DREAMS - chapter one

Seven Incarnations
DREAMS (third incarnation)
.
.
.
An artist loses his eyesight and a young nurse is his only eyes to the world.
.
.
.
An international reporter, who had witnessed several wars unfold in his lifetime, once said “the thin line that separate life and death in this world is nothing but a blink.” One moment you are enjoying the beauty of life as you know it, the next minute you’re dead. It did not occur to this young man of 22, seated comfortably at the back of the plane, that any moment now his life will be at the roll of a dice. Little does he know, as he looks out into the window, that the beauty of the skies at the break of dawn may be the last beautiful scenery he would ever see.

Another Gerald rode that fateful PR 162 flight from Vancouver to Manila that morning of the first week of December. His name is Gerald Andrew Lopez. He is a bit scruffier than the other Gerald seating on front of the plane. Being an artist though allows him to look more unkempt than usual. He thinks that it is part of his artistic license to be grubby. Why not? To artists, the pursuit of an artwork always comes ahead of any personal necessities. His fingernails are a bit long, with dried out paint underneath. His jeans are torn and paint stains and drippings are plentiful. His black graphic t-shirt seemed to channel every last bit of young adult angst he has left with him. It has been days since he had shaved, so his youthful stubble is a bit longer than usual. His longish hair is of course a bit dishevelled too. However, his shabby look can’t hide his soulful brown eyes. A lot of people have told him that he has the eyes of an older person. They say that when he looks at another individual, it seems as if he can see through that other person’s soul.

Why was he on the first flight to the Philippines? One reason. His mother asked him to come home. His mom and dad separated when he was 12 and painful as it was, he had to choose among them who to live with permanently. His mom wanted to stay in the Philippines and his dad wanted to stay in LA. It has been more than two years since he last saw his mom and when she begged him to come home, he reluctantly told her he couldn’t go. However, what his mom doesn’t know is that he is on his way home now. Opportunity came up and he readily took it. He has a major exhibit for his paintings coming up and he was just squeezing in this time to visit his mom. After a week, though, he plans on going back to L.A right away. He vowed to make this visit special for his mom. He’s going to surprise her. He was very much looking forward in seeing his mom’s reactions when she sees him standing on her front door.

After a full night of frustrations, the plane finally touched down. Gerald put on his shades the moment he stepped out of the airport. He never saw the sun this bright before. Just outside of the airport building, a young lady of about 17, dressed oddly in yellow denim jacket bumped into him.

“Hey, watch out!” Gerald tried to avoid her but it was too late. She has cup of steaming coffee on her hand, now it is on his shirt.

“Sorry...” said Kim Tan. She tried to wipe it off him, but the more she did, the more incensed he became.

“Watch were you’re going, miss, especially if you’re holding hot coffee. You’ll never know who you will be spilling it to...” he advised her.

The very livid Gerald tried to play it cool after that, even though the hot beverage was almost scalding his skin. He signalled her that he was okay and she left immediately without any forethought. Gerald shook his head. What sore luck he’s had the last few days. His plane was delayed coming in and now his day started with a slight misfortune.

He hailed a cab. A white cab immediately pulled over. Gerald immediately flung his duffel bag into the taxi and slid into the passenger seat. The driver seemed cordial, his name he said was Mang Andres.

“Mang Andres,” Gerald said. “I need to go to Quezon City.”

“Yes sir,” Mang Andres cordially replied.

They slowly pulled out of the curb. Gerald put on his Ipod earpieces and slowly drifted off. A few minutes later, as they reached the first major intersection, a driver from behind suddenly lost control of his own car. He rammed his fender into the back of their cab, sending it spinning right into the oncoming traffic. Gerald, who was sleeping, was suddenly jolted by the bump. When he opened his eyes, he saw a 10-wheeler truck smashing into them. Brakes screeched but the truck still made contact. Gerald saw his cab and his own life spin a couple of times in slow motion. Almost instantly scenes from his young life flashed before his eyes. That was the last time he saw the world. A few seconds later ....everything went black.
.
.
.
0X0x0x0x0x0
.
.
THREE DAYS LATER
.
.
Kimberly Abigail Lim brightly said hello to her mother that afternoon. She burst into her mother’s hospital room like a fresh dose of sunshine in her all-white nursing student uniform. IF only her mother could smile back.

“Mom, guess what?” said Kim. “I was named best intern for this rotation! I successfully assisted in the delivery of three babies in a row, and our clinical instructor was totally pleased with my performance.”

No mother could ever be prouder. If she could hug her, she would. But Kim’s mother did not move. Nor did she open her eyes. In fact, her eyes had remained shut for the past five years. Ever since her mom had a drowning incident ten years ago, she had been paralyzed from the neck down. Her condition deteriorated to a point that complications in her lungs, led her to slip into a coma five years ago. They’ve been in and out of the hospital in the last decade, but none longer than this last one. Her mom had been almost a permanent fixture in the General Avelino Lim Memorial Hospital. Nurses are quite familiar with her and her family’s situation. Resident doctors would once in a while check up and chat with either her or her dad. They’ve been in there for a good solid year. Of course, it helps that your grandparents own the hospital, hence their stay is free.

Every afternoon, after school, she would visit her mom and tell her of what her day had been like. Kim, who is 20 years old, is now on her last year of nursing school and she had been especially excited lately because she was about to graduate in a few months time.

Kim, subconsciously, always wanted to study nursing in order for her to take care of her mom. Her dad was so busy maintaining their business, and has very little time in between taking care of his ailing wife and the responsibility of taking care his three children. Kim knows her dad loves her mom, but she took it upon herself to take care of her for him. His dad’s life, even theirs, had to go on somehow. She doesn’t resent her dad at all. In fact, he does visit her regularly, but most of the time he doesn’t stay for long. He takes a look of the medical bills, kisses her comatose wife and leaves. There are moments though that Kim would catch him, talking to her, sometimes himself break down completely. Kim never ever doubted his devotion to his wife. It’s just especially hard for him seeing her like that.

“Mom, in a few months time, I’ll be personally taking care of you...” Kim said as she tidies up her mom’s bedside table. She took the old flowers out and replaced them with the new ones she brought.

“You’re mom would be happy if you did...”

Kim was a bit startled. It was only her friend Regine.
Regine Angeles is one of the staff nurses of the 5th floor ICU. She had been friends with Kim ever since her mom’s conditioned worsened and they have to be stationed there at the hospital.

“Hi Reg,” Kim greeted her. “You almost frightened me, I thought it was my mom who suddenly spoke.”

“Ha ha, like I’m pretty sure your mom will talk back to you...”

“You know what, maybe someday she will,” Kim said with conviction. “someday, she will surprise everybody, she will just wake up, stand up and make the grandest speech...”

“Sorry, I don’t mean to be a grouch,” said Regine. “you’re mom does look lovelier today, she has more color on her cheeks now.”

“Yes she does,” Kim answered. “My mom is very beautiful, she used to be a beauty pageant winner when she was younger.”

“Really? ” Regine answered. “I can surely tell. All I have to do is look at you, gosh, you surely do look like her. Your resemblance is uncanny...”

“No, she is more beautiful!” Kim said.

Kim suddenly turned to look at her mom. Her mom, as she remembered when she was 10, used to be a very beautiful woman. Kim remembers how her mom’s face would light up her mornings with just one smile. When she looks at her now, Kim could not help but cry. Her taut face has now sunk, her skin is loose and pale, she is almost stick and bones. Bed ridden for ten years, comatose in the last five, this could really make you look years older than your actual age. Nutrition is a challenge to these types of patients too. Kim wishfully thinks that her mom does look better today. That is the sort of thought that she allows herself to believe in, and she vowed never to tire of it.

“I have news for you that will surely brighten up your day” segued Regine perhaps sensing that Kim is once again slipping into a somber mood, as she most often does on her visits.

“What is it?”

“We have a new occupant there in 55E. Accident victim from three days ago, he’s comatose too. But he is sooo cute, “ Regine regaled.

“You know what, you should go have your head checked!” Kim answered.

“OH, this guys is so hot, I can tell. He has a nice build, rough looks, and the best part of it, he is only partially injured. Most of his limbs are still working!”

“You’re disgusting, Reg!”

“It’s not just me, ask the other nurses. You know what, he is this sort of a miracle. His car was so badly smashed, yet he came out of it only with a few bruises and a broken rib.”

“You forgot he is... comatose...”

“Yeah, that too. Even then, he could have died instantly,” reasoned Regine. “Besides, Doctor Dave said he has a good chance that he might wake up from his trauma. ”

“Do you even know the poor guy’s name? Does he have a family?” asked Kim.

“We have not found any ID on him. His wallet was still missing, so we’ve been looking all over for any clue. Nobody ever came to claim him. So, we temporarily named him, MacDreamy.”

“MacDreamy?” Kim said incredulously.

“Wait till you see him, he is on that room across this one.” Regine said.

Suddenly they heard a code red on the speakers, so Regine had to rush out of the room.

“Got to go!” Regine said. “Catch you later!”

“I’m going home early tonight, got tons of homework....”

Regine was gone even before she could finish her sentence. This left Kim really curious to check out the random sleeping guy across the room. She brushed the thought aside as she turned back to her mom. Kim spent the rest of the afternoon, telling her mom how her day went. She told her all of her fears and apprehensions and it brings her great comfort to open up with her. Her mom was a really good listener.
.
.
.
0x0x0x0x0
.
.
.
Kim finally bid goodbye to her mom. As she stepped out of the hospital room, Room 55E caught her attention. She fought with herself whether or not she would take a peek. Her inner curiosity won. She looked around if anybody was looking then she slowly turned the door knob to the room.

The first time she saw him sleeping soundly like a baby, her heart almost fell. He seemed to be very much at peace. She watched his chest heave up and down, in a rhythm as old as time. At least he is still alive, she confirmed. Her attention returned to his face. There is something about him, about his face. She could not resist not touching him. She moved closer towards the bed. With her heart pounding, her hand traveled unconsciously to touch his face. Her fingertips lightly his hair. It was smooth and velvety. She slowly traced the outline of his jaw. She noticed that he is young too, no more than 25, she deduced, yet his jaw line was strong and mature. She lightly touched the gentle arch of his luxurious eyebrows. His nose was perfect. His lips, despite the beginnings of a beard, stood out perfectly in its lushness. She could not resist herself. Slowly, she touched his lips...

Then, suddenly his strong hand gripped Kim’s soft wrist! She winced in both pain and shock.

“Who are you?!!!” His strong raspy voice demanded. His eyes were still closed.

Kim hesitated to answer.

“Who are you!!!???”

“I’m ...I’m your...nurse...” Kim replied nervously. She tried to twist her arm out of his grip, but he held on to it with dear life.

Kim begged, “Let me go!”

“Aren't you here to take care of me?” he finally let her go. He opened his eyes, yet he did not look at her.

“Sort of...I’m on my way out, I could get somebody else for you...”

“Please don’t leave me...”he forced himself to sit up.

“No, don’t do that!” Kim exclaimed. “Wait, I’ll page somebody!”

“Miss, please don’t leave me here... “ said Gerald, his voice softened. Kim can sense a bit of panic in his voice.

At that time, Gerald became suddenly afraid. He could barely see this girl’s face. He can barely see anything. Light and shadows are the only things he could see.

“Miss, why is it that I can’t see?” he said in a tone so pure and desperate, it can melt any heart of stone.

Kim’s heart fell to the floor.

Gerald held out his hand as if he was in the dark. Kim, instinctively reached out and held his hand. Gerald readily took her hand and placed it close to his heart, as if it was his most valuable possession.

“Wait, I’ll call the doctor....”Kim said softly. “...so that they can take a look at your eyes.”

“Wait, tell me your name...”

“My name is Kim.”

“Kim?! It cannot be! ” he exclaimed. He tried to sit up straight, a look of concern on his face.

“Yes...my name is Kim.” She said, moving closer, curious as to what her name meant to him.

“How long have I been out?” he asked.

“I think they said three days,” she answered. “You were in a coma...”

He paused for a few seconds to think of what had just happened to him. All he could remember was a truck was about to hit them, then all went into a blur. Little did he expect that his life will once again have another strange turn. He told Kim what bothered him...

“All the while I was sleeping, I kept dreaming that I was in this horrible plane crash...and I dreamt that a girl was taking care of me....and her name was...Kim...”

With that Kim pushed the page button by the wall, goose bumps started to run all over her body.
.
.
.