Chapter 7

Pink Roses

[HYOMIN’S POV]

 

Books were piled on my desk and a documentation page was on my browser. I was reviewing with our assigned chapter for the last time, making sure I won’t be able to forget any important events on it. The last two paragraphs that I had putted so much effort, reading it for the third time silently but carefully. I stretch out my arms as I felt my back starts to ache; I had been sitting here for almost an entire day doing research and watched some music videos when I felt the boredom starts to dominate me. 

 

 

I made a good posture again and back to read those paragraphs for the last time. I had been tired all day preparing for possible surprise quizzes and some boring orientation our teacher would make. Once I had started to read each sentences on the short bond paper, my attention got interrupted when I heard my message ringtone on my phone that was beside me all the time. My eyelids were starting to get heavy so I tapped my cheeks with my both palms as to make myself awake. Took my phone as its screen was still on, and an unknown number pops up on it with its message.

 

 

Hi! I never get a chance to thank you yesterday, thanks for the summarize papers and stuff. It’s a big help for me and for discussing it, thanks a lot. It’s me, Jiyeon ^^V

 

 

It took me for a while to think of whether to reply or not. There won’t be any problem to not reply anyway, but it would feel uncomfortable and rude to not give some. I tapped the type message and clicked on the letters that were provided on the screen keyboard. Making it quick for I’m too tired and needed to finish these things up, I should get up early tomorrow for another school weekdays.

 

 

No problem.

 

 

And that was my short answer.

 

 

I turned off my laptop as well as putting my notes back in my bag. Ready to burry my numb body on my cozy bed; I got up turning the swivel chair where I sat on.  The cold breeze went in to my lone room, so I did close the window for I don’t want to get cold after. A sigh came out from my mouth, my mom would always call me to have some dinner together but I was still here, didn’t even listen. Instead I went on my bed to just clear things out on my mind and ready to rest, wanted to have some sleep for at least 8 hours tonight.

 

 

My eyes quickly opened when a sudden bicker noise happened. It never get surprise me for I’m always used onto it – the vulgar, the screaming to the other that came from her heart and the pride from the other party. I could clearly hear those painful words they’d uttered and the sobbing noise from my mom. I couldn’t do anything except hiding in my room and to ignore everything; about the violence my father had made when he got home drunk and penniless and about my mom who got bruises on her poor-weaken body, crying.

 

 

I didn’t even move an inch; instead I closed my eyes just to get some sleep. But I got up with my heavy steps clenching my hands coming my way downstairs, having these guts I have even though I know I wasn’t that brave enough to face it – and there, I saw my mom groaning from that tight grip my dad gave, doing the same thing all over again.

 

 

“What do you want huh? What do you want?!” a scream from my arrogant dad, widening his eyes though seem he’s too drunk for doing that.

 

“Why are you reversing things right now? Why are you telling me that things happened were my entire fault!” my mom defended, her tears flowing non-stop.

 

 

 

I wanna run and walk away from this place. I just couldn’t bear it anymore hearing those exchanging vicious words. My heart was wrenching itself just the thought of losing a hope of them both not going to make things up. But then I escaped from my dark-coward side and intended to stop him for hitting her again, I could tell he would after pushing her away, led her to growl in pain on the ground.

 

 

“Stop..” I mumbled seeing signs he would do violence against her.

 

 

Rush and heavy steps I take, I came towards him to stop him. I wanted him to stop. I just wanted him to stop. I know my words were not enough to make him pause and calm this mess on my own but I don’t wanna hear those things anymore – those things I’d heard since I was 8 and now it’s been so much years they were still arguing onto it.

 

 

I found my courage to face my dad – which a demon was guiding him to an evil path for a half of his entire life. But a furious and heavy slap landed on my cheek, that I could even feel my cheeks turned reddish and the pain on it.

 

 

“How dare you - ” my mom quickly got up, coming towards me, “Don’t you dare touch her!”

 

 “That’s what you’re good at.” my father left grabbing his coat, bringing his ego and his false thoughts.

 

 

I feel like I got even more number from the mental and emotional pang I had suffered for a long time now. My mother was holding her tears but she couldn’t anymore for she had been doing that all the time. I felt her warm embrace but coldness slowly dominating it. She was trembling while giving me those tight and safe hug, could even feel how her heart beats double different from how it usually does.

 

 

“Mama is sorry…” she whispers through my ear apologizing something she shouldn’t, “please forgive me.”

 

 

I couldn’t say I was a good daughter to her. I don’t even want to hug her back.

 

 

“I just wanted to have a happy family,” her voice got cracked. And her endless sobbing came after,

 

“Mama is sorry.  Please forgive your mama…”

 

 

I don’t wanna cry but tears would fall unknowingly.

 

 

 

The class started a minute ago but I’m here leaning my head against the table in the library. Don’t want exactly to affect my studies with my family problems – but I don’t want to face anything or just to listen for I couldn’t even concentrate then. I leave myself remaining silent since that last night. Didn’t even took my breakfast for I don’t want to see my mom with her swollen eyes. I don’t like it. I hated to see it that much.

 

 

Small yawn came from me since I was sleepless, could even see it through my dark eye bags but fortunately I covered it up with some baby white powder so people won’t see.

 

 

“Hyomin?” a familiar sound awakened me from my thoughts.

 

“Why aren’t you in the class? Are you okay?” the brunette sat next to me, asking me that question rapidly.

 

“I’m fine just need to have enough sleep.” I retorted.

 

 

I always thought this girl beside me was a completely loner; but I realize it wasn’t. She would probably say she is, but her attitude she had shown me and all the things she does, it wasn’t for me. I don’t know it’s either she’s that comfortable with me that I don’t want to bother ask why. Well, we could say people acted to their fellow humanity as they like – to treat them nicely or vice versa for treating them unpleasantly. Anyway life is all like that.

 

 

“Our teacher wasn’t around but she left some attendance sheet on her desk.” Jiyeon uttered.

 

“And I listed your name.”

 

 

I furrowed my brows. Why would she do that?

 

 

“Why?” I asked uncomfortably to her.

 

“Because we’re friends right? I was just saving you up.” the later grinned taking her little notebook from her bag pack.

 

“From lying?” I disapprovingly speak up curving my lips downwards, “don’t do it next time.”

 

 

Jiyeon could barely reply, looking at her rare eyes.

 

 

“Okay..” she bowed down, felt scared I guess?

 

 

I buried my face again, hoping I could take a nap for 10 minutes. I could feel the rummage sound Jiyeon had made, searching something in her bag but silently.

 

 

“Where’s my pen?” she was asking to herself.

 

 

Right after, I felt some scraping sound from the chair in front, made me not to get sleep for it distracted me. I purposely sat in the library because annoying noise was prohibited, but I’m here suffering from it. Dang these students, hope they won’t make some anymore and make me sleep for a while. Meanwhile Jiyeon went silent I wondered what she was doing so I sneak at her.

 

 

“Hi Jiyeon!” an angelic voice greeted her. It wasn’t too loud and thankfully she did that.

 

“H-hi.” The brunette beside me responded, but why in an embarrassing sound?

 

 

The later kept on rummaging, just what the hell is she doing?

 

 

“Looking for something?” again the girl in front retorted, I wondered who she was so I check her up.

 

 

A warm and cheerful smile could be seen on her. She was looking at shy type Jiyeon who couldn’t look on her straight. The glorious spark on her eyes, and her curved small lips upwards – which look her more pretty felt like sent from above. Ah, it was the only girl who Jiyeon told me she was; the girl with bangs when I witnessed the lovely secret from her. The innocent admiration and the pure heart she had with those fluttering feelings I know she’d felt. Yup it was no other than her crush; her name was Park Soyeon if I’m not mistaken.

 

 

“I-I think I lose…my p-pen.” the girl smiled awkwardly, I hate it because she was too obvious.

 

“Why won’t you use this for a while?” Soyeon handed her that pen with cute bunny cap.

 

 

Jiyeon didn’t say anything for thanking her. I find it weird but cute at the same time. So I stamped her foot just to lead her to reality; I know she was fantasizing again this time.

 

 

“Ouch!” Jiyeon screamed, making Soyeon startled a bit.

 

“Shhhh!” the librarian complained.

 

 

“A-are you okay?” then Soyeon whispered worriedly.

 

 

She was staring at me with her terrified look. I just gave her a straight face and act like nothing happened.

 

 

“Thanks for the pen.” finally she had spoken, now realized.

 

“Soyeon, I found the book.” a familiar girl approached on her, hovering those books as she mentioned its title.

 

“Thanks Qri. Now I don’t need to waste my time anymore.” the girl with bangs giggled. No doubt Jiyeon fell in love with her.

 

“Shall we go now for other references?”

 

“We’ll do it anyway.”

 

 

The two girls left and I glance at Jiyeon who was looking at her strolling away. Slightly shook my head for witnessing that kind of stuff, but it would be so awkward if she’ll end up glare at Soyeon like that with some suspicious meaning she could observe. I just did what’s necessary.

 

“You’re dumb,” I uttered “just act like you normally do in front of her, you’re making things too complicated.”

 

“Sorry then,” she apologizes, “but you shouldn’t do that.” then pouted.

 

 

I find it really cute seeing this side of Jiyeon.

 

~~~