39...

Black Notebook

Before you guys read... Just know that I did watch 'Insidious' movie and freaking love it. Yup, the referring is intended because I'm not creative enough. LOL

 

It was cold in here. His left ankle was bound to a metal chain that was fixed at the stoney wall behind him. Both his hands were free but there was no freedom for him. He couldn't walk even halfway through the large space towards the red door and it was frustrating him to no end but strangely, he didn't throw a fit like he usually would have done.

                He didn't felt sick or weak but each time he tried to move even a finger, it seemed as if he was left with not even a drop of energy and all he could do was curling into the corner he was sat and stare at the creature in front of him.

                He didn't even know whether it was day or night and where on earth he was right now. This place seemed like a dungeon. It reeked of blood and moss and some other unpleasant smell his nose was getting used to but it didn't mean he would come to like such smell. A light of orange glow dancing in his eyes as he stared at the fire on the wall which was the only source of the light in this room before his eyes trailed back down on the creature.

                Ever since he woke up from his unconsciousness, the only moving living thing that had been constantly sitting in this same space of him was this creature. He wasn't sure what kind of creature was this at first. It just sat there, staring into a case that looked like a jewellery box. It didn't speak and he wasn't even sure if it could speak for that matter. It didn't look at his way even once. It didn't do anything and just sat there for the longest time.

                It would be a situation that would send anyone into the edge of sanity having to wake up in a very strange place with a very strange, dangerous looking creature sat just a few feet away, feet bound to a wall and had no way to escape except maybe the red door but that was only if he could escape the metal chain first, however for him, it wasn't something that scared him. He was curious even... Intrigued, maybe? Not the least bit of fear was in him as he kept analyzing this creature which was less likely a human.

                Finally, he got it enough and spoke for the first time after what felt like forever. He didn't have the tract of time, he couldn't have, in this place with no window to peer the sky up there. He had thousands questions in his mind yet he never felt the urge to voice any of them up until now, that is. But the question that he blurted out was pretty much random and simply... Weird.

                "What's in there?" Mir asked quietly, slightly surprised that his voice didn't sound raspy even after being so quiet for a long time. Then again, he never felt the hunger or urge to use a bathroom since he woke up which pretty much long ago.

                The creature turned to face Mir, looking slightly amused. Not to blame it. One would never have thought that such question would be the first being asked. "Souls..." It answered.

                Mir shivered slightly at the sound of his voice and something clicked in his mind. "For what?"

                "For fun."

                Mir let out a small breath. So, this was what it is? This creature was a demon... Yea... Mir knew. Mir knew perfectly what kind of situation he was in right now. Whoever in the right mind that had seen a ghost like GO would have been curious enough about the other dimension and Mir was included, so he did his research. That was probably why he should have listen to Sanghyuk in the first place but he really wanted to help GO, even at his own risk.

                "Interesting." The demon breathed out, blood red eyes on Mir.

                Mir looked down to the case in the demon's hand and could only grimace when he saw light blue color which seemed like gas but then rippled like liquid when the creature shook the case a bit. With a strong gaze, he somehow saw anguish in that case and it was as if he could hear painful scream and mournful cries coming from the box.

                "I know it is more fun with you here." The demon grinned, putting the case on the ground. "I've been wondering which case should I put you in... Which case would break you in the most slow and excruciating way." Its long finger ghosted over slightly and Mir winced, shrinking away from the hand even before it touched his skin.

                The creature was scalding hot. Like a burning metal, contrasting the cold room they were in right now. Mir wondered if it was intentional when he saw the smirk on that devilish face. "I'd be happy if I got a new luxurious case for my own." Mir jibed, already giving up on trying for an escape. Hell, he was with a demon who wanted nothing but to torture his soul. He probably was already dead in the other world. Though this was even worse.

                "Such will... Interesting..." It said again before standing up and left through the red door without another word.

                Mir eased himself and let his back leaned on the cold stony wall and had to retreat almost immediately at the piercing dull feeling against his back. This was it... "I am doomed for the whole eternity..." He said ironically only to be surprised with another voice responding to him.

                "Not really. Your soul can disappear too if being put into too much torture. There isn't really what we would call eternity in this kind of place."

                Mir looked up and saw a new face poking out from behind the red door. It was a boy of his age, grinning so widely that Mir felt his own cheeks ache. Mir rose his brow at the new presence. "And who are you?"

                He didn't get any answer when the boy dashed towards him, engulfing him in a tight bone-crushing hug. "I miss you so much!" The boy exclaimed, pulling away for a second to stare at Mir's baffled face before pulling Mir back into a second hug. "You haven't changed much since the last time I saw you!"

                Mir coughed for a bit when he was finally released from the iron grip. "Yea... And you obviously change a lot that I can't recognize you. Who the hell are you?"

                The boy, again, just grinned widely and went to look at the chain tying around Mir's ankle, ignoring Mir's question. "Sorry I took a bit of time but since I finally got some help, in turn, I can help you out."

                "You can? Out where? Wait. But, I'm already dead." Mir gasped slightly. "Am I going to heaven? Or maybe hell?"

                "You? Dead? Not yet." The boy frowned at Mir, taking out a small sharp edge green stone and Mir was astonished at the beauty of the stone now glowing brilliantly. The boy put the stone against the chain and amazingly, it slowly melt into a lukewarm water, leaving Mir free to fled. The boy grabbed Mir's hand into firm grip before he took off, dragging Mir across the red door only to arrived in a dark space and when the red door closed behind them, they were left in this unending darkness that slightly unnerved Mir.

                "Where the hell are we?" Mir whispered, using his free hand to cling on the hand that was holding him, guiding him to somewhere.

                "Well, I'm not really sure. But I call this place The Further." The boy explained and Mir swore he could hear smile in the other's voice. Was this nameless boy enjoying this? "What's left now is to find your was back but I'm not sure where... Hmm... Maybe this way?" He tugged Mir in a direction just right after.

                "Are we lost?" Mir asked dryly, letting himself being dragged in this pitch black space that seemed to have no boundaries.

                "Maybe. But, if only we have some guide... We need to keep walking though before that demon realized you're gone and catch up with us."

                Mir felt another tug, this time more urgent. "Who are you?" He asked again.

                "Well, well, aren't you dying to know?" The boy joked. "I'm actually sulking right now since you can't remember me. We used to sleep together, bath together, eat together, well not exactly eat together since I just keep you company while eating."

                "Huh?"

                "I'm your first friend and best friend." The boy said.

                "...Huh?" Mir was still very much confused and almost gave up on knowing this boy's name when the boy spoke again.

                "I guess it's also my fault for leaving so suddenly and took a long time to finally remember about you. And look... I found already you in this kind of situation. Seriously, can't you keep yourself out of trouble? But... Since I forgot you at one point as well, we're even. Okay, Cheolyong? Still, I want you to remember me on your own."

                Mir blinked. Not many people called him Cheolyong. Even his mother and Rain haven't call him that for the longest time he could remember only except if they're seriously angry at him. Other than that, he couldn't remember anyone who would call him that. And first friend? Who was his first friend?

               

######

 

Rain came back home to the sight of his mother crying silently at the door to Mir's room which was opened widely. First thought that came to Rain's mind was the worst possible scenario. Of him losing Mir for forever.

                Dropping all the things he was holding in his hands, he ran towards his mother, eyes searching into the room, on the bed. Mir was still there. Lying there weakly like he had for these past few months. And as he squinted his eyes, he saw Mir's chest moved with every breath. Everything seemed to be just like it usually had, so why the tears.

                "Umma?"

                The woman turned and granted Rain the first sincere smile from the moment Mir lost into unconsciousness. "Jihoon... Mir is going to wake up." She said and burrowed her smaller frame into Rain's strong arms.

                "What are you saying?" Rain was worried that their mother might had finally lost it after all, but then his eyes caught the image of the new nurse, standing just next to the bed, closing his eyes and his lips were moving as if he was talking to someone.

                "Junho-shi said he might be able to help." His mother pulled away and her teary eyes casted on Junho and Mir with anticipation. "I want to believe him." His mother gathered her hands in front of her face in praying manner. "Please..." She whispered to nothing particular, still looking over the two figures in the room. "Please come back, my baby..."

                Rain stood there, listening as his eyes trained on Junho. His brows slowly pulled together. This seemed like a lie. There was no way suddenly someone came into this house, claiming he could bring Mir back. After these months of time Rain spent searching for a way to bring Mir back with help from Leo and Sanghyuk yet nothing work, suddenly, this man appeared will all smiles saying he was a replacement for Taecyeon and now wanted to bring Mir?

                Junho opened back his eyes and stared at Mir with a smile. "I'm not the only one who want to help." He mused.

                "What do you mean?" Rain asked, stepping into the room with their mother on tow.

                "Someone is helping Mir-shi..." He informed, closing back his eyes as he put a hand on Mir's forehead. "His best friend."

 

#####

 

"Wait!" Mir tugged on the mysterious boy's hand. His eyes wandered around the dark space and confuse frown on his face.

                "What's wrong?"

                "Shh!" Mir hushed the boy and the taller boy clamped shut his mouth, watching over Mir who was trying to focus himself. Another minute of waiting in silence, he could see Mir's face lit up even in the darkness. "Hear that?"

                The other boy tilted his head. "Hear what?"
                "Someone is talking. Wait. He called my name." Mir jumped slightly, feeling quite excited at his found. "Who is that?"

                "I don't hear anything." The boy mumbled, trying to listen of the voice Mir claimed was hearing.

                "It's getting clear. Can't you hear that?" Mir looked up at the taller boy who shook his head slowly. "Are you deaf? It's freaking loud!"

                "Well, I can't hear it!" The other boy retorted sulkily.

                Mir gasped slightly. "He asked me to follow his voice." Mir looked at the other boy hesitantly. "S-should I?"

                "It's not like we have any other guide on where we should go. Lead the way, then." The other boy encouraged.

                Mir squeezed the other boy's hand slightly, still a bit doubtful as he stared through the darkness, making out only the frame of blurry image of the other.

                "Don't worry. I'll stay with you until you find the way home." The boy assured, ruffling Mir's hair.

                "When I found my way, what's going to happen?"

                "You're going back into your body. Back into your old life." The boy excitedly said, smile evident in his voice.

                "What about you?"

                It was silent for a moment before the other boy chuckled in glee. "You're worried about me." He concluded, albeit happily. "Don't sweat it. I'll be looking for you once we got back to our own world. I promise."

                Mir looked weirdly at the boy who had grabbed his finger in a pinkie promise. How weird two teenage boy actually- Wait... Why did this feel so familiar?

                "Cheolyong? Lead the way."

                "Oh... Oh, yea." Mir tugged the boy in the direction of the voice, all the while his gear in his mind was clicking and clacking, opening the drawer of long forgotten memories when suddenly he lost his footing. "Woah!" He yelled, clinging on the other boy's hand.

                "This is it. Make sure to never let that ring slipped off your finger." The boy loosened his hand from around Mir's hand with a really childish smile on his face and it reminded Mir to another smile. He saw it! If he looked closely, he saw the similarity! A much younger face of a small child grinning and looking at him with a pair of bright. There was no mistaken it.

                "Jaejin! It's you!"

                Jaejin looked shocked for a moment before his childish grin appeared again, this time wider than ever. "See you soon, Cheolyong!" With that, he let go of Mir's hand and Mir fall down into an endless hole, looking up to Jaejin who he couldn't see anymore from this distance.

                A loud savage holler of, "NO!" echoed from behind and Mir smirked knowing he had finally won the devil. He escaped... And now... He was going home...