32..

Black Notebook

Mir looked around the room, unconsciously had a soft smile on his lips as he approached the small garden of snowy white Jasmines. The soft flowery smell this shop had comfort Mir in a way Mir had never felt before. Maybe this was why people usually send flower as gift. Flower could make anyone happy.

                "Which one do you think I should buy?" Joon asked, already standing behind Mir, looking at the same Jasmine Mir was caressing with the pads of his fingers.

                "For who?" Mir asked back eyes still lovingly fixed on the batch of lovely flowers.

                "For the one I want you to meet of course." Joon answered cheekily with a tease followed not far. "Or do you want it too?"

                Mir frowned. "Okay... I really don't understand why you're so persistent with all this secret." Mir commented and walked ahead to the bunch of tulips. Tulips were pretty too, especially the violet ones. It strangely had a very passionate beauty almost as the same the red roses placed on the bench just next to them. At least that was how it was to Mir.

                "Because it's a surprise and it's always fun to see you look confused." Joon kept tailing after the younger, skipping behind him.

                Mir rolled his eyes. "How am I suppose to pick the flower then?" Mir groaned loudly. Joon shrugged his shoulder, still tailing Mir around the shop like a lost kitten.

                The florist who was following the duo as well giggled at Mir's annoyed outburst, before suggesting Mir a better question to help him in choosing the flower. "Maybe you can ask what type of person he or she was."

                Mir tilted his head in agreement but didn't follow the suggestion as he saw GO floating above the bench where GO was floating with happy grin. "Never mind. I think that's pretty." Mir concluded as he saw how the pale pink of the Camelia seemed to his eyes or maybe it was because GO looked like he loves those flowers if not obvious enough when GO grinned even wider at Mir once he heard the choice the younger made.

                "Oh?" Joon made a small noise, unnoticed by Mir as the younger went ahead with the florist to see the arrangement she would make from the flower he chose. Joon inhaled deeply with cocked brow. How did Mir knew which flower he always bought for that person? Shaking his head he chuckled to himself. What an amazing coincidence. "Is it safe to assume you're a psychic since you're also slightly on the weird side?" Joon crept behind Mir when Mir simply threw him a weird look. "Well, you know. I always buy these flowers for him." He revealed.

                "Oh? Really?" Mir turned back to look at how the florist was carefully arranged some other side flowers, in between, asking Mir if he had any particular request for the arrangement. "That look cute." Mir pointed to one dark orange colored flower buds. "Will it goes well with this pink one?" He contemplated with the earlier and main choice of flower he made just now which the florist nodded kindly.

                "Though the arrangement look a bit different now thanks to your contribution. But I bet he's going to like it."

                Mir turned to fully facing Joon, letting his back leaned on the counter. "Who is this 'he'?" He inquired which Joon just grinned yet no sort of answer slipped out of his tight lips. "Fine. Keep it to yourself."

                "Curious?"

                "Not even a bit." And Mir did look like he had not even slightest interest to continue this conversation. Sooner or later Mir would eventually meet this super mysterious person. And Mir would that much of impatient person. In a right situation, his patience could even surpass an angel.

                They waited in silence for a few more moment before Joon spoke again. "They are pink Camelia." He stated as he was sure the younger didn't know the name of the flower and he was right as those round hooded eyes staring at him with curiosity. "Do you know what those flowers mean?" Mir shook his head vigorously obviously interested to know and the sound of chuckles from the florist greeted him in response.

                "What do they mean?" Mir asked, his eyes now on the florist.

                The girl smiled kindly. "You can ask your friend there." She crooned her neck slightly, raising her liquefy eyes towards Joon.

                Mir snorted. "He might be feeding me lies for all I know."

                "Ouch!" Joon mocked hurt, the material of the shirt over his chest.

                "Well... In olden days, the flowers symbolized for longing. It still popular this day to be given to someone you miss so deeply." She explained, giving a final touch in the dark velvety ribbon bounding the flowers. "Want to include a card?" Joon shook his head to the latter and took out the money to pay.

                "So you miss whoever this person is?" Mir teased, not expecting to be meet with Joon's sad eyes despite the small smile pasted on the older's face.

                "That I do. So much." Joon said softly and Mir swore he saw those almond-shaped eyes slightly glistened with unshed tears.

                Clearing his throat at the sudden down air around them, and feeling guilty somehow for unknowingly bringing up a sensitive topic, Mir looked around the shop, when his eyes caught uncanny flowers to the one he chose before, it just this group of flowers were cotton white with shade of cream lining the insides of the petals. He found himself drawn to the flowers. "They are..." Mir stopped himself, not knowing how to express his opinion on these flowers. This group of flowers weren't really particularly beautiful but something just pulling him towards the flowers. He looked over his shoulder towards Joon and the florist who were still at the counter. "What do these flowers mean then?"

                Joon shrugged unknowingly and turned to the florist as well. The florist kind smile was faltering and she didn't look too pleased at Mir's visible interest towards the flower. There was silence inside the shop but Mir's pestered again for answer. So she answered reluctantly. And her answer caused Mir's heart to stop momentarily and so did GO who happened to hear it as well.

                "Death."

 

##########

Sanghyuk couldn't suppress the anxiety bubbling up his chest as he paced around the space of the living room. He almost even bit his nail off in his prancing.

                Leo let out his characteristic small sigh. He was getting dizzy watching his younger cousin walking back and forth in front of him so when Sanghyuk went past him for the fifteenth time, he held out his hand and caught the boy by wrist.

                "Sit." He ordered. One word from him was adequate.

                Sanghyuk plopped down on the sofa next to Leo with a stubborn huff. "When is she coming?" Now, his fingers won't stop moving, tapping on his knees. Even his legs kept moving. They had phoned Leo's mother once they got back from the work, evermore when Sanghyuk was starting to get sick from the strong dark scent around Rain.

                Leo shook his head. "She's on her way. She'll be here in any minute."

                Sanghyuk turned quiet but only for a while. "What if she can't help?"

                Leo blinked. Well, they didn't have any other back up plan. "Relax. We're not even sure yet if it is what we think."

                "Of course it is hyung. Didn't you feel the aura around Jihoon-shi. Nothing else could leave their lingering scent that strong. That..." Sanghyuk shivered and hugged himself. "That dark."

                Of course Leo felt it. He even felt it more than Sanghyuk because he had more ability than the younger. He was grateful Sanghyuk wasn't as sensitive as him or the younger might be scarred by what he would sense.

                "Can we still save him?" Sanghyuk asked slowly.

                "I hope so." Leo replied and the image of Mir when their first and only meeting flashed in his mind by itself. How cheery and adorable the boy was. How gentle he was with everyone around him. How easily Mir figured himself as a shy reserved boy unlike other people who would tag Leo as stiff and arrogant. How attached Mir to the spirit, with brilliant red ribbon connecting them. "I hope that spirit can protect him too."

                Sanghyuk frowned. "We can't trust that dead boy. He is just the same as others."

                "You don't know that."

                Sanghyuk turned away. Yes, he didn't know. He couldn't. "I just don't want to see another person getting hurt."

                Leo put his hand around Sanghyuk's shoulder. "We are trying our best and let's hope it will be enough."

                "We have to make sure it's enough."

                Leo pulled back, slightly surprised by the determination the younger was expressing. And all he could do was rubbing Sanghyuk's arm and nodded in agreement.

                They sat in silence until the doorbell rung through the house and Sanghyuk jumped on his feet immediately, almost yanking the front door off of its hinges.

                "Oh my... You look so skinny, my baby." The beautiful middle aged women that was standing behind the door opened her arms, ready to engulf her one and only son.

                "Aunt. I'm not Leo." Sanghyuk revealed but still leaning for a hug.

                Leo's mother blinked and rubbed her eyes before laughing to her silly self and patted Sanghyuk on his back. "My contacts fell in the elevator just now."

                "Hi, mom." Leo greeted the lady once Sanghyuk released the embrace. He leaned in just after, getting himself squeezed into loving and longing hug. "Okay. Okay. That's enough." He even had to pry away the snake like limbs from around him.

                "My baby is as unfriendly as always." The lady smacked on both the boys' arms, making her way into the house easily after pushing both of the boys out of his ways. "So... Let's get down to the business." She gestured towards the couch opposite to where she sat and pulled a tense look on her face. She had heard about the boy namely Mir and after thinking deeply, she had only one conclusion in his hand. The boy was indeed in danger. "So..." She trailed off, waiting for both of the boys to settle down.

                Leo took a book by the racks on his way to sit at the dining table not that far from where his mother was, pretending to read for he needed something to ease the nervousness from what he might learn from his mother this time.

                Sanghyuk sat down on the single armchair and gripped on the ring tighter that his knuckles went white as he listen carefully to his aunt's explanation and even though Leo seemed distracted by the thick book in his hands, Sanghyuk knew the older was listening too.

                "I have seen one case before having such connection between a human and a spirit. It didn't end well. The living essence of that human will seeped through that bond towards the spirit. Don't be decieved by how beautiful the bond look like. Eventually, it will be the spirit who will be living and the human's soul will be left weak and exposed to... Death. The body of the human might become vessel for something else to use especially if that human is special and based what you two told me, this boy, Mir is special. That thing would want his soul. And other dangerous things, well other than the one that want Mir's soul would want Mir's body. There are a lot of unsettled lingering spirits that want to feel living once again. Even as we speak, those spirits are probably hanging around the boy already, waiting for their chance and if they took over the boy's body once the soul left, there is no telling he could get back into his own body. What will be left after is only... Death."

                Sanghyuk inhaled, grim look on his features. "So, that thing. The one that want Mir's soul. Is it..." He intentionally letting his words left incomplete.

                His aunt nodded. "It's a demon."

                Sanghyuk sighed heavily, breath quivering slightly. It was one thing to handle all the lost, unsettled and even vengeful spirit of people dying of unfair cause and dealing with demon which definitely more powerful... He wasn't sure he could help Mir.

                "But what would that spirit do with the living essence? It's not like he can return to life." Sanghyuk asked, leaning forward with a tense look on his face when he remembered each sentence his aunt had spoken to him.

                The mid-age woman shook her head. "There's something you have misunderstood here about the spirit." She paused, Sanghyuk and Leo exchanged weird glance. What could have been misunderstood about the ghost?