Chapter 4 : Light

Poison Flower (ExoVelvet fic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi was having a hard time deciding...deciding whether she should just go ahead and give the rice cake she already bought as an excuse to enter into Xiumin's house again.

"After all, they are in my neighborhood, at least at the very end of my neighborhood. And neighbors should be nice to their neighbors..." She argued holding the box of rice cakes while she walked up the lane after school in her gym clothes with her back-pack strapped to her back.

She stopped near the tiny white gate and took a deep breathe.

"I already bought this. I don't even like eating rice cakes, so might as well just give them, right?" she spoke to herself and walked in.

She lifted her hand up to knock on the door as the door bell seemed to be missing. And just when she was about to knock, the door flung open and two hands grabbed her inside.

It was Baekhyun. He closed the door behind Seulgi, grabbed the box from her, opened it and started stuffing himself up.

Seulgi was shocked to see him like this.

"Sorry, they haven't fed me since morning. I knew you'd get my telepathic message and bring food. Although, I thought you might bring something like chicken, but rice cake is fine too," Baekhyun spoke with food in his mouth.

"So, your power is telepathy?" Seulgi asked a bit unsure whether he'd reply, and wanting to know because she has not been able to catch on with what Baekhyun's speciality was.

"Haha absolutely not. Although I wish I had a second ability in telepathy like D.O, who is both the 'earth freak' and 'strong man'. I guess it depends on genes mostly. But my ability is...well, it's no fun if I just tell you, is it?"

Seulgi, who was eagerly listening, rolled her eyes at Baekhyun's response. And left Baekhyun to chuckle seeing her reaction.

"Did you guys track down Kai or whoever?" Seulgi asked quite frankly knowing Baekhyun wouldn't take things seriously.

However, Baekhyun widened his eyes and asked back,

"How'd you know that? Ah, it was from the eavesdropping, wasn't it?..."

Seulgi scratched her head, but Baekhyun got closer to Seulgi's ear and continued saying,

"...It's not Kai but we have already tracked down someone else. Lay hyung went to get the one we need to catch Kai. But we tracked down a person who's on the run as we speak. In a little while we'd be leaving to the actual battle field, to get that person and save him from the...hunters," Baekhyun ended in a whisper looking at Seulgi's fascinated face.

"Hunters?" Seulgi whispered back.

Baekhyun nodded and asked, "Are you up for it?"

This was an unexpected invitation, almost like Baekhyun saw her thirst for adventure.

Seulgi asked once more in a whisper, "Actual battle field? Save a person?"

Baekhyun waited for her answer.

She smiled a bit and replied, "Okay"

"Absolutely not!" Xiumin startled both Seulgi and Baekhyun.

"Uh! Why not, hyung? She'll just be in the car! I'll take the full responsibility. Please please?!" Baekhyun started whining.

Seulgi stayed still seeing Xiumin glare at Baekhyun.

"What's happening?" D.O came in, and seeing Seulgi bowed as this was the first time he was meeting her after regaining his memory.

Seulgi bowed back seeing that he looked nothing like a killer anymore.

"He wants her to go with us," Xiumin broke it to D.O as Baekhyun looked away.

"Why?" D.O asked looking at Baekhyun to which Baekhyun retorted in the same tone as D.O, almost imitating him saying,

"Because she's better company than you."

D.O narrowed his eyes while Baekhyun poked his tongue out at him.

"I'd love to help out," Seulgi chimed in.

"See, she'd love to help!" Baekhyun repeated.

"No!" Both Xiumin and D.O exclaimed.

 

***

 

"Wah! Such a lovely day, and after all if Sehun was here he'd say yes. Chen would say yes, Chanyeol would say yes...wow! So many would say yes and the most votes would have won!" Baekhyun said feeling giddy.

"There are also so many who'd say no for sure too," Xiumin said keeping his eyes on the road while he was behind the wheel.

D.O, who was next to Xiumin, shook his head in disapproval seeing Seulgi sitting at the back with Baekhyun. He was even ready to punch Baekhyun across the face at that time back at home, but couldn't do so because Seulgi was there. And Baekhyun's mouth ultimately won, making Xiumin and D.O agree into bringing Seulgi along.

Xiumin drove away from the town into a more forest like area. Seulgi noticed that it was the same car from last night. It looked as if it was punched back into shape. Some windows were missing the glass. She looked out her window to see the sun still up on the sky.

"They are looking for him. He's hiding away. But they are getting closer," D.O said while having his eyes closed.

Seulgi whispered to Baekhyun asking, "Who is he?"

"You'll find out soon," Baekhyun replied leaving Seulgi curious to death.

"What about Lay? Has he found Tao?" Xiumin asked D.O.

After about a minute of silence D.O spoke saying,

"He's still looking for Tao. I can't track down Tao anymore, though. Looks like he's using his powers. Hopefully Lay hyung will find him in the place I tracked him down this morning."

Seulgi watched as Baekhyun took a small card out of his pocket along with a key and handed it to Xiumin.

"Lay hyung told to go to this place if any emergency happens. Apparently it's a doctor he knows," Baekhyun explained while Xiumin looked at it.

"Hopefully nothing like that happens," he said as a reply.

The car drove for longer than Seulgi expected and stopped at a corner once D.O said his okay, making Seulgi even more fascinated by D.O's powers.

Seulgi didn't open her door as she agreed to stay in the car at all times. But Xiumin peeped in while Baekhyun and D.O got ready to enter the forest, and said,

"It's too dangerous to stay here by yourself. Come with us."

This made Seulgi happy more than she thought it would. Surprisingly, she wasn't worried in the slightest.

Both D.O and Baekhyun covered the car with some branches, although it was pretty obvious that there was a car there.

And before she knew it, Seulgi was inside the forest walking beside D.O, with Xiumin in front and Baekhyun at the back.

No one talked. It was just them, the trees and the slight sound of footsteps being heard. Seulgi looked at D.O who was walking with his eyes closed. He suddenly stopped and turned the other way.

Both Xiumin and Baekhyun followed him making Baekhyun drag Seulgi with him. And before they knew it, they were running behind D.O.

They had already entered the battle area.

Seulgi's heart started beating faster as she spotted one of the hunters run off. The face of the hunter was covered with something which seemed like a black mask just covering his face from his forehead up until the tip of his nose.

Chills ran down her back as both she and Baekhyun watched the hunters pack run off from about fifty feet away from them, while they stayed crouched down behind a log.

"That's just a part of the pack. There's more. But according to D.O only half of them are here today. Usually there's one hunter assigned for each one of us," Baekhyun explained.

"Looks like the person they are hunting is harder to catch. He must be very skilled," Seulgi postulated. This made Baekhyun smile and agree saying,

"You are right. Many underestimate him, but he is one of the most powerful, because he's smart. That's why he's even our leader."

Before Seulgi could even ask more questions they were back onto running. And this time she ended up with D.O, who kept on fidgeting.

"Oh no, he's losing it. He's giving up," D.O kept on saying looking at his feet while Seulgi looked ahead seeing Baekhyun and Xiumin peeking from where they were at, amused and worried.

She saw the hunters pack behind a guy who seemed to have stopped near a cliff which was visible just in front them. He was trapped. He looked as if he was in pain. His skin was pale and his eyes were tired. He looked like he was in a big mess.

The three of them watched him suddenly scream his lungs out.

Then there was dead silence. And in a whisk he turned around and started running away from the hunters.

He was running towards the edge of the cliff, and he was running fast.

Seulgi gasped as he, without hesitating even a bit, jumped straight off the cliff.

All four of them ran to see him falling off. They watched him go down and down. Seulgi's blood turned to water as she heard the finally 'thud' almost like a splash.

"Oh no, he died?" Seulgi whispered to which Baekhyun wrapped his palm around and lifted her up for she couldn't feel her legs. It was the first time she saw someone suicide before her eyes.

She didn't even realize that Baekhyun was helping her down a path leading to the river that was below the cliff they were on.

They all moved so swiftly, with D.O updating them each time as to where the hunters were.

They stayed hidden in a small cave for sometime till D.O confirmed that the hunters, whose object was to make sure the prey they were hunting was dead, was nowhere within a hundred mile radius about them.

The sun was setting. The sky was orange as they came out and started going towards the river.

Baekhyun helped Seulgi out of the cave while Xiumin and D.O already went ahead.

"Are they going to get the body?" Seulgi asked in a shaky voice to which Baekhyun looked at her confused.

"Oh! So is that why your knees are weak? You thought he died? Haha..."

Seulgi looked at Baekhyun who laughed.

"...He's not dead. He fell into water. He's very much alive."

"He jumped off that cliff!" Seulgi cracked her voice pointing at the cliff basically up in the sky.

"Don't worry. He's not dead. Water won't kill him. Water will only save him. Because... he's water"

 

***

 

"Hyung...Suho hyung..." Baekhyun slightly slapped the cheek of the person who was passed out on his lap.

Seulgi was on the front passenger seat while D.O and Baekhyun was at the back with Suho, the one who saved himself after jumping off of a cliff, was lying on them.

"Don't wake him up. Let's make sure he's not going to attack us here the first thing he wakes up. There's no Lay hyung as well to heal him. We don't know what he will do to us. Wait till we go to that place Lay hyung told us of," D.O spoke sternly making Baekhyun roll his eyes and imitate him.

Seulgi chuckled seeing Baekhyun, and Baekhyun got a slap right after from D.O.

The car drove up towards the city area and into the borders of Seoul. This made Seulgi remember her childhood which she spent in Seoul. It made her nostalgic. It made her suddenly miss her friend, her best friend, her only friend, her past friend.

The city lights she missed seem to be saying a lovely hello. She spotted a lot of differences since she left, to the point that she didn't even realize that they had already stopped by the road.

The first thing they noticed as they got off the vehicle was that it was a small animal care clinic. And the second thing was that it was closed. All the light were off and it was too dark.

"Let's go in," D.O suggested to which Baekhyun argued saying that it was a place for animals and not for them.

But it seemed like no one listened to him anyway.

Xiumin opened the front door with the key Baekhyun handed to him before, and went back to h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter