Chapter 30

Falling Slowly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lounging in her library and reading a book, Seohyun is enjoying a relaxing afternoon while her kids were taking a nap.

With a creak of the door opening and tiny footsteps following, she lowered her book and saw a sleepy Hanbi walking towards his mother.

She smiled and placed her bookmark before putting the book backdown.

"Hello, sweetie." She said opening her arms to the four year old.

"U-umma." He whimpered and hugged her laying his head on her chest to go back to sleep.

Seohyun looked at the wallclock and saw that it hadn't been an hour since she had them take the nap. She leaned back and made sure her son was sleeping securely on her chest before lifting her legs up.

Its been five years since the family welcomed the twins and six since Haneul came knocking.

Five years. She said thinking of her husband and how her family grew. Petting her son's hair and tracing his adorable face, she can't help but notice that he was growing up looking more like his father.

"Looks and personalities alike." She giggled and Hanbi squirmed whimpering as if he knew his mother was teasing him.

 

"Umma, Hanbi's missing again." Haneul said stepping in on her library.

Seohyun smiled and put her book down showing the face of the waking child.

"Ei~. Hanbi-ah. Appa is already jealous of you." Haneul said and sat next to the both of them.

She couldn't help but laugh. "Did you have a good nap, little cat?"

"Yes, ma-" Haneul stopped.

Seohyun knew she was about to call her maman and for a couple of days now, she noticed that she had stopped calling her maman and she brushed it off but not today.

Putting her book down. She pulled Haneul closer to her and gently placed her hand on her face.

"What's bothering you, my little sky?" She continued to speak in French.

Haneul just shook her head and hugged her by the waist.

"You know you can tell me everything, right?" She said encouraging the little girl to talk.

Haneul looked up and straight into her eyes. She saw the curiousity, sadness and fear etched on the little girl's face.

"Baby, what is it?" Seohyun pushed getting more worried and seeing the tears forming in Haneul's eyes.

"My name is Seo Catherine Haneul." She answered.

"Yes, you are Seo Catherine Haneul. Who else are you supposed to be." Seohyun said and gave her a peck on her forehead.

Haneul hid her face on her side and sobbed.

This caught her by surprise. She stood up carrying a dazed Hanbi, she told Haneul to wait for her there while she have butler Joon and Mama Wang watch over the twins. She got back to the library as soon as she could and closed the door gently.

"What's making you sad, Haneul?" She asked carrying the little girl into her lap.

Haneul shook her head and hiccupped trying to stop herself from crying.

This was the first time Haneul kept a secret - and a painful one at that - from her. Seeing her trying hard to supress her tears only to let it fall made Seohyun start tearing up herself.

"Please, baby. Maman hates seeing you cry. Please." Seohyun pleaded letting her tears fall.

Haneul wiped her tears and looked at her straight in the eyes and said, "You *hic* 're not my maman."

"W-what?" She blurted and gently cupped the young girl's face. "W-why would you say that?"

Haneul sniffled and let her forehead drop on her shoulder.

"Umma is not my maman and Appa is not my papa." She said again.

"W-what are you talking about, Catherine?" She can't possibly know, could she? Seohyun asked herself.

Haneul wiped her tears and bowed her head and started fidgeting with Seohyun's hand. "I heard my classmates' ummas saying that I was adopted that's why my name is Seo Catherine Haneul. They said only umma wanted me that's why my family name is Seo and not Jung."

"What?" The two of them turned to see where the angry voice came from.

"Oppa, y-you're home." Seohyun said.

Haneul kept her head down and hugged Seohyun tighter.

Yonghwa walked across the room and gave Seohyun a peck before kneeling down and lifting Haneul's face.

"Hi, sweetie." Yonghwa said wiping her face with his handkerchief and kissing her forehead. "Why are you crying?"

She turned her face away and he resorted to asking Seohyun instead. She repeated what the little girl said and rubbed Haneul's back who started to cry again.

"Why would they say that?" He mouthed the words to her.

Seohyun just sighed and told him to calm down because his already in her badside as it is.

"But I didn't do anything wrong." He argued still mouthing the words.

"It doesn't matter because to her, you did. So why don't you go change and see the twins while I'll talk to her." She mouthed back.

Yonghwa pouted but knew he can't say no to his wife. "Fine. But I'll come back in a bit."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter