worriedly now.

He is not, he is not, there is something more.” Sungyeol said as Hoya tried to approach and make him sit down on the bed again. “There is... his father told me... but he didn't explain... ”

Sungyeol calm down a bit so we can understand you.” Hoya tried to coax and Sungyeol finally looked at him as Sunggyu tried to pat his brother back.

Our break up is not the only reason Myungsoo is so angry at me, there is something more.” A tear escaped the taller eyes.

I knew it.” Hoya sighed. “Sungyeol, you say that breaking up was a sacrifice but Myungsoo was against it, besides his anger was disproportionate so of course there is something else. I told you must have hurt him way more than you think you did. Remember that even when you try hard not to, sometimes you hurt people unknowingly.”

What did I do then?” Sungyeol asked lost.

I can't help you with that buddy, you have to ask yourself because only the two of you know what really happened when you talked. And if you don't find an answer yourself, you need to talk to him again.” Hoya said extremely patiently only for Sungyeol burst into tears, oh he could predict the night would be very, very long.
_____________________________________________________

Dongwoo yawned as he looked at Woohyun quietly taking a nap on his desk. The boy had been the first kid to arrive today - just after him - and since other kids would still take at least half an hour to arrive, he decided to take a nap over his desk.

Woohyun hadn't talked about much about his state, the boy was so sleepy that he was barely functioning but if Dongwoo thought Woohyun seemed tired, his father seemed to be in a worst state than him. The father hadn't spoken much about his state aside saying he pulled an all night, and ok, Dongwoo could believe that because... light dark circles like those had appeared before, but what left the pink-haired teacher kinda speechless was the paper envelope Myungsoo left with him to hand Sungyeol as soon as they saw each other. He was dying out of curiosity but opening it was a bad thing, what to do? What to do?

At some point, the other kids started arriving and making some noise that left Dongwoo busy enough but that still left the sleeping boy unperturbed until Sunggyu arrived with a zombie version of Sungyeol following him.

Hi Sunggyu, good morning.”

Good morning. Hyung, did Woohyunnie already arrived?”

He is sleeping over there.” Dongwoo pointed to a corner and as Sunggyu lifted a confused brow. “Class will start soon, why don't you go wake him up while I talk with your brother?” Dongwoo encouraged and as Sunggyu moved to wake his friend – in a very caring way – he finally was able to look at Sungyeol and get shocked. If Myungsoo was a mess Sungyeol was worse, because his whole face was puffed and his big eyes had become quite tiny with all those puffiness.

What?” Sungyeol asked tiredly.

What happened? You were not like this yesterday.” Dongwoo asked worriedly.

Sungyeol sighed. “I called Myungsoo father to ask about the trip they invited Sunggyu but...” Sungyeol took a deep breath to control his emotions and be able to talk. “He said Myungsoo hates me not only because of the breakup, then Hoya hyung said I must have hurt him in another way without knowing because that's something I do often but I thought and thought all night and I still don't have a clue.” Sungyeol ended up sighing sadly.

Sungyeol, why don't you try to think without this whole logic way of thinking that you have and think like him, you know him the best of us all no? At least you should, no?” Sungyeol gritted his teeth and closed his eyes when Dongwoo said that because hearing that hurt him, that wasn't an easy thing to do for him. “What a guy in his situation would think about the conversation?” Dongwoo furthered suggested but when he noticed that what he was saying was somehow hurting the other he tried another thing. “Myungsoo left something with me for you.”

What?” Sungyeol fully opened his eyes and that alone seemed to have brightened him up a bit.

An envelope, I'm dying out of curiosity.” Dongwoo moved to get the envelope in his desk and as soon as he picked up Sungyeol snatched from his hands and opened only to see some printed paper come out of it.

That's his project.” Sungyeol said with disappointment (and Dongwoo was sort of disappointed too) then leafed through it. “It seems he made the changes I told him to...” He stretched his lips in a smile before adding something else. “At least this shows that, despite giving me some attitude, he is determined to finish this.” He turned the envelope with the opening facing down and was ready to push Myungsoo project inside when something else fell from it.

Woah, there is a note.” Dongwoo said as he picked up the said note from the ground and gave to Sungyeol to read, but made sure to peek at it.

I've changed everything that you asked me to, but I decided to do the bibliography at the end of the process (that's why I didn't print that part), I hope you can take a look at it before we meet, I'll drop by your office around 2 PM so you can give me new directions.”
Kim Myungsoo.”

How disappointing.” Dongwoo huffed and crossed his arms and only when Sungyeol was about to put everything on the envelope again, he saw there was something written on the other side.

I know and it's fine with me but they'll come to pick their bags at 4 PM and pick him up at school later, so everything has to be ready by then.”

He read and his eyes this time grew big in surprise (though they were just about his usual size now). He looked at the two boys and Woohyun was sleepily and sadly looking at him while Sunggyu seemed to be patting his friend but it was not like he was in a great mood either because he didn’t pack anything this morning so he wouldn’t probably go to Jeju.

Sunggyu, you're going.” He said aloud and the two kids perked up as Sungyeol walked towards their desk. “You're going to Jeju, but we didn't pack anything yet and I need to make a list of what you want to take so I can pack for you and...” He rambled then turned around. “Dongwoo hyung, do you have a paper? I have to tell the school Sunggyu has permission to leave with Woohyun grandparents.”

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!” The boys instantly raised from their spots, with Woohyun finally waking up for good, to jump around in happiness.

Sunggyu concentration!” Sungyeol clapped his hands a few times to get his attention. “ Your class is about to start and we have to make a list... Dongwoo hyung, a papeeeeeer.” He demanded.
_____________________________________________________
Sungyeol somehow regretted giving two days of the deadline for Myungsoo to fix a few things on his project because he felt that not receiving any message from Bumsoo, only to receive a handwriting message from Myungsoo this morning, was an equivalent of a payback. But if Myungsoo handed his project a few hours earlier, he wouldn't fail the challenge to hand Sunggyu packed bag as well.

He returned home, much for Hoya surprise, then started packing right away. He didn't even want to know if he was putting too many clothes for a weekend trip or too many toys. He didn't find the blue jacket Sunggyu asked in his list but Sungyeol put the gray one, the boy had to be satisfied with that because he was done packing.

He knocked on Myungsoo's door to leave the bag with him but the younger didn't answer and Sungyeol wondered if he was home or not. Hoya offered himself to try to hand in later because he wanted to talk to the younger about the webtoon (and that was killing two birds with the same stone) but Sungyeol decided against it. By the note he received, he was sure Myungsoo would come to see him in the office so he could hand Sunggyu's bag himself.

Sungyeol had carried a lot of things in his life, but it was a bit challenging walking with a mini duffel bag and a pile of books - yes, a pile of books, because he had made some research and he thought Myungsoo definitely needed to read them to continue with his project – and people looked at him funnily until he arrived at his adviser officer and died out of boredom.

Aside students handing in essays, there was nothing left for Sungyeol to do - maybe be judged by the blue duffel bag full of Telemonster stickers whenever a student entered the office and that was it. He kept replaying the conversation he had with Myungsoo's father, and then the conversations he had with Myungsoo himself, but still, he couldn't understand what he had done wrong and he felt sadder and sadder about it, though he could at least say he was past the point of crying.

At some point, he lost track of time, and hunger came and gone, until, punctually Myungsoo opened the door at 2 o’clock.

Hey.” He called as he poked his head inside and observed Sungyeol awkwardly come to his senses. “ I knocked twice…”

Oh no, come on in! Sorry, I was just... I was just...” Sungyeol stuttered and motioned at the chair across him as Myungsoo held a smile and came inside.

Did you had the chance to take a look at my project?” He asked once he sat and Sungyeol let out a long sigh. “Is there anything wrong with it?” Myungsoo briefly panicked until Sungyeol pulled the envelope and took it out the said project to review with him. “I did exactly what you told me.” he tried to defend himself.

Yeah, I know.” Sungyeol nodded and passed some pages, making some suspense that Myungsoo didn't like. “Nice move this morning, this beside you is Sunggyu bag, the permission to take him on a plane is inside.”

Myungsoo pulled the bag to his lap and shrugged. “I thought you could read during the morning since you say you do absolutely nothing around here.” He tried to provoke.

Sungyeol raised his tired eyes to look at him, holding himself to not to give in and start a fight with the younger. “You could have pushed underneath my door if you didn't want to see me.” He said with a hurt undertone.

Wow, now I have a choice.” Myungsoo faked some amazement by using a huge amount of sarcasm then asked dryly. “And what else can I do to not see you?”

Let's not be like that, please.” The elder pleaded once he noticed Myungsoo was decided to annoy him. “If we meet face to face it's easier to explain things.”

Then I don't have a choice.” Myungsoo said enunciating every word but avoiding.

Why are you giving me attitude again?” Sungyeol asked. “I get that you're angry, I understand that, but I'm here to help you.”

You understand nothing.” Myungsoo turned his gaze back glaring. “ You understand nothing.” He repeated bitterly.

Then explain to me.” Sungyeol begged.

That's inappropriate behavior for you and I.”

With Myungsoo answer, Sungyeol sighed and slumped his shoulders. He stood quietly for a minute while the younger looked at him in a challenging manner until he decided to make a proposal.

Look, time in your case is crucial, every second counts so why don't you drop the attitude at least when we meet here so we can get down to business sooner? Do you think you can do that?”

That's fair.” Myungsoo ended up saying after a few thinking seconds. “Shouldn't we be proceeding then?” He added with some sarcasm.

Right.” Sungyeol uncomfortably agreed then gulped hard before grabbing a pen. “You managed to finish what I told you in two days so, for the weekend I have a new challenge for you and this time you'll probably feel like we are going somewhere.”

Really?” Myungsoo asked half in suspicion half in eagerness and Sungyeol nodded.

For the Introduction: this is not gonna work so we have to erase everything from...”

Everything?” Myungsoo asked in disbelief while interrupting the taller. “But that's three pages! And this is not moving on, this is going backwards.” He complained.

Look, I understood what you tried to say in this part because you sort of explained to me your project before, but this is bad structured so other people won't understand. You don't even talk about the methodology, so I recommend to take this out of your working file right now, you can adjust this when we make progress with the content of your project and then put back. Besides, introductions can be done at the end of the process anyway so don't be worried about that yet.” Sungyeol tried to say in a business-like manner but, by Myungsoo face, he was not pleased with that.

Sungyeol cleared his throat before proceeding.“Talking about methodology, I've made some research on the past two days and I think what fits what you’re trying to do the most is this one.” He turned to the pile of books he brought to pass Myungsoo a book. “When I was beginning to write my first papers this book helped me a lot so I want you to read it too…” Myungsoo begrudgingly grabbed the book. “ Don't worry, this is very well explained in less than twenty pages - I’ve marked for you - read now because we will adjust your project according to it and it would be nice for you to bring some quotes from that book into your text.”

Ok.” The younger agreed.

About citations, mentions, or anything from that kind: you’re using two different systems.” Sungyeol moved a few pages in Myungsoo direction and pointed to a lot of things circled in red. “You have to choose one and unify that.”

You said we would be moving on.” Myungsoo complained again.

We are moving on.” Sungyeol said with a tone that said ‘it is obvious’. “I prefer that you unify everything in this style.” He drew many arrows in the text. “If the quote is bigger than three lines you hit enter before and after then bring the margin 3 cm inside and that should be more or less here.” He pointed to the text. “That will make your text grow bigger.”

Humm.” Myungsoo conceded.

Also, you used some foreign technical terms at some point, even if it’s common words you use in your field, it would be nice if their context and meaning inside your work would be explained. You can put all that as you did on page nine. That also grows your text by a bit.”

Myungsoo sighed but nodded, if his text grew it was a good thing, right?

Now, back to the methodology, once you read the chapter I marked and understand it, you can start making adaptations on your text, there is a lot you can do already with that.”

Ok, for Monday then?” Myungsoo asked as he prepared to get up with Sunggyu bag and the book Sungyeol gave me.

Yes, Monday, unless you want to talk before. If so, you can message me and we can figure out…”

Monday.” Myungsoo said dryly and in a definitive tone, which cut whatever hope Sungyeol might have of meeting him beforehand.

Ok, but sit back down, we aren't done.” The taller said and Myungsoo made a surprised expression. “Your first chapter lacks a few things, and to your luck, I've edited a lot of random books so a few that can help you came in mind, here they are.” Sungyeol pushed the pile of books near him towards Myungsoo.

Do you want me to read everything before the weekend is over? That's insane and impossible!” Myungsoo complained once he measured the pile of books. “I have a match tomorrow!”

You said I could go hard on you.” Sungyeol said faintly but loud enough for Myungsoo to hear.

Yes, but in a realistic way, I can't read that amount of pages in two days when I have a match and....” He lowered his tone. “I have work too.”

Myungsoo, I wouldn't ask something that even I can't do. Though if you managed to read everything it would be helpful because it would inspire you to come out of your block.” Sungyeol said in an apologetic way that made the younger snort. “Also, you don't have to read everything, just the chapters I've marked and then we can discuss what you can and want to apply to your project as you finish reading them. By the way, you still have my copy of Twyman, so if you manage to read him and another one of those then we can start fixing your first chapter next Monday already.”

That guy has nothing to do with what I want to do, nor with what I study.” Myungsoo retorted though he tried to get the pile of books in front of him.

Of course he has, he talks about types of speeches and that brings in inter-textuality, Inter- and trans-disciplinarity, and that will make your project have a complexity that might not have been expected from you, this will be seen in a positive way and you’ll probably earn some extra points with it because it will make your project rich, and that will open some academical doors for you if you want to take that route later. ”

What if I don’t understand?” Myungsoo bit his lip unsure, he didn’t want to read that guy and his theories, he wanted to do a practical thing because he didn’t have much time, besides he didn’t even have any guarantee that he would be able to understand things from another area. Still, he wanted to do all in his power for his project to have enough quality and relevance for him to at least pass.

Sungyeol blinked. “You will, I have no doubt, and if you don’t, I will explain to you.”

Now Myungsoo felt tempted to agree, he only had one more issue. “But reading all that will take a lot of time, time that I don’t have…”

Myungsoo, remember the questions I asked you to answer? I've set a schedule based on it and I even took into consideration that you are a single father and that you might have troubles to understand or need some more time to read. It is a tight schedule? It is, but if we follow this chronogram you can finish this before the deadline, set up your presentation and then you can focus on any other things of your life properly. What I am suggesting reading won’t hinder you in any way, I promise. I just ask you to trust me and keep it up and I guarantee your project will have the quality that you aim for.”

Now that caught the younger by surprise because ending before the deadline meant free time - maybe if he put enough effort he could even have enough time to study with Woohyun for the boy tests as well - but then he noticed that finishing things before deadline meant he wouldn’t see Sungyeol often anymore for anything and in his feelings state that also meant Sungyeol desperately wanted to stay away of him because he was really not interested anymore. That somehow made some sense in Myungsoo head and made his blood boil.

You’re eager to get rid of me right?”

I wouldn’t say that.” Sungyeol immediately denied once he noticed the anger in Myungsoo tone. “ But yes, I wish to come out of this situation because it is uncomfortable for you and me.”

Just man up and tell me to my face that you were just pretending and that you can’t wait to get rid of me.” Myungsoo demanded with impatience.

Albeit hurt Sungyeol hardened his expression. “I will ignore your attitude and how inappropriate talking about this, here, is and make something clear: I might not be very good in the art of human interaction but you’re clearly imagining things now.”

How can I be imagining things when…” Myungsoo hissed and got up to try to scare Sungyeol with his height, body, and posture but Sungyeol wasn’t one to coward with that, not with Myungsoo, because he knew despite the anger the younger was showing, he was not in real danger.

Sungyeol got up as well, placed both his hands on the ground to look at the younger eye to eye. “Myungsoo, you made clear that you’re hurt, I know that. I tried to explain things to you but the anger I expected to come is coming worse than I thought and this tells me I did something else that I’m currently not aware of. And I’m wrecking my brain to try to understand so I can at least apologize, but you seem to have the wrong idea about me and this is where I will stop just up to you and draw a line.”

Myungsoo snorted and was ready to retort but that got Sungyeol triggered and he decided Myungsoo needed to hear a thing or two. “I could have said no to this, but instead I chose to take the risk in order to help you. Sure, we are not taking the higher risks as you wanted - you know my limitations, dude, I’m not as good in keeping secrets - but this is still a risk for both of us, one that I was willing to take despite knowing what would happen and because I made your priorities my priorities.”

Yeah ok.” Myungsoo said with sarcasm then avoided his ex-lover-current-adviser eyes and Sungyeol sighed to try to calm himself then continued tiredly.

I don’t know from where you got the idea that I want to get rid of you but this isn’t true. If anything it’s the opposite and I’m staying true to what I told you that day in Incheon.” The taller said already panting a bit. “I don’t need to come up with schedules, I don’t need to suggest you readings, I don’t need to try to learn about photography to better guide you, I don’t need to worry about your particularities or even the quality of your project, but guess why I care about all of that?”

Myungsoo was about to open up his mouth but Sungyeol could just predict what the younger was gonna to say so he quickly interrupted.

Building up up my curriculum is not the correct answer, it is a side effect, so guess why.” The taller demanded and this time the younger remained in silence for long minutes.

Sungyeol waited for long minutes for an answer but that only made the silence become extremely uncomfortable for them because not only Myungsoo couldn’t believe in the answer, he also couldn’t get his legs to work for him and bring him out of that tiny and suffocating room while Sungyeol kept demanding for an answer with his eyes while trying to calm his breathing.

The heavy silence was only broken by Woohyun singing voice and that only could mean that Myungsoo phone was ringing. While Myungsoo patted his pants to find the device, Sungyeol gave up.

Sungyeol let his body fall ungracefully on his seat while Myungsoo turned off his phone. “I’m done for today, come back when you find your balls to go through with this kind of conversation or when you read something.” He said.

Myungsoo couldn’t believe what he was hearing, him? With no balls? He snorted sarcastically while he adjusted Sunggyu bag and collected the books Sungyeol brought to him. “Says the guy that doesn’t have the balls to read some letters.” While Sungyeol was taken aback Myungsoo gave the last glare and left.

Once Sungyeol came to himself he couldn't believe that Myungsoo said his knowledge on his personal life to say something like this. He gritted his teeth in anger and attacked the closest thing to Myungsoo himself (the younger project) and ripped a few pages in anger.