Chapter 22

Pink Roses

[JIYEON’S POV]

It’s almost 6 in the morning but I’m still here, cuddling myself on my bed. Actually, I didn’t get much sleep last night since Hyomin’s words made me feel unease –

 

“Forget about it. It’s none of your business.”

 

But I know there’s something behind on it. I’ve known her for months now, but maybe it’s not enough for me to read what’s on her mind. One thing for sure I had observed, there’s this thing that Hyomin wanted to utter but again there’s this thing that made her not to. Is it about her family? I didn’t get much heard about her family though since she haven’t even mentioned any. I know she’s living alone for now, but I couldn’t visit her for I don’t know her address and that she doesn’t want me to know.

 

Is it because she’s alone? Or am I thinking too much?

 

“Jiyeon get up now. You’ll be going late at school.” my mom knocked at my door thrice, I know she’s persistent so better to get up.

 

“Alright..” I said almost murmuring.

 

I got up and took a shower. There’s no any minute I won’t think about her. I am worried, I think that’s natural. But the other won’t even say a thing, and that makes me bother a lot.

 

I pulled one of my drawers and place the unnecessary book for today. Well, it’s Monday again. Another day for stressful lessons that I couldn’t get that much or a day with full of surprise quiz or just another boring Monday. Above all those things I need to go, I wanted to see my inspiration and find my urge to ask her back about what exactly happened to her. I’ll so get crazy when I’m worried over something.

 

“Your dad asked me about where you wanna go study college?”

 

Mom placed the omelette right in front of me as she was pouring the fresh milk on my glass. Took a small bite and swallowed it slowly before I say my reply.

 

“Seoul University”

 

“Great choice.” she sat in front and nods a few times, “your father will be happy about it.”

 

“Because he studied there too?”

 

“Not that. It’s because you’re growing old now, you even started to make decisions by yourself.”

 

I smiled. I know if I would say I don’t know where to, mom and dad will probably recommend me some universities and if it sound great and good to them, I’ll follow it afterwards.

 

“Wasn’t I still a kid for you?” I asked, almost giggling.

 

“Yeah you are with your stupid things. I am still waiting for that one day that a guy will bravely visit you here and ask us your hand-”

 

“Mom!” I pouted, well she started it again.

 

She laughed at me. My mother really loves to tease me.

 

“One day you’ll become a woman with someone you love, and I will be just right here, supporting.” she smiled graciously, and without any doubt she continued, “and I’ll be really, really happy for you when that happens.”

 

I don’t know what to reply. I mean it was so sudden, and very odd for me to her hear say such thing. So I smiled at her indicating I was thankful to have a mother like her – a mom who’s supportive for everything about what I do. A mother who’s always there, giving me positive hopes and giving much care for me, I couldn’t ask for more about that. A lovable mother whom I treasure a lot, and that I’m afraid to hurt her for that one day she’ll find out who I really am.

 

I’m afraid she’ll get disappointed about who I really am.

 

It’s almost 7 in the morning when I had my way to campus. I’m still not late, so I walked directly to my locker as I came in to school and prepared my things hoping it’ll be fine today. I close and left my locker with 2 books and a notebook as it wasn’t needed and fix my scarf warmly and head my way to my classroom.

 

“Good morning Jiyeon” a warm and cute voice from someone was greeting me,

 

“Oh! Good morning too.” and I greeted back.

 

Soyeon smiled and start her conversation with good news on it. I am happy for her about what she had just said, I won’t mind bother thinking about it anymore.

 

“Thanks for your help. If it’s not for you I would have given up.” she uttered.

 

“Say thank you to yourself too, if it’s not for you this will never happen.”

 

We smiled to each other as she giggles feeling really satisfied. That Qri purely loves the cuter a lot, I can tell. She won’t just let her go just because of a pink rose given from someone they don’t know, and now that I stop doing so, I can sense everything about their relationship will go well.

 

I can now sigh in relief.

 

“We should have lunch together sometimes,” Soyeon requested, “you know, I do regretted not knowing you that much from the start.”

 

I giggled. We knew each other since we’re schoolmates, but didn’t get much closer since I was way too afraid to approach her that time.

 

“Deal?”

 

“Why not?” I smiled again, and I saw a very happy Soyeon right beside me.

 

But then again my smiled disappeared when I saw Hyomin – she was standing right there with her rigid posture. The quiet girl took her steps; coming towards the locker room without any words came from . It’s weird. She would always say ‘good morning’ to me every morning, Hyomin was very pleasant towards me everyday but now I don’t know why she isn’t right now..

 

This makes me worried more.

 

“Hyomin..” I intrude her attention; glad she turned her head on me, “good morning!” and I waved my hands with my sheepish smile.

 

Hyomin just nodded.

 

What’s wrong with her?

 

“I think I should go now, music club members might have some a minute meeting.” the cuter said her goodbyes,

 

“Oh okay..”

 

I came my way towards Hyomin, I really wanted to know what’s gotten onto her. Remembering her actions and the things she said last night, I couldn’t just let this be. She could just say what she’s been up to to me so I could help her out. Unfortunately she’s still the Hyomin I used to know – who don’t bother tell anyone about what’s wrong since she wanted to solve it herself.

 

I can’t stand seeing her being like this.

 

“Let’s go together to classroom.” I started, I could only say that to her.

 

The brunette wouldn’t respond. She was busy piling her books and then closes her locker as if I didn’t exist right in front of her. Did I do something wrong?

 

“Is something wrong?” I asked again the same thing, persistently.

 

Hyomin smiled – but it wasn’t a blooming and charming smile.

 

“Let’s just go, we might get late for our first subject.” instead, the brunette changed the topic and tapped my shoulder as saying we should go ahead for now.

 

And I did follow her.

 

Class has started and students were so focus on the lessons. Of course, advance projects and assignments were packed up since winter vacation will happen soon. Stress was over student’s mind and I wasn’t exceptional. I wrote all of the assignments given by our teachers, so I won’t be forgetting it. I really hate assignments, like we’re suppose to enjoy our vacation but here we are having these tasks to do at home and my mind won’t get relax since I always bother remembering those. Oh well, school life. I’ll get graduate soon, and soon it’ll be worst than this since college, they say, is more stressful than high school.

 

The school ring rang indicating its lunch time. So we students went our way to cafeteria to take our meals.

 

“Don’t you feel they’ve been torturing us?”

 

The girl in front raised her brows, hovering her chopsticks as she was waiting for me to further.

 

“I mean, look at all these assignments…” I pouted and sigh, very tired just by thinking about it.

 

“Well, we could do it one by one first before we start to celebrate our vacation.” Hyomin mutters.

 

“And then we’ll have to decorate our classroom with Christmas decors.” I sigh, starts to dig my chopsticks on my lunchbox.

 

Hyomin smiled, and stop eating while she stares at me.

 

“Stop complaining, its ugly.” and there you go, she just wrinkled her nose and its way too cute.  

 

Pouting, and since I can’t resist her cuteness I just look away and continues my meal.

 

“Anyway, I decided to go study at Seoul University for college.” I start to converse again, as I want her to know where I really want to study.

 

“Oh, I was planning to go there too..”

 

I paused and look on her. There’s this little tiny thing that starts to expand right in my feels, wanting me to jump off since I was really happy hearing her saying she’ll go to university the same as me.

 

“Really?”

 

And the brunette nodded.

 

“Really???” I asked again wanting to make sure.

 

“Yes I will, I even prepared some papers for review. I heard it’s a good university.”

 

Hyomin really is a hardworking student. I wish I was like her.

 

“You sure prepared a lot for this huh,” I gulped my pineapple juice and packed back my lunchbox since I’m done.

 

The other just smiled without saying anything. I wonder what’s on her mind. She was really not in the mood recently but now it all changed. Is Hyomin a bipolar person or?

 

“Do you have any plans after class?”

 

We were heading our way back to our classroom. Feeling relax since we heard our teacher for next subject won’t meet us and take lessons today.

 

“I planned to do advance assignments.”

 

“You sure?”

 

Hyomin sat on her desk and lift her head on me, giving me her lovable look as always.

 

“Why won’t we do it together? That way you won’t get stress about doing it on vacation days.” she stated calmly, very confident.

 

Will be very happy to be with her always, so why not?

 

“Sure, if you don’t mind.” I replied with my very shy laugh.

 

After class we directly headed our way to my home. Hyomin said to do all of those in our house, since she feel comfortable doing it there other than on her dorm. As expected, I said yes and she even asked again if it was okay. After realizing she had mentioned about her dorm, I did ask her about it but she won’t say anything. I don’t know why I feel like she’s trying to hide something, but since she don’t want to I won’t force her. We might argue about it afterwards.

 

My mom as always would welcome her, my father did too since he got home early from work. We had dinner together and Hyomin was so shy at first, so I drag her out from the couch to the dining table to take meals. I don’t know if I could consider her as my bestfriend, but the way my parents treat her and the comfortable feeling I get when I’m with her, I think it is counted.

 

“Where should we start?”

 

The smarty girl directly put out her pen and notebook. She literally brought all her books and put it on my desk. I find her very nerd for that.

 

“Let’s start with chemistry.”

 

“I hate that subject.” I rolled my eyes but grab the book in the end.

 

We both started our own assignments, whenever I had questions I always ask Hyomin and she will do her best to explain it to me. I’m really glad I have a friend like her, since then my grades went better than my previous because she would always nag at me to study. Though hard headed, her charms hit me that made me to do so. She was a good influence to me, and I am happy she changed me a little bit about being a lazy student to somehow a little not too hardworking one. That made me like her even more, and right here being by her side, made me feel so complete.

 

We successfully done all 5 assignments in one night, the other was really tired I guess since she fell asleep on the desk. Her facial were visible though, so I, wide awake, grab the opportunity to stare at this beautiful being. I love her eyes and smiles the most, they were beyond a beauty. I stood up and transferred my chair next to her, not letting any scrapping sound to not wake her up.

 

I lay my head and gaze at Hyomin all I want. I feel like it’s unlimited since she doesn’t know I was staring at this sleeping beauty dreaming next to me.  I fixed some of her strands of hair, destroying the view and tucked it behind her ears.

 

It was a beautiful silence looking at Hyomin. It was a great feeling. I thought of wanting her to know about what I feel.

 

“Hyomin….”

 

“I love you..”

 

~~~