MISS COLORFUL - Chapter 9

Seven Incarnations
.
.
.
.
.

The very first thing Kim saw when she opened her eyes were the white ceiling and the singular white light. At first, she thought she was dead. But seeing that the source of the light was an incandescent lamp, Kim almost immediately uttered a silent prayer for her new lease in life.

Driven by instinct, Kim then tried to remember what had just happened to her. She closed her eyes and began a futile attempt to do a linear sequence of the events leading to the crash. But, she couldn’t do it. Her mind was still reeling from her momentary loss of consciousness and coordination. It was like trying to piece together a thousand random thoughts one by one, rearranging them into little packets of memories and composing them into a millisecond of a recollection. It was that painful and tiring...she didn’t have the strength to do it at the moment. All she knew now was that she was in a car crash and that she was presently being treated in a hospital somewhere in Metro Manila.

Tears started to fall from Kim’s eyes. It was at that time, when the full scope of what has happened had finally hit Kim. She shuddered at how close she was to losing everything.

The first logical thought that came after her brief crying spell was to check what parts of her were still working. She tried to wiggle her toes. Check. Feet are fine. Her hands were working as well. Although it pained her when she moved her right arm, perhaps due to the IV line that was attached to it. Thank God, at least, she wasn’t paraplegic. She tried to move her neck sideways. It was only then she discovered that she had a neck brace on. At least she got some form of movement from it. She was thankful she wasn’t paralyzed. Her guess was that the neck brace was in place, more for precautionary measures than anything else. Suddenly, a sharp pain started to shoot from her right temple. Kim groaned. She gingerly moved her left hand to feel the aching spot. It didn’t surprise her to discover a bandage covering that sore area of her head.

She then angled her head down a bit to see who else was in the room with her. To her utter surprise, she wasn’t alone. She saw a head of hair resting on a tiny space of real estate on the foot of her bed --- a man. He was seated on a monoblock chair while his head was resting on the bed. He appeared to be asleep, judging from the light snore emanating from him. At first, she thought it was Sam but she couldn’t say for sure. His face was angled away from her.

Sam!

Kim suddenly remembered her friend. What happened to him? Was he alright? Kim grew very uneasy and worried.

She tried to get up to see who her visitor was...if it was indeed Sam. Careful as she was not to disturb him from his peaceful slumber, the guy still stirred from her slightest of movements. He bobbed his head slightly and yawned.

To Kim’s surprise, it was Gerald.

“What are you doing here?” was her immediate question.

Gerald’s tired face instantly brightened upon seeing her awake.

“Kim...oh my God!” exclaimed Gerald. “Thank God you’re alright! ”

To Kim’s surprise, Gerald almost jumped to her bed beside her and pulled her head close towards his chest. Then, he enveloped her in a tight hug. IT wasn’t just an ordinary hug, it was almost like the kind of hug one gives to a long lost love...suffocating and wonderful at the same time.

“Watch out...” said Kim, referring to the IV line Gerald was sitting on as he hugged her.

“Sorry...” Gerald replied readily.

He immediately let her go. He appeared taken aback. He looked like as if his apparent concern for her had gone a little bit stronger than what he had anticipated...or intended. Gerald then moved back to his seat.

“Where am I?” asked Kim.

“You’re in the hospital...” replied Gerald.

"Where?"

“Makati Med...Wait, are you feeling okay?”

“Just a little bit of pain in my head...what day is it?”

“It’s Tuesday now...can’t you remember?”

“No...how long was I gone for?”

“Oh ...you may have amnesia!” said Gerald. “You must have banged your head so hard...wait, I’ll call the nurse!”

Before Kim could say anything, Gerald was out of the door. Kim wanted to call him back and say that she was okay but he was gone.

Kim took the opportunity to think about Gerald. She wondered why he was here. How did he know that she was in an accident? How about her friends? By the way, where are her friends? Had they not known that she figured in an accident? How about her family, were they not informed too?

But, of all people, why was Gerald here? He was the last person she expected to see. And why does he appear to be concerned about her all of a sudden? Yesterday, she thought she made it clear to him that everything was over between them. She even sent him a warning not to ever see her again. Did Gerald not understand the seriousness of her threat? Any logical thinking man would have thought not to cross her path ever again...but this guy was as obstinate as a mule.

But more than all these questions, the very question that bothered Kim was, “why was she glad to see him all of a sudden?”

Unfortunately, she did not have time to think about the possible ramifications of Gerald’s surprise visit. She could only hope to find some answers as soon as she could talk to him again.

It didn’t take long for Gerald to come back. Minutes later, he had a pretty nurse with him.

“Nurse, here she is...” Gerald said, ushering the nurse towards the fully-awake Kim. “She just woke up a few minutes ago...and now she can’t remember things...I think she might have developed some sort of amnesia...”

“Hey, I’m alright!” protested Kim. “Just a little confused, nurse...”

“Nurse, don’t listen to her...” Gerald insisted. “You’d better check her...try asking her questions...like when is her birthday...her address...who her parents are...”

“Gerald, could you please stop fretting?” Kim said. “You’re embarrassing me...”

All the while, the young nurse was looking back and forth between them with equal fondness. Her name appeared to be Melissa.

“The young lady is right, sir...” said the nurse. “It won’t help her if you’re more uptight than she is...”

“I’m not uptight...” Gerald answered. “It’s just that she looks kinda pale...”

They both turned their attention Kim.

“I don’t think we should worry too much, sir.” disagreed the nurse. “Miss Kim here, looks fine to me...”

“Nurse, you should be worried...” insisted Gerald. “That gash on her head seemed very deep. You must check her for some...concoctions...”

“I think you meant concussion, sir...”Melissa corrected fondly.

“That’s what I said...”

Kim closed her eyes in frustration. The guy was so crazy.

Fortunately, the nurse was more obliging than rude. “Sir, calm down...Miss Kim here appears to be alright...”

“Miss, how can you tell that by just looking at her?” said Gerald. “I told you she might have amnesia!”

“I don’t have amnesia!” cried Kim desperately. “For your information, SIR...my name is Kimberly David, I am 21 years old, I own a flower shop and yesterday I kicked your , satisfied? Could you step asid and let the nurse do her job, please!”

The nurse immediately laughed. It was Gerald’s turn to be embarrassed.

“I guess you’re back to your usual sarcastic self...” muttered Gerald. “That’s a good sign, right, nurse?

“It sure is,” Melissa cheerily replied.

After that, Gerald shut his mouth up. He stepped aside and gave way to Melissa as instructed. Gerald, meanwhile took a seat by the small couch that was provided on one corner.

The nurse proceeded to check Kim’s vitals. She then peppered her with some questions as to how she was feeling. She looked satisfied with Kim’s progress after her interview. After a brief assessment, the nurse then removed the restricting neck brace, much to Kim’s delight.

“X-rays came back a few minutes ago,” Melissa explained. “No signs of trauma appeared. Dr. Apostol cleared you from any whiplash injuries. He said to remove the brace...”

“Thank God!” Kim sighed.

“You’re very lucky, miss...” Melissa said. “It’s a good thing you had seat belts on. Sam Pascual had the worse of it...”

“Sam? Really?” exclaimed Kim. “How is he...where is he?”

“He is in the adjacent room,” the nurse answered. “I heard he had a broken arm!”

“Thank God, it could have been much worse...” Kim answered.

“Yes, it could have...” confirmed Melissa. “Lucky for you, your boyfriend was passing by and he saved the both of you...”

“Who’s boyfriend?” said Kim referring to Gerald. “I don’t have a boyfriend...you’re not talking about him, are you?”

“Sorry...I just thought you were his girlfriend...” Melissa uttered, turning back to Gerald.

Gerald eyes lit up.

“See, nurse Mel? I told you she has amnesia!” Gerald guffawed.

The nurse looked embarrassed.

“Don’t believe him, nurse. He’s just kidding!” Kim somehow said to placate her. "He's not my boyfriend..."

“Sorry...I just assumed he was...seeing how concerned he really was for you...I thought he was your boyfriend...” muttered the nurse.

“Yes, I was...at one time. But I no longer am!” Gerald said as a joke. But, there was some hint of truth into it. Kim no longer challenged him.

“I’m so sorry...” said Melissa remorsefully.

Kim heaved a sigh. “Miss, don’t be. If he really was my boyfriend, he should have been in the crash with me. I would have driven him to the lamppost myself!”

Gerald stifled a mild chortle.

“Ohhh...so you mean to say, it’s really Sam Pascual who is your boyfriend?!” Melissa candidly deduced. Her eyes widened considerably. The concept of a juicy gossip seemed to have captured her imagination. “So, are you Sam’s non-showbiz girlfriend then?”

Kim groaned. What had she gotten herself into? Now she has to explain herself to this very impressionable nurse.

“Miss, I’m sorry but it’s really none of your business...” said Kim instead.

“Oh don’t worry miss Kim...I won’t tell anybody...” Melissa assured her. Then, she pulled out her small nurse’s journal and a pen. “But could I please get your autograph? Sam is my most favourite actor in the world!”
Kim could not believe her luck. She just came out of a horrible car wreck which almost took her life. She then woke up with the devil incarnate Gerald beside her and now this? Groupie nurse from cuckoo land? Kim began to wonder what possible bad Karma did she incur in the past to deserve this.

Nonetheless, Kim was left with no choice but to give in and sign her journal.

“Miss Kim...thank you so much...” said the nurse, clutching the paper Kim signed closed to her chest. “I’ll cherish this forever...I’ll have this framed. You just don’t know how happy I am...”

Kim was speechless. Her head throbbed and ached even more. Fortunately, Gerald noticed it.

“Miss, I think our patient here needs some pain killers for her head wound,” requested Gerald, winking back at Kim.

Kim was glad he did that. To her own surprise, she found herself giving him a warm smile.

“Yes, sir...I’ll be back with it,” promised the nurse. “I’m sure Doctor Apostol will sign your release later on the day, Miss Kim.”

“We’re glad to hear that!” said Gerald.
The nurse then turned and eyed him flirtatiously, muck to Kim’s dismay.

“Your gash didn’t seem so deep. We didn’t even have to stitch it...” the nurse said to Kim, but her eyes were still glued at Gerald. “Miss Kim, you’re so lucky...in a lot of ways!”

“Thanks...” Kim said dryly.

The nurse then turned back at her. “You have lots of angels in your life...”

All Kim could offer back was a gritty smile. She was so glad the nurse was gone after that.

Awkward silence filled the room after the nurse left. Kim didn’t know what to say to him. Gerald was just content looking at her, which she found a bit disconcerting. Technically, she should still be angry at him.

“See, Kim...I’m your angel now!” Gerald claimed.

“Devil, is more like it...” Kim said sarcastically.

“Are you still angry at me?”

“You think?!”

“Is this still about the other night? Is this still about me, leaving you?”

Kim didn’t answer. In fact, she herself was confused. Gerald, meanwhile, settled back on the monoblock chair. He even moved it closer beside her.

“Kim, I really don’t know why you’re mad at me...” Gerald confessed.

“You left me in the street, remember?...In the dark...by myself...”

“BUT, you were with Enchang...he did bring you home, didn't he?”

“It’s not about that...” Kim answered frustratingly.

“Then, what is this about?!” Gerald said. “I thought we agreed on what we had to do. You agreed to be my wing girl for the night...”

“Yes, but I didn’t agree on being hurt...”

“Hurt, about what?

“I don’t know...I just was...”

“Wait, is this somehow...hormonal?”

“That’s such a guy thing to say!” Kim exclaimed.

Gerald then stood up from his chair. He paced the room, thinking. Kim was thankful for the brief respite. But that wasn’t for long. Rubbing his chin, Gerald proceeded on cross-examining her.

“Kim, you went there with me knowing the rules. You came in, knowing the possibility that our date will end up that way. Even you should know that...you’re not that naive, are you?”

“Of course I’m not naive! But, it was embarrassing...” Kim fretted. The closer he was to the truth, the more uncoordinated her answers were. She’d do anything to shield him from the truth. It was for her own self-preservation.

“Embarrassing?” cried Gerald. “How could you be embarrassed?”

“You won’t understand...”

“Why not? Kim, tell me...please!”

“I can’t ...”

“You can’t just be upset with me over nothing! Is this still about me not bringing you home?”

“No it’s not!” Kim said frustratingly.

“Then what is it? Tell me, Kim! What is it that makes you so damn mad at me? Was it Angel? Did she say something bad to you?”

Kim shut her eyes. Something inside her was about to blow. She gritted her teeth. She was seething to say it. But for her own sake, Gerald must not know why she was ever mad at him in the first place.

“Kim you could tell me if she was mean to you...”

“It’s not her!” Kim bellowed.

“Okay, good...so, it was me then...” Gerald inferred. “What possible dreadful thing did I do to elicit this kind of anger from you, Kim?”

“Stop it, please...” begged Kim, as tears fell from her eyes.

“No Kim, I won’t stop until you tell me...”

“Please...stop... ”

“Kim, what did I freaking do?!”

“Because you left with her!” Kim shouted with much passion.

The whole room shook with Kim’s revelation. Gerald was so shocked. Uncanny silence ensued after that.

“That’s the reason why...you insensitive pig!” Kim cried out, moments later.

Gerald was altogether silent. Now, he knew. Jealousy! That’s what it is. His heart glowed from what he heard. He wanted to smile, but he couldn’t bring it upon himself to do so, seeing Kim trembling from her revelation. He wanted to hug her. For the first time, she had opened her true feelings to him. He had a momentary insight to her fragile character and he liked what he saw.

“Kim...I’m sorry...I didn’t know...”

“Are you happy now?” Kim said sarcastically.

Kim wanted to cry in shame. She had just indirectly admitted in front of his face, how madly jealous she was of Angel and him...how affected she really was of their affair. Frankly, she wanted him to leave. But something inside her was stopping her. She needed to know something. There was something still that she couldn’t get her mind over. It was strange.

.
.
.

Gerald took the momentary truce to calm his giddy self down. He moved back to the chair beside her. Kim had her head down so he slowly lifted her chin up and turned it gently to make her face him. Her eyes were welling. He looked down and saw her right hand trembling. He then, ever so gently, placed his warm hand over hers.

“Kim...I’m sorry...” he said, looking at her straight in the eyes.

The tears that were forever threatening from Kim’s eyes eventually fell. She felt his sincerity. Seeing that she was really overwhelmed, Gerald gripped her hand even more. This time, he was rubbing the top of her hand with his thumb.

“Don’t be a jerk...” said Kim. “It was nothing...”

“Kim, you don’t have to explain...”

“But I want to...I’m telling you now. It meant nothing to me...don’t flatter yourself.”

Gerald eyed her suspiciously. She challenged his stare with her own defiant one.

“If it was nothing, then why were you hurt?” asked Gerald.
Kim bowed once more. Defeated, once again. She was mad at herself. Why was she so...transparent?

“Sorry, Kim. I’m a jerk for saying that...” said Gerald. “Let’s not talk about that anymore, okay?”

Kim nodded as tear droplets formed fat blots unto the blue hospital blanket.

“I’m just glad you’re alive, Kim...” said Gerald, still rubbing her hand.

Kim inhaled deeply. His touch sent shivers down her spine. She had to physically and emotionally control herself.

“The nurse...she said you saved us...how?” Kim asked.
Gerald released a heavy sigh.

“I was passing along Makati Ave....then I saw Sam’s car, zigzagging...I knew then he was losing control...I saw him hit the post...I turned my car around, grabbed you out of the car and called for help...”

“You were just passing along?” Kim asked suspiciously.

“Yes I was...I was on my way to my cousin’s house...”
“I don’t believe you...” Kim said.

“After I left the restaurant, I took Angel home. Then, I came back...” lied Gerald.

“Then...you went back to Makati? Doesn’t she live in Quezon City? You wouldn’t have had the time to come back to Makati if you did that!” Kim added.

“You mean to say, I never left and that I was there on the scene...because I was spying on you and Sam?”

“I didn’t say that...it’s just so coincidental that you just happened to be there...unless of course you wanted to be there...it’s the only logical explanation to me!”

“Come on, Kim...why would I do that? Why would I spy on you and Sam?” Gerald asked.

“I don’t know...can’t you answer that question yourself?” Kim contested him.

Gerald once again sighed. He had backed himself into a corner. He was left with nothing else to say, except to admit the truth.

“Okay...okay...I was spying on you...” said Gerald. “Angel and I had a bit of a quarrel so I stay behind...”

“Liar...” Kim said, gazing at him accusingly.

“Angel and I did have a quarrel...”

“NO, I didn’t mean that!” said Kim. “You didn’t stay behind ONLY because of that, did you?”

“Okay! I admit it...” replied Gerald, who’s visibly squirming in his seat. “I stayed there...because I was concerned...”

“Concerned?” asked Kim.

“When we were at dinner...I noticed that Sam was drinking heavily...I decided to stay behind because of that...I thought you were in...danger.”

“You stayed behind because of me?” Kim asked. Her heart was almost jumping out of her rib cage.

“Yes...” he said.

Kim smiled at him. He seemed embarrassed at first. But eventually, he settled back to his chair. A sense of relief crossed his face. IT was as if a huge burden was suddenly unloaded from his heart.

Gerald then proceeded in giving her the full account of what has happened. The whole truth this time...

“At first I thought of leaving...which I did. Luckily, I trusted my instincts and turned back. That’s when I saw Sam’s car...hitting the post. I’ve never felt more afraid in my whole life. I literally jumped out of my car and grabbed you out of the wreckage...then, I helped Sam get out...he was so drunk he didn’t know he was hurt. I almost lost it, when I saw you lying on the side of the road, not breathing. Fortunately, the medics came and administered CPR on you. They said the fumes must have suffocated you. Had they been delayed for a few seconds more, we would have lost you...forever.”

Kim felt cold from hearing his story.

“Thank you...” Kim said. “I owe my life to you...”

“It was nothing...” Gerald said. “You can’t accuse me now of not being concerned with you, can you?!”

Kim smiled.

“Really, thank you for saving me... and Sam too.” Kim said.

Hearing Sam’s name coming from her lips, cast a shadow into Gerald’s fledgling emotions. IT was so emotionally staggering for him to hear his name. After his revelation, the very least he expected was Sam's name.

Kim noticed the slight change in his mood, she decided to be more trivial.

“You were a hero...” said Kim. “Regardless if it was me or not...you still risked your life to save somebody...”

“If it was somebody else...I wouldn’t have done it...”Gerald said with a smirk.

“You can’t possibly say that...heroism is instinctive...it’s in your blood...they should give you a medal!”

“Yeah why not?” Gerald answered ruefully. “Chicks would really dig that! Imagine...me, a hero. That would be like a billion in POGI points.”

Kim shook her head. Some things never change. He was still a lecher. But he was a much different guy now somehow in her eyes. He was an even cuter lecher from before. Maybe, it was true. He did earn himself a ton of brownie points for what he did. At least, to her. She owed him her life. He was her hero.

“Let’s just get this straight...” Kim said. “I’m no damsel in distress that needs saving...”

“Yes, you were...”

“Okay, I was...” admitted Kim. “But, don’t ever go into the habit of saving me...or looking after me...I can take care of myself...”

“Yeah, right...” Gerald said mockingly.

“Okay, I needed you this time...” she said. “But don’t ever waste your time on me again...”

“Why not? I liked saving you, Kim!”

“No, I’m serious here...” said Kim. “I don’t need your help...”

Gerald appeared to be disappointed. HE looked instantly downtrodden.

“Sorry...I didn’t mean to sound ungrateful...” said Kim guiltily. “I really am glad that you saved us. I just meant that...”

“Don’t worry Kim...” Gerald cut her off. “I know what you mean. Don’t worry about it...I’ll leave you on your own next time...”

Kim almost wanted to strangle herself for saying those things. But, she had her reasons. She didn’t want him to offer his life for her anymore. Her insecurities were telling her she didn’t deserve that kind of treatment.

“I just want to let you know, I have no superman complex...” said Gerald. “It’s important that you understand why I did it... I did it because of you. I don’t go around doing it for everybody, I have no ongoing crusades or mission to save every damsel in distress. I did it only for you. In fact, I have every bit of agenda for doing it. I wanted you to like me again...I wanted to do something special for you...morbid as it may be, but I was glad that I had the opportunity to save you. Because in that way... I was able to show you how I really cared for you...”

Kim was speechless. His admission left an emotional upheaval so strong, it left her incapable of speech.

Gerald moved closer to her. He slowly moved his head towards her. Kim’s heart pounded like crazy. He was only inches away from her face. She could now smell the soft, warm scent of his breath. He was intoxicating her and she was senselessly stupefied. Her inner senses were telling her not to do it...not to kiss him. The devil inside her was telling her to make him suffer. But, now, she didn’t care anymore. She had a sudden change of heart. She wanted him.

Fate, however, had a dry sense of humor.

All of sudden, the door busted open. In came Sam, hand on a sling, dextrose line in tow. With him is a bevy of reporters and journalists. Soon enough the room was filled to the brim.

Sam, immediately rushed to the bed beside her. HE was so excited, he didn’t even notice Gerald’s presence. In fact, nobody did. The reporters began flashing their cameras at her. Gerald was instantly cast aside as the nosy paparazzi struggled past one another to get a better shot of her.

Sam didn’t care either. Upon sitting on Kim’s bed, he immediately grabbed her close and hugged her.

“Kim, I’m sorry...it’s all my fault...” Sam said. “I wouldn’t have known what I would have done if I have lost you...”

Kim felt strangely uneasy. A famous actor of gorgeous proportions was hugging her in front of hundreds of cameras, professing his undying devotion for her...if she was any other girl, she would have fainted instantly. Yet, she really felt, quite detached. She couldn’t help but feel...phony.

“Is this still part of the act?” she whispered to Sam as he held her head close to her.

“No, of course not, darling...” he said, immediately planting a wet kiss on her unprepared mouth.

Cameras flashed endlessly. The next day’s headlines were made.

Kim gracefully angled her head away from his kiss. She then began looking out for the only person she felt like seeing...the one person she wanted to be with right now, more than ever...

But, Gerald was no longer there.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

(unedited)