Chapter 27 : Turn of events

Poison Flower (ExoVelvet fic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a cold morning. 

The glass of the windows seemed opaque and the freezing cold seemed to be already felt coming through the glass even if it seemed impossible.

Baekhyun let his finger run on it hoping he'd draw something turning the mist to water, but nothing happened leaving him to turn around and face Xiumin who was attempting make breakfast.

 

"Hyung, shouldn't you be controlling the temperature?" Baekhyun asked holding on to his jacket he had to wear right after Suho woke him up and warned him not to go to the couch and sleep again. He did go to the couch to sleep but immediately turned back seeing D.O sitting there with a book on his hand.

So, Baekhyun ended up annoyingly accompanying Xiumin into the kitchen.

 

"I shouldn't be always be messing with nature, you know. Let the natural things happen as it is ; like for example, you should be naturally getting ready to go to school or D.O will mess with you,"

Xiumin answered going back to focusing on what he was doing.

 

"Argh...I shouldn't be going back to that place. I have nothing to do there but keep an eye on a person who is judging me every step I take," Baekhyun whined and went back to looking out the window.

"Seulgi will be here with the delivery sooner or later. Get ready so you can go to school with her," Xiumin suggested to which Baekhyun shook his head and answered,

"Nope, not today...Today is definitely not the day for it," Baekhyun said seeing a tiny figure come closer to the tiny white gate outside and he moved away so she wouldn't see him.

 

 

 

Seulgi was already onto her last delivery.

 

She picked up the two milk packets and looked up at the house she's been visiting every morning. The house seemed so different to back when she first started delivering. She smiled seeing how she had come so far. Back then she feared coming to deliver here but now she felt content just seeing it from the outside. This place had changed here perspective of life. She felt more free than of the trapped girl who feared everyone from before.

 

She jumped over the white gate and entered the still beautiful garden with fewer flowers than of before, but still fresh and lovely.

She walked up to the front door and placed the two packets on the floor looking up at the door that had opened countless times grabbing her inside when she least expected it to.

She secretly hoped it would happen today as well, for the first time in a long time she felt like her birthday would be something special.

 

She waited with a smile on her face but it never happened. The door stood there looking cold and lifeless.

She sighed but understood that there was no way the residents of the house would know it was her birthday. She nodded with an understanding heart and turned around.

She walked back through the garden and out of the gate to grab the handle of her small cart and take a final look at the place.

 

 

Baekhyun watched her leave feeling his heart sink as she looked back with a sad face.

 

"Aigoo, do we have to do this?" Xiumin asked sneaking a look from behind Baekhyun to which Baekhyun stayed silent.

 

 

 

Seulgi wasn't totally upset, though. She dumped her small cart and made her way to school having her fingers tracing the small ring hanging from the necklace around her neck.

For some weird reason after she went to bed, pretty late too that was, last night with it around her neck, she felt so refreshed the second she woke up that morning; even when she only slept for three hours. 

She looked at the small amethyst stone twinkle reflecting the sun rays as they hit it.

She smiled knowing that Jongin was waiting in school to see of she had the necklace on and she was feeling excited.

 

 

But she got her hopes up in vain for once she went to school, she found no Jongin waiting for her.

She nodded thinking he'd probably find her during the school hours, but it turned out to be more of a hide and seek game, for whenever Seulgi spotted him he just ran away from her.

 

She was surprised. She was trying to think why he'd do so. Ultimately, as the final bell rang for them to go back home, she quickly ran out of her class, down the stairs and stayed right in front at the bottom of the stairs ready to catch him.

She stood there crossing her arms getting glances from some of her schoolmates, for it was rare finding the loner do these sort of things.

 

And finally she spotted Jongin, Baekhyun and Taemin make their way down the stairs to her.

They were laughing at something Baekhyun said but as soon as Baekhyun met Seulgi's eye he fell silent following the other two to freeze with him.

They stayed like that for sometime before Baekhyun suddenly coughed and turned to Jongin to whisper him something. Seulgi watched them narrowing her eyes and watched them slowly climb down the stairs and come to her.

 

 

"Annyong!" Baekhyun greeted her happily yet looked away seeing her just give a cold look back, "Seulgi-ah, we are so sorry, okay?"

 

The following sentence left Seulgi confused only to find that the next second all three of them started running past her like the wind.

Her gaze followed them running away clumsily. Baekhyun tripped halfway through making Jongin fall over him.

However, they seemed to be enjoying it because they laughed so loud while getting back onto their feet and poof! they were gone.

 

Seulgi narrowed her brows feeling humiliated, angry and disappointed.

 

Maybe because the whole situation of everyone trying to avoid her she felt a bit sad as she started walking back home that she even stopped at certain places and gazed at the sky just killing the time.

 

The sun was already setting as she reached home. She was so sure her mother was getting ready to leave for her night shift. She guessed that they probably had a small cake prepared and right after she blows the candles she was prepared to lock herself in her room.

She walked up to the front door to suddenly freeze hearing someone whisper loudly from inside.

It sounded like Baekhyun's voice but there were more whispers coming making her wonder who those were.

Then she thought for a second. The slight thought whether they were indeed just avoiding her because they were preparing something occurred and she smirked saying,

"Wasn't that a bit too obvious?"

 

 

Nevertheless, she opened the door to walk into a dark room. But it only took a few seconds before the lights came on and there were heaps of confetti thrown everywhere at her that made her close her eyes a multiple times before she opened them to realize there was a giant pink cake in front of her nose with a bundle of candles stuck together at the center and burning making her feel the heat on her face.

Everyone started singing a happy birthday. There were probably thousands of voices. She couldn't see who everyone was because she was ready to blow out all the candles the minute they were done singing.

She smiled as they all started clapping and she started to blow out the candles.

But the more she blew not one of them were planning on going out. It was large bundle of candles so she needed to blow out with more strength and she did so, but there was a split second difference before all the candles suddenly went out, and then she saw that it was Baekhyun who was holding the cake onto her face.

Baekhyun, however, noticed that the candles didn't get blown out by Seulgi, who was struggling with them before. And so he eyed the one who was responsible and was avoiding his gaze standing next to him.

Sehun, who was avoiding Baekhyun, moved away letting Seulgi's mother come closer to Seulgi.

"Seulgi-ah..." she gave a hug to her daughter following Baekhyun to chime in saying,

"Adjumma prepared all of this for you."

Baekhyun then moved away for Seulgi to see that everyone of the residents of the mysterious house were present including Jongin and Taemin who were at a corner smiling at her.

"I took today off j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter