MISS COLORFUL - Chapter 2

Seven Incarnations
.
.
.
.
So, okay. I know I wasn’t present when Kim went to his office. That doesn’t mean my story is not true! I have Kim’s confessional, and it’s signed. So therefore, what you are about to read, is 100% factual. Just so you know

Kim went her own that afternoon. Despite her begging and pleading, I remained cold hearted and let her face her own lunacy. She stepped out of the busy Makati street, with a renewed sense of vigor. At last, she will see him again.

--- Sasha ---

.
.
.
.

It was a rather windy day and Kim had to struggle not to swept away by the swirling breeze. She held on dearly to the humungous bouquet Gerald Lagdameo ordered. Kim gracefully averted the incoming traffic and managed to get herself intact into the high rise building of La Mancha Technologies. As soon as she entered the building, she saw some of the people she already knew from the countless times she had visited them. There was Mang Jose, the security guard; Manong Joey, the janitor; and Kuya Joseph the elevator attendant.

“Good Morning Kim! You’re early today. Wow, to whom is that for this time?” Mang Jose greeted.

“I really don’t know, Mang Jose....your boss ordered it just now!” Kim said, as she struggled to hold on to the obtrusive flowers.

“Grabe talaga si Boss! Every week, different girl!” chuckled Manong Joey.

“I think Kim is the only single girl left in metro manila that our boss hasn’t made a play with!” commented Kuya Joseph.

“That will be the day, Kuya!” said Kim. “I don’t really know why he hasn’t made a move on me. Maybe he is just blind!”

“IF I were the man I was, forty years ago, I would have wooed you Kim!” said Manong Joey. “You are one heck of a catch! You’re beautiful, you’re smart! What else could a guy ask for!”

“How sweet of you, Manong!” said Kim. “I think your boss has a requirement for cup sizes that’s why he hasn’t turned his attention on me yet.”

Manong Joey scratched his head. He didn't get what Kim said. Kuya Joseph, then made a lewd gesture to show him what she meant. Manong Joey then smiled back at her.

“Don’t worry Kim, as women get older...the bigger they rise, the bigger they fall!” said Manong Joey empathetically.

Kim bursts out laughing.

“Manong Joey! You are so funny. I’m pretty sure he’ll tire out of those cups C’s and D’s soon enough. And when he does...I’ll be right there waiting for him!” Kim answered optimistically.

“That’s our girl!” said Mang Jose. “You go get him, Kim!”

“Kuya Joseph, bring me to the top!” Kim rallied the elevator attendant.

And to the top they went. Kuya Joseph masterfully pushed the button of the topmost floor. That is where offices of the head business units were located. Kim’s ears would always pop when the elevators reach the 20th floor. BY the time they reach the topmost 35th floor, Kim is as dizzy as can be.

“Kim, are you okay?” asked Kuya Joseph.

“I’m perfectly fine, Kuya...I’m just a little afraid of heights!” revealed Kim.

“Ganun ba? Sige, next time, we’ll go slower!” said Kuya Joseph smartly.

Kim gave him a mocking laugh, “As if you can do that, Kuya! You are so silly!”

Kim turned around and stepped out of the elevator. Like many times before, no amount of goading from her “custodial” friends could ever give her enough courage to face Gerald. Seeing also how well-dressed the girls were in that office didn’t help Kim’s struggling confidence either. Kim almost wanted to retreat back into the comfort zone of her flower shop. Only the promise of seeing Gerald’s face made Kim go through with it.

As she made her way into the main lobby, a familiar face greeted her. “Oh, Kim, are those for him?”

It was Charrie, Gerald's secretary. Kim nodded absent-mindedly. All the while, she was looking at her. The statuesque beauty was not so unfortunate looking either. It made Kim cringe a little bit. Even in the immediate confines of his work environment, Gerald was surrounded with beautiful women.

With that in mind, Kim thought how could somebody like Gerald possibly entertain somebody like her. Sure she wasn’t unpleasant to the sight, but she wasn’t spectacular either. Kim knew, somebody his stature is looking for somebody who is more or less...errm, drool-worthy.

“Is he in his office?” Kim asked Charrie.

“Yes, go ahead, he’s been waiting for you...” she answered. “Here, I’ll buzz you in...”

“Thank you,” Kim replied. Her heart thudded. He had been waiting for her? Every cell in Kim’s body jumped for joy.

Charrie pressed a button on her phone. “Sir, Miss Colourful is here with your flower delivery...”

IN her own nervousness, Kim didn’t even hear Charrie’s monicker for her. Everything seemed like a blur...like many times before. Why is she always a wreck when facing him? Over the phone, she was okay...but face to face, all sense of coherence abandons her.

“Send her in, “ said the warm voice on the other line. Kim noted a hint of excitement in those three phrases.

Charrie flashed Kim a genuine smile, “Go ahead, Kim!”

Kim nervously made her way into the office adjacent to Charrie’s cubicle. The sign on the door says : Gerald Lagdameo – Senior IT Head Analyst. For a software company, that was the position wanted by everybody. He was the boss of all the other smart, geeky guys, how cool is that? Kim’s admiration for him grew even more. Not to mention, how young he was when he reached such esteemed position. Kim guessed him to be no older than 22 years old.

Kim pushed the door slowly. A man in a crisp, light blue shirt greeted her with a smile. He was talking animatedly on the phone. He gave Kim a slight nod. That gave Kim a few seconds to take in the beautiful sight before her. HE was really drop-dead gorgeous. Kim whiffed the circulating air in the room. She never smelled anything so sweet. Kim doesn’t recognize the scent he was wearing but it sure was yummy. Smelling the essence of Gerald made water. That was just the appetizer. The main course isn't so bad, either. Kim focused her eyes on his face. His hair was combed perfectly into place. His features was both soft and strong, if that were possible. His eyes are expressive, his nose perfectly aligned. His lips looked soft and kissable. Kim felt her armpits sweat. He just have that effect on her.

Gerald finally put down the phone. “Kimmy, I’m so happy to see you!”

Happy to see her? Kim was so unprepared for that. She didn’t know what to do.

“Wow, those flowers are amazing!” he said. He stood up and moved closer to her. “What are those?”

Kim wanted to faint that very second. “These are hybrid tea roses and some bachelor’s buttons.”

“Bachelor’s buttons?” he asked, referring to the pink-colored buds.

“Yes, we imported them from the States, a rather unique touch by myself!” Kim said proudly.

“Wow, Kim you’re the greatest. They really look nice next to the white roses.” Gerald said. “What do they signify?”

Kim excitedly imparted what they meant, “Well, bachelor’s buttons usually signify hope and devotion. Back in the Victorian era, men would carry this around and gave this to their lovers as a sign of affection. Now, if the flowers fade quickly, that means their intentions were not sincere. But, if they flourish even more, that means that the bachelor is sincere and that the relationship will go strongly.”

“Really? Maybe, I should pray now that they don’t fade quickly then...” he said. “How about the roses? What do they mean?”

“Well, hybrid tea roses, regardless of color, usually means I’ll remember you always...” Kim answered.

“Wow, how did you learn all that Kim?” he asked.

Gerald was smiling broadly as Kim handed him the flowers. Kim’s heart glowed from his approving glance.

“Well, if you’re in the flower