My True Self

Sweet Candies

School is over and I walked out to the gate alone as Sungjong still have some stuffs to do. I decided to wait for him in front of the school's gate. As I walked I look above and I saw that the sky was surely blue, I could feel the breezy wind. What a nice weather. As I fixed my glasses then my eyes set on a figure. It's Kim Myungsoo. He was preparing to go home. He unlocked the key that locking his bike with the pole. He's so cold and silent, but how he could manage to look so cool and attractive. I stared at him for a long time until Sungjong came and tapped my shoulder.

“Sungyeol hyung.”

“Uh?..” I still looked at Kim Myungsoo until I realized that there's someone behind me. I turned my body and saw Sungjong. “Oh? Sungjong, you're finished?”

“Yep. Damn those teachers, they like to govern us so much. The documents was very heavy, poor my beauty hands...” Sungjong complained as he rubbed his hands.

“Poor you...” I could only respond that. Then I turned my head to Kim Myungsoo last position, I wonder if he still there. Then I saw no one there. He probably already went back home.

“Hyung?” Sungjong called me. “Who are you searching for? You look like looking for someone.” Was it that obvious?

“Uh? No, no.” I said shyly. “Let's just go home, Sungjong.”

“Hyung, why don't we hang out for a while.” Sungjong suggested.

“Where?” I asked.

“The usual place. I need to relax my mind from this stupid school.” He said while performing yoga movement.

“Yah! Sungjong, stopped it! It's embarrassing.” I said then leaving him.

“Hyung! Wait up!”

 

We arrived at the usual Cafe that we like to go after school or the weekend. We took a sit near the window. The waiter came up and asked us what would we like to order.

“I'd like to have one Americano please.” I said.

“Ice chocolate please.” Sungjong said.

“Ok, one Americano, and one Ice Chocolate. Thank you.” The waiter left our table.

There's not much of people inside the Cafe that's why me and Sungjong like to go here. I looked outside the window there was a lot of people walking around. But then I saw a girl with a cute baloon on his hand.

“SUNGJONG!” I yelled to him who was playing with his phone.

“What hyung? Can you please not yell?” He asked while still playing with his phone.

“Look! Look! I want that one, Sungjong!” I said excitedly pointed my finger to the girl direction.

“What is--” He looked to the girl and he continued. “Oh no you don't hyung. Look at your age, you're 17 going on 18. Yet, you still want balloons?” Sungjong asked in disbelief.

“Wae? That one is cute Sungjong. I want that one!!!” I whined to him.

“Oh my god, hyung. Stop it. Get a hold of yourself.” He said to me. I pouted. Then suddenly he looked at me with his serious face. “Hyung, why do you hide your true self? You look so cute and funny when you act like this. But when you're at school you're so shy and silent.” Uh... He brought the topic again.

“I don't know Sungjong. I don't know.” I answered him.

“Why you don't know? It's a big problem for you hyung.” Sungjong said.

“I know. I just feel.....” I think for a while trying to search the right word. “Uncomfortable? I feel like, I mustn't do anything beside studying when I am at school.”

“Hyung, you need to rest. You're already smart. You always got the first place. I think you need to take some rest a bit.”

“I can't Sungjong. I want to surpass my brother. I want to be more than him. You know that my parents always compare me to him right? I need to prove them that I'm as smart and as good as him.” I explained to him and he just sighed. He knows about my main problem at home. My parents always force me to study harder so I could be much better than my brother.

“Uh... hyung, Sunggyu hyung is a genius. I wonder why you're parents really like comparing you with him? I mean, he already got one genius son, aren't they bless enough?” He said. He was right. Aren't they satisfied that they already have one genius son?

“I agreed with you. Huh, this family issue of mine really stressing me.” I said while massaging my forehead.

The waiter came to our table and put our order. Sungjong mouthed thanks to him while I just lowered my head.

“Hyung, just don't get into a heavy stress. Just be yourself, don't let your parents change what you already are.” Sungjong said while comforting me.

“Thanks, Sungjong. You really are my best friend.” I said to him and took a sip of my americano. He smiled back to me.

“I wonder how could you survive at school without me by your side.” Sungjong said cockily.

“I'll be fine on my own.” I responded.

“You do? The last time I went on holiday for a week, I heard you were so lost and so lonely. You even only stayed in the class sticking with your books. You're so bored hyung.” Sungjong scoffed. I was speechless, it's true that I don't have anyone except Sungjong who always stay by my side. I feel grateful that I met Sungjong.

 

 

“Akhh! My tooth!” I winced at the sudden pain.

“Woohyun, are you ok?” Hoya asked me while we were walking back home.

“My tooth hurts, Hoya.” I said to him.

“Yah! This is what you got when you eat a lot of candies. How many times have I warn you that you shouldn't eat candy too much!” Hoya scolded me.

“Woohyun, you should go to the dentist.” Dongwoo suggested.

“Akkh! It hurts so bad.” Woohyun winced again. “I think, I'll go now. I can't stand the hurt.”

“Go, go before you nag on us.” Hoya shooed me.

“Be careful, Woohyun!” Dongwoo said while waving his hand.

 

I walked around to search a dentist that I usually go to. As I found it, I entered and greeted by the nurses.

“Hello, May I help you?” She asked.

“I'd like to see Dr. Park please.” I answered.

“Have you make an appointment before?” She asked.

“No, but I usually go to him when I have tooth problem.” I said to her. Damn this nurse, doesn't she know that I'm hurt now.

“Please wait for a while.” She said and went to the schedule board. She checked it and said, “Sorry, but Dr. Park is not here at the moment. But we have Dr. Kim at the moment and he doesn't have any patient right now.”

“Sure. My tooth is getting worse.” I said and let out a small winced. She called the Dr. through the telephone.

“Please, go to that room. Dr. Kim is inside.” She pointed to a room on the left. I said thank you and walked to the room. I opened the door and went inside, I saw a guy's back with his white doctor's coat. He turned around as he heard me coming in. I swear when he looked at me, I was stunned. He was so young and good-looking. I felt like I hit a jackpot.

“Please come in.” He said to me. I just nodded still mesmerized by his looked. His small eyes look adorable. As he smiling his eyes go crescent making it looks cuter. “So, what's your name?”

“Eh?” Did he just asking my name?

“I asked you what's your name, my patient?”

“Oh... It's W-Woohyun, N-Nam Woohyun.” Did I just stuttered? Stupid!

“No need, to be nervous, Woohyun-ah. Do you frequently go to dentist?” He asked me again, while getting ready with some of his tools.

“Y-yes Dr. I usually go to Dr. Park. But.. uh the nurse said that he's not here at the moment.” I explained to him.

“Oh Dr. Park. He's out of town right now, so I'm the one who substitute him.” He said. “Now, could you please sit in that chair?” He said asking me to sit on the dental chair. I sat and try to relax. He the light and pointed it to my mouth. “Woohyun-ah, Say A.” Oh my god, Dr. Park never treats me like this. This doctor just so cute! I opened my mouth and let him inspecting my mouth.

After a lot of inspection, finally he finished. He talked a lot in the process. He's very nice and kind. “Woohyun-ah, Do you eat candies a lot?” He asked. He got me.

“... Yes Dr.” I said.

“Then that's the problem. Typically hard candy worse for your teeth due to the length of time if stays in your mouth and because of the likelihood that you will eventually bite down possibly causing damage to your teeth.” He explained I just nodded. “I found quite many cavities in your teeth which is not good. Do you like lollipops?” Suddenly he asked.

“I DO DR.!” I answered him with full of spirit. He laughed, again he mesmerized me with his laughed.

Then he went to his table and brought something. “I have a lollipop here.” My eyes went wide. “I usually give it to the kids, but I think you are included in categorize of kids.” He laughed again. I pouted when he said that.

“I'll give this lollipop, only if you do what I said.” I nodded and listened to him carefully. “Everytime after you enjoying candy make sure to brush and floss your teeth. Cavities occur not from the sugar in the candy but from the bacteria which feeds on sugars that are not removed from your teeth when you brush and floss. That's why you're teeth is hurt.” He explained.

“Can I have the lollipop now, Dr.?” I asked him after he finished explaining.

“Eh, Woohyun-ah do you pay attention to what I said?” He asked me.

“I do Dr.! After eating candies make sure to brush my teeth.” I said to him.

“Very Good.” Then he ruffled my hair, I blushed a bit. It seems like we've known each other for a long time. “You're a good kid, Woohyun-ah.” He complimented.

“I'm not a kid Dr. I'm 17!” I said to him. He just laughed.

“So, Woohyun-ah I think you need to take some medicines with you to reduce the pain.” He wrote a recipe. “Here, take this to the counter and they will give you the medicines.”

“Thank you Dr.” I said to him. “Then, I'm leaving now.”

“Oh wait, I think you'll need this.” He searched something from his coat's pocket and found it. It's a name card. “Here, it's my name card. You can call me, if you have another problem.” He handed me his name card and I looked at it. I read his name, 'Kim Sunggyu'. I smiled to him and said, “Thanks a lot Dr. Kim” Then I went out from his room and went to the counter.

As I went home I smiled all along the way. It was the best dental moment I've ever had. Kim Sunggyu, I'll find out more about you.