Chapter 16

Falling Slowly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"And this one was when I first took her to the beach." The voice of the old man was rough and quiet. Even so, happiness was evident in it.

A merry hum was all she heard from his companion followed by the sound of paper and plastic being crumpled.

"Eoh? What about this one?" Soojung asked pointing to the picture of a little Seohyun laughing covered in mud somewhere near a river. "Wah~. I knew she was a pretty kid but she's really beautiful when she laughs freely."

The old man adjusted his glasses and looked at the picture.

He chuckled. "Ah. It's been so long yet I remember clearly when this happened." He stopped to cover his mouth.

"Drink this, haraboji." She said handing him a glass of water.

The old man took the glad and raised it as if to say thanks before drinking it all.

"I think I bothered you too much. I should leave and let you rest." Soojung said feeling guilty that she'd taking hours of rest from the old man.

"Nonsense." The old man answered waving his hand. "In few weeks or days time, I will be resting eternally."

She bit her lip knowing what he meant.

"For now," he added holding the young girls hand, "I wish to spend more time talking with people and sharing memories. So, do you wish to know how even with my old age, that I still remember this picture?"

She nodded her head. "Neh haraboji."

"I remember this picture very well for the reason that, even after a year of taking her under my wing, my precious gem and your unnie, have always only known to give our courteous smiles to people she knew."

"Unnie did?! But-but she was like what? Five-six years old in this picture?" Soojung exclaimed in disbelief.

The old man laughed. "Six years old. You see, my son and his wife may have given life to her but when it came to norturing and raising her. They left it in the aid of countless nannies and maids."

"Eoh? How many?" She asked cutting in.

"Hmm, more or less twenty nannies and maids all in all." He answered.

"Daebak! Umma and appa left us in the care of ahjumma but only when they needed to travel very far. But with twenty..." She said with eyes wide.

He laughed again. "Not simultaneously, you silly child."

"Oh..." Soojung's face turned a little pink.

"Anyway," the old man continued clearing his throat. "Out of those nannies and maids, none of them ever had the intentions of showering her with love and care. It was clear that they only accepted the job for the money and nothing more. I tried to convince my son to let her live under my care but his wife, that leeching wrench, did her best efforts to deny me of my grandchild."

Soojung winced hearing haraboji's contempt for his long dead in-law.

"And after that dreadful accident, I was given full custody of my gem. She was very distant with me at first and even did her best avoiding me as much as possible. Mrs. Wang told me once that when she heard my car pull out of the drive-way, she sneaked into my office and started making a mess of it looking for any familiar storybook. Mrs. Wang called me that day telling me this and I made sure to get off work early just to buy her lots and lots of books fit for kids her age."

"She is so weird even as a child but I still really like her." Soojung commented with a foolish smile on her face.

"After I came home, I found the silly girl in my library trying to read one of my old english detective novels. I called for her and she greeted me almost running out the door to hid behind Mrs. Wang again. I gave her one of the books and that was when she first showed me her courteous smile. Then later on, when we thought she had gone missing, one of the maids found her in the corner room down the second floor hall with the rest of the books I bought for her scattered all over the room."

Soojung laughed. "I never knew she liked books even at that age. I wonder if she still likes books more than oppa."

"You silly girl." The old man said and they laughed at the thought.

"Back to the story, haraboji." She said asking him to continue.

The old man motioned for water and she gave it to him drinking one glass full before continuing.

"I had the wall to that and the next collapsed so that she could have her own library. After sometime, I started taking her out to get to know her more and give her precious memories. Then, on her sixth birthday and first birthday that she spent with me, I told her that she and I are going camping somewhere near a river. She was neither curious or happy with the idea because I forbade her to bring any of the books with her. I even caught her asking Mrs. Wang to take her with her instead. Even so, I still brought her there and to my surprise, she actually screamed 'Woah!' when she saw the scenery and the place we were camping at. I set-up camp and told her to stay nearby where I can see her but nowhere near the water."

"Please tell me that she disobeyed you. It would be really awesome to about it." Soojung pleaded half joking and half serious.

He chuckled and gave her forehead a little flick. "I finished setting up and was placing out things inside when I heard water splash. Instantly, I panicked and ran towards the river screaming her name but when I turned, I saw her jumping on a puddle, giggling and screaming as mud hit her face. Her laughter was so precious that I almost fainted in delight hearing them. She turned and saw me but she didn't stop instead she jumped more and more. One second and I remembered I brought my camera with me and was very much lucky to have captured that image of hers."

"Wow. That was a long story but I really loved it." Soojung said tracing the imaged with her finger. "I'm guessing even oppa doesn't know about this one right?"

"No, he does not." He answered.

"Who does not what?" Seohyun asked as she knocked entering the room.

"Eoh? Soojungie, what are you doing here?" She asked seeing the girl sitting comfortably on the bed next to the old man.

"Unnie!" Soojung jumped down and tackled the older girl.

"Soojung-ah, you're going to break

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter