Chapter 6

Untamed Love (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

 

Mr. Ham cleared his throat, startling the others. “Okay. The foods are already prepared.” He stood up. “We should start eating, before it gets cold. I guess all are starving by now.” He said and walked away into the dining room.

 

Jiyeon felt Jieun held her arm, ushering her to follow. She looked at Jieun, but she can’t clearly read what expression the girl was showing. Jiyeon too was astounded by the news; she didn’t know how long she stood there, numbed and dazed.

 

“Jungie, bring her at the dining.” They heard Mrs. Ham said to Eunjung before she followed her husband.

 

They all took a sit and started eating normally. Boram and Mrs. Ham opened a conversation and kept talked while eating. Mr. Ham though silent, it was obvious that he was listening through nodding his head and by giving his opinion here and there. Jiyeon knew that the Hams are trying to lessen the awkward air that surrounded them.

 

“Gyuri, what do you study and where?” Mrs. Ham asked curiously, wearing a gentle smile.

 

“I’m currently taking up Interior Design at Seoul University, ma’am.”

 

“Oh, it somehow, related to Eunjung’s course, right? That’s good, you will have a chance to work together, considering you almost at the same field.”

 

Gyuri agreed.

 

“So, you and Jungie met at the University?”

 

“Well, we did actually meet at the University’s library, didn’t we?” Gyuri turned to Eunjung and squeezed her hand at the top of the table. Eunjung looked at her and returned the smile.

 

“I didn’t know you love books, Jungie.” Boram commented, giving smirk to her sister.

 

“Unnie, you know libraries today are not just for those who are reading and cramming only, it serves as haven too to those who have lack of sleeps.”

 

“I know right. Oh, I remember, you were often to visit a library too when borrowing books for Jiyeon before, right? Ne~ Jiyeonie?”

 

“Huh?” Jiyeon lifted her head, surprised that Boram called her name. She saw them looking at her as if waiting for her to say at least a single word. Jiyeon blushed and smiled shyly, not knowing what to answer.

 

“Yah! You don’t have to remind that. That was when I’m high school. Why digging it today?” Eunjung cut in, scolding her sister. Boram laughed and gave flying kiss, ignoring the irritated face of her sister. Mrs. Ham shook her head, and changed the topic so that Gyuri can relate to the conversation.

 

Jiyeon observed the woman in front of her, silently. She noticed how Gyuri held the utensils gracefully, how she talked smartly, how she answered all the questions confidently and how she smiled sweetly. She’s even more beautiful up close… Jiyeon thought. Jiyeon glanced at Eunjung, their eyes met for a bit until Jiyeon broke their gaze, and looked away. Jiyeon felt the thump of her heart; she didn’t expect that Eunjung would stare at her openly. She reached her glass of water instead and drink bottom’s up. She didn’t think I’m spying on her girlfriend, did she?

 

The dinner surprisingly went well that night albeit it was far from what they expected to be. Mr. Ham though looked cold and distance; he didn’t forget to congratulate Eunjung again. Even though there’s this unspoken thing between them; he didn’t let “it” affect how proud he is with his daughter’s accomplishment.

 

Mr. Ham did at least bid goodbye to Jiyeon and Gyuri before walking away towards the study room. While Jieun just mumbled a simple goodnight after hugging her friend and sister Boram. She then went up to her room fast without giving a bit glance to Eunjung. The girl did not join any conversation the whole dinner too. Mrs. Ham sighed seeing how her daughter reacted. She apologetically looked at Eunjung and Gyuri.

 

Jiyeon thanked Mrs. Ham for the dinner. The old woman hugged her tight and patted her head affectionately, that made Jiyeon flushed. She bowed.

 

“Jiyeon-ah, you can ride with us. We’ll send you home first.” Eunjung said loudly, hoping that the latter will agreed. She can’t let the girl go home alone.

 

“Err…” Jiyeon didn’t know what to say. She felt awkward at that moment. She saw Gyuri eyed her with curiosity.

 

“I’ll send Jiyeon home.” Boram interrupted, sensing the hesitation from the girl.

 

“But, I thought, you will stay here tonight?” Eunjung raised her eyebrows. “It’s okay, unnie. I can drop her off of her house.”

 

“Nah, I will go home. I have something to finish anyway.” Boram walked and get her bag at the sofa. “Mom, goodnight. Please tell Dad I can’t stay tonight. I’ll call tomorrow.” She kissed her parent’s cheek. “Jiyeonie, let’s go.”

 

“O-okay unnie.” Jiyeon bowed again and followed Boram, she felt Eunjung’s eyes watching her moves.

 

“Drive safely, Boram-ah. And, you too Jungie-yah.” Mrs. Ham said, kissing them at the forehead. She turned to the woman beside Eunjung. “It’s nice to have met you, Gyuri.”

 

“Thank you, Ma’am.” Gyuri took a deep breath and bowed. She pulled Eunjung towards her car. “Let’s go, Jungie.”

 

Eunjung unlocked her car, but remained stood outside. She noticed Jiyeon gave her a short glanced before hurriedly inside Boram’s car.

 

Boram laughed inwardly, and shook her head, fully aware at the drama around her. “Don’t bother Jungie, I’ll send her home safely.” She whispered and patted her sister’s shoulder before walking towards her car. “Bye bye, guys.” Boram shouted, she saw Gyuri waved, and returned the gesture before stepping inside her car and revved.

 

Eunjung sighed; she then turned and told Gyuri to step in the car.

 

----

 

Jiyeon got inside their house. She saw her father at the living, watching drama on TV. She remained standing near the doorstep, staring at the TV program blankly.

 

“Oh, you’re here.” Mrs. Park, who came from the kitchen, was surprised seeing her daughter standing at their entrance. Mr. Park was startled hearing her wife talk; he looked at his wife and daughter. “How’s the dinner? Did Jungie send you home?”

 

Jiyeon moved after hearing the name spoke by her mother. She shook her head then took off her shoes. She directly went to the foot of the stairs. “I’ll go to my room first, goodnight.”

 

Mrs. Park watched her daughter ran upstairs on rush. She raised her eyebrows, looking at her husband wonderingly what had happened. Mr. Park just shrugged at his wife and mumbled teenagers.

 

Jiyeon closed the door of her room and leaned against it for seconds before taking a deep breath and exhaled. She walked tiredly towards the bed, and threw herself on it. Jiyeon remained unmovable on the bed until she saw the photo frame at her side table. It was a picture of them having ice cream. She was sticking her tongue while Eunjung was giving a V sign on the camera. That was from the celebration of her 12th birthday, which was also Eunjung’s first visit at their house. Pabo! How can you lie to me that easily? She touched Eunjung’s face and talked as if her friend was in front of her. She put her hand on her chest and breathes. Jungie, do you know why my heart clenching with pain right now? She stared at the picture longer. I guessed you don’t know, huh.

 

Jiyeon closed her eyes; letting the frame dropped from her hand. She suddenly felt the tears seeping out from her eyes. Stupid tears…She quickly wiped her tears with her hands. Aish! Why are you not stopping? Stupid… stupid… stupid…She hugged her pillow instead and buried her face on it. She needed to stop the tears no matter what.

 

----

 

“Daebak!” Hyomin said loudly while clapping her hands. They were in the second floor of the coffee shop that her family owned.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter