Chapter 34

Pink Roses

[HYOMIN’S POV]

 

It was winter when I decided to leave the girl I love the most. No explanations, no goodbyes either. I just let her stand there, under the snowfall, confused and left with so many questions without answers. It was my decision to make – that it was all the best choice I could with nothing else. That it was the best for us, without giving harm to the person I love, Jiyeon.

 

I could still remember that night when that accident happened – it’s heartbreaking to think that she did not look back while I looked at her.  That I thought it was her demise, that I thought she would leave me there hanging but sadly, I was the one who did, and alive. It’s unfortunate of me to still think about it even though it happened a long time ago. It happened a long time ago, I should forget and move on with my life. She’s happy now and I do hope that she is living her life to fullest even without me.  I confirmed it with her own mouth the other day though.

 

How dare of me thinking that she can only be happy with me? I was the one who broke her heart, I was the one who made this choice and live this kind of life. I left her with so many scars that I don’t want to show up and face her one day, for the guilt I felt can never be erased – that I was a fool not fulfilling the promises I made.

 

“Ms. Park?”

 

My thoughts got intruded, so I closed the files attached to a short folder – giving replies to the man who called.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I have finished all the task you provided, ” he said, “I hope it could pass the standards you were looking for.”

 

I curved my lip for that sentence. This guy is one of my photo editors – I’ve been giving him so much work to do and he’s been doing his best for it.

 

“You can leave the file on my desk. I also want to have the soft copies of the photos you worked on.”

 

The guy bowed and smiled at me as I was giving him a satisfied look.

 

“Thank you, Ms. Park! I’ll take my leave now.”

 

I nodded saying yes to the younger, furrowing my brows as I felt a headache forming, massaging my temples.  I shut my eyes to feel relax a little bit to ease the pain, but that didn’t work out.

 

Forgetting something that still haunts me, was never easy. I know it happened long time ago, but every time I remember every detail about it, I could never forgive myself for giving danger to Jiyeon that night. Also, about what happened to my family before and up until now, I am still thinking about it instead leaving it all in the past.

 

“They were looking for you. Please just this once, just do what I say”

 

I couldn’t understand what he was talking about. He was trembling, his eyes unfocused and not let a single waste of chance to glance at me with that concern stare. The gaze I’m not sure if it’s honest or not.

 

He discussed things with his hands flailing, emphasizing what he meant. Still with his scared voice that I haven’t heard of before. I still couldn’t understand what he was saying, but later on I did. And it made me offer the strongest slap I haven’t given to anyone before in my entire life.

 

“Hyomin, stop!” my mom interrupted, her eyes showing worries for him. But why would she?

 

I could no longer control my emotions; rather I do not know how to control it. I’ve been holding a grudge on him since then and hearing him saying these things made me break down.

I could no longer conceal the pain and the hatred towards him.

 

“I don’t want you to be in danger…” his eyes prickling, never been seen that for a long time.

 

“Bull!” I cursed, like finally I utter that word to him, “Yeah, you don’t want us to be in danger? Yet you already did.”

 

I never had been so confused in my entire life. Feeling how my tears flow from my eyes unknowingly while giving him a cold look. I just don’t know whether I’m broken again or just mad at him.

 

I don’t know which emotion to describe about what I’m feeling.

 

I sigh at the memory; drink some water to maybe let myself calm. Every time it crosses to my mind, I thought of ‘what ifs’ but shook my head a little to disagree.

 

“What if I didn’t leave?”

 

But it was the best choice. That if I chose to stay, it’ll be messier and things might happened that I don’t want to.

 

 

I left my office that one afternoon and drove my car to somewhere I’ll only get visit this once. Though my mind is filled with so many works to do and especially that now I saw Jiyeon, everything now turns to sorrowful life to an even more mournful one. I don’t exactly know how to describe my current situation. I mean, I’m professional now that I yearned of when I was young and whatnot but little did I know that something would still be missing even if you have all the treasures, wealth or even healthy life and have the dream you always wanted to be.

 

I still wanted to have the kind life I used to – I’m still hoping that someday, everything will be the way it used to be. Unfortunately, we can’t just let things happen the way we wanted to be.

 

I heave a very deep sigh, turning the steering wheel on the right side to park my car near a flower shop. I came back to my town again, it’s been so long since I have smelled its nature scent and refreshing view that made my lip curved and smiled.

 

I pushed the glass door to enter to an unfamiliar shop. The cashier greeted me with her welcoming smile and even placed the bases and bunch of flowers in front as well as segregating it by kind. I reciprocate and look around to check as to which flower I should order.

 

“Who would you like to give the flowers to? I can recommend you one” the young gal in front stated, wishing to help me decide.

 

“Just someone” I replied with a very soft voice.

 

“Someone?” she asked back, “boyfriend?”

 

I flinch a little and chuckled after hearing that word,

 

“But should boyfriends the ones who give flowers to their girlfriends?”

 

“I don’t have a boyfriend.” I nonchalantly said while waiving my hands saying no again, “just going to give it to someone I knew” then added.

 

“Oh, I’m so sorry.” She bowed down three times and gave me an apologetic smile.

 

Well, I already have a rose in my mind. Just trying to figure out if giving something different color or such would be good or whatnot. I ended up ordering a bouquet of pink roses, saying my goodbyes and my thanks to the cashier after I paid my bills.

 

I placed the roses on the other seat beside me – a small smile form on my lips though I’m having these prickling eyes remembering my hopes and wishes. Still having this heavy heart for taking my time visiting someone I knew. Someone who lectured me about love; someone who taught me how to love, about feelings and someone whom I hated. Someone I admired the most before and someone I wished had been a good person the way he was. Someone who made me love pink roses, and someone who tells me its meanings.

 

My papa – I am still debating whether to show myself up in front of him without mom knowing.

 

[END OF HYOMIN’S POV]

 

[JIYEON’S POV]

 

I ended the call from the part timer after saying okay to her. I told her I’ll be out to my mom to visit her for a while and maybe I’ll be back in the evening to close the shop. I unfastened the seatbelt and got out from my car, smiled widely as flowers and roses were visible to my sight the moment I step out from my car.

 

The fresh air too – making me feel so relax that I close my eyes for a bit. I pushed the glass door to enter to my mom’s flower shop before I greeted the teenage at the cashier area, giving me her pleasant smile.

 

“Where’s mom?” I ask, giving her warm smiles as well.

 

“She’s inside.”

 

I walk inside as to see and talk to my mom. She was there, standing as she was busy arranging flowers. My mom is one of the best when it comes to designing flowers, too bad I didn’t get that talent from her.

 

“I came!” I exclaimed, making her flinch a bit.

 

“Goodness Jiyeon!” she patted her chest indicating she got shock a bit, “you startled me”

 

I chuckled a bit, “I brought dad his favorite tea,” I hovered the paper bag I was holding all the time, “brought some honey and lemon for you too”

 

“Ah, you don’t really have to do that,” she replied, as if not happy with what I bought.

 

“Then next time don’t complain if I visit without anything” pouting my lips, rolling my eyes to my mom.

 

As usual, she would just laugh and pester me after that. We’re always like this though; I guess I still get the attitude from my mom being like this. I’m happy that somehow, it made her happy as to what I am today.

 

I hugged my mom before I sat beside her. I also brought some waffles so we can eat something while we talk. Later on, she decides to teach me arranging flowers and such but I declined knowing I do not have the talent or the will to. I just love flowers and roses, and I guess that’s my limit.

 

“Your phone rings,” mom noted me, raising my brows as to get my phone inside my pocket.

 

I look at the screen and glimpse at mom who’s still busy arranging flowers.

 

“Ah, it’s Boram. I should take this call,” I said calmly, “I’ll be back mom”

 

Mom nodded and so I went outside for a while to answer the call.

 

“Oh Boram,” I started, “you called?”

 

I could hear some noise of papers being flipped from the other line, furrowing my brows as Boram hasn’t utter a word yet.

 

“Boram? What’s the matter?” I asked,

 

“Jiyeon,” I could hear she heave a deep sigh before speaking, “I don’t know if I should tell you this”

 

“but I guess you should know as well”

 

I gulped while my brows still furrowed. Now, I’m half afraid of what she’ll going to say but half curious to know. So I stayed calm even my heart beats so fast. Why?

 

“Hyomin’s father died three years ago..”

 

~~

 

Without any hesitations, I ditch from my mom’s shop to somewhere where Hyomin is. After what I have heard about her late father, I need to see her, I badly need to. I don’t know what came up to my mind or what excuses I will come up but this time, I only want to see her. Knowing she have had a very tough life with regards to her family before, she might having a hard time since then. I knew it in the first place, why I didn’t think about it before?

 

I drove my car going back to Seoul and pass by to her office. I could still remember the address though I only get a glance to look at it. Love really is magical, I wonder why.

 

My mind is full with thoughts and still with a lot of questions. I haven’t asked her that day since I was too dumb to, and too nervous to even know the answer. Why am I so desperate to know the answers yet get afraid to know? Heck, I’ve worked for it for years and here I am, not even asking questions directly to her that now I know where she is and now that I have all the chances. Why would I want to miss this chance? When will I get the answers?

 

The thought of Hyomin might leave again this time round, haunts me.

 

I snap back to reality when I notice a familiar luxurious car parked nearby a convenient store. I slowed down to check if my instincts were right or wrong, but thankfully the store have these glass wall so I could clearly see the customers inside and the goods that are for sale.

 

Not that my instincts were telling me to come down and go to that store but I saw Hyomin there, sitting as she was opening her cup of ramyun.

 

I went inside slowly without disturbing her peaceful meal. Slurping her ramyun is such a cute sight to see – it’s like seeing a teenage Hyomin since we’re always on ramyun those days. I get closer, feeling how much I miss the way she eats and seeing her side profile melts me. It still melts me, this grown up woman is still cute to me.

 

“You still eat ramyun the way you used to,” I stated, making the brunette turn to my side with her surprise expression.

 

But is still cute to me.

 

“J-Jiyeon?”

 

“Yes, it’s me” I give her a small smile and decided to order ramyun too, seeing the way she eats made me full but having ramyun with her would never be a bad idea afterall.

 

I quickly went to cashier to pay the bills and sat beside her while waiting for my ramyun to cook for 3 minutes. Its awkward sitting besides her remembering the words I utter to her the other day, but somehow I feel comfortable being by her side today.

 

“W-why are you here?” Hyomin asked, continuing to consume the left noodles.

 

“Came to visit my mom. How about you?”

 

I look at her with the same stare but this time, with warm gazes and not cold one. The latter looked away after giving her replies.

 

“Came to visit someone too.” her voice were so soft, I almost couldn’t hear it.

 

I opened the lid and smelled the most delicious meal we would always have back then. I started to consume the noodle as well while giving glances to the other beside me. She’s quiet; I also noticed that she’s been having this frown yet calm facial. So I decided to cut the silence.

 

“I’m sorry,”

 

“What for?” the brunette quickly asked, looked me in the eye but later on, turned her head away.

 

“The things I said to you back then, I’m really sorry.”

 

Hyomin paused before she could even gulp the last drop of ramyun’s soup. She stared at me with that concern eyes and let out a small sigh after putting the cup on the table.

 

“It deserves me anyway,” she chuckled but she wasn’t happy.

 

I gave her a cold shoulder and even cold words after seeing her with that guy that day. I feel so sorry feeling jealous for that moment, though I wanted to ask her about that, I washed that question away since that’s not really very important for now.

 

“I have to go now, do have a lot of things to do”

 

I raised my brows hearing what she said – I haven’t even started yet and she’s leaving?

 

“W-wait!”

 

I stood up recklessly without thinking so I end up bump onto her making the ramyun spilled on each other’s clothes. I covered my mouth with my left hand and quickly placed the chopticks on the table before I took out my handkerchief to wipe Hyomin’s stained clothes.

 

I really am stupid.

 

“I’m so sorry!” I get startled, knowing the soup is still hot and it might burn her skin. I can’t even forgive myself for that.

 

I expected to see Hyomin getting irritated or something that would show she got annoyed by my act but instead, the brunette giggled and I think she’s trying to control her laugh in front of me? Why would she?

 

I stop wiping her shirt and look at her bewildered. Though confused, I got amazed by her smiling face and realized that her trademark would always melt me. Ah that smile  the smile I wanted to see and miss the most. I think this is something not funny.

 

“Why are you laughing?”

 

The woman in front tried to stop her laugh, cleared before giving me her excuses.

 

“Nothing. ” and so she continued, “just remembered a precious memory.”

 

I was about to ask her about what precious memory she was talking to but I too, remembered the same thing. About how I quickly wipe her uniform when I accidentally spilled a juice onto her when we were in highschool. About how she smiled at me brightly instead of scolding me for being reckless. About how she asked me to stop a few times and hold my hand so I could look her in the eye.

 

About how great the feeling we get when we stare at each other’s eyes back then – with sparks and a lovable gaze only both of us knew its meaning.

 

Love really is so magical.

 

~~

Author’s note: Yay! I guess I already putted a hint as to why Hyomin left years ago in this chapter. Well, we’ll figure it out soon. Thank you for supporting and for leaving comments to this fic, I’d also like to thank you all for still waiting for the update though I’ve had always been delaying it. This fic will end soon and again, thank you so much for loving and supporting this fic!

 

I’m also happy to know that our girls are fighting against MBK. Looking forward for the good news, as what our CEO Park Hyomin said.