Chapter 7

Falling Slowly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Morning wasn't as bad as it seemed. Besides the definitive jetlag, everything about the food and weather was great.

After breakfast, the two met with Ancil who had decided to take them into one of the picturesque shopping district where one would think of as a somewhat dangerous looking street during the night time but secure enough to walk around during the day. Walking around from one shop to another, the two of them were not disappointed with what it everyone of them had to offer. They didn't leave one shop without having to buy one or two things they didn't like.

Basically, the whole day spent shopping in the secret corners and streets, eating old fashion Parisian cuisines, and discovering and enjoying the open and the hidden natures of Paris. 

It was around six in the evening when Ancil belatedly forgot to tell them that his wife had them invited for dinner. The two, especially Seohyun, had doubts about the invitation being somewhat strangers and all but Yonghwa brushed it off and convinced Seohyun that it was a great idea. She did cringe of the wrong possibilities the invitation could go but also had to reconsider thinking that it would be rude to reject just because of prejudice.

So here they are, an hour and a half later somewhere near the border to the countryside standing in front of a beautiful chateau.

"Shall we?" The old man said as he opened the door.

Yonghwa and Seohyun were hesitant and confused at the situation.

"Ancil, is this?" Yonghwa asked like a fool with his mouth agape.

"My home. Welcome." The old man said gleefully and pulled them towards the living room where they were greeted with loud voices.

The living room was packed with people who seem to be watching some movie. Making a head count, with the three of them added to the adult group, they totalled to eleven and for the kids - teenagers, preteens and toddlers, they totalled to sixteen.

"Bonsoir a tous! (Good evening everyone!)" Ancil hollered catching the attention of everybody.

All at once, the kids went to chaos and raced to give him a hug.

"Papi!" A little girl said as she held on to his leg.

The others took turn and gave the old man kisses and followed by the adults.

"Sont-ils notre visiteur?" (Are they our visitors?) One of the women asked.

"Yes. Everybody, I would like to introduce, Mr. and Mrs. Jung." Ancil said and the two of them bowed.

"Bonsoir. You can call me Yonghwa and this is my wife, Seohyun." He said and everyone of them gave a handshake even the little ones.

"You two seem oddly young to be married." Jean commented.

"Uhm, I'm actually twenty seven and my wife is twenty five." He blushed answering the man.

"I leave you here for a moment. I will go and see my wife." Ancil said and retreated somewhere.

They looked around the room and saw that all eyes were on them. They weren't looking at them in a bad way. Seohyun felt a little uncomfortable with the stares that her hand automatically reached out to grab Yonghwa's sleeve.

Yonghwa turned to look at her and he felt worried when she grabbed his sleeve. "What's wrong? Are you feeling uncomfortable anywhere?" He asked in  a hushed tone in Korean.

"Aniyo. It's just -" She bit her lip and held his sleeve tighter.

One of Ancil's daughter, Adeline Jin, chuckled when she heard what the two were talking about. 

"Okay. That's enough everybody. Back to the movie." She told everyone and most of them, especially the kids turned their attentions back to the tv.

Yonghwa looked confused for a moment and realized what just happened. "You understand Korean?" He blurted in without even noticing he spoke in Korean.

"Dang-yeonhajo. Half of us do. Our mother is Korean." She said smiling to them.

"Oh yeah. I forgot about that." Yonghwa laughed at himself.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude." Seohyun apologized for no reason reverting the conversation into English.

Jin laughed. "Why are you sorry? We're the ones who's supposed to be apologizing. So, a representative for the family, I would like to apologize for having stared and making both of you uncomfortable."

Seohyun smiled guiltily. "It's okay."

A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter