40...

Black Notebook

Ushering both Nicole and Lizzy out of the class, Sanghyun grabbed his guitar on the way out and let Nicole claimed his free arm as they walked down the hallway of the school building. They talked about casual thing, joking with each other until they reached the front gate.

                "Sanghyun!"

                All the three friends stopped and turned around. Since Nicole and Lizzy already got to know from Wooyoung that GO had 'come back to life', it wasn't surprising to see the exact same boy leaning on the wall around the school together with Seungho and Joon, smiling and waving at Sanghyun.

                Sanghyun's eyes narrowed considerably, but he didn't really want Lizzy or Nicole to sense the conflict between him, GO, Joon and Seungho, so he nodded back at GO who was approaching closer.

                Lizzy and Nicole both waited silently as GO engaged Sanghyun in a conversation, exchanging glances to each other as they detect some uneasiness in Sanghyun's voice as if the boy would rather not talking to GO.

                "So, where are you going?"

                "Visiting a friend." Sanghyun said after a few seconds of pause. He looked carefully at Seungho and Joon who bore same look of sadness on their face. Those two definitely knew who he meant.

                "A friend? Is your friend sick?" GO asked innocently and Sanghyun just nodded. "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

                "Yea... Me too." Sanghyun mumbled, looking at each of his side for his best friend. "I should go."

                "Can I join you guys?"

                At GO's sudden question, Sanghyun's eyes darted back at the three boys in front of him, seeing clearly how Seungho and Joon tensed up at the unexpected request.

                "Which hospital is it?" GO asked again. "I can join, right?"

                Before Sanghyun could even say no, Lizzy had cut him off first, "Of course, sunbaenim. But, he isn't in the hospital."

                "Did your friend caught a cold? That's sweet of you visiting him just because of flu."

                Nicole slightly frowned at GO. "Aniyo... It's not cold... Didn't they tell you?" Nicole asked back, giving a look at both Joon and Seungho.

                GO looked back to Joon and Seungho who were obviously avoiding his eyes. "Ani. What kind of thing they should have told me?"

                "Mir got caught up in the brawl of AXE." Lizzy informed. "He's... In coma..." Lizzy voice trailed off and she smiled sadly.

                Sanghyun closed his eyes and clenched his fist. He didn't like where this was heading just as much as Seungho and Joon but for different reason but he didn't have any idea how to stop this flow.

                GO stared at Lizzy, trying to see if Lizzy was just joking with his words. Mir? Where had he heard that name before? "Mir..." He tried the name and surprisingly, it rolled down his tongue quite easily. That name had that familiarity he couldn't really place. Wait! AXE? "When did that happened?" He asked slowly.

                Joon stepped up and grabbed his hyung's arm. "Hyung. Let's go home." He was unable to hide his nervousness.

                "No. I want to know." He said calmly, patting on Joon's hand that was still holding on his arm.

                "About a few months ago. Sanghyun told me, he was trying to save Joon." Lizzy informed, unknowing to what she was doing.

                GO looked down in thought but when he finally looked up, his gaze held a sharp glare at Joon. "Is that why you were back all bandaged up when I first woke up?" He seethed. "Why the hell would you get involved with AXE?"

                "Hey, cool down. There's nothing to get mad at now. He's safe." Seungho tried calming his fuming friend down.

                "Did you told him about AXE?" GO turned his burning glare to Seungho.

                "No, he didn't. I hired a private investigator to find out what happened to you. I was angry and wanted revenge. I'm sorry, hyung." Joon admitted.

                "Then, what about that Mir kid? How did he get involved?"

                "That..." Joon trailed off, throwing helpless look in Seungho's way.

                GO waited but somehow, he felt he won't get any answer from these two. That left Sanghyun. But as he turned back to his three juniors, the place they were standing was already empty. He frowned. When did Sanghyun left?

                "Can't you just forget about it. It's in the past where none of us want to go back to." Seungho said sternly. He really didn't want to remember what had happened in the past when he thought he had lost GO and he knew Joon was the same. And there was no telling what would happen to GO once the boy remembered about Mir. There must be a reason why GO couldn't remember his life as a wandering spirit.

                GO exhaled. "How can I forget when someone got hurt because of me? And that happen few months ago and he's still hurt? What the hell happened to him?"

                "He's... Urm... He's in coma." Seungho finally told.

                GO's eyes almost popped out of his socket and winced when he felt sudden pain in his chest and his heart beat erratically and without even him knowing the reason, he felt overwhelmed with anxiety. "C-coma?" He breathed out in wavering voice.

                "Yea..." Joon confirmed.

                GO stumbled back a bit when his vision doubled and his head felt dizzy. He held his head in his hand. "Someone is in coma because of me?" He whispered.

                Seungho and Joon would have denied but in a way, GO was the reason why Mir was in this condition right now, just not in the way that GO was thinking.

                "I... What should I do?" GO asked himself.

                "There's nothing we could do. You can at least forget it for your own sake." Seungho advised, clapping his best friend's shoulder. "It will do no good blaming yourself."

                "Let's go home, hyung. You don't look good." Joon tugged on GO's hand and the three of them made their way home.

 

######

 

"What's wrong? You're scaring us with that face." Lizzy walked in a distance from Sanghyun with Nicole clinging on her hiding behind Lizzy and just peek her eyes out above Lizzy's shoulder.

                Sanghyun breathed in and out slowly and his face relaxed again, offering a smile to the two girls. "I'm fine." He said simply, pressing the doorbell to Mir's house. He did it a few more times before a happy face of Rain appeared from behind the door. Too happy... "Urm... We're here." Sanghyun said slowly and was brought into a sudden hug by Rain.

                "You came at the right time!" Rain exclaimed giddily. "Come on in. I've got surprise for you kids." He dragged clueless Sanghyun towards Mir's room.

                A huge surprise was waiting in the room for the three friends. It was Mir. Sitting up on the bed, back supported by two pillows, lively look with bright smile on his face. "Yo, Sanghyun." Mir waved casually.

                "M-Mir?" Sanghyun blinked a few times, rubbing his eyes harshly yet it was the same face, the same smile, the same lively look. No longer sickly pale complexion on Mir's tanned skin. When he felt a sharp pain on his arm, he saw Nicole was pinching on his skin while her wide eyes were glued on Mir.

                "It's not a dream." Nicole whispered. "Right?"

                "Yea... It's Mir... It's really is Mir. Our Mir." Lizzy said, a few tears started leaking out of her glassy eyes. "MIR!" She didn't waste a second more as she threw herself on Mir who caught him rather easily, laughing adoringly at Lizzy and patting his best friend's red hair.

                "Why are you crying like a baby, silly..."

                Lizzy pulled away but still sitting on the bed, next to Mir and buried he face into Mir's shoulder. "This is tear of happiness, puppy."

                "I know. I heard from Rain hyung, you guys always come to visit me. Thanks a lot for that. I'm happy to know." Mir expressed, Lizzy's locks delicately.

                Nicole went to Mir's other side, crying silently with wide relieved smile on her face and immediately collapsed into Mir's half hug when Mir open his arms.

                Sanghyun stood next to Rain. "You sure take a really long nap." He jibed with a smirk.

                "Yea... I feel freaking refreshed." Mir stretched a bit and squeezed his two best friends in his hold playfully.

                "You sleepy head." Lizzy jabbed on Mir's side and laughed away at Mir's cute yelp. Oh, how she missed this boy...

                "Puppy..." Mir's mother gave a look with raised brow at Mir. "Which one is your girl?" She finally asked with an evil smirk and somehow Mir felt like it was better if he was asleep still.

                Lizzy tore away from Mir's side almost instantly and went to hide behind Sanghyun bashfully, while Nicole just stayed there beside Mir, giggling to herself, knowing what kind of feeling Lizzy held for Mir.

                "Umma~" Mir whined and they all laughed in that room.

                "Fine, puppy. Well, maybe we should make a hot pot dish tonight to celebrate." Their umma stood up from the chair by the bedside, straightening her clothes a bit. "I'll be going out to buy the ingredients. And we will have a nice dinner tonight."

                "Waa~ Hot pot! I'm starving!" Mir exclaimed in bliss.

                "You just ate two bowls of porridge." Rain reminded.

                "A whole pot of that isn't going to fill what I lost for these few months..." Mir puffed his cheeks. "Umma. I want a lot of mushrooms."

                "Anything for my baby."

                "Ahjumma. I'll help you carry the bags." Lizzy offered.

                Mir's mother jerked her brows at Mir, mouthing her approval on Lizzy as her future daughter in law and left the room with happy smile with Lizzy and also Nicole who wanted to help as well.

                "Ugh! Umma is just making me want to sleep for another month." Mir grumbled.

                Rain and Sanghyun chuckled at Mir. It felt surreal to have Mir back. Sanghyun sat slowly at the edge of Mir's bed, staring at Mir without blinking while Rain went to Mir's study table, pulling the chair there to sit on as he watched over the two friends.

                Mir grinned. "You're going to burn a hole into my head." He teased and Sanghyun lowered his eyes, laughing quietly.

                A playful smack was left on Mir's blanket covered legs and Sanghyun stared back at Mir. "Do you remember?" He asked.

                "Remember what?"

                "What has happened?"

                Mir stayed quiet, wondering what Sanghyun meant before he tried an answer, "Well, you did come to help me that day. I remember that."

                "Mir..." Rain called and Mir turned his eyes to his older brother. "Sanghyun knows. About all."

                "All?" Mir turned back to Sanghyun who nodded. "And... You believe it?"

                Sanghyun shrugged. "It was hard to digest at first but... When I thought back, I shouldn't be surprised since you kind of showed it being all weird and sometimes creepy." A light shiver ran through Sanghyun's spine.

                Mir faked a hurt expression. "I'm not weird and creepy!" Mir shot a glare at his bestfriend who just grinned sheepishly. "If you can believe that, then you might be able to digest this. I kind of got caged up by a psycho demon."

                Sanghyun blinked with a look of an idiot, stunned to silence.

                "I thought I was dead and in hell or something but a friend... Urm. A friend that was just exactly like GO. Who used to cling to me as spirit. That friend help me out. Maybe he had some abilities. He helped me out. The nurse that took care of me also help me. Well, he also have abilities. He's really nice. He promised to come visit again with the other nurse who also took care of me. Maybe I can introduce them to you next time." Mir tried to explain slowly in the shortest way.

                Sanghyun's head slowly tilted to the side and he frowned in thought before he finally shrugged it off. He was already at the point where he won't be surprised if Mir said he ride a unicorn to get back to the real world after all. "That's cool." He commented.

                "At least you didn't call me crazy." Mir chirped, throwing meaningful side glance at his flustered older brother sitting quietly at the table.

                "Hey! I never call you crazy." Rain quickly denied.

                "Your words suggested it." Mir snorted and turned back to Sanghyun, looking hesitant for a bit. He had been wanting to know but it wasn't like he could ask Rain. But, Sanghyun must know. He was Seungho's cousin. And he was also a friend to GO. "Sanghyun... Is GO hyung... Fine?"

                Sanghyun's face tensed and after a long unnerving minute, he finally nodded. "Yea. He's fine. He... Woke up." He said quietly and saw from the corner of his eyes how Rain's face seemed to darkened.

                Mir tensed shoulder loosened up and he smiled in relief. "Good." He muttered quietly.

                "Mir..."

                Mir looked up at Sanghyun. "Hmm?"

                Sanghyun opened his mouth but closed it up again as he decided against telling Mir about GO's forgotten memories. His hand shot out and he pulled on Mir's ear playfully.

                "Oww! What was that for?" Mir yelped.

                "That's for not telling me Sir Jihoon is your hyung."

                "Oh that..." Mir chuckled. "I thought it was funny."

