THE HAPPY PIE - chapter one

Seven Incarnations
THE HAPPY PIE
.
.
.
.
.
This is for all the foodie addicts out there!
.
.
.
.
.
.
“I thought I’ve heard every excuse in the book...this one has got to top it!” Gerald exclaimed, kneading a ball of dough.

“No , bro! That’s what really happened, I swear! ” Carlo asserted, meanwhile putting on his white shirt and black apron.

“You mean to say a black cat crossing your way caused a major collision on the street, making you more late than usual?” Gerald said incredulously.

“Umm...yeah...something like that...” Carlo mumbled.

“Okay, okay...enough explanations. Get back to work, man. We have a packed house... “ Gerald said, now rolling out the dough he just kneaded into a pie mould.

“Yes, boss!” replied Carlo. He gave his best friend a mock salute and headed out into the main dining area as the brunch-goers started to pour in.

Gerald shook his head. Times like these, his concentration was mainly 100% on what he was doing. However, today, he seemed a little bit distracted. He somehow could not feel settled, like something was about to happen. He brushed the thought aside as poured in the glaze on his apple pie. He then assembled the pie crust, punched breathing holes on the crust with a fork and brushed egg wash on top of it. He slowly carried his masterpiece to the oven to bake. Only then, did he feel relieved. One down...nine more to go.

He gave his other chefs some instructions as he slowly slipped into his backroom office. He took off his toque, and began thinking of the day ahead.

Vanilla Bean started out as Gerald’s hobby. Being a Paris-trained pastry chef, Gerald’s dad gifted him with his own party shop to run. It turned out to be a worthwhile investment, as Gerald not only became known as the best chef in town, but droves of ladies flock the restaurant each day, hoping to catch a glimpse of the cutest pastry chef in Metro Manila.

Gerald runs a pretty efficient crew. He had several well-trained pastry chefs at his helm. Most of the time, they would do most of the work. Gerald would mostly supervise the whole kitchen, but he would never entrust the pies to them. Every day, Gerald would bake from scratch at least ten different pies. By the end of the day, they would all be gone. It is a policy in their restaurant that clients are allotted just a slice per person. There is even a line up and a pre-order sheet for his pies. Several of his chefs attempted to bake one of their own but they always end up inferior to his creations.

Gerald Alejandro was simply the best pie-maker in Metro Manila.

Gerald never thought he would ever be a successful pastry chef at 23. When he was younger, he knew he had this knack for sweet confections but he never expected it to reach this far. It was so left field. None of his parents, nor his aunts or uncles had ever been involved in the food business. In fact, most of his family members were in the construction business, the complete anti-thesis to his pastry venture.

Gerald fondly looked at a picture on his desk. It was of him and his mom from 13 years ago. He was ten at that time. The look on his mom’s kind face was of pure ecstasy. He had just won his first bake-off at that time. He was holding a trophy and his mom was proudly hugging him from behind. He looked closer at himself. He didn’t look like him at all back in those days. One could say he was a bit...chubby. Of course, being around eggs and sugar every day, what normal kid would not pack up the pounds? It was like placing a mouse in a bowl of cheese. And he not only devoured with a passion, he ate with a purpose. Subconsciously he was making mental notes of what combination worked and what didn’t. From that time on he had already decided what he wanted to become – a pastry master extraordinaire.

His musings was immediately cut off by a knock on the door. It was Carlo, very much keyed up.

“Bro, you got to see who just came in!” Carlo announced.

“Who was it?” Gerald asked as he followed Carlo outside.

Both of them now peeked at the circular glass on the doors dividing the kitchen and the main dining area.

“I thought this was my worst day ever...until she came...now, my life is complete. I can just die now!” Carlo said with much bravado.

“Stop being melodramatic...who came in?”

“Her, that girl in the corner...”

Gerald looked on to where Carlo was alluding to.

There she was...still the most beautiful creature Gerald has ever seen in his life. Even in her jeans and shirt, she still looked fabulous. She was sitting by the corner, alone. She was reading this paperback, a glass of cold fruit tea on her table. People passing by, can’t help but stop and stare. Diners inside the patisserie looked on as well. It was as if the entire energy of their quaint restaurant was suddenly in by her sheer presence. Rightfully so, she’s only the most famous celebrity that has graced the small screen and silver screen in decades! She was her generations’ most prominent star.

“Is that who I think it is?” Gerald wondered.

“Yep, it’s her...” Carlo confirmed. “No other than the Superstar Incarnate herself...Kimberly Go!”

Kim was waiting... very patiently. Fortunately, patience was one of her foremost virtues. As busy as she was, she was not used to waiting herself. Tardiness was one of her pet peeves. She’s as big a celebrity as big could go. She gets paid thousands of pesos for a minute of her time and it’s such a waste to spend it just waiting for a guy ---even if he was known by everyone as your long time boyfriend and favourite love team.

Kim was in fact waiting for Jake Cuengco, the country’s most bankable matinee idol. Jake is the quit essential movie star. He is more of a diva than her. He is lazy and crude. But he is charming and his heart is in the right place. Kim has to give him that. Somehow she found herself in a relationship with him, maybe out of pity for the fans, she can’t be for sure. She just woke up one morning, read it on the papers that they were an item. Jake pounced on the chance and here they were, a year later, still a couple ---for reel and real. Kim nonetheless finds him attractive and cute, but he was as superficial as a fake eyelash. He is funny at best but he is such a simpleton that Kim longs for more connection than just a funny line here and there. She wanted something more. She needed more passion. She wants her heart to skip several beats when he kisses him. For Jake, his kisses were warm, but they were bland. His best kisses in movies and TV may seem really good, but that’s why they are getting paid good money for acting, and she was the consummate actress. She just doesn’t feel it though. There was no...magic!

Today was the last straw for Kim. Now that their blockbuster movie has been released on DVD, it’s about time that she released him too. Making her wait in this incredibly hot day, solidified Kim’s decision. She has to dump him now, somehow. She was already thinking of the things she was going to say to him. Looking at the people around them, maybe it would not be a good idea to break up with him in front of these many people. He might faint and Kim didn’t have the heart to humiliate him in front of these many people. She wanted to put on her sunglasses to hide her disappointment, but it seems too late now. People have recognized her already.

However, Jake and Kim are set to do another teleserye, which unfortunately will run for at least six months more. Kim thought that she could not go through this farce any further. She needed to set things straight with him.
Their relationship is going nowhere and this is where it has to end. She thought that being upfront and honest about is the way to go. She needed to make it short but brutal, maybe that would get through his thick skull.

“Maybe I should do it by text,” Kim thought. She had to brush the thought aside as she see a black Escalade pull over the side walk. It was him.

She was almost thankful that she chose this location for their fateful meeting. She never been to this place before but she heard about it from her friend, Alex. It was nice and quiet. Though people are starting to line up, they had this little corner where it was a bit private. That’s where she was at right now, her iced tea starting to sweat from the radiant heat in the room. She immediately thought that maybe it was her nervousness causing the temperature to spike. She sipped more of the iced tea...
.
.
.
Xoxoxox
.
.
.
Two pairs of eyes are still glued on watching Kim. Those piercing gazes came from the porthole feature on the kitchen doors. But no one was more observant and aware of her presence than Gerald. He was keenly observing her every movement. Every heaving of her chest, every batting of her eyelash. She was more glorious now when he first saw her.

“Boss, should I get her order now?” interrupted Carlo.

“Wait for a little bit. I think she is waiting for somebody...”

“Dude, I think I know who it is...” Carlo deduced.

“Who?”

“Satan...”

Then came in, the devil himself. It was Jake the Snake (why anybody calls him that, he doesn’t know for sure). Gerald felt his world instantly tumble upside down. For any other man, there could not be anybody more physically intimidating than Jake Cuengco. He was good looking too, but this guy is a God. Jake looked more polished and slick on his worst day than Gerald does on his good day. He was that good looking...

Girls started to swoon at his presence. The nervous energy in the room was replaced by this frantic energy only adolescent girls could muster. Almost instantly, girls started to circle him like hungry sharks. He had to politely cast them off as he made his way to Kim.

“Now, go and get their order...” Gerald commanded Carlo.

Carlo instantly obliged. Gerald was still keenly observing them from the Kitchen doors. His full attention was now on the couple. Carlo whistled his way over to them.

Kim smiled tritely as Jake slipped into the seat in front of her. He flashed her his most gorgeous smile. Kim’s heart almost melted like most times. But this time she was more determined to repel his charms. She focused herself on her drink. She took a sip of it to relieve herself of the heat.

“Babe, what’s all this about?” asked Jake, covering her stow away left hand with his massive one. Kim observed that she didn’t even feel a tingle from his touch. She withdrew her hand.

“Ah..I wanted to talk to you...about something,” Kim blabbered. Not a good start for her either. If only she could control her nerves. She was an actress and she could deliver lines, she was almost cursing herself for screwing up.

“Babe, talk to me about what? Why here?” asked Jake, looking at Kim puzzlingly.

“Isn’t this a nice place? I thought it would be nice to....” Kim wandered off. She was not ready to lay down the blows yet. Maybe, after they had a bite. Maybe then he could process her decision better on a full stomach, rather than an empty one.

As if on cue, Carlo came in to get their orders.

“What would you like to order today sir, maam?” Carlo asked courteously.

“What do you have here that doesn’t contain sugar and gluten, or even any transfat?” Jake asked.

Carlo’s mind went blank. He froze on his feet. In his mind, he mulled over their entire menu, there was no such thing as sugar-free in this restaurant.

“Jake, this is a pastry shop...they sell sweets...” said Kim sarcastically.

“Babe, maybe they have recipes for the diet conscious,” Jake said, smiling sweetly at Kim.

“Sir, with all due respect, we do not have a sugar free line. That would be Starbucks...” Carlo answered sardonically.

Jake was dumbfounded. His relatively simple mind could not grasp whether or not Carlo’s wise- remark was actually a spite at him.

“I would like to have another glass of this ice tea, please. He will have your crème brulee and coffee, ” said Kim to somehow defuse the situation.

“Anything else for the lady, some cake or pie perhaps?” asked Carlo, as he was writing down their orders.

“I’ll have your house special...” Kim replied.

“Good choice, I’ll get them ready...” Carlo said briefly.

As he turned around, he heard Jake ask Kim, “What the heck is a cream bruley? Sounds queer to me...”

Carlo shook his head. Jake was sure as dumb as dumb can get. He ultimately wondered what Kim sees in him.
.
.
.
X0x0x0x0x
.
.
.
Gerald found himself asking the same question, “Jeez, what does Kim see in that guy?”

He was chopping some almonds for his next creation.

Carlo came up beside him, “I have no clue, boss...”

“So, what did they order?” Gerald asked.

“Creme brulee for him...how boring! And, house special for her, whatever that is!” Carlo pondered.

“What house special? We don’t have such thing as a house special...” said Gerald.

Carlo moved towards the kitchen door once again to observe them, particularly Kim.

“I didn’t have the heart to correct her, boss. Just give her something nice and fluffy...Look at her, she looks sooo amazing!” Carlo said.

Gerald moved up beside him. He watched Kim listening inattentively to whatever Jake was boasting about. She looked like she was bored and....sad.

“Maybe, you could cook her your HAPPY PIE?” suggested Carlo.

“No, definitely no!”

“Why not? Look at her, she looks...lost!” Carlo insisted.

“It’s not for her...”reasoned Gerald.

“Why not? Maybe it will even clear her mind up as far as that Jake creep is concerned,” reasoned Carlo.

“It will take a while for me to make it...besides it’s just a simple pie, there is nothing really magical or special about it.”

“That’s not what I’ve heard,” Carlo answered. “How many women have already come here insisting that you serve them a piece of that pie, huh? Hundreds! They all say one thing, that pie produces some sort of a good feeling with them. It was as if they felt instant gratification when they tasted it. Now, why do you refuse to do it? Why not now? Why not for her?”

“Because, she seems happy to me...” Gerald lied. “I don’t want my pies to be reasons of people breaking up, I want my pies to be sources of good feeling, not bad...”

“Happy?!! Did you see her, boss?” Carlo said. “You’re in fact going to do her a big favour.”

“Even then, I don’t want to.” Gerald protested.

“You said that there’s nothing special to it, that it’s just a pie, “ Carlo continued. “How come you are refusing to make it for her? Why are you afraid to give it to her?”

Gerald had no answer for Carlo. Truth is he was afraid. If his masterpiece pie will evoke some kind of good emotions from her, he wanted it to be for him. He had people come and tell him that his pies are as good as an aphrodisiac to many. They elicit some kind of a chemical reaction from within them. Once people ate them, they instantly felt warm and friendly. It makes them instantly smile. His pies, most especially this one, appease the brain’s pleasure centers like no other.

Actually, there is more science to it than just chance when it came to making this masterpiece. Gerald invented this recipe himself. He researched thoroughly and combined every fruit and spice he knew that pleases the senses. What he created was a pie like no other. He doesn’t make it on a daily bases though, and not for everyone too. He would make them once a month or so and he especially gives them away to the more forlorn people he sees in the store. It's like a special privilege he gives out to the needy in spirit. Gerald had this knack to spot and see the more depressed people in the restaurant and he would feed them the pie. Almost immediately they walk out of the store feeling instantly happy. If there was a house special, the “happy pie” would be it.

“So boss, how about making this girl happy for once?” said Carlo.

“Give her this lemon meringue pie” said Gerald, slicing a piece of the new pie he just fished out of the oven. “This is just as good...”

“Come on, boss! Where’s the daring Gerald I know?”

“I said no! I vow to no longer play with other people’s feelings...”

“Boss, as long you make those wonderful pies, you are ultimately playing with their tired and hungry souls...” Carlo said dramatically.

“Hush now...here, their orders are ready now,” Gerald said, placing the glorious creation unto to the tray.

Carlo immediately propped the tray unto his right hand and cheerfully carried them out of the kitchen. Gerald observed from the window how Kim was delighted with her dessert. She beamed at the sight of her lemon pie.

Kim daintily forked a small portion of her dessert. The moment she tasted it, the sad look on her face disappeared. It was almost been replaced by one of sheer satisfaction.

“Yummm....this is...so good,” Kim mused. She took another bite. Then, another.

Meanwhile, Jake played around the crumbly sugar crust of his own dessert.

“Honey, look at this. This is diabetes on a plate...” said Jake.

“Just eat it, okay? Oh my God, this is so...good...it’s almost...”Kim could not find the words to describe it.

“ic?” said Jake blankly.

Kim gave him a sharp look. Sometimes he doesn’t realize the things that come out of his mouth.

“I can’t eat this...” Jake said, pushing his plate away.

“Try it, it soo, soo good.” Regaled Kim.

“You know what, you shouldn’t eat too much of this stuff. It will make you fat. I like you for who you are now. I don’t know if I’m going to feel the same way if you’re ...fat!” Jake said.

Kim placed her fork down. She looked at him with all incredulity...

“Jake, I’m going to tell you something and Honey, I’m going to say it just once...”

“What is it honeybunch?” asked Jake sweetly, still oblivious of her growing disdain.

“You’re a pig!” Kim grabbed her plate of pie and smashed it on his face. “Just in case you might misinterpret it...that means were through!”

Jake looked terribly surprised. Yellow globs of the pie filling are still running off his face.

“Honey wait! Look at what you did to my face!” Jake said standing up, trying to catch on Kim.

Just before Kim, got out of the door, she shot back at
Jake, “By the way, that pie doesn’t deserve your face!”

She winked and smiled at Carlo just before she got out of the door. People around them immediately stood up and cheered Kim as she walked out. Jake was left with no choice but to slump into his chair, confused and embarrassed.

Carlo walked over to him and handed him their bill.

“How did you find the dessert sir? Was it sweet enough?” said Carlo.

Jake would have taken his head off in an instant, but that was before Kim reduced his ego to a state less than that of a man. He no longer had the force to outwit this wise-cracking waiter. He merely fumed at his chair, lemon meringue pie running on his face.
.
.
.
____
.
.
.