Chapter 32 : Dying inside

Poison Flower (ExoVelvet fic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night was chilly yet warmer than the winter's. It was spring after all.

 

The ones at the mysterious house gathered up in the kitchen. They stood in a line in front of the small kitchen table and kept staring at the person gobbling up food sitting there.

There was pin drop silence. Only the slight slurping sounds of the giant figure, cramped up into a chair uncomfortably, eating the food prepared by Xiumin was heard.

 

"Take it slow. You might end up hiccuping," Baekhyun mumbled seeing Chanyeol gulp down the rice in the bowl in front of him.

Suho nudged him and got Baekhyun to shut up. The rest of the gang stood next to Suho holding buckets of water behind their backs. Lay had predicted that Chanyeol would go wild again before waking up, but here he was eating dinner in front of them. The rest were scared. They didn't want Chanyeol to burn down the house for real this time around. Since he's awake it would be harder for them to control him if he decides to unleash his wrath.

 

Chanyeol put down the empty rice bowl he was holding up against his nose making a loud sound. He then sighed deeply and twisted his head looking at his mates standing beside him like a giant wall.

"Can a man just eat his dinner in peace?" His deep voice spoke clearly for the first time.

 

"No one's bothering you," Baekhyun blurted out, but had to hold in his scream after Suho nudged him painfully from one side and D.O pinch him from the other.

 

"Why are you all staring at me like I'm going to run away from this house?!..." Chanyeol raised his voice standing up but Suho gestured him to sit back down right after.

"...This is getting ridiculous, you know? I couldn't even pee in peace having that guy watch me while I was in the bathroom," Chanyeol pointed at D.O, who stayed unfazed.

 

"Calm down, Chanyeol-ah. You need to stay calm," Suho said with a soothing sweet voice trying to control the tensed up atmosphere but Chanyeol got even more annoyed.

"I AM CALM!"

This was the time someone would burst out screaming back at Chanyeol. But no one did. They knew that raising their voice would trigger the beast within Chanyeol, who woke up boggled to see himself at Xiumin's place with the rest of his mates at the side of his bed. He asked as to what he was doing here but no one dared move their mouths.

The tall skinny figure grumped and thrashed down the chopsticks he was holding onto the table startling half of the gang. 

"Why don't you tell me why I'm here all of a sudden and why you guys are watching my every move?--"

"We'll tell you when the time comes--" Lay butted in.

"Well, it's about time!...You know what?..." Chanyeol stood up once more, this time in a hurry, grabbed a jacket hanging by the chair next to him although it was not his, "...I'm done! Until you guys tell me what's going on, I will not step inside this house."

Suho tried stopping Chanyeol from proceeding but he just slipped away from Suho and was about to walk to the front door when D.O got ahold of his shoulder.

D.O was about to knock Chanyeol out. But Chnayeol grabbed back D.O's hand in a split second. D.O felt his hand begin to feel warmer and he knew it was just a matter of time before he'd have a burnt hand. Chanyeol's trick made D.O drawback.

Sneaky Chanyeol was freed from D.O's grip and before anyone could get to him, he was gone. Leaving the rest of them to stare at the half open front door moving slightly to the wind blowing.

 

"Why does everyone decide on rebelling against us whenever we find them?!" Suho squeaked and sighed deeply in frustration.

Xiumin asked whether they should go ahead and follow Chanyeol but Suho shook his head instead.

"Let him be. He'll come around. He doesn't know this place anyway, he'll be back in the morning. D.O, keep an eye on him, please," Suho ordered to which D.O nodded.

 

It wasn't easy for them. It was already hard trying to bring everyone home one by one, but having to get them back to normal and trying to get them to stay was becoming more complicated than it should be.

"Why does Chanyeol hyung have to be so stubborn? Why can't he just go with it?" Sehun questioned standing next to D.O, who stood next to the window looking outside at the lonely road.

"I remember when you came around as well. You didn't want to even go near Seulgi's house before..."

Sehun gulped remembering how he argued and troubled his hyungs back then when they asked him to do something. D.O turned to Sehun and continued to ask with a sneaky smile.

"...I wonder what made you change your mind?"

 

Sehun tried avoiding D.O's gaze for he had already figured out that D.O knew something about him. And if he showed that whatever D.O knew was correct, he was certain that D.O would hold it against him when the time comes. And he didn't want that to happen. 

But most of all he didn't want D.O to see that he missed it. He missed staying at that empty house waiting for either the mother or the daughter to show up. Now that he remembered, he hadn't been able to cook a decent meal for them like he promised either. And they were just gone. He missed laughing along with the two ladies, he missed nagging to Mrs.Kang, he missed fighting over food with Seulgi and he missed protecting her at night. He missed it dearly.

 

***

 

 

Seulgi couldn't believe she was seeing the face that had her up on her feet all through last evening, the very next day.

She barely got off her bed and was making her way to the kitchen when she heard a loud distinctive voice giggle loudly. She peeked to see her mom near the door...talking to Wendy addressing her by her normal name 'Seung Wan'.

Seulgi made a face and sighed seeing her. It wasn't like she was already tired of seeing her friend's face just after their second meeting after their reunion. It was more because of all the craziness she had to go through because of her. And this time too she was sure that Wendy was stopping by to get a head start to ruin Seulgi's perfect Saturday meant to be spent studying and doing homework she was supposed to do last night.

"Oh ma gosh! Seulgi, you are finally up!" Wendy crashed her way into the house leaving Mrs. Kang to close the door after her.

Seulgi nodded yet went straight to the kitchen smelling a good breakfast without taking time to actually even glance at Seung Wan who began to just follow Seulgi around.

It wasn't until Ji Yeon made some breakfast for Wendy and disappeared seeing the two girls sitting down at the table and eating, did Seung Wan lower her voice and whisper to Seulgi.

"How was yesterday? I forgot to even ask you last night."

Seulgi blinked back as an answer as if she had no idea what Seung Wan was talking about.

"You know...the fortune telling ," Wendy tried coming more clear.

Seulgi sighed and replied, "Remember you threatened me with a plastic spoon not to tell anyone anything or you'll cut my throat with it?"

Wendy gulped. "Well, it was a joke, dude."

"It sounded way too serious."

Seulgi went back to eating while Wendy adjusted her seat a bit and bent over to Seulgi with a huge smile plastered on her face.

"Come on, Seul. I was just, you know, being funny... and a bit cautious at the same time. But well, I didn't come today to make sure you keep your mouth shut or anything anyway—"

"I'm not coming with you to that place again. No way! That woman is probably a big fat lie... Ha! throwing a bunch of chicken bones in the air and predicting my future by trying to get me to trust her while she tries to figure out who I am while making me answer her questions myself. You are being fooled, Seung Wan! Don't ever go there," Seulgi stated in the most sarcastic way possible. She had come to a conclusion that Seung Wan probably already knew that, hence she spoke as she wished.

"Ah! We are not going there today...Listen to me will you? You are my friend, aren't you?..."

Seulgi narrowed her eyes.

"...Friends help each other out...If you didn't know that...But yeah, well, I need your help."

"In doing what? Opening up a fortune telling business?"

"What? No!...I need your help to find someone. I need to find this person. He is my last chance to...um...get back my dignity. Please! PLEASE?!"

"Find someone? A boyfriend to help you fund your fortune telling business?" Seulgi smirked. The Seung Wan she knew was different and way more timid than the Wendy she was talking to now. She spoke her mind without thinking twice, without bothering about hurting anyone's feelings.

"Oh! Ha ha! He's worth much more than just a mere boyfriend, my dear friend," Wendy smirked back leaving Seulgi to stare blankly at her.

 

 

Seulgi didn't want to say okay but it was not until when she was sitting on a bus with Wendy next to her, did she realize that Wendy had somehow managed to make her say "ok..ay". 

This was beginning to irritate her now. She had left home early in the morning leaving her mother to think that Seulgi had finally found someone to spend her Saturdays having fun. But that was not the case, and she wished she had the guts to just stop the bus and walk back home.

She looked at Wendy snoring on the seat next to her.

She then looked ahead at the small screen to see that the bus was still only half way there to their destination.

Seulgi scoffed at passed out Wendy.

"If I didn't live there before I wouldn't be on this bus anyway now, would I?"

They were on a bus to Seulgi's previous home. Things did seem unexplainable before but as soon as Seulgi saw she was going back to her previous town, she knew that Wendy didn't just come to her because she merely wanted a friend to accompany her. This was supposed to make Seulgi disappointed that not even her supposedly 'old friend' genuinely wanted to have a heart to heart. But instead, she was having tingly feelings and butterflies were trying to enter into her stomach.

 

Will I get to see them?

 

She just thought for a second but shook her head in reply and sighed.

"It's best if I don't show up in front of them."

 

 

It wasn't long before Seulgi was standing on familiar roads again with Wendy, circling about her trying to figure out where to go first. 

Wendy had a map in her hand and she was constantly speaking to herself having her phone out on her hand and extremely confused.

Seulgi took it all in. She was standing in the middle of the cross walk where barely any vehicles came by at that time of Saturdays. She looked around at the familiar buildings and streets. The memories both unpleasant and sweet where flooding back. But she stopped there trying to control her mind from taking over, and turned to Wendy, who squat down on the road and placed her map neatly on the ground.

 

"Where should we go first?" Seulgi asked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter