Chapter 15 : Trust

Poison Flower (ExoVelvet fic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night was strangely peaceful. The shimmer of the moon that got covered by the clouds was still bright enough for D.O to see.

He closed the window and locked it. He turned to see Kai, his beloved friend, sleeping so soundly on the bed.

He felt his heartbeat, the vibrations traveling through the earth. 

He was glad that Kai was back. He was so glad that Kai was back with them. But he knew that Kai couldn't stay with them, at least not yet.

 

D.O wasn't the only one who was happy yet frustrated and tired. He wasn't the only one feeling a mixture of emotions.

 

Seulgi, who got back home after traveling through thin air with Jongin was dead tired.

Right after Sehun dragged her into the house she got scolded by her mother for coming in late. She listened to her mother rant and finally walked away after she instructed her daughter to wash up and come to eat dinner.

 

The three at the Kang residence sat down at the dinning table. Since Ji Yeon and Sehun have already had their dinner they accompanied Seulgi while she had hers.

 

Seulgi thought they were rather disturbing her than of actually accompanying.  Especially Sehun, whose personality had taken a rather deep twist, she couldn't really keep up with his lame jokes. Her mother laughed for even the tiniest thing Sehun said but Seulgi wasn't even bothered to even glance at him.

 

Sehun on the other hand was being sneaky. He had Ji Yeon entertained. He also peeled a dozen of oranges for Ji Yeon to eat. And at the same time was silently laughing seeing Seulgi dozing off with food under her chin that he was so sure she'd end up having her face in the bowl of rice in front of her.

 

"Oh Sehun, since when did you become this much of a comedian?" Ji Yeon asked holding onto her stomach.

"Actually I'm more of a great prankster," Sehun answered back with quite the flare.

 

Ji Yeon toned down a bit and asked again catching up with Sehun's words, "Really? So I suppose you are... remembering something then?"

Sehun froze.   Idiot... 

"I think I'd be a great prankster. Don't you think so?--"

 

Both Sehun and Ji Yeon turned their heads hearing the kettle hoot, and Ji Yeon immediately stood up and went away.

With Ji Yeon taking off Sehun turned to have his eyes widen seeing Seulgi ready to dive into the bowl of rice with the tip of her nose already touching the top grain.

"AHEM!" Sehun coughed out loud with a bang on the table making Seulgi shoot right up with her eyes so widely open.

Sehun watched as Seulgi's sleepy eyes stare on for a moment, and without a word she immediately went back to eating, much rather picking on her food again.

 

"So um..." Sehun adjusted himself on the tiny chair turning to Seulgi attempting to carry out the first ever conversation with the girl who had his heart race a couple of hours ago. He wasn't shy, that was for sure.

"...I guess we haven't met before" he ended with a whisper.

He watched as sleepy Seulgi took her time to chew the food in and finally look at him with the corner of her eye.

He felt his heart strings being pulled.

"No...We've met. It's just that you were extremely quiet back then and now you just run your mouth like that's the best thing and the only thing you can do."

Sehun blinked at her comment while Seulgi stared at him for a moment.

Sehun snorted, "Well, you sure ain't fan of someone being friendly to you"

"No, I'm just not a fan of noisy people. Shut your mouth before I shove this piece of bread down your throat"

 

Sehun gulped while Seulgi grabbed the piece, but thank God for Ji Yeon who came back or Sehun would have had to look forward to a very hard night with a piece of bread stuck down his throat and he would have to call his hyungs, who would sigh in deep frustration first, and then come to grab the piece out of Sehun's throat. On second thought D.O would rather make the others not come to Sehun's rescue and then Sehun would have to suffer through alone till the piece of bread becomes soft enough to be pushed through to his stomach. 

 

"Yah Kang Seulgi! How can you eat so slowly? You want me to stay up all night?!" Ji Yeon shouted seeing that Seulgi had barely touched her food.

The exhaustion in Seulgi's body took over her mind and soon Seulgi found herself throwing the chopsticks away, pushing the chair out, making it fall with a bang, and storming out of the kitchen and into her room within seconds.

Sehun jumped on his seat as the last loud bang of Seulgi's door echoed through the Kang residence.

 

Ji Yeon sighed deeply.

"Adjumma, let me help you clean up--," Sehun said seeing that Ji Yeon wasn't in a good mood either.

"I do everything for that child. I work overnight, try to make money, just to make sure she lives at a better place when she's my age. And what does she do?...How can she act like this every time?..."

Sehun lowered his gaze listening to Ji Yeon and soon he moved to her and hugged her patting her head slowly with his hand.

"I think she was just tired, Adjumma. We do things when we are tired and when we just need rest, don't we?"

 

Sehun's heart sank listening to Ji Yeon sob. It suddenly reminded him of his mother back in his reality. He wondered what she was doing? Whether she was missing him, sobbing over not seeing him, for he ran away from home at an early age after a massive argument with his father.

He was feeling like he should at least take a step in taking care of Ji Yeon. Even though she was not his mother, he felt as if he should at least look after her for she was already like his mother in this reality.

 

***

 

Suho ran up the stairs.

The morning sunlight was creeping into the mysterious house through the always tightly shut windows. 

"Suho"

Suho heard Yixing's whisper, and soon found himself with the rest of the people in the house all clustered together at the door to Kai's room.

 

"He's awake...," D.O said while having his hand on the door knob, "...Do not push him to answer."

And with a warning D.O opened the door revealing a Kai who was up on his feet and trying to get into his shoes.

 

Kai looked up seeing the crowd in his room.

He bowed. All of them just stared at him while Lay, who was afraid Kai would teleport again if he got closer to him, was at the far end of the room.

"Kai, we just wanted to know if you are feeling okay?" D.O took the lead.

Kai nodded while he stared on at Suho for he remembered him from his recurring dreams from before.

"You know Kai, Lay healed almost all of us here back to ourselves. We tried healing you last night but your body didn't let us. You have to tell yourself that's it is going to be okay when Lay gets closer to you so we can heal you and have you back," Suho just blurted out everything what he wanted to say while D.O nudged Suho towards the end.

"What he means is that this is not you, Kai. We--" D.O started talking again when Kai looked up at him and spoke with a straight stable voice.

 

"It's Jongin. I know that you guys call me Kai but I'm more used to Jongin. Anyway, Ddeulgi and the old man explained to me about this whole thing a dozen times over...but I still think I need time to think this through. I'm sorry, I understand that all of you are concerned for "Kai". But I remember being Jongin. I just don't want to walk into something being completely clueless. And it was just two days ago or so that I found out that I can disappear from one place and appear at another. I'm deeply sorry, but I think I should leave now."

 

Jongin's words left everyone speechless. Especially D.O, who was up all night thinking of how to break down everything to Jongin so he would understand the situation.

 

They were all too shocked that they just watched him grab his jacket, tie his shoe laces and bow again apologizing.

"I'll take off then," Jongin said and walked to them so they'd part and give him space to leave the room.

"Jongin..." Xiumin spoke after being silent all this time, "...I hope you won't forget you are Kai and keep thinking this through until you are ready to come back to us. Remember we are here for you."

 

Xiumin's words made Jongin give a slight nod

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter