MISS COLORFUL - Chapter 6

Seven Incarnations
(unedited, will edit later)

The rain continued the next day. Everything was dark and gloomy...like the state of Kim’s heart.

She walked the street of Ayala in utter defiance. Under the pouring rain and flashes of lightning, Kim braved the harsh elements, without a care in the world. She was hurt and that’s all that mattered to her right now.

It was like a classic movie the way she walked that morning. People along the streets and those riding the buses were looking at her in sheer wonder. Who is this girl in dark shades and wearing black all over? And why is she crying like a hyena while walking the streets of Makati?

Kim happened to walk by a group of six-year-old kids. Upon seeing her, a couple kids cried simultaneously. One of them said to his mom, “Mommy, look, she’s a witch!” Several other kids cried in fright after that. Kim didn’t mind them. She was just being herself. This was the saddest day in her life...ever. And this is how she is when she is sad...she dresses like satan’s bride.

As she walked further, more people stayed away from her path. People began to speculate what was wrong with her. One lady whispered to her friend, “Maybe her boyfriend died?” Another person said mundanely, “She’s a member of a cult that eats raw animals!” Kim wasn’t at all mindful of what they’re saying. She’s just been through one of the most embarrassing moments in her life...whatever they were saying of her, could not even compare to the hurt she felt yesterday.

Only one man has embarrassed her like that and he didn’t live long enough to tell the tale...figuratively that is. It was a couple years ago when a guy she knew from school was spreading some nasty rumours about him and Kim having a one night stand. To top it all, he tried to feel her up one time when she was dancing with her friends in a popular Manila club. Kim was so angry at what he did, she threw a knee on a very sensitive part of his body. Then she shouted to the whole club how puny was. After that night, the poor guy was so mortified, he entered the monastery, shutting himself away from Kim forever. He might as well have been dead, as far as Kim was concerned. But now, Gerald Lagdameo, hurt her more. That is because, she had loved him... and being denied by a loved one in such a brutal and callous way...is like mortal sin to Kim.

She woke up that morning with so much anger in her heart, her mind ceased to function. She was broken hearted as well as broken minded (if there was such a case). Everything around her seemed dark and bleak. Even her umbrella ceased to function properly. IT eventually broke from the heavy rain and wind.

But, Kim surged on with more determination than ever. Rain and all could not stop her from crying her heart out as she walked towards the flower shop.

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,” a popular saying goes. Well, obviously, Kim felt she was scorned, whatever that means... but the fury like that of hell part was true. She was in a murderous rage.

She had only one thing in mind now...and she was so focused, she might as well have blinders on. Her mission now was set...she felt that in order for the world to become a better place for humanity, it has to be rid of its useless citizens...and Gerald Lagdameo was one of them. God help her! She closed her eyes and she envisioned her plan to fruition. There was only one thing left to do...

Bring down Gerald Lagdameo.

.
.
.

As Kim unceremoniously entered the flower shop, Joross yelped in fright.

“Ay puwet ng kabayong maitim!” Joross yelled as he sees Kim’s dishevelled look. “Kim! You scared me to death... who died?!”

“Don’t start with me, Joross!” Kim warned him, her eyes glinting.

“What did I do?”

Kim didn’t answer him. Instead, she went inside the backroom without even saying hi to me.

“My beauty was snobbed by your “lola.” She is so “taray” today, huh!” I commented.

“What do you think is wrong with her?”

“I don’t know, you’re the expert in reading her moods!” I answered.

Joross looked at me incredulously.

“Black? What does that mean again?” Joross said, in reference to Kim’s dress choice.

“The last time she wore black, her favourite pet bird died...”

“Do you think, somebody she loved died?” Joross asked.

“I don’t know...I honestly don’t think her whole look screams bereavement though...” I observed. “ It’s more like she decided to join an angry Emo band. Do you think she might have joined one last night?”

“That’s absurd!” Joross said. “Certainly, not a band...maybe a cult! Or worse! Maybe she joined a coven of vampires?!”

“Joross, you’re so silly!”

“Look who’s talking!”

“Vampires?!” I exclaimed. “Geez, we’re you reading Twilight again?”

“Yes! I was up till three in the morning!” admitted Joross.

I just shrugged my shoulders. What Joross and I knew however was that Kim was not in the best of moods. What we were interested to know even more though was...why?

“What do you think happened last night on her date?” I asked.

“I don’t know. But I have a feeling her date went seriously wrong!” Joross replied.

“Me too!” I said. “Well, she did kind of set herself up for heartache on that date...”

“Take note...” Joross added. “It was not even her own personal date with him...”

“Yeah...you’re right! Do you reckon he screwed it up with her?” I mulled over.

“Possibly...you’re guess is as good as mine...” answered Joross. “Maybe you could ask her?!”

“Are you crazy?!” I said. “Ask her? Joross, I love my life...”

Suddenly, a force entered the room surprising both me and Joross.

“Ay puwet ng kabayong maitim!” Joross once again shouted in fright.

It was Mimi and her eyes were so wide in excitement. On her hand was her usual morning reading ritual... a tabloid.

“Oh my God, guys, you gotta take a look at this!” said Mimi.

Joross immediately grabs the tabloid from her hand to look for that juicy article Mimi was alluding to. In my curiosity, I joined Joross and struggled with him to find out what made Mimi keyed up.

“Is Kimmy here?” whispered Mimi.

“Nope, she’s in the backroom, fixing something...” answered Joross.

“Good,” said Mimi, heaving a sigh.

“But don’t go in there!” Joross warned Mimi. “Her mood is on the darkest side of the color spectrum...so, I advise you....no, I beg you...not to go in there."

“That, I figure...” answered Mimi. “I better show this to you quickly then...”

“Mimi, what is in here that made you excited?” Joross asked. “All I can read here is about Kimberly Go and Jake Cuenca’s wedding...”

“Yeah...aren’t they the cutest couple?” said Mimi with glee.

Joross looked stupefied.

“Mimi! What has this tabloid got to do with our own Kimmy!?” I asked impatiently. “What was it you want us to show me and Joross earlier?”

“It’s not in that paper, silly!” said Mimi. “It’s on this one!” she said, pulling out a different tabloid from her bag.

Joross almost threw the newspaper he was holding back to Mimi. I was just relieved that he settled on a slight slap on her head.

“Here, look at this!” Mimi said pointing at a picture on the front page of well known celebrity tabloid.

The headline itself read: “Angel and Sam: Nag-away sa Restaurant (Angel and Sam fought in a restaurant). Joross quickly skimmed the article that went with the picture.

I, however, was more interested in the picture itself. Behind what seemed to be an arguing couple was Kim and Gerald from the night before! On their faces were the looks of shock.

“Sash, it seems like their date seriously blew!” said Joross.

“Can you imagine, having a couple fight off in front of you on your date!” I answered.

“The article here says: According to one of the restaurant’s waiters, the sultry actress came in the restaurant and was surprised to see that her non-showbiz date was actually with another girl that night. But she joined their table nonetheless. Soon after that, Angel Alonzo’s ex-boyfriend Sam Pascual joined in the conversation. The y actress was later on seen fuming over her boyfriend’s apparent affection towards the other girl on the table. Sam and Angel briefly argued after that, finally causing the former to leave the group. What twisted relationships do you think these people have? We’ll uncover more of this story in the days to come...” Joross narrated.

“Wow!” I exclaimed. “She did have an exciting night! That’s for sure!”

“Do you think she is angry because Sam Pascual made a move on her?” Mimi said.

“Why should you be angry if a hunky actor made a pass at you in front of your date, or whatever Gerald was...” reasoned Joross. “It hardly makes sense...”

“Joross is right!” I said. “Maybe we should just ask her!”

“Ask me what?” a voice from behind us said.

All three of us stiffened instantly. Joross almost immediately stuffed the tabloid under his shirt.

“What is that?” asked Kimmy.

“Nothing...Kimmy...” said Joross. “It’s nothing...”

Kimmy’s look was scary. She looked at Joross like she was about to break him in half. I looked at Joross, he looked more like he was about to pee in his pants.

“If it’s nothing, then why are you hiding it?” she said. “Come on...hand it over to me!”

“But Kimmy...” Joross pleaded. “It’s probably best that you’d not see this...it will only upset you...”

“Joross...I’m warning you...” threatened Kim.

Joross was left with no choice but to hand her the paper. As Kim was reading it, Joross felt that it was the perfect opportunity to ask her a question (though, I seriously don’t know what made him think it was okay to do that!).

“Kim, what is the inspiration for your look today?” Gerald said candidly.

Kim however was concentrating on reading the article. As she was going through it, I saw her hand curve into a ball. Her face slightly contorted. Then, without warning she screamed very shrilly. Then, she tore the newspaper in half and immediately stormed out of the room.

The three of us looked at each other.

“That... just about explains everything...” muttered Joross.

Mimi and I definitely agreed.

.
.
.

The rest of the morning went on with so much nervous energy, a single phone call would send the three of us into a panic. The combination of the pouring rain and the bleak atmosphere seemed to drive clients away. By mid morning, we have not made a single sale yet. Even our flowers seemed droopier.

We didn`t see much of Kim either. Whatever it was she was doing in the backroom, we let her be. Nobody dared to even check up on her either.

To our surprise, by lunchtime, a brooding figure entered the flower shop. Mimi’s mouth instantly watered as the hunky vision made his way towards her.

It was no other than Sam Lloyd Pascual.

“Hi...” Mimi said giddily.

“Hello there!” greeted the actor.

Joross and I instantly made our way over to them.

“Mr. Pascual, it’s a pleasure to have you here in our store!” Joross greeted. “I’m Joross Gamboa, part-owner of the shop.”

Sam shook his hand.

I then introduced myself as well and he greeted back by kissing my hand frivolously, which almost made me faint.

“Well, to what pleasure do we owe this visit Sam?” I said. Now, that we’ve been formally introduced to each other, it’s only proper that we’re on first name basis now.

“Well, as you can see...Uhh...” stammered Sam. “What’s your name again?”

“It’s Sasha...” I answered dully. So much for first name basis!

Joross, reading my mind, could not help but snicker at my lame attempt to flirt on the actor.

“Well, I’m actually here to see Kim...”

“That is probably not a good idea...” said Joross.

“Why not?” he asked.

“She’s not feeling good right now!” I answered.

“Really?” Sam suspiciously said.

“I think she’s having a miserable day...” said Joross.

“But, I think she may want to see me...” Sam answered, stretching his neck, hoping to find Kim himself. “Couldn’t you just tell her that I’m here...”

Joross, Mimi and I immediately flanked ourselvess in front of the backroom entrance. We knew, Sam would have entered it without trepidation, had we not stood our ground.

“That may not be the best idea right now, Sam...” I warned him. “Our little Kimmy is so sick right now...you don’t want to contract her virus...”

That seemed to scare him. Sam eventually shrugged his shoulders and moved back away from us.

With some resignation, he pulled out his wallet and handed us a calling card.

“Well, could you please tell her to give me a call today...” Sam said. “It is imperative that I talk to her...”

“Okay...” I said, grabbing the card from him. I couldn’t help but be woozy. How many girls can say they have Sam Pascual’s number? I made a mental note to text him sweet nothings later on that night.

“Will you please give her that?” Sam repeated, probably reading what’s on my mind.

“I will!” I replied with much meaning. “Don’t worry...she’ll get it...”

He the flashed us his very manly smile, then he turned around and stepped out.

All three of us immediately let out our excitement. We began to chatter endlessly about how good looking he was...Joross included.

“Oh my God, did you see how he smiled at me?” I said.

“At you? No, girl, he was smiling at me!” said Mimi.

“Why would he smile at you?” I asked her blankly.

This seemed to have offended Mimi. I immediately rushed to her and hugged her. “Mimi, sorry, I didn’t mean for it to come out like that!”

“Sasha, you can a b*tch sometimes!” said Mimi.

“Oooh...cat-fight!” said Joross delightedly.

“Ate, sorry na talaga!” I begged.

“Sige na nga...you’re forgiven..” said Mimi. “But did you see how gorgeous his lips were?!”

Joross rolled his eyes, and immediately went back to counting the chocolate boxes on his section for inventory.

“What will you do with his number?” Mimi asked.

“I don’t know, Ate...” I said. “Do you think we should let Kim know that he came in to visit?”

“WHO CAME IN TO VISIT?” exclaimed Kim.

“Ummm, Kimmy...Sam Pascual came in...” I answered. “He said to give you this...”

I immediately pulled out the card from my pocket.

Without any hesitation, Kim grabbed the calling card from my hand and stepped back into her lair without saying anything.

Mimi and I then flashed each other a knowing look. I said remorsefully, “, I forgot to copy down Sam’s number!”

Joross shook his head in utter dismay of our apparent shallowness.

“Guys, do you think it would be safe to go in there now?” Joross said.

“Hell no!” Mimi said. “Did you see her face?”

Seeing Joross squirming, I was immediately curious.

“Why?” I asked.

“I really have to go pee!” he said. “I can’t go into the washroom without passing by the backroom.

“What a choice!” I said. “It’s either you pee in your pants or die...”

“I’d rather die...” said Joross as he tiptoed his way into backroom.

Mimi and I were in stitches.

.
.
.

We really thought our day would get better as the weather improved. Kim even seemed a tad brighter than she was earlier. She would come out of her lair now once in a while, much to the relief of Joross’ bladder. She even said a word to Mimi and I...which was a good development no matter what you see it. We really thought everything will just be fine...

We were wrong, of course...the was about to hit the fan again!

By mid-afternoon, as we began to get more customers ...somebody unexpected came in.

Joross, Mimi and I immediately panicked as the boyish figure entered the store.

“You gotta be kidding me!” Joross exclaimed.

“Oh ...” I said.

By default, all three of us once again made a formation in front of the doorway to the backroom.

“Hi!” Gerald Lagdameo said. “Is Kim here?”

“No, she isn’t!” Mimi lied.

“I called her house, they said she came here to work...” Gerald answered.

“Well, she’s actually here...” Joross said. “But...she’s not here...physically...”

Mimi and I rolled our eyes. Joross is the worst liar in the world.

I decided to tell him the truth, “Kim is actually here , but I don’t think she wants to see you...”

“Look, guys, I really need to talk to her...” Gerald begged.

“It’s probably not a good idea, man!” said Joross. “Situation’s a little bit too hot right now!”

“Is she really, really angry?”

“Man, you can’t even begin to imagine!” Joross said.

Gerald gulped. One can see that he was starting to worry. He then pressed on.

“I think I need to explain myself...” Gerald said. “There are things that I really needed to say to her...personally. Could you at least tell her that I’m here...please...”

The three of us looked at each other. Should we or shouldn’t we...allow world war III to happen?

We didn’t have to answer that...because Kim herself answered our question.

“Kim...thank God!” Gerald said as Kim emerged from the backroom.

To our surprise, she wasn’t at all perturbed by his presence...only a look of resignation on her face.

“Guys, could you leave us alone for a minute...” Kim said.

Of course, the three of us were more than willing to oblige. We immediately scampered our way back to the backroom then into the office. Once again, we crouched on the floor to listen in into their conversation.

“Kim...about last night...” Gerald said.

“You don’t have to explain...” Kim answered.

“No, I think I have to say this...”

“There are no more things to say!” Kim exclaimed.

“Kim, there is...I’m sorry...”

“Sorry for what?” she said.

“For leaving you...in the rain...”

Kim closed her eyes, probably to fight off the tears.

“You came here just to say that?” Kim said sarcastically.

“I actually came here for you...I wanted to see you...” said Gerald.

Kim’s face lightened up a bit. “See me? What for? After last night, I think we established the fact that you have no more need for me...”

“Kimmy, that’s not true...I actually came here to invite you to go out...”

“Go out?” Kim said in shock.

“Yes...I was wondering if you’re free this afternoon, maybe we could grab a snack and talk...”

“I don’t know...” Kim said. “You see, we have lots of things to do...”

“Come on...there’s plenty more things that I need to tell you...” said Gerald brightly.

“Really? But I’m not even dressed!” Kim said, pointing out her drab black dress.

“Oh, don’t worry...” Gerald said. “I’m pretty sure Angel won’t mind...I won’t!”

“Wait...” Kim said. “WHO won't mind you said?”

“Angel...” Gerald said nervously. “I thought it would be nice if we all could get together this afternoon...”

“You jerk!!! After having with her...you thought it would be nice to invite me to go out...with you and her!!!” Kim shouted.

“Kim, nothing happened...”

“Is that supposed to make me feel better?!”

“I don’t know...I just thought I’d tell you that...”

“Well, it doesn’t!!!”

“Kimmy...listen...” Gerald said.

“Are trying to tell me that you came all the way here to ask me if I could go as a third wheel on your date? Again?!!!” Kim said indignantly. “After what you’ve done to me last night?!!!”

Gerald stepped back. “I thought you understood...our situation.”

“Can you please explain to me how this situation works again...” Kim said mockingly.

“I thought you’re going to help me...” muttered Gerald.

“NAIL HER?” scoffed Kim. "I did that! What else did you want me to do?"

“Well, it's not really about that, Kim...in essence...yes, but...it's just hard to explain!” Gerald said incoherently.

“YOU SON OF A B*TCH!” Kim bellowed. Two rapid slaps hit Gerald’s face. They were hit so hard, pelts formed on his sensitive cheeks.

“Kim...wait...I thought you said you were okay with this?”

Kim immediately placed a well-meant kick to the groin. Fortunately, Kim missed his “cajones” by mere inches. But the pain, sent him reeling on the floor.

“That will teach you a lesson, A-hole!”

“But Kimmy...” Gerald begged, still wincing in pain on the floor.

“Get the hell out!” Kim cried as she wheeled around and went back into the backroom.

Gerald, with his tail between his legs, crawled out of the flower shop, with only his shattered dignity carrying him.

Gerald once pride himself thinking that he understood how women really think...maybe, like most men, he really have no clue at all.

.
.
.

“Why in the hell would you go there man?” said Rayver as he handed Gerald an ice pack. “Are you crazy? Haven’t you learned anything from high school?”

Gerald was back in his office nursing his wounds.

“What about high school?”

“English lit, man. Don’t you remember that saying “Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned?!” said Rayver. “Even Shakespeare knows that!”

“That’s not Shakespeare’s...it was some other random poet who wrote that...” Gerald explained.

“Whatever!” Rayver said. “The thing is...you shouldn’t have gone in the belly of the beast... alone!”

“I wanted to personally say sorry to her...” said Gerald.

“Sorry for what?” asked Rayver. “You’re sorry because you banged the other girl not her?”

“I told you, nothing happened...” said Gerald. “Angel and I just talked...”

“Yeah right!”

“I told you, man...it’s true...” Gerald answered. “It was sort of sweet really. I learned a lot about her...”

“When was the last time that you went home with a y girl and just talked to her all night? Without doing anything nasty, huh? “ said Rayver.

Gerald racked his brain for some answers. “I think...I never had...”

“And you expect me to believe you that you didn’t do hokey-pokey with Angel?”

“No man, I swear!” said Gerald.

“If I, your best friend since birth, don’t believe you at all, how do you expect other people to believe you either?”

“I don’t know man...” Gerald answered. “You should have seen her eyes yesterday...”

“Yes, very pretty eyes...” Rayver said, imagining Angel’s s instead.

“They were so sad and hurt...you should have seen it...the look on her face...it will really melt your heart...” Gerald continued.

“Wait...who are we talking about again?”

“Kim...the flower girl...” Gerald said. “You’re distracted man!”

“Looks like you’re the one who’s distracted...” Rayver answered. “Are you really sure you feel nothing for this girl...I know you man!”

“Who, Kim? Do I feel something for her? That’s absurd...” Gerald said. “She’s just a friend...but I just didn’t want to hurt her because she’s been a good friend all along...it’s Angel I really like...”

“I really don’t think I believe you, man...”

“And why is that?”

“If Angel is the one you like...” said Rayver knowledgeably. “Then, why can’t you stop talking about flower girl?”

In fact, Gerald has no answer to Rayver. Because the truth of the matter was, Gerald doesn’t really believe himself either.

.
.
.

Back in the store, Joross, Mimi and I were back to our dismal selves. Nobody spoke with each other. We all felt sorry for Kim and what she had to go through the night before.

After Gerald left, Kim finally confessed to us what really happened. She cried for a good half-hour before we managed to calm her down. She begged off from doing any work other than a "project" she said she needed to do.

At five pm Kim re-emerged from the backroom, looking triumphant.

“Joross, I want you to deliver this to the office across the street....” Kim ordered Joross, while admiring her handiwork.

All three of us looked at each other. Mimi even mouthed the words when Kim wasn’t looking, “Is she crazy?”

I nodded my head. I whispered back to Mimi, “She’s gone cuckoo...”

Mimi smiled. Meanwhile, Joross felt embarrassed by what Kim asked him to bring along.

“Kim, are you really serious...”

“Joross, if you don’t deliver it...” said Kim. “I’ll give that to you next...”

“Okay, okay...Jeez..” Joross said. “I will deliver this right away, boss!”

Kim once again entered the backroom, much to all our relief.

Joross said to us, “Guys, if the police will question us later on, could you please tell them that she forced me into doing this...that I really have nothing to do with all of this?”

Mimi and I nodded eagerly as Joross strides out of the shop, carrying Kim's bulky gift.

.
.
.

Back in La Mancha building...

Gerald was flooded with paper work. After his lengthy talk with Rayver, his secretary Charrie dumped some documents of major importance onto his desk. He had been doing that all afternoon.

Suddenly, Char buzzed him on the intercom. “Mr. Lagdameo, you have a delivery here outside...I think you need to see this...”

“What is it?” asked Gerald. “Bring it in...”

“It’s kinda huge sir...are you sure?”

“Yes, bring it in...” snapped Gerald.

When the door opened, Joross brought in Kim’s gift. Gerald’s mouth instantly fell to the floor.

“Kim wanted to give you this...” Joross said.

Gerald was speechless. He didn’t know what to make of it. His heart raced.

“Sorry...” Joross said softly as he left.

Gerald stood up from his desk. He pressed the intercom instantly... “Rayver, come up here quick. I need you to see this...”

Kim has just sent him...a humongous and ostentatious, funeral wreath!

.
.
.
.
.

_______

as promised ... Reg

:-)