Chapter 32

Pink Roses

“Hello?”

 

“Hi mom! I’m sorry I didn’t leave a message last few days. Been busy at the café,” I reasoned out, sighing.

 

“You know your dad would always ask about you but it’s okay, no much worries.”

 

“How’s dad?”

 

“Nah he’s fine. Been arguing about what meal we should take”

 

My mom laughs at the phone, they seem to argue small things and mom will always laugh at dad. I always find it cute when they do, knowing he can do nothing but sulk and let my mom be. Well, my mom’s kinda persistent.

 

Persistent at pestering dad too.

 

It was raining outside while I am here, sitting in one of my wooden chairs in my café. Yup, I started this business 2 years ago, my mom also recommended me to do such thing or flower shop since it’s her business as well. I learned baking and making coffee from her and decided to come up with a café as my business in the city.

 

I would also help my mom at her shop when I get the chance to, and dad as usual, serving his company as a Chief Financial Officer and will retire soon since his old enough. He always have the idea of helping my mom at the shop and choose to be with her with all the work. He’s still the sweet and lovable dad to me and towards mom.

 

My life has been filled with joy and laughter. I’m doing fine and my business went well as well. I keep myself busy and enjoy baking and such. My routine would always be at the café, home and to my hometown whenever I get a chance or during holidays. It has always been like this, and I’m doing great about it.

 

“Sajangnim”

 

I narrowed my eyes at the one who called. She’s one of the part-timer here in the café and is a hardworking one.

 

“The shop is ready to close. I have also cleaned all the utensils that are needed for tomorrow’s.”

 

I nodded.

 

“You did a great job today. You can go home now and remember to bring an umbrella.” I reminded her.

 

“Thank you!” as she bows down to me and smiled.

 

This girl is a cheerful one that reminds me of my high school days. I’m amazed at her though, since she’s working and at the same time studying ‘cause she doesn’t want to burden her parents for her tuition fees and whatnot. She also reminds me of someone – someone who’s as cheerful as her and as hardworking as her when it comes to studying; someone who’s passionate about what she wants to do and with her dreams.

 

Someone I tried my best to forget, but sadly I couldn’t.

 

“Why did your parents decided to give you that name? Aren’t there any other prettier names than that?” I asked, a little irritating sound could be heard from that question.

 

The high school girl smiled widely as she laughs at me. Well, we’re comfortable enough talking to each other since we’re close.

 

“If you love this name so much, I recommend changing your name. You’re rich enough to do that.” she replied nonchalantly.

 

I laughed bitterly, giving her a smirk and shook my head lightly to show disagreement.

 

“Why are you so curious with my name?” she asked back, “are you in love with my name?”

 

“You don’t even call me with my name, either.”

 

Sigh. This girl is persistent as me.

 

“Just shut up and go home, okay? It’s still raining and you might not be able to catch the bus.”

 

Scurrying, the girl in front grab her bag immediately and ready herself to go.

 

“Well, you can volunteer to stop me by at my place with your car.”

 

“And I can reduce the fee from your salary?”

 

“Kiddin’”

 

She hurriedly went her way to the door as she’s preparing herself to say goodbye. It’s not like I don’t want to volunteer to drive her to her home but I usually spend my time alone in this place to think things alone. I don’t want her to wait for me till 10 in the evening for that.

 

“One more thing,” she paused, “it’s boring calling me with my last name. Can’t you call me with my first name instead, sajangnim?”

 

Ah this girl, there’s nothing wrong calling her with her name though.

 

Yeah, I’ve been calling her Miss Lee all this time, I think she doesn’t want to be called that way. Or maybe granting her wish will do for now, I guess.

 

“Okay, Hyomin.” I said meekly.

 

The young girl smiled, and waved her hands to say goodbye.

 

“Thank you, Jiyeon unnie! See you tomorrow!” then went her way out without even waiting for my replies.

 

Did she just call me unnie?

 

I flip the close sign to front indicating our shop is close.  Went back to where I sat and grab a glass of milk before I laid my eyes on my laptop’s screen. I’m hopeless – I know I said my life has been fulfilled with laughter and joy but part of me wants something. I sigh at the thought, I feel so pathetic waiting for something to happen, something to comeback and something that’s beautiful memories to happen again.

 

I scroll down on someone’s profile that last updated 10 years ago, I checked. I always check it all the time and still search for her name as to have a clue where she is and how she’s been. No matter how much I’d like to forget , erase her from my life and leave her all in the past, I would still think of her when I’m alone and wandering.  No matter how I reminisce happy things with her I end up clenched my heart remembering how she rips it that one night.

 

“Let’s break up.”

 

Remembering how she uttered those words without regrets in the look in her eyes.

 

“I don’t feel the same way anymore.”

 

I chuckled, reminding myself that it’s going to be okay. I feel okay, I always tried to become one starting that night. Though the process felt like hell – since she was the only one who understands and loves me like that.

 

“Hyomin,” I whispered to myself, “was it easy for you?” then asked a question I couldn’t find an answer.

 

 

I went straight to my house after ditching from my café. Took a shower a bit and dried my hair after. Since I’m still not sleepy, I decided to open my laptop to watch some movies and sleep afterwards. Right before I could watch the middle of the movie, a sudden beep from my phone sounded indicating that I received a message.

 

And so, I paused the movie and check whom it’s from.

 

Jiyeon, I’m sorry I could still not find their information.

I think they’ve been changing their names, that’s why.

 

Heaving, I could only close my eyes and be patient. I’ve been keeping my patience with me all this time.

 

Nah it’s okay. I know you’re doing your job and asked you a tough one.

 

I leaned my back on my chair remembering how difficult it is for me and for her. I know I asked her to gather information from someone but didn’t realize it could be this long for us to figure out.

 

Are you doing this for her?

 

And now that curiosity strikes her mind, I wouldn’t be surprise about that.

 

Thanks, Boram.

 

I put aside my phone and opt to turn off my laptop since I do not have the urge to continue the movie. Opened my drawer to grab some pen and maybe think of other coffee recipes to be added in my menu. But didn’t thought that this urge of me to thought of some, faded away when I laid my eyes on my old little notebook that I’ve been keeping till now.

 

I haven’t opened it for a long time now but is still with me, since it’s all now for keeps. I know that if I open this notebook, I will only hurt myself and be hopeless again since all of those memories flashbacks without my mind cooperating for me to stop thinking and just forget about it.

 

Knowing the result, I still did open the old notebook and my eyes quickly set to the last number to do list written on it,

 

‘We do things together.’

 

Unfortunately, we didn’t.

 

 

The next day came and as usual, going back to my routine. Opening the shop, baking cakes and doing the things needed to prepare for the café. My part-timers aren’t here yet but few of my workers were helping me to serve customers. It’s another day to do well with my business and as getting fluttered when customers’ complimented my cakes and coffees – not to mention my beauty.

 

Ah, they say I get prettier as a woman now. Well, can’t hide that fact. That the last time I recall, customers’ would think I was a regular customer as well. My workers would even asked if I’m dating someone or soon to get married. Questions like these sometimes cannot be avoided, but I could only utter and reply with the same answer. ‘Don’t have time for that’ or ‘I’m busy’. They can’t even believe it but I suggested to just believe in me.

 

 

“Good afternoon ma’am, what would you like to order?”

 

The young part timer’s voice could be heard from the back. I’m here again, resting as I’m in front of my laptop sending some emails to certain someone. I let my workers do the work as well since I trained them, some already had the skills and some would still need improvement.

 

“One grande of Iced Latte and a slice of Blueberry cake”

 

“It will be $7.”

 

I read the email Boram sent and tried to focus on it. Though the young part timer’s voice was loud, it was still soothing to hear because of her personality. I sometimes envy her for being so happy serving them like that.

 

“Can I have your name ma’am so we can call you later for serving?”

 

There she goes with that tone again.

 

I started to type on my lappy’s keyboard as to form a reply to the email I received. Requesting for her to rest for a while since she’s been serious with the job I asked her to do. It’s all like, I’m leaning towards Boram to find a piece of information that I was so curious years ago while here I am, still couldn’t find any trace as to what country or place she could have been through internet.

 

What else can I do? I couldn’t give up looking for her. I couldn’t just give it all up.

 

“Wow!” the young girl exclaimed in amusement, “what a coincidence! My name’s Hyomin too.”

 

I paused, hearing the part timer say that name like she haven’t heard it before. I did call her name for the first time yesterday and she didn’t even reply with that kind of tone towards me.

 

Wait; did I just hear that she means she’s amused with having the same name as the customer she’s currently serving?

 

With that realization, I stood up quickly and found my urge to peek to that customer named Hyomin too. I don’t know, but my heart beats so fast that I couldn’t even do anything to calm it down. I’m a little excited but at some point afraid – afraid that I am assuming that is it her and that feeling this feeling right now is unnecessary. I do not want to disappoint myself anymore but why do I feel like I wanted to run and check to see if it was her?

 

That it was the Hyomin I was looking for. That she is here, being the Hyomin I was searching for.

 

Though afraid and nervous, I slowly peek at the small window viewing customers who are having their snacks. Right in front, I could barely see the facial of the customer since the part timer’s blocking her. I get disappointed when she turned around and find a table and chair for her to sit in, waiting for her order,

 

But was surprise when the part timer called her name as she forgot her change.

 

“Oh, thank you!”

 

That now I finally found her, Hyomin, after 10 years.

~~

Author’s note: Update again! Was having a hard time continuing this chapter but I did my best. Anyways, I hope you’ll like it still ^^