Chapter 21

Pink Roses

[HYOMIN’S POV]

The temperature’s getting colder and colder, and it is a bad idea to just stay outside, walk alone without any directions. It was still snowing but I’m on my way to somewhere I don’t know, wandering. How am I supposed to know? I was thinking real hard for now, for me getting all those happiness when I met and knew her and feel this ache starting to dominate me – it wasn’t just started, it hits right onto me.

 

The thought about it made me think I wasn’t numb enough. I thought I was a cold girl from what I had been through, but I am just not. I was hurt, and I am having an argument to myself since I don’t want to feel it yet I am. I wanted to tell Jiyeon what I felt towards her but it all got mess when I witness her happiness was right in front of her recently. Those smiles wouldn’t just fade away and this envious feeling made me had this bitter laugh onto me.

 

I am her friend, I could just ask her. I am her friend, I could just tell her directly that I dumbly liked her but I guess that would be real hard. I am still her friend who can actually ask her about Soyeon and everything, so I won’t be feeling this possessive side of me rising up, and that I could have some a breath of relief – or a real pain hits right onto my chest, making me feel suffocated.

 

I don’t know why I’m being like this. Maybe I’m just concluding conclusions on my own, that I could say I thought she was different, or that reality is reality and I hate it when I realize it.

 

Maybe Jiyeon was slowly taking all her feelings back for Soyeon, that’s why she doesn’t want me to know she was going out with her this time, and that made me think it was obvious.

 

Jiyeon liked Soyeon back.

 

But if I’m wrong for all of these, then I could say I was all afraid this time that I couldn’t even say it to her.

 

“You dummy..” I whispered to myself.

 

I sat on the bench for the meantime, and watch how snow falls from the sky. I looked down and gaze at my phone’s screen, realizing how pathetic I am right now.  I don’t even care if it’ll take me for an hour sitting here; I just wanted to be alone. Well, I always wanted to be alone until I met Jiyeon. The one who made me feel this way…

 

Out of a sudden, I heard a sound of a crying pet. I think it was just nearby since I could hear the screams clearly – so I got up and put my phone’s back to my coat’s pocket, not realizing it fell off since I was too focus on where the crying pet’s is at.

 

I went my way on the opposite direction, and look closer to the trees and leaves in front, where I could barely see anything since it was too dark. I started to look around again, and heard it was growling. I bet it was asking for help but since I couldn’t find it, I listened and made its growling sound a guide.

 

Finally I found it, it was there lying under the tree, looking really sad as it can’t move. It was a puppy, and it was injured.

 

“Poor baby..” I quickly grab the puppy from its current position, and so it does the growling sound again, “don’t worry I’ll help you.”

 

I was about to grab my phone to search for a nearby pet’s clinic, but to my surprise I couldn’t find it inside my pocket…

 

“Oh boy… I think I lose it..”

 

So I just decided to start walking and look for a clinic.

 

I took off my scarf and cover the puppy using it, he was shivering while suffering from his leg injured. Oh yeah, I just found out it was a boy, and it was looking at me with his teary eyes and I couldn’t help but to get him to a vet and heal him quickly.

 

I made my steps real fast, and so I can save this poor puppy that was on my arms. I didn’t even bothered my body starts to shiver, since I wanted to help this being – he needs it a lot.

 

“Hyomin!”, a woman called out my attention and so I did turned,

 

“Hyomin!” she screamed again as she run towards me.

 

“Are you okay? What happened to you?”

 

I don’t really want to talk to her.

 

“Hyomin please talk to me, what happened?” she asked again,

 

“Mom, are you following me all this time?” got irritated, so I almost raise my voice onto her.

 

Who wouldn’t get mad knowing someone has been following you?

 

“Please just tell me what happened…” she was really curious to something I don’t know, I couldn’t get her.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I’m sorry for following you. I just wanted to make sure you are safe and doing fine,” she look down and took something out from her bag, right then she continues, “I found your phone. I think you left it, I’m sorry I misunderstand…”

 

I gaze at my phone that was on her hand, and lift up my head as to look on her, got so concern and worried over me for nothing.

 

“Is the puppy alright? Do you need me to drive you to a pet’s clinic?”

 

I took my phone from her, and start to walk away.

 

“Hyomin the weather’s pretty cold; I can’t just let you walk through all the way,”

 

“You don’t need to.”

 

I’m fine.

 

I continued walking and looked for a shelter. I just need to get a cab right now to help this being in need. Yeah, I was being rude again. I should have just accepted her offer but I let my pride float up, or that maybe I don’t want to see her. Or anyone else.

 

Luckily there’s this one cab stop right in front of where I waited. Right now all I wanted to do is to get in the cab, and ask the driver to take me to a pet’s clinic very quickly. It is real urgent.

 

“Hyomin…”

 

I paused since I didn’t expect it was her who was in the cab, showing me that concern look I don’t have an idea on why. How does she knows I’m here?

 

“Are you okay?” the innocent asked, but I couldn’t answer her question since I don’t know why she’s asking me like that?

 

“Why are you asking me that question? And why are you here?” I was furrowing my brows since she’s acting really strange.

 

“I called you, but some unfamiliar voice was answering me..”

 

I couldn’t still get her. So I just went in to the cab and ignore.

 

“Wait! Where are you going?” Jiyeon asked again, “a puppy…?”

 

“If you have nothing to say then please let me take this being to a clinic.” I retorted straightforwardly.

 

Jiyeon was having this question marked on her face, but later on nods as she gets in back into the cab, “let’s go together.”

 

At the pet’s clinic, the vet took care of the injured puppy, glad he was still here, and he was almost going to go home since it was closing time. I and Jiyeon waited as the vet observed the poor puppy, and then later on checks where his injuries at. The vet was doing his job; grab the injection and checks if it works fine by ticking its needle. And so, since the puppy was weak, he couldn’t react to it since he was growling really hard from his injured leg.

 

“The puppy’s fine.” the vet concluded, “but since he was cold, he needs a warm comfort. Did he somehow hit by a car?”

 

“I found him under the tree, abandoned…”

 

“I see…”

 

“I guess this puppy went missing, would you mind if I turn this puppy over to an animal shelter after he’s healed? I’m pretty sure his owner’s looking for him.”

 

The vet requested. Since I’m not the owner, and that knowing he will be fine, I found myself in relief. I’m really glad the puppy’s fine.

 

“Sure. I’m happy he’s fine.” then I replied.

 

After then the vet went home together with the puppy, he said he’ll take care for him. He was kind, he didn’t even ask for fees since he wanted to help too.

 

Now I almost forgot Jiyeon was with me, and that now I had mentioned it, I remembered why I don’t want to see anyone right now.

 

“I’m sorry.” she apologies, “I should’ve just told you…”

 

I don’t want to respond since I don’t want to have a conversation with her. I feel like I don’t want to talk to anyone right now, not that I’m in the bad mood. I just wanted to be alone.

 

“Anyway, who was the woman who answered your phone? I nearly died worrying since it says she wanted to help her daughter?” Jiyeon asked, she was confused too.

 

Hearing her saying such things, I know who did say those things. It was her, well she found my phone and thought of something bad, worried for nothing. Maybe she’s the one who made Jiyeon came here in rush, with her unease expression and her concerns.

 

“Nothing happened.” I said, coldly.

 

I checked the time, and it’s almost 9 in the evening. The snow stopped though, I just noticed that.

 

“I heard you came to my house…” she started again, “I’m sorry I lied.”

 

I am just standing here next to her, quietly.

 

“Well Soyeon asked me to be with her…”

 

“And that she needed me to-”

 

“Can you please just go home now? It’s getting really cold and it’s getting late.” I interrupted her; it was obvious I don’t want her to continue to talk.

 

I can sense she was worried, but I don’t want her to be. I want her to go away from me; I want her to stay away from me for this moment. I don’t really want to see her.

 

Now the girl was even more worried, thanks to my attitude and the way I say those things.

 

“Are you mad?”

 

I am to myself.

 

“It was my fault so I’m sorry.” Jiyeon continued.

 

Please stop saying sorry, you’re not supposed to say sorry about what you felt.

 

“I should have just told you I was with her, so you won’t mind waiting for me.”

 

“But my mom said you have something to say? Can we talk about it tonight?”

 

I don’t want to.

 

“Maybe some other day, I feel so tired tonight.” since I want her to go home, I started to take my steps away from her and not to say goodbye.

 

But then, she grabs my hand. And that I can slowly feel the slightest warm I wanted to feel.

 

“Is something wrong? Please tell me, I’ll be willing to help.”

 

Her touched becomes warmer and I, feeling it in, getting addicted onto it. I want to hug her and say whatever I wanted to say. But I guess my tongue won’t cooperate this time. It felt like it was frozen.

 

“Hyomin? Please don’t keep all the problems and all that bothers you all alone. Remember I’m your friend, we’ll help each other right?” Jiyeon was more sincere this time. Though I wasn’t looking at her, I can sense she was really dead worried. All worried about me.

 

“Let’s just go home.” I pulled my hand away from hers, so I can continue walking away.

 

“Why are you being like this?”

 

Jiyeon walked pass and stop in front of me. I don’t want to look at her, the same way as I don’t want her to look at me.

 

“What’s wrong Hyomin?” she asked again for the second time, “what’s so wrong that I feel like you’re pushing me away just now…”

 

Yeah, she’s right. Why am I starting to push her away?

 

“Tell me. Is it because I lied to you that I was seeing Soyeon rece-”

 

“That’s not it.” finally I found my urge to talk, “it’s not that you lied…”

 

I glimpse at her, and gaze at her stunning eyes. But to hear ‘Soyeon’ from make me weak, because I…

 

“Then what?”

 

“It’s because I…”

 

The girl in front was waiting for me to continue, and that now we’re looking at each other’s eyes, I couldn’t just stare and shut my mouth this time…

 

“Because?”

 

“Because I…”

 

I like you.

 

~~~