                "Funny, huh... Sir, is he healthy enough for me to beat him up?" Sanghyun asked Rain without removing his eyes from Mir who was getting nervous at the look in Sanghyun's eyes which shouted that Mir was in deep trouble now.

                "Well... Have a blast." Rain said casually as if he could care less.

                And with that, Mir was pushed back into the bed and Sanghyun's long arm was around his neck. Mir squeaked and fight back with a strength that was quite great for someone who just got up from a coma.

                Rain smiled. Mir was back to them... His eyes found the glint from the small ring around Mir's finger. And he would make sure nothing could take Mir away from them again.

 

#######

 

"Hey, Mir!" Mir raised his eyes to Sanghyuk who was waving at him from the school gate cheerfully.

                Mir smiled and grabbed a firmer hold on the strap of his backpack and jogged towards the younger. "Morning~" He greeted once he reached Sanghyuk.

                "Morning. Hey, I got my test result back today. Not really a test. Just a quiz but can you help me cover it from Leo hyung? Others are fine. Just English. He's been nagging a lot these days about my studying considering he supposed to be really quiet. He won't even let me help in the shop anymore, saying I at school and need to focus in studying and can't work-”

                While Mir was still regaining back his normal health, Leo and Sanghyuk did visit them and after a few visits, Mir decided he actually like Sanghyuk. Sanghyuk was a good dongsaeng and since Mir never had a dongsaeng, Sanghyuk quickly climbed the charts of important friends of his in his heart. Plus, he still owe Sanghyuk his life. And Leo too. For that ring.

                "-But I still got problem with English." Sanghyun kept on chattering and when Mir tuned in, Sanghyuk was already looking at him with a pair of cute starry eyes.

                "Urm..." Mir started. "I'm not good with English as well." He watched as Sanghyuk let out a small sigh. "But we can both get help from Sanghyun. He's good at it."

                "That sounds cool!" Sanghyuk cheered up again easily. "You can talk to him about that."

                "Of course." Mir easily agreed. "Sanghyuk, today, try to make a friend." Mir suddenly said.

                Sanghyuk blinked before a pout decorated his lips. "Leo hyung talked to you." He mumbled sulkily. "I don't want to be friend with someone who don't want to understand me."

                Mir understand what Sanghyuk was saying. Before, when he had Jaejin attached to him as spirit, he was an outcast to his schoolmates. He was bullied and was called crazy a lot of times and only after he went into middle school that the bullying stop as he stayed low profile and he only got friends when he moved to Seoul. Real friends. And Leo voiced out this problem of Sanghyuk to him because to Leo, Mir was Sanghyuk's first friend and he was hoping Mir could take care of Sanghyuk.

                Of course Mir would, but Mir also want Sanghyuk to have more friends and to enjoy school life more. "You will eventually find someone who will understand you." Mir said. "Don't keep a scary look on your face. Just act usual. You're cute and people will bound to like you."

                Sanghyuk smiled again, showing his line of white teeth. "I'm cute?"

                "Jaejin said the same, remember?" Mir reminded, smiling when he thought about Jaejin who somehow (creepy or not) actually found Mir's address one way or another and came to meet Mir like the lad had promised Mir when they were in The Further. And Jaejin had came when Leo and Sanghyuk was visiting. They clicked together like old friends almost immediately. Maybe because all four of them had same abilites, a bit different but still similar in a lot of ways.

                "Jaejin hyung called everyone cute. Even Jihoon-shi and Leo hyung." Sanghyun said dryly.

                Mir laughed. "That's true." He slung an arm and Sanghyuk. "But, I don't call everyone cute and I say, you are definitely cute. Now, listen to this hyung, go in and make friends." With that, he gave a push on Sanghyuk's back and chuckled when Sanghyuk stomped away sulkily towards the school building.

                Mir proceeded to his classroom too but halted when he saw familiar figure sitting alone on the bench by the basket ball court. It was GO. Even from this distance, Mir knew GO was saddened for some reasons. But, it wasn't like Mir could help since GO didn't even remember him. Yes, Mir knew.

                Even if Sanghyun didn't tell him, Mir bound to find out sooner or later. And he did. He just arranged the patched up stories from people around him and compared with his experience with Jaejin and BAM! He got the nearly perfect story about what happened when he was still trapped in The Further. Mir didn't feel disheartened or sad at the fact that he was forgotten by GO. Maybe a little bit disappointed but he didn't linger. He was already happy knowing GO was alive and healthy, though seemed to be a bit depressed now that he layed eyes on GO for the first time after that day.

                Mir frowned. That stuping annoying instinct to comfort GO came bugging him again, nudging him urgently for him to do something. Mir ruffled his own hair in frustration and went into the building. He would think of a way to comfort GO even though the older didn't remember him. Because at least, Mir still remember.

                Mir smiled. He didn't mind to be the only one to remember. Those were still some precious memories and he would always treasure each and one of it.

 

######

 

GO had a long week for himself to keep thinking about what had happened to Mir, a boy who got hurt because of him. Sure, he was angry at himself for having someone hurting because of him but there was something more. An excruciating pain at the sole fact that Mir was hurt. Guilt was there. Yes, it definitely was but there was greater pain as if he had lost someone.

                It was weird to feel that way since he never even meet Mir. He couldn't even imagine a face. Yet he was in immense pain for that mentioned boy.

                He had told Joon and Seungho to leave him alone and they did, for their understanding, GO was thankful. But being left alone wasn't really helping as well as the pain became worse as the days passed. He considered of talking to Sanghyun but the latter had been avoiding him. He opted for Lizzy or maybe even Nicole but Sanghyun must had said something to those girls since they avoid him like a plague.

                GO had forgone his sleep and meals throughout the sleep. He knew both his best friend and family were dead worried about him since he just woke up yet he was starting to disregard his health which was still a bit fragile. But, it wasn't like he purposely want to fall sick. He was just... Hurt. Really hurt for some reason.

                GO sighed and hid his head in his hand. All the ruckus from a basket ball game in this school court didn't gain even the tiniest of his interest despite that being his favorite sport and he just sat at the side of the court, swallowed in his own thought. His thought was filled with Mir's name and unanswered questions. He felt how he was slowly being depressed which wasn't good since he was still healing from his last condition.

                He could hear the basketball bouncing of the floor and frowned when the sound came closer to him and finally raised up his head when he felt something hit his feet. He looked down at the ball by his feet blankly. He looked back into the court. The game was still on and the ball was there. This was another ball.

                GO reached out to the ball and once his palm met the round object, he felt weird sense of peace as if someone was soothing him. As if someone was trying to comfort him. All of his complicated thought went far back in his mind as he let his pain being healed by the presence of the ball.

                He took the ball into both hands, staring at the object for a few seconds more before he looked around him and that was when he saw a boy standing across the court, separated from him by distance and the students who was deep in the basketball games. The boy was looking at him as well, a smile grazed the boy's lips and GO stood up to get better look at the boy.

                Only one thing described the boy as GO kept staring at the boy. A familiar stranger. And he felt as if he had known the stranger for a long time, sharing a deep bond. Who was that? GO stepped forward, into the court unconsciously to get closer to that stranger but stumbled back when two of the students ran past him, almost running into him, a game was still actively played by those students.

                At that moment, he was slightly distracted from the familiar stranger and when his eyes found the boy back, the boy's eyes weren't on him already as Sanghyun was already standing there, talking to the boy. The two youngers went away from the court towards the school building. The boy threw a last smile at him before he left.

                "Mir..." That name automatically left his lips...

 

- The End -
 

Okay, this is it. Although this is lacking but I still finished it *bricked*. And for the ending, there's a hint that GO MIGHT BE ABLE TO REMEMBER in the future since Jaejin remembered Mir.

Thank you for those who stay with me along this journey. A big bear hug for the subscribers and commenters and readers. Thanks my sweeties!!!

Especially you *point a finger* yes, you Karen (LOL) for being so kind even though I lacked a lot and for always listening and responding to my rant regarding MBLAQ