Chapter 9

Pink Roses

[JIYEON’S POV]

 

My special day has now come to an end, and it ended so well. Though my parents felt weird of me inviting Hyomin together to celebrate with, I still could clearly see their lively and thankful smiles on their faces. Yes, it made them happy like that knowing their child now have a friend to hang out with, I guess. Having such a supportive and lovable family, having them by my side, being healthy, and having Hyomin who understands me so well is enough to call this birthday as a blast one. Usually my family would have those lame parties at home, plays games with the three of us, it may be not that great for others but for me it is.

 

 

Having this kind of feeling of being loved is such a great gift I wanted to receive. Especially now that I have a friend, whom I wanted for so long has been granted. The one who knew my secret and a friend whose kind, though she’s acting didn’t care for things surround her every time. I am still thankful about that.

 

 

I took a bus since its time to go, bringing the pink rose with me all the time. People would think someone gave me this since I always have it every morning while I’m on my way to campus. The passengers were not that many, only a few but I still could sense they were looking at me while smiling. There’s this time someone did asked and I just did answered her with a yes. Well it’s not like they really wanted to know about it.

 

 

Exams were coming so students nowadays needed some notes to review; though I wasn’t that really prepared since I’m the type who’s going to study a one last minute. Such a nice example I am to my juniors, but I couldn’t do anything about me being not that nerd and only would do study at home when I feel like I wanted to.

 

 

“Did you get to copy those notes our chemistry teacher gave?”  I asked slowly sliding onto empty seat beside this lovely girl.

 

“Yeah I did. But I left it at home.” Hyomin answered.

 

“We only have one and a half week to get ready; I wonder how I will survive again.” a small chuckle came out from my mouth.

 

“You should study so you could reach passing mark. I once did procrastinate so it ended badly.” Hyomin digs her chopsticks on her lunch box, picking some then placed it on .

 

“I only study the day before the exam starts.”

 

“And then you’ll get to forget them everything after?”

 

 

I gaze at her, she was really serious.

 

 

“Uhm.. Kind of?” I laugh awkwardly.

 

“Well, memorizing those won’t help you. Why won’t you understand it then instead?” now the brunette smiled, it made me mesmerize a bit.

 

 

Her smiles could hypnotize anyone, and I strongly bet that. It was her trademark the same as what I’d seen on her display photo on SNS. I wanted to ask her account ID (as if I never ever knew it) but I was way too shy to. I was her friend and she did acknowledge me as I am to hers – it made me happy for some reason.

 

 

I smiled back then start to open my lunch box. I lifted my face only to see Soyeon holding a tray with food on; looking around like she was looking for vacant seats. I was about to wave my hands at her to let her sit on in front – she do knew me anyways; it won’t feel awkward to her.

 

But then I can’t especially she laid her eyes on me then narrowed on the left side. Myself knew she actually did that, I just then thought I wasn’t that special to hers. Yup she did come closer to her best friend; Qri was more special compared to me. Well, what was I to her, right?

 

 

“May I ask something?” the brunette beside me retorted so I turned my head on her.

 

“Sure.”

 

“Are they best friends?”

 

I turned back to where Soyeon is since Hyomin pointed them out. I nodded saying it was a yes then a silence came after. I focused too much to them having lunch together; but there’s something weird about it. Soyeon’s expression was so serious and worried at the same time, why is that?

 

 

“Did something bad happened?” I asked myself but not that loud just enough to make Hyomin hear it.

 

“What?”

 

“She seems problematic or something?” I ask again, this time to her.

 

 

Hyomin avoided my stare but I didn’t bother it that much. Maybe they fought or had some misunderstandings. Every friendship has that thing, right?

 

 

Our last class will start in a few minutes; I was in my classroom waiting for Hyomin. She was doing her stuff in comfort room, and I wanted to ask her about our presentation for I don’t want mental block to strike on me – since I did memorize the add-ons information onto our assigned chapter she’d gave. I do hate it, history and whatsoever it is but she let me not to. She was just a great classmate and a tutor to have.

 

 

I glimpsed at the hallway and saw Soyeon with her best friend – smiling to each other as they talk something they’re interested to. My worries seeing my crush’s expression at the cafeteria recently suddenly faded away. Now I get to see her smiles again, maybe they sort out things they’d argue or something like that. And now I don’t need to worry about her, it was enough seeing what she is right now. I could now clear my mind about it and focus on my report then.

 

My lovely groupmate came, coming near me from outside while I was preparing our visual aids to present. Hyomin smiled, yeah she did. I smiled back of course, then that moment I had just realize her genuine and the cheerful of her with that trademark again – but this time I don’t know, should I say I was impress onto her with those stunning eye smiles. I was never wrong, that that thing from her could melt people’s heart.

 

 

And I wasn’t exceptional.

 

 

“Our turn will start soon..” I sat beside her since the others were busy preparing their own, “I usually trembles when I’m in front of the class.”

 

“You do hated reporting, am I right?”

 

“Nah, you shouldn’t ask that its way too obvious.” I answered straight forwardly.

 

“Just relax. You can do it anyways; we gave so much effort about this. I know you can do it.” she wrinkled her nose, I don’t know but every time she did that I squealed inside.

 

“As if they would listen,” I added heaving a sigh “I mean look at them, our teacher doesn’t even care.” then points out Eunjung who’s talking to that Boram making some cartooned drawings on her notebook.

 

“What else we can do, right?” the brunette then tapped my back, “at least we had learned something out of it.”

 

 

She smiled again. Why is she smiling all the time on me? She would usually give me that straight face on her every time but this time it was completely different.

 

 

“So for now let’s listen to the others too, and prepare some questions.”

 

“Questions? I’m afraid they would ask us back then if we would.” I spat in frighten.

 

“Don’t worry, I would help you out.”

 

 

I keep myself relax as what Hyomin told me to. She was right, we studied about it so hard and I know she would do a great job about it. The brunette even said ‘fighting’ on me. Though it was in a small tone but I could tell on how supportive she was towards me. I never heard that word to a friend before, now I got to and it feels so great. It cheered me up.

 

 

The class session was about to end, and here we are standing in front discussing things we knew to our classmates. I felt the tension on me, and damn these hands trembling while I pointed something on the board or wrote something. I think about my friend's advice a while ago so I gain courage and face them while I uttered my last paragraph and ended it with all my best.

 

 

Well, they clapped their hands since our teacher told them to. I felt relief and thankful to Hyomin so much. Everything ended so well after.

 

 

We bid our goodbyes and made my way home. It was a nice day, a great day to remember. My mom was busy preparing some dinner, wearing that apron but I could still see her outfit last morning before she left to work, I guess. I sat in front of a dining table and leaned my chin on my palm. You could tell I was happy, I’m always happy when I came back home.

 

“How’s school Jiyeon?” my mom ask, putting the main dish on the table “did everything went well?”

 

“It was mom. It was really great that I could smile the entire day.” I replied, chuckled.

 

“It seems like my daughter is in love,” my mom guessed “who is that huh?”

 

“Here you go again. Don’t ask me the same question when you know I don’t have one.” I lied pouting.

 

“Then what makes you smile ear to ear like that?”

 

 

 

It was our success presentation, I thought it won’t turn out well since I’m no good but I’m wrong.

 

 

I was scrolling on my newsfeed on my SNS account, gulping the milk my mom prepared. I log it off and stood up when boredom dominate me, went my way to my cozy bed and released a relief sigh before closing my eyes. I moved my body on the right side as I could hear my phone’s message tone. It was from Hyomin’s so I quickly tapped it and excitingly read those.

 

 

From: Hyomin

I was curious so I messaged you up.

Did you, by any chance, took my

history notebook at school?

 

 

I changed my position to a comfortable one; tapped the message field and typed those letters I wanted her to read. I’m such a great borrower who forgot to ask permission to the owner. Would she be mad about it?

 

 

To: Hyomin

Ahmm yeah, yeah I got it.

Sorry I didn’t asked that,

I’m just hella nervous a while

     ago from that presentation. >.<

 

 

I bit my lip staring at our conversation thread. I realized this is our second conversation since we had our first last week. I waited for a minute, and then luckily she did reply with a smiley emoticon.

 

 

From: Hyomin

It’s okay. You did a great job there! :)

 

 

Though short I’m still happy about it. That night we made a long conversation till I neglected time and enjoyed myself from it. We talked about random stuff, about flowers we’re interested to. Perhaps this similarity we had could make us closer from friends to best friends; I couldn’t wait but to imagine it would happen to us.

 

 

How I wish.

 

~~~

 

Here you go! Sorry for keeping you wait >.<