Chapter 17

Pink Roses

Author's note: Sorry guys for delaying updates! Having a really hard time on what will happen on this chapter since I tried to fit the happenings in every chapters xD Anyways, here's my update! Hope you'll like it! Enjoy reading ^^

 

“What happened?”

 

Worried expression could be seen from Jiyeon’s mother after realizing what her daughter brought her with. Soaked and shivered, I couldn’t answer anything other than smiling to fool them I’m actually okay. Jiyeon were scurrying for asking questions and helping me up there, and I almost carried away myself from the pain I had kept for years now. I don’t want her to worry about me, like the way I don’t want to be a burden to her life or so. I have my own business, and I will handle it well – though slowly I couldn’t anymore.

 

“I don’t check weather broadcast or so.” I reasoned out, “so I got soaked under the rain.”

 

“Ah this kid,” her mother shook her head lightly, “hurry and help her up Jiyeon, she might catch a cold.” then hurriedly went to the kitchen to prepare something.

 

I’m so much thankful to this family. They do really care, they cared enough that I feel so empty to have an opposite family they are.

 

“Take your shoes off. I’ll go and prepare some warm water for you to shower.”

 

I look at her strolling away. Not even saying anything to her to clarify things at least.

 

“Hyomin?” Jiyeon called, I looked so pathetic right now.

 

“Uh?”

 

“Is everything alright?”

 

I don’t want to tell her. I don’t really want to. Because if I did, there’s too much burden and I don’t want that to happen.

 

So I nodded, as if saying it was alright. I’m fine; I kept on telling her that. I kept on fooling myself.

 

I got a cup of tea and a warm blanket covered on me. I got a warm company too, Jiyeon, with me here in her room again sitting on her bed, shivering. This kind girl handed me her pajamas and even forced me to wear those pair of pororo socks. Feeling relax, I then lean my back against the headboard after drinking the hot tea. Still covering my entire body since it’s so cold that I get colder when I heard the broadcaster’s voice reporting our country’s current temperature. 11◦ C

 

With this warm welcome and concerns, I feel like this is the only shelter I can always run to.

 

“Aren’t you going to sleep?” the room owner asked, slowly taking small steps towards me, covering herself with the same blanket I had.

 

“Nope.”

 

“Is the tea good? My mother would always make lemon teas whoever in the family gets soaked or cold.” she added.

 

Jiyeon laid her body on the bed, showing me her happy side as to show me everything’s going to be alright. I don’t know if she believed me then, like I wouldn’t know she would persistently ask questions again this time.

 

“Hyomin,” the girl beside me convey, “I know that there are things you don’t want to open up and there are sometimes that are good to be hidden,”

 

I glanced at her staring at the soothing blue color ceiling, wanted to pipe in but I’m tired enough to do that. I sometimes can’t stop Jiyeon being concern, or being just a pure and innocent Jiyeon, who really cares a lot. A friend of mine who calms every nerves on me every time she starts to speak.

 

“But don’t forget that I’m here always – a simple kid whom you acknowledge as a good friend, if ever everything or anything gets worst.” Jiyeon looked on me, with her calming and sweet smile I always want to see.

 

I giggled. It was sweet yet tacky, I could only smile and chuckle right now.

 

“What?” she asked, bewildered.

 

“Nothing,” I responded, “let’s sleep now. I’ll be off early tomorrow.”

 

“Off early? Why?” Jiyeon rouse from her bed.

 

“I have to practice again my parts in the presentation and find my costumes too,” I replied smiling, “and I at least need to get home.”

 

“You should eat breakfast with me before you go then,” she pouted, again back laying on her bed, “I don’t want you to go stomach-emptied.”

 

I smiled at her. She smiled at me – it feels like time flew so fast when were together, being like this. We smiled to each other to the point we ended laugh like we’re retarded jerks. I know I’m broken, but thanks to Jiyeon for making me feel okay above all things. She is such a special person for me.

 

A very special person.

 

I checked the time from the small clock on Jiyeon’s bedside table. It’s almost midnight but I’m here still not asleep. I can feel the sleeping-soundly Jiyeon on the other side – I was facing her back so I couldn’t see her facial or her sleeping face. I to the other side and witness this cute with perfect features of hers that made me smile again. I smiled again – that I feel like I could forget everything just by looking at her. Without any words spoken, just a moment like this.

 

“Thank you.” I slowly moved my body nearer to hers, and wrapped my left arm to embrace Jiyeon.

 

I loved this warm feeling I get when I’m beside her.

 

 

Weekend passed and I’m on my way to school for preparations. I got all the things I needed and called Eunjung to not forget about hers too. Haven’t get enough sleep by thinking of what will happen after the show and what had happened to me last Friday night. I went out from the bus slowly and got myself in front of the big gate. The security guards greeted me as usual, since they always knew I would come here by 6 or quarter to 7 am. Remembering subjects’ possible lessons to be tackled, I went my way straight to the locker room to get my books and might as well study in advance for a short period of time.

 

I paused my way, hesitatingly trying to take another step as I saw Qri with her heavy steps going to nowhere away from the locker room. I blinked my eyes twice in confusion and tried to take a small step but got cut again since I saw Soyeon having those heavy yet angry steps following Qri maybe. I don’t know what happened to those two but I’m pretty sure I don’t want to know and never will since I can’t help if they fought for some reason.

 

Though I know half of me saying, that it was the same reason they we’re actually fighting for. I’ll let them settle it, both of them alone.

 

Continuing my way to my locker and felt something like I can’t call madness and something like I can’t call pain. I saw a pink rose again, all crashed into petals. It really looked like it got stamped for a countless times and I really find it rude to someone who did that.

 

I opened my locker and got my history book. Picked up the petals and place it on a particular book’s page before closing it. Roses are something precious – something precious to treasure, not for you to throw or destroy.

 

“That kid.” I shook my head pitifully, “hasn’t she moved on?”

 

I stroll away leaving, on my way to my room. There I saw Jiyeon waving her hands on me. Thanks for us for getting here too early; we’ll get enough time to talk. I know we wouldn’t talk that much but at least we have time to spend together.

 

And that I realized we both made time together.

 

Stage was all well-prepared. The lights and the music systems were prepared well too. Audience occupied the entire activity center, which our P.E teacher didn’t mention us that all her students, including the other sections will perform and watch each performance as well. I can’t hide my nervousness; I know there’s no time to get mad at her for this is the day to show our much effort to get at least a passing grade to her subject aligning music and arts on the sheet of paper and her students’ list below to show us that she had expected so much with her greedy smile I couldn’t imagine.

 

Well, it’s happening now. We all can’t do anything about it.

 

“Okay students, please prepare yourselves up.”

 

I’m here sitting fixing my makeup. The others were busy as well, fitting their costumes and some are all ready for their performance. I got a light retouch before Eunjung approach me to do hers too. She was nervous too, and I can tell that by looking at her.

 

“What to do?” she asked worriedly, feeling unease, “why the heck this teacher didn’t tell us about the program. The entire program?!” and exclaimed in disappointment or should I say in madness.

 

“Just be ready and be calm. We’re here already.”

 

“Jeez, this fatty m-”

 

Eunjung stopped complaining and checked herself on the mirror and raised her thumbs up to say her appearance were okay.

 

“Goodluck..” a whisper from behind made me raise my brows, so I did turned around to know who were cheering me or us.

 

“You look pretty today,” Jiyeon complimented, “I mean you are always pretty.”

 

I laugh but not that loud. Enough for Jiyeon to hear and tell her to stop joking around.

 

“If so then thank you.”

 

I laughed again as I notice something on Jiyeon today. I can clearly see she doesn’t know makeup that much, her lipstick stains below her curved lips. So I slowly tried to fix and get rid of it.

 

“Please have a look on yourself on a mirror first. Just in case.”

 

She looked on me; I looked at her back. Her brown eyes were so beautiful that I only realize that. It got us like, few seconds of staring that I think there’s something in her eyes behind on it. Like, that there’s a meaning behind all of those lovely stares she would always give on me.

 

“Jiyeon!”

 

I glanced at the person who shouted her name. Sadly, it destroys our moment and interrupting my observation.

 

“I..” she blinked her eyes trice then tried to avoid my eye contact, “I-I got to go now.”

 

“Bye.”

 

 

The show started. The emcees were no other than our great P.E teacher with our class president whom she entrusted for everything when she’s away. There were tons of pairings to perform so our class for morning session had cancelled. She literally asked permission to those other terror teachers and I bet she directly went to the principal as well as celebrating her birthday. It’s like a surprise-celebration, a very warm celebration to our lovely principal.

 

The principal went to the stage and had her speech. The students sang happy birthday to her and she smiled widely as she received such warm greeting although the temperature were very cold. The ones who have their numbers waiting for their turn, has their jackets on and the ones who performed of course had to suffer this freezing cold breeze. I don’t know if that’s really necessary. I felt so sorry for those y, thin and expose costumes others had chose.

 

“That was a great performance!” the emcees shouted in spectacular, “now let’s call our next performers, they call their selves Eunmin as a duo.”

 

“Let’s give a round of applause for Eunmin’s performance!”

 

The audience clapped their hands – and as we step on the stage some cheered and screamed Eunjung’s name. To my surprise, I heard my name too. It was one of those boys who tried to get my number but I tried too much to find a particular person who will see me performing here. She wasn’t on the crowded audience, and little disappointment formed on myself right now for sudden. I hope she’s watching.

 

My partner started her part; doing her dance steps with her sad moves as she tries to convey the meaning of the song through action and with her singing skills. I don’t know why we end up choosing a sad song but as of now, I don’t mind about it since it’s a nice song Eunjung chose. A break up for two lovers, and now had manage to forget and moved on. That they were good at their own, so we both tried so much to translate the song to a dance steps.

 

Verse 2 almost started, so I stood up from the bench which was a part of our performance props. I sang my part with this emotional expression.

 

My eyes were seeking for someone every corner of the crowded audience again. I couldn’t find her still. I looked down as to look y and waved my body as we sing the chorus part. I glance again at the audience, and there I saw a smiling and a cheerful Jiyeon giving me a sign to do a good job. She even tried to wink on me, such a cute epic-fail. Trying to be professional on a stage, I faced back the audience as to smile. Everyone will think I’m crazy then if I show them this happy face on me with this heartbroken song.

 

“What a wonderful and stunning performance! My eyes got prickled listening to the song.” one of the emcees tried to look like crying while fakingly sobbing, “and now let’s move on. Calling the next performer…”

 

The performance went well. All performers did well. For the very first time I saw Jiyeon dancing happily with a enthusiastic song together with Boram, who is suited to the cute song since she’s short. But I didn’t say Jiyeon is not, she can be cute and y too.  She can go with all the concepts, I must admit.

 

Students were cheering to each other’s performance and handed their phones to see their captured moments on stage. We were chattering together with Eunjung and some of our classmates; who were complementing us with our great performance earlier.

 

After the small celebration for the principal’s birthday, we now had back to our rooms and changed our outfits to start our normal classes every weekdays. The smiles from the students could be seen everywhere, everyone had a happy moment there at the venue and I bet no one regretted it. Although some are, but mostly not.

 

“You were awesome!”

 

Me and Jiyeon made our way out from the school, strolling away as we talked about the recent event.

 

“You were great too. I didn’t know you could be beyond awesome.” I smiled looking at her.

 

“Thank goodness it’s done already!” the brunette spread her arms, as if she had gotten her longed freedom?

 

I giggled at her again. She would always give me that lovely yet confuse look whenever I did.

 

“Ah!” she shouted, “I have something for you.”

 

I observed her checking on her bag. Looking for something she wanted to give. Jiyeon glanced at me, smiling again. She had these cute blushed cheeks that I couldn’t resist. And this cute and shy side of hers that made me want to hug her all the way.

 

“I hope you’ll like it.”

 

Jiyeon face me up, slowly starts to lift her arms and put a warm scarf on me. I looked at her again; her curved pink lips and her eye smiles hypnotize me. I looked at her again, with these feelings I had for her since that day I realize something that is more likely lovable.

 

I looked at her again, smiling back and that I would’ve not had this feeling without her.

 

I looked at her again, seems confusing. All her stares at me that I wanted to know what’s behind, seems so easy to answer by observing her actions and words.

 

Again, I looked at her trying to reassure about what I felt. My beating heart, why so sudden?

 

“Please don’t catch a cold.”

 

~~~