Chapter 6

Pink Roses

[JIYEON’S POV]

 

I already checked the time and I do have plenty free hours left. Been to gym with my mom and did jogged for an hour recently, then took a shower and changed my clothes after. The weather’s nice so to my current mood. I’ve dried my wet hair with my black blower while looking at my reflection – that a pretty wide smile could be seen.

 

 

The excitements I get right now lead me to forget about my appointment with Hyomin; yes we’ve decided to meet up and do our part for reporting and I shook my head for that. I exactly don’t have enough free time, sigh. I was preparing more on to go and witness the contest surrounded by the crowd where I’m always at. When MCs starts to mention Soyeon’s name, I smile and shout her name quietly when she stand on the stage, holding that microphone. I always thought I was a supportive fan of hers and completely a secret admirer towards her.

 

 

I logged in to my SNS account and directly tap the search bar. Of course whose name would I type? Soyeon would be the only one and it would always be the only way to stalk her.  I typed her last name – which was no difference with mine; Park, and that’s one of the best immature reasons why I’m happy about loving her. Her full name pops up on list view results, and she was the first in the list since I always search her name every time.

 

 

But unexpectedly my eyes lay underneath Soyeon’s name; it was still Park, but the name was different.

 

 

“Park Hyomin?”

 

 

 

Due to my curiosity I clicked her name instead, the systems lead me to her profile and I was mesmerized a bit. Her smile; yes I’m talking about how bright her smile is on her display photo. A smile unlike she had shown me last night, it was just a split of second though and not as wide as what I witness on her account right now.  A picture which is a full of hope; an optimistic one a lovable and a cheerful one – that I couldn’t even see it through the look on her eyes.

 

 

Maybe Hyomin wasn’t expressionless one; and maybe she was different than I had imagined she would be.

 

 

Two more hours and the contest will start soon. But I’m still here, sitting on a bench and waiting for someone to come. I was 10 minutes early than our decided time to meet up; and I couldn’t stop thinking on my special someone’s stage performance later. I was in a park where I could see a lot of kids playing along with their families; such a great day to go out and have fun with your loved ones. Unfortunately I can’t right now, I could just sigh for the rest of the day.

 

 

“Hey.”

 

 

I turned to left side, and see this Hyomin with her cute outfit.

 

 

“You’re here.” I responded.

 

“Did I take too long?”

 

“Oh not really, actually we’re very early.” then of course I smiled.

 

 

She has a great fashion sense – she was wearing a blue jumper short and a stripe blue with white long sleeve beneath. Black sneakers, brown small backpack on her behind supported by her shoulders and with her cute ponytail made her look pretty. Yeah, I don’t know her that much and I couldn’t deny that she’s freaking gorgeous today. What a great fashionista.

 

 

“So where are we going to study and make some visual aids?” she asked, sitting beside me.

 

“Anywhere you want.” I answered.

 

 

 

Hyomin didn’t respond. I found her looking at the kids playing at the park nearby.

 

 

“How about to my place?” I added. I know exactly what will happen after, “if you don’t mind.”

 

“Okay.” and that was her short answer.

 

 

 

My mom of course would welcome Hyomin. I sent her a message I have a visitor, and her reply was all out a ‘REALLY?!’ with capital letters and exclamation mark. Yup, I know she would react that way; because I haven’t really brought any friends or any classmates to our home and do school paper work or stuff. Been reminding my mom for almost every time that her daughter was a bit loner – or an absolutely, completely loner in school; that doesn’t have any close friends to hang out with every holidays or vacation. She would always believe on me then, but at the same time telling me that it’s not bad to not have friends, or what she call a best friend whom I can lean on. I admit I wanted one, but I can’t just hang out with them. I can’t just. Especially I had this thought I was different from them; with this secret fluttering my heart all alone.

 

 

“Welcome back darling!” my mom welcomed us with her charming smile.

 

 

I went in first before Hyomin could, she was always behind me.

 

 

“And you’re Jiyeon’s friend?” then my mom happily asked, pointing out the brunette behind.

 

“Yes.” she spat haltingly, don’t know why.

 

“Come and have a sit. I’d prepared snacks for you both.”

 

 

We had our snacks for a while and I could see my mom’s excitements. The fruit salad was served at last and the small plates were empty which was filled with sandwiches earlier. Few questions had been asked from my mom to Hyomin, who was sitting calmly like the way she is. She would just respond it gently without doubts. I find her really cool like that with her gesture.

 

 

“Actually, I did summarize the whole thing.” Hyomin spoke out; we were sitting in front of my table beside my bed.

 

“Why?”

 

“Just in case you won’t be against onto it.” she then hand me a 2 pages of short paper.

 

“Oh.. You’re working on it too much. You should’ve contacted me then.”

 

“I don’t have anything to do at home so I’d killed time summarizing it. I don’t know your contact number anyways.” her gaze was on me for a while. I don’t know why she would avoid my stare whenever I caught her up.

 

“So let’s start!” I uttered.

 

 

 Almost one hour has passed, time flew so fast. We did study the historic chapter together and I know she knew it well; for she had done reading it on her own.  I read the papers she gave and she was good on it. The contents were so specific and I was amazed by her skill. The visual aid we had made, it was cute too. It was pretty simple but the important phrases were written.

 

 

“Mind if I borrow your laptop? I’ll do some research for further details, I’ll give you some if you like.”

 

 

I nodded. I was busy pasting the words on a brownish squared paper.

 

 

My eyes fixated on my wrist watch and – it was almost 5pm already. I know the contest will end soon but sadly I couldn’t cheer and watch Soyeon performing live. However, I was a bit glad since I accomplished putting some cheering notes and the most important thing I would always gave her; the light pink rose one. It was a horrible experience being at school at 8pm and got chased by the body guards. Thankfully I found Hyomin, she was like a savior; like she did on that chemistry class not that long ago. But I wondered what she was doing there though.

 

 

Hyomin was kind of mystery to me. I scrolled down on her profile account and had seen photographs posts and stuff. Most of those are, with great fashion and a deep meaning phrase I couldn’t get. Yes, she loves flowers too; I found one of her posts with tons of roses with their blossoms. But the thing I liked the most was her picture – which was I mentioned with her smile.

 

 

I looked on her as she starts to open the laptop, it was still on its sleep mode since I didn’t turned it off earlier. And my peaceful mind with my colorful thoughts faded away; since I remember I leave the SNS on her profile page. I started to worry; I don’t even know what to do.

 

 

“Wait!” I intrude her. Glad she did pause.

 

 

I carried the device away from her – hoping she won’t see any single thing I was searching. My fingers were trembling trying to move the cursor on the upper right corner; trying to log off my account calmly. I wouldn’t want her to know I did look on her SNS though, she would think I was interested then.

 

 

“You’re acting guilty with your actions right now,” she blurted out but I ignored her, “I know you’re gay, Park Jiyeon. So stop staring at me like that.”

 

 

Dang! Why is this girl so damn serious?

 

 

 

“Ahm.. S-sorry. Just a second.” I stuttered.

 

 

 

I didn’t even realize I was glaring at her. Still my fingers were trying to tap the history on my browser to clear them all. Why am I feeling so much guilty in front of her? I could just say I accidentally saw her profile and such. That I was a bit curious that’s why I end up checked her account and get busy a little bit then left it.

 

 

 

But then curiosity has no much difference with interested; and I leave it that way.

 

 

“Your wounds kind of pretty healed,” I changed the topic “I always wanted to ask you what happened but you wouldn’t want me to.”

 

 

The brunette sighs while looking at me. She was tapping the pen on her chin as she looks away.

 

 

“You shouldn’t be concern about me. You shouldn’t do that.” she stated meekly.

 

“Because we’re friends.”

 

“Are we?”

 

“Aren’t we?” I asked her back, feels like she don’t want me to.

 

 

I put back the laptop on the table, making sure it was safe while Hyomin’s using. She didn’t reply with my question, and I get to used it since I won’t force her to. Base on my observation, she would answer it if she found it a necessity to; or an important one to get answered.

 

 

“I wanted to.” I broke the silence so the awkwardness will fade away.

 

 

~~~

 

Author's note: Sooooooooooooooooo how was it? xD