Chapter 10

Pink Roses

That one night came and I was laying on my bed, waiting for something. Waiting for a message from someone, who might be not busy today since exams ended last week and we’ll wait for the result in the next three days. Every time my phone beeps up, I’ll grab it quickly and frowned after seeing the sender’s pops up on my phone’s screen. It wasn’t the one whom I expected, so again I placed it on my bedside table and cover myself with my comfy blanket. I did it a lot of times but I don’t know whether the heavens were teasing me or something. I feel weird but at some point it felt so great.

 

 

I got up and lean my back against the bed’s board. Maybe sleeping is the best idea to overcome this boredom in me – but I didn’t know it would be not the ‘best’ idea since I don’t feel any form or anything for me to get sleepy. I shook my head saying to myself I’m a bit crazy tonight; something’s bothering me but I can’t figure it out just now. I lay on my bed again, then right after a message tone from my kakaotalk beeps up.

 

 

What I did? I sigh grabbing my phone back while I close my eyes hoping it could be that person. It’s been 3 days we haven’t talk to each other, holidays happened and weekends came after. I took my courage to check who the sender is – and my lips curved upwards after seeing that name on my inbox list.

 

 

From: Hyomin

Howdy Jiyeon

 

 

I could even imagine how happy my expression is. I didn’t expect this simple greeting could make me smile like this.

 

 

To: Hyomin

Oh hi there, friend. It’s been a while I guess? ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

 

From: Hyomin

Kind of. Hmm.. How are you?

 

To: Hyomin

I’m good. You?

 

From: Hyomin

Still the same. Wanted to go out for a while now but

I guess it won’t help me out with my current situation.

 

 

Current situation?

 

To: Hyomin

Why what happened?

 

From: Hyomin

Nothing important.

 

 

I paused, feeling how my excitements turned to worries.

 

To: Hyomin

Oh.. I could accompany you if you want J

 

From: Hyomin

Thank you for saying that.

 

To: Hyomin

But really you could ask me, maybe enjoying ourselves up since

we haven’t seen each other for a while.

 

From: Hyomin

I miss you :(

 

 

I gulped receiving that last message. Did I just read it wrong? Well friendships do have things like ‘missing each other’ but… but why do I feel like there’s something wrong?

 

 

I typed a message saying we could meet each other not too long since classes will resume tomorrow and that I missed her too. But due to some feeling, anyhow, I couldn’t send it so I ended up deleting those phrases and typed another word that I know I could feel comfortable with to let her read it.

 

 

To: Hyomin

Since classes will up tomorrow, for our lunch, my treat!

 

 

Having a lovely friendship like this is so fun and great. I didn’t know it could hit a great impact on me helping out my social life and such. It was nice getting to know a friend like Hyomin – but that last message made me keep up till dawn. I wondered why.

 

I miss you

 

 

I squint in front of my reflection early in the morning. Well, I haven’t sleep that well and for some reason I woke up with unexplained happiness. But then again I furrowed my brows as I narrowed my eyes back seeing my reflection at the mirror – a red pimple spotted on the tip of my nose, and it’s something disgusting to see. Such a nice spot huh. Irritating much, so I let out a big sigh as I remembered staying up all night waiting for that simple ‘greet’ that I know it doesn’t makes sense at all. However, all of my waits and wasted time had become worth it – and the important thing is I can now see that friend of mine who would probably smile in front of me while saying how was her holidays and weekend before mine or vice versa.

 

 

But the most weird thing is, why do I sound like so excited?

 

 

“Did you use that cream I recommended you to?” mom asked giving me those worried look like she always does.

 

“Yeah I did.” I answered bluntly.

 

 

I sat on ready to dig in on my favorite breakfast she would prepare every morning; loving this lovable feeling whenever I get to smell her delicious meal’s scent, I get goosebumps.  The chopsticks were well prepared beside and the other plate, which was occupied with healthy food earlier now empty. Bet my dad was in a rush again so I didn’t get to see him and couldn’t bid some goodbyes. So we’ll get to talk much about everything every weekend, keeping our bond as family.

 

 

“What is my lovely daughter up to?”

 

“Hmm?” I raised my brows, showing that clueless-expression like look.

 

“I’ve notice you’re becoming blooming every day, is my daughter up to something good?” then smiles ear to ear, asking me that ‘question’ again.

 

“Mom,” I gulped slowly, “I almost tell you every day I’m not. Please stop insisting that I am.” I pouted.

 

“Why would I not? You’re my daughter, I’m your mother. Mothers would be really happy two times as what their child felt every time they see them that happy than they usually are.” she said getting some positive points on her sentence. Yeah she’s right, I couldn’t tell her the truth though and I’ve been hiding this for years. Not time to tell.

 

“Having a supportive friend made me like this mom,” I started “and I couldn’t hide those feeling I had never felt before. You do know your daughter’s kind of a loner at school and I’m thankful I got one though I’m totally a ‘lame’ friend type person.” then added flatly emphasizing the word lame.

 

“No you aren’t. I know you too well,”

 

“You don’t understand mom,”

 

“What do I not understand?”

 

 

Dang!I know where this conversation will lead to. So I did think of something that could save me up and forget about what we had just talked about. My mom’s kinda persistent; I couldn’t do anything about it.

 

 

“Time to go!”

 

“There you go,” I look on her to see she was shrugging making that cute face “giving me that excuse as to save yourself up.”

 

 

Yeah, she knew me too well.

 

“Bye mom.” I kissed her cheeks and so she does ignoring her statement.

 

“I was actually thinking on how people get pimple on the tip of their nose and the meaning behind on it.”

 

“Mom!” I shouted.

 

“Okay okay” now laughter could be heard from her, a teasing one actually “take care darling. Don’t forget to skip your meal!”

 

 

I took a bus and made my way to campus as usual. I couldn’t stop thinking about what could have been if I were to say everything about my secret to mom. I had this thought long time ago when I had realize I wasn’t that straight adoring someone whose same gender as mine – or a hetero in other term. The fact that I’m not totally ready for any circumstances may occur after and a hate from someone I don’t want to grow from them. If I ever did that, will my family be happy about it as what my mother had said earlier? Will Soyeon get surprise or whatever reaction she may did that I know I wouldn’t want to see? And lastly will everything be alright then?

 

 

But somehow these worries I have slowly faded away; I have Hyomin, yes I have her. She knew who I am and so she did said she understand it. It was an encouragement; she was an encouragement I only have. She did told me things realistic, she was advising me things like she’s mature enough already – more like she knew life better than me. Hyomin is a great companion that’s why I’m comfortable being with her.

 

 

“Jiyeon!”

 

 

A small girl approach on me, handed me a sheet of paper with personal data forms and such.

 

 

“What is this?” I asked rolling my eyes upside down on the form.

 

“Eunjung asked me to give you this. It’s a seminar for social life.” Boram grins in front while putting her both hands behind her.

 

“Why me?”

 

“Jiyeon look, we are very concern about you. This is for your own good and besides you can’t waste this opportunity since all of these experts comes once in 5 years!” then insisted, it sounds like she’s nagging me to do it.

 

“O-okay?” I glanced at her blinked my eyes twice.

 

“Hope you’ll come.”

 

 

Boram then sat on her seat writing on her notebook while humming. I don’t understand; did she actually mean it when she says they were ‘concern’ about me? But what’s to concern about? I’m completely fine with my life and yes, just like that.

 

 

“What’s that?” some lovely voiced went in to my ears wanting to listen more.

 

“Just a form to fill up,” I smiled as I lifted my face up to her.

“Seminar? That’s pretty cool.”

 

 

Hyomin went behind me since her seat was; comb her brown hair and look onto her mirror checking if her slight make up went good. I went back to that form and read the description – well, not that bad since these things may be helpful. But seminars and such, I can’t take those boring session and keep my eyes wide awake while listening to some speech that I am not interested to. Just like my history subject, I hate things more onto documentation.

 

“Hey,” I retorted turning my head on Hyomin “how’s weekend?”

 

The brunette took a break from writing some journal for our English subject, and did look on me straightly.

 

“Not that good.” then shook her head lightly.

 

“Why?”

 

“You don’t want to know.”

 

 

I let my mouth shut as I sense she don’t want me to talk about it. Right then I remembered that night when she said about her current situation, I think she has some problems but from her mood today it’s not like she has.

 

 “About last night, ahmm… current situation?” I tilt my head looking at her.

 

“Pimple.”

 

“Pim… w-what?”

 

“I said you got pimple,” then tapped her nose “something’s bothering you up?”

 

This pimple again.

 

“Uhhmm… I guess?” I gently laugh, looking away as I cover my nose with my hand.

 

I blushed that I shouldn’t. I don’t really want to talk about what keeps me up till night and everything, but seeing her smiling like that made me not to. I wanted to tell her something good that I’m thankful for everything she had done to me. This kind of friend is such a treasure I couldn’t lose for – I don’t want to lose a friend like Hyomin.

 

 

The same thing happened when I went home, it was past 8pm but I’m here in the living room reading some interesting magazines tackling about different cultures from different countries and other things. I went to page 54 and found this piece were the author writes something about flowers and some beautiful shots were attached above those paragraphs. I read those since I like flowers, especially pink roses. And speaking of pink roses, I remember something that I can’t forgive myself for not doing it.

 

 

Oh god! I forgot to give Soyeon a pink rose on her locker last morning!

 

 

“Oh no… why I didn’t remember that?” I scurried, wanted to teleport myself to school and put it on her locker. How on earth did I forget about that?

 

 

I was gonna go and do the same thing sneaking up at school. I wore my black jacket since my dad and mom went out to buy something for stocks and groceries. I quickly called my favorite flower shop’s contact hoping they’re not close yet. But before I press those numbers on my phone’s screen, my mom opened the main door so I pause and look on her. Oh boy, bad timing.

 

 

“Oh mom your home,” I laugh creepily, my mom find it weird.

 

“Going to somewhere?”

 

“Ahhmm.. just got to check some,  uh-” I failed to have an excuse so I just did smiled.

 

“Eh? Anyway we have a visitor to get accompany with.” my mom place her shoe on the stand and did wore those home slippers, “you won’t be surprise since you know her.”

 

 

My mother called that visitor she was talking about. I don’t know whether to be happy seeing her coming in our house with that luggage? But why with luggage?

 

 

“Hyomin’s gonna stay here for a while since she’s looking for dormitory to live in for now.”

 

~~~

 

Author's note: I am really really sorry for late updates. So here's chapter 10 and hope you'll like it >.<