The good heart

Let it go

 

Eunji

I feel empty. Min Jung left 2 weeks ago. I haven't spoke with my boss yet. The fact that I handed my resignation letter. We both knew that it's just for formality.  My office was still intact. I knew that  the big bosses won't let me go. I finished all  the pending projects at my home.  I went to the office and hand in the finished projects.

"Thank God you show up," my boss hugged me. It's open in our office how close our boss to his sub ordinates. "I don't want to call you."

"The 3 projects are all done. Hmmmm... I'm bored. Anything in the store?"

"You sure look like otherwise you didn't finish these all," my boss sounds really proud. " Oh, I have something that came in the other day. Christmas."

"Christmas? You realize that it's like a week away don't you?" I looked at him.

"Honey, someone from an orphanage requested your service. The manager of the orphanage saw your works and requested if you can do something with their celebration for the Christmas."

"Orphanage? Hmmm.. that's interesting. I can do that. It wouldn't be that hard. Where is the orphanage? I can go right away." For some reason I was excited  with what my boss wants me to do. It would be interesting to work with kids. Innocent kids. No one to criticize what ever my work.

"Oh my gosh! I was afraid you're going to reject it. I'll have the details in your desk in few minutes."

"Okay. I'm going to say hello to Mr. Lee." I disappeared from  the office without waiting for my boss' answer. I found Chan Young engrossed in his computer. I jumped and back hugged him.

"What the..?! Jung Eun Ji!" He got up and returned the hug. "How are you? How was the wedding? Omo.. I saw the photos. You were sooo pretty. I wonder if no man fell inlove with that beauty."

I hit him in the head. "can you just say I am pretty period."

"Fine Miss Jung. So are you back?"

"Not totally. The boss gave me a project for an orphanage. I'll probably be back after Christmas. I'll be doing works outside the office though."

"ooohhhhh.... Any plans for Christmas?"

"Hmmmm, going home and spend the holidays with my sister. You?"

"With the family. Girlfriend's coming  for a visit after Christmas."

"Kuuu... why don't you just get married." I .

"After I marry you off." Chan Young retaliated.

"Ah..shush! Can you people leave me alone." I pouted. "I'll see you before I go home." I left and picked up the project details from my desk. I drove around the city trying to get an inspiration. I park downtown and walked around Gwanghamun. I sat and watched the people passed by. Tourist. locals. Men. Women. Teens. Kids. The orphanage project just want some lighting to make a difference from their previous celebration and make it more exciting for the children.

I decided to walk to Seoul tower. The darkness started to crept in and the lights slowly fighting it's way with the darkness. I found a spot and waited for darkness to cover the city.

I waited for 30 minutes before I can see the full beauty of Seoul at night. I took few photos and stayed another half hour feasting at the beautiful sight.

 

I went down to the orphanage the next day. Oh.. cute kids of all ages. I talked to the volunteers and kids what do they want.

"You're the oldest here, what do you want for Christmas to happen in here. You see, I want to do some lighting effects for Christmas. Do you have any idea?" I asked the 15 years old boy who was taking care of the infants.

"I just want everybody here to be happy." he answered shyly.

"And what is happiness to them?" Darn! I shouldn't have asked that. Who knows what he'll answer.

"To be with the family. Warm room. Warm food. Presents."

"And you, if santa claus will ask you. What would you want for Christmas?" My heart went soft with this boy. While boys his age are out there playing games. Out with friends. Gallivanting. Here he doing the job of a woman, helping out and taking care of kids. I felt embarrassed and ashamed of myself. He shook her head. "Comeon, don't be shy." But he didn't budge. He left as he ran after two kids fighting.

The manager showed me around the facility. My hats off to these people who spends their time taking care of children not related to them.

"How many kids in each room?" I asked as we approached the bedrooms.

He opened one. My brows raised. There were posters of Bigbang on the wall. Maybe a girls room since it's clean and neat. "This is Ha Neul's room. He's the oldest. He shares it with 3 youngers boys. That boy. I don't know what to do with out him."

"I think I met him earlier. He takes care of the younger ones."

The manager nodded and sighed. "Such a bright and smart kid. He has a bright future."

"Hmmm... He likes kpop?" I pointed at the posters.

He smiles. "If there's one thing you couldn't get him off with. Listening and watching the Bigbang. Sometimes the whole facilities  screams of Bigbang songs. Even the toddlers dances with the beat of the song. Much that I want to stop him. I can't do anything. That makes him happy. I think that's his dream. Something about music."

I went home with an idea of how to create the light effects. A colorful lightings. Colors that symbolizes happines. Future. love. I've been working since I came home from the facility. I even forgot dinner. Screw dinner. I have to finish it. There's few more days before  Christmas and I want them to enjoy it the whole season.

I stretched my hands and hit play to watch my creation. My eyes creased. Holy smokes! It's almost 5 in the morning. I'm satisfied with my work and hit save. I got up and poured myself a glass of milk. I need sleep. I turned off all the lights and hit the bed.

I woke up and checked the time. It's past noon. I had plans to go Christmas shopping. Well, I don't have much people in my list. My sister and his boyfriend. Chan Young. My boss and colleagues. I called the orphanage if I can pick up Ha Neul. I decided to pick up small presents for the kids in the facilities. The manager was so nice to allow Ha Neul help me pick up presents.

I asked him what the kids wants. He really knows the kids at the facility. We  had it all wrapped and wrote names on the presents.

"Uhmm.. noona," he started as we load the bags in my car.

"you want something?" I asked.

"Uhm... I'm wondering why you're buying everybody presents." he was curious.

"Because I don't have many siblings. My sister can buy anything she wants. There's no one really who  I can buy presents. I love to give pressents."

"Oh... Can we go to one more shop. I want to buy our director something." he asked.

My spoon almost missed my mouth. He does have all the nice character. "Oh... sure. Which one?"

"I want to buy him a shirt."

I nodded.

"Ha neul, try this." I gave him a signatured popular shirt worn by kids these days.

"Oh... ah... hmmm.. Noona, that's too expensive." he declined.

"Hmmm.. okay." I went around and found a less expensive shirt. "How about this?" It's a plain blue shirt.

He took it and inspected the price right away. "Hmmmm" He was kind of hesitant. "Noona, can you buy uhmmm a shirt for Hyun Woo instead for me. I have enough clothes. Hyun Woo is going for a recital in January. I want to him to wear something nice."

My heart broke. I wanted to cry right there. What a beautiful heart this kid have. The tears were forming in my eyes. I turned and lifted my head to control the tears. I turned to him again and smiled. "You're such a nice kid. What is Hyun Woo going for?"

"It's a musical."

"You know what, that's still in January. You can bring Hyun Woo here and let him choose what he wants."

He looked at me.

"Don't worry hmmm."

He paid the shirt he bought and had it wrapped. I just stood there watching him paid for the shirt. He paid in cash. I can see that he saved every penny for that shirt and I wanted to cry. "Ha Neul, here's a gift card. You can use it to pay for Hyun Woo's shirt when you come and choose one for him."

"Noona..." he was controlling his tears earlier but now he broke down and throw his arms around me. "You're an angel."

"Because you yourself is an angel," I said back. "Let's go before we became dramatic here." We left the store and I drove to Kyobo bookstore. I searched earlier where to buy Bigbang's CD's. It says, Kyobo carries them. "You like books?" I asked Ha Neul as we entered the store.

"Yeah. But..uhmm. I rarely have time to read." he confessed.

We walked towards the hottracks. "You like Bigbang right?" He looked at me perplexed.

"How did you know?" he turned shy that someone knew his interest.

"The director showed me the rooms and I saw poster in your rooms. Take the CD's you want. It's my present for you for being the nicest brother."

"But noona. I can't..."

"Come on. Don't be shy. I only offer once." I encouraged him with my smile. I picked some CD's. "Alive. MADE? Number one?" I held the CD's but it seems he was looking for something else.

"I've been looking for their first album but can't find any,"

"Oh... when was it released?" I asked.

"2006."

I raised brows. I giggled and ruffled his hair. "You're still in your runny nose when they released. It's almost a decade. Wow!"

"I'll have the MADE." he picked up the CD and handed it to me. "Thank you very much noona. This is my first album of bigbang." he was near to tears.

And I badly wanted to cry. I smiled. "let's go. Uh... we have to find a hiding place for these present for your siblings."

"The director may have one," he grinned. I can see how happy he is and that makes me more happy. Making other people smile with simple things.