Chapter 37 : Heat

Poison Flower (ExoVelvet fic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Silence was what was occupying the air that evening.

But none of the two were exactly big fans of the awkward silence between them.

Wendy kept running her fingers on the small button which opened the window of the car, while Chanyeol let the index finger of his hand resting on the wheel in front tap to a monotonous beat.

"I'm sorry, but you have to speak to me if I'm to let you go today...alive," Chanyeol emphasized towards the end turning to Wendy who was sitting beside him in the passenger seat.

Chanyeol had managed to force Wendy into the car in which he, Suho and Xiumin came to have their lunch in earlier that afternoon. After getting whining Wendy, who kept on berating Chanyeol for destroying her camera using a dirty magic trick which she still hadn't figured out as to how exactly it melted on his hand, Chanyeol drove away leaving back Xiumin and Suho clueless having their lunch, to interrogate Wendy as well as bribe her.

But Wendy was a hard shell to crack. She refused to speak to him about anything of what she does and why she was following them taking pictures for hours that Chanyeol had no choice but to keep her locked inside next to him till the sunset.

"Hey!..." Chanyeol snapped his fingers at Wendy to which she turned her head looking at him after hours of giving him the silent treatment.

"I'm sorry but you don't just snap at me after you destroy my camera and kidnap me right after! Also, give my phone back, YOU ERT!"

"Why are you calling me a ert? You were the one taking pictures of us!..."

"Oh please, I saw you that time I was on your bloody couch unconscious!--"

"You stole my phone that time and I was trying to get it back!...OUCH!"

Wendy had grabbed Chanyeol's hand, which was snapping at her, and she bit his fingers making Chanyeol push her away and cling on to his precious hand with the red teeth marks on them and caress them gently.

Having two people with the same type of resistive energy to talk into getting the work done was difficult, especially if the two were Chanyeol and Wendy. Surprisingly though, none of the two proceeded onto killing the other, and continued on looking away having their mouths tightly shut.

 

 

Meanwhile, Suho was going on a rant about Chanyeol's behavior after he and Xiumin, who got dumped at the place they were having their lunch at, had to take a bus from the city back home and were dead tired.

"We didn't even get to do what we wanted to! What the hell is Chanyeol even thinking?!" Suho shouted once he and Xiumin got home scaring the ones who were peacefully preparing to have their dinner.

"Have you tried calling him?" Lay asked but instead got a death glare from tiny Suho who murmured viciously, "You think I haven't all this time?"

Lay gulped and turned away to help Kris set the table. Sehun, who came to the table with a few cooked dishes, chuckled trying to calm Suho down, "Chill, Suho hyung. I'm sure he'd come back alive. This is Chanyeol hyung we are talking about."

"I don't care if he never returns at this point really. We are lagging behind so much and how can he proceed to steal the keys and disappear without a damn word?!"

 

No one could stop Suho at this point. They partly didn't want to interfere also because dinner time was getting closer, and they didn't want Suho to suddenly make them go to bed without having their dinner; even if, Kris would step up and argue that they should eat, Suho would ultimately even cancel breakfast if Kris were to do that. So, no one actually stepped up to say anything.

 

Sehun kept the dishes he brought in at the center of the table while Jongin helped him with the rest. But Sehun's eyes caught Lay dragging in another chair to have a total of nine chairs at the table.

"Is that for Chanyeol hyung, just in case he makes it in time for dinner?" Sehun asked a bit softly not wanting Suho, who was still going on a rant, to hear.

Sehun waited for Lay's answer with a smile. But his eyebrows narrowed as Lay's face turned a bit bitter.

"What is it?" Sehun asked but soon watched as a figure walked to the dinning table from behind Lay.

 

It had been ages since he saw the person who basically froze the busy dinning room the second he walked in. He smiled, looking a bit worn out. Yet his smile was still so saint-like and affectionate. 

"Hyung..." Sehun let out a mumble seeing him make his way to Sehun slowly and stand next to him. He was shorter than Sehun, so he looked up craning his neck to see dumbstruck Sehun's face and chuckled a bit letting his hand weakly pat Sehun's back.

"Sehun-ah, long time no see, eh?"

Luhan, who made an unexpected appearance at the dinner table, had everyone a bit too surprised. Some were happy and some were not entirely sure as to what was going on. 

Suho stopped shouting once they all sat down for dinner. Luhan originally took a seat next to Sehun but Sehun got pushed to another seat by D.O, who sat beside Luhan to his right (with Lay occupying the left). Kris, who was being a dork, spilled a curry on the table the second he took a seat and once again the ones at the table stood up to clean the mess, and got back to finally actually have dinner a good fifteen minutes later.

 

The dinner table was loud, as usual, with different people engaging in different conversations. 

Suho had once again remembered about Chanyeol and was complaining to Jongin, who was sitting next to him and was, as usual, quiet during dinner time. At one point Jongin covered his ear which was facing Suho and just nodded away. Xiumin and Kris were complimenting on D.O's new dish. Okay well, Xiumin was complimenting and Kris was trying to get D.O to crack while saying horrible jokes to which D.O glared and even at one point threatened him. Baekhyun, who was having a bit of a rough night going back and forth from the toilet, was discussing about his urinary system with Lay who was trying to eat in peace but was holding it in each time Baekhyun complained saying the color of his piss kept changing. It was chaos. But it was normal.

Sehun, who was unbelievably quiet, looked up to see Luhan enjoying his dinner sitting next to Lay and laughing to what Baekhyun was saying looking at Lay's face turn blue.

He smiled seeing his beloved hyung back to normal. He didn't know why Luhan was here though, whether he was completely healed by Lay or whether something else was going on but he was glad yet he was worried.

However, Sehun's face turned sad as he remembered what Luhan said that one morning when he went down to visit him just after Lay had healed Luhan the time they first brought Luhan home. Sehun hid behind the door leading to the basement and overheard Lay mentioning to Luhan how he was hunting down Sehun and even stabbed him once. It shook Luhan that time. He begged Lay not to let Sehun come down to the basement for he couldn't bear to see Sehun's face after pushing his life to the edge like that. Sehun listened to Lay say that it wasn't Luhan's fault yet Luhan was insistent and made Lay promise not to let Sehun come near him for he was too ashamed.

But here Luhan was having dinner with everyone happily. Yet, it was somehow Sehun who was finding himself speechless.

Sehun saw through Luhan right away after sometime. He saw that despite acting friendly Luhan was still avoiding him. Like he couldn't still look at Sehun like he used to. But that was least of Sehun's worries right now.

He saw how much pain Luhan was going through and trying to hide it with his wide grin. The slight flinching from time to time and the heavy breathing made Sehun more worried. Even with all the distractions Sehun still saw Lay holding onto Luhan as if he was constantly healing him and keeping him sane. Sehun was even getting mad looking at Luhan trying his best to blend in even when it was perfectly obvious that Luhan was not himself. The two were probably the most close out of them all. So, Sehun just knew everything just by Luhan's movements and he knew he didn't want Luhan to be in pain on purpose like this.

Luhan caught Sehun sneaking glances and looked up at him with a smile. 

Sehun, who gave in sneaking looks, smiled back and watched Luhan open his mouth and mumble something. He didn't hear it the first time because Baekhyun was awkwardly howling trying to show something to Lay but the second time around he heard him.

"What's up? How's everything going?" 

Sehun answered giving a nod, "Good."

Luhan leaned in to continue the conversation when suddenly Suho stood up and called everyone grabbing their attention.

"Alright guys, I have to say something..." no one listened the first time around so Suho slammed the table with the empty cup next to him till they all focused on him, "...I have to say something very important so listen up, please. You must be wondering why Luhan is here after all these days, right? Well, it's great that we are so close to gathering everyone together but that also means we can get trapped very easily..."

"My idea," Kris commented and gestured Suho to carry on.

"...So I think it's time for us to separate out. We can't be together like this anymore. I brought in Luhan today to announce this and also since we will be going out of here some of you will have to get used to Luhan and his...um..condition."

"Wait, is today the last day we'll be spending here?" Baekhyun asked shooting his hand up in the air uncomfortably.

"Uh no no. But we will be moving out in a few days," Suho answered right away to which Baekhyun sighed in relief.

"That's great, really. My stomach is not at it's best condition anyway," Baekhyun laughed uncomfortably and looked away seeing Suho glare at him.

"Where will we be going?" D.O asked in his low voice making the others look to Suho for the answer.

"Um...A couple of you will be heading to the city side while another bunch will go to the country side. I'm still deciding whether some of you will be staying here or leaving to a different place."

"Can we choose where we want to go?" Baekhyun asked again.

"No..." Suho replied coldly, "...I have already asked Xiumin and Lay to look into grouping everyone so that everyone will be safe within their groups incase the hunters decide to show up...Any other questions?"

"What about Chen hyung?" Sehun, who barely spoke the entire time, asked away.

"Hopefully we'll get to him," was Suho's half hearted answer.

"And Tao?" Luhan too asked away about the two who were left to be found while they were at it.

To this Suho stayed silent and mumbled something to which everyone just decided to ignore and go ahead finishing their dinner. But Lay and Baekhyun who froze the minute Luhan mentioned Tao's named remained petrified till Lay decided to whisper to Baekhyun's ear asking,

"Should we say something?" 

But Baekhyun stayed still as a rock making Lay just assume it was a "dead no".

 

***

 

"I don't trust you," Chanyeol lowered his voice and let out a whisper.

"Then we can go back to the car till you are fully mentally prepared to accept that this is the only way," Wendy coughed back looking into Chanyeol's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter