Twenty- Seven

Need a Roommate?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Enjoy!

“Divorce...” the word keeps on playing inside of Chanyeol’s head. He doesn’t know how to feel about the whole situation. He wants to call his parents to see if

he can do something to prevent them from going through that process. But chances are that his parents won’t listen to him.

The night is beautiful despite the bitter feelings that Chanyeol is having. How can he deal with his father and mother’s sudden decision? He doesn’t even know if to cry or laugh about it. What bothers him more than his parents divorcing is the fact that his father kept his designs. Chanyeol doesn’t understand why his father kept them for so long. Why would he when he said that they were lacking, that he hated them.

It’s hard for Chanyeol to fully understand his father. He knows what his father likes and dislikes, yet he has to ask himself who this enigma is? And all of that confuses and angers him. He’s been living in so much confusion and anger for so long now. All Chanyeol wants to know is why his parents hate each other so much. Why are they keeping him in the dark? But most importantly, why did Mr. Park become so indifferent to Chanyeol.

“Should... I... go back?” the peace that Chanyeol had felt for the past month is slowly going away. He has obligations and a CEO position that he needs to take care of. Running away was such an immature action, but Chanyeol doesn’t regret it all. He doesn’t know if it’s because he feels free or because he met amazing people. Either way, he is happy now.

With a deep sigh, Chanyeol exhales the intoxicating smoke out, sniffing from the cold weather. Would working harder make any difference? He stares at the folder that his father had ‘supposedly’ thrown away before snorting. “Is this what you wanted to show me?” Chanyeol deeply frowns. “They are lacking and boring. Is this the type of son I raised you to be?” remembering the harsh words coming from his father pierced through his heart once again. And the effect is the same as the first time.

Have Chanyeol completely failed his father? Growing up all Chanyeol ever wanted was to make his father proud, to be just like him. Knowing that he failed the old man truly angers him. Chanyeol can deal with his mother’s indifference but not his father’s. It was too sudden, so out of the blue.

Chanyeol loathes the idea of his parents divorcing. He wants to prevent them from doing so, but he knows that divorce is probably for the best. “Why am I so affected by this news?” he questions himself with a snort as he stares at his designs. He had seen it coming. It was just a matter of time for his parents to file for divorce. Maybe it’s because Chanyeol always hoped that things were going to get fixed on their own. That his mother would eventually grow to love him and that his father would start loving him again, that they would finally become a normal and loving family – just like the Byuns.

But that is far from coming any reality now.

And Chanyeol blames himself for everything. It’s funny because he once heard it coming from his mother. He was eight when she coldheartedly blamed him for everything, especially for her unhappiness. But how can a child, who barely understands the difficulties of life, be the reason to someone’s misery?

“Omma...” Chanyeol feels his lips quivering. “Why do hate me so much? Why are you so unhappy?” the first tear rolls down his cheek. He harshly wipes it away with the sleeve of his jacket. “Appa... what wrong did I do?”

 

 

Baekhyun rushes his way inside the apartment after a long day of work and school. He is very tired and extremely hungry. However, a wide smile spreads all over his lips when he sees Chanyeol’s shoes placed nicely by the entrance. “He is here!” he beams with excitement, taking his shoes off and placing them next to Chanyeol’s. Baekhyun giggles at the noticeable difference in size.

But the smile and giggle leaves Baekhyun’s lips when he remembers the architect. There is something about Chanyeol that has been bothering Baekhyun. Chanyeol is constantly distracted. He is also constantly looking after the news or talking to Junmyeon about things that Baekhyun is dying to know. He wants to know everything about Park Chanyeol. What makes the architect happy, what sadness and angers him.

Byun Baekhyun wants to know it all.

With that in mind, Baekhyun slips into his bunny slippers. He notices how silent the apartment is as he makes his way towards his room. It bothers him because he usually finds Chanyeol watching TV, reading a book or cooking by the time that he gets back home from work or school. Then again, Chanyeol must be tired and bored of cooking after working at Sulay’s café. “It’s been a week already...” Baekhyun mutters to himself.

The architect’s been acting weird for a week now. Something must have happened days ago. Baekhyun just knows it. “Aigoo...” Baekhyun shivers as he gets out of his room after having freshen up, feeling a rush of cold air hitting him. “Why is it so cold?” he continues to shiver, noticing that the door of the terrace is opened. An unpleasant smell of tobacco hits his nostrils making him cringe.

With a frown, Baekhyun makes his way towards the terrace. He opens the curtains, slightly shivering and spots Chanyeol sitting on the floor with pillows underneath him and a brown blanket covering him. Books are all scattered around the architect along with a brown folder and a box of cigarettes. – Why is he out in the cold?

Chanyeol continues to smoke, inhaling and exhaling the toxic smoke down his lungs. “You shouldn’t smoke...” Baekhyun says with a pout as he makes his way out, still shivering from the cold November night.

The architect takes notice of Baekhyun’s state, snorting. “And you should wear a jacket, Baek.” he says. “Your hair is wet...”

The younger sulks as he sits next to Chanyeol. Baekhyun stares at the many books and lastly the intriguing folder. Narrowing his eyes to give the folder a better look, Baekhyun finds himself staring at the papers coming out of the folder. “Are these yours?” he grabs one piece of paper which seems to be a design.

Chanyeol blows the smoke out as he nods. “Yes...” and the younger can’t help but stare at the cigarette in Chanyeol’s hand in mere displease.

It’s not like if Chanyeol always smokes. The architect loves to do it on occasions and he knows how damaging they are. But having someone caring for him actually makes him chuckle. “There... it’s off.” Baekhyun brightly smiles at Chanyeol with a small nod.

The sight of Baekhyun smiling is relieving. Chanyeol can’t help but stare at the younger for more than intended. It somehow makes him happy. Just one look at the younger’s smile and Chanyeol forgets about everything. He forgets about his problems. Baekhyun’s smile is like a medicine, better than the intoxicating effect of smoking. “These are amazing!” Baekhyun exclaims. “May I?” the architect hesitantly nods. “Are they new?”

“No...” Chanyeol sighs, remembering how happy he was when he had finished them. He was ready to show them to his father. Chanyeol was proud of his work and very confident. But all of that confidence and self-esteem died that same day. Chanyeol would never forget the words. “They are from five years ago...”

The frown forming on his forehead doesn’t go unnoticed by Baekhyun. “I see... Are any of these actual buildings? Ommo, can we go see them?!” Chanyeol laughs as he shakes his head, bringing another pout out of Baekhyun. “You are mean! Why won’t you want to show them to me?” he asks, faking to be offended.

“They were just ideas, Baek...”

The younger nods in understand, mischievously smiling at the elder. “I already have a favorite!” Baekhyun faintly giggles while staring at one design in particular.

“You do, huh...” the younger nods, yet again. “Let me see. Which one?” the architect takes a look at the design, humming. “I see...” it brings a sense of nostalgia to him. – This one, Junmyeon. I know that my father will love this one! He grabs it from Baekhyun’s hand, saying that it is also his favorite. He had worked so hard on that particular design. All he wanted was to make a set of designs worthy of his father’s interest. Chanyeol was a hundred percent sure that Mr. Park was going to love them. “You really like them?” so, it’s hard for Chanyeol to believe that his designs are good.

Baekhyun averts his gaze from the designs to Chanyeol. He cutely tilts his head to the side, frowning. “You really think that they are good?” the architect asks to which Baekhyun snorts with a nod of his head. “My father had thought otherwise. He had even thrown them away...”

Now, why would someone want to throw away Chanyeol’s designs? The man can win an award for his uniqueness and originality. Baekhyun gives the designs a good look before staring at the architect. He wonders if Chanyeol will continue to talk about his father. Baekhyun can tell how much Chanyeol’s parents affect him. All the architect wants is his parents love. It’s painfully obvious. Somehow, the serious and silent Chanyeol doesn’t go well with him. Baekhyun had seen the playful, mischievous and dorky side of Chanyeol. It’s hidden deep within all that frustration and anger. “He hated this one the most,” Chanyeol points at the design that Baekhyun had chosen as his favorite, the very one that Chanyeol had pour his heart and soul into. “Lacking and boring were his words...” he bitterly laughs, putting the design back on the floor.

“Well, do you find them boring and lacking?” Baekhyun asks. He thinks that Mr. Park is an ignorant for saying such things about Chanyeol’s work. – He must be damn blind and stupid! Baekhyun can’t help but feel angry.

The architect finds himself frowning. He stops and thinks for a while about his work. It’s far from boring and lacking. Chanyeol knows that his work is ing amazing. With that in mind, Chanyeol shakes his head, saying that they aren’t. Baekhyun nods with a triumphant smile. “I might not know much about architecture,” he takes the design and passes it over to Chanyeol. “But even I can tell that these designs are of high quality. They are modern, contemporary and raw. One thing for sure, though, is that they might not be everyone’s cup of tea,” he says with a chuckle.

Chanyeol can’t help but feel warm and touched. He sort of feels inspired and flattered, but he is also unsure. “These designs scream Park Chanyeol,” Baekhyun says in a reassuring manner. “They are unique, Yoda!” he finds himself running a hand through the architect’s grown black hair. Baekhyun can’t help but feel very embarrassed.

And he is not the only one.

The gooey feeling that Chanyeol had felt the other day when thinking about Baekhyun is back, stronger than ever. His eyes widen for a split second the moment Baekhyun’s hand leaves his head. “U-umm...” Baekhyun clears his throat. “You can always tell me what is bothering you,” his face continues to grow red and warmer. Baekhyun couldn’t resist himself. It was hard considering the look of appreciation, hesitation, happiness combined with those puppy-like eyes that Chanyeol had. There were so many emotions running at once that Baekhyun found it hard to resist.

He can still see the surprised look on Chanyeol’s face. It makes him wonder if what he did was wrong. The architect might not like those types of actions and Baekhyun somehow gets it. It just makes him feel very conscious about who he is, what he likes and who he likes. “Is s-something wrong?” but he tries to put all of that behind.

The question throws Chanyeol off. He stares at his housemate with a puzzled look. “No. Why do you ask?” Chanyeol leaves the part that there is actually something heavy weighing him down, masking his real feelings because he doesn’t want to bother the younger.

Baekhyun snorts with a gesture. He wants to know because he hates seeing his roommate so down all of the time. Baekhyun feels like a failure whenever he is with Chanyeol. He should make him happy but he doesn’t know how to, oblivious that he is already changing Chanyeol’s life. “You were smoking. Remember when I said that my father only smoked when something was bothering him?” the architect nods.

That is enough for Chanyeol to know why Baekhyun is asking him that. “Come here....” Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun towards him, covering the younger with his blanket. Baekhyun’s eyes widen the moment his body presses against Chanyeol’s, blanket circling the both of them into welcome warmth.

Baekhyun’s heart pounds against his chest. It’s a heavy feeling, a heavy moment that makes Baekhyun feel so vulnerable. He just wants to purr himself closer to the elder, snuggle and lose himself on Chanyeol’s earthy smell combined with the musky aroma of the cigarette – simply arousing. “You were shivering so much. I don’t want you getting sick...”

A part of Chanyeol feels nervous for having Baekhyun so close to him. He is even shocked with himself. It

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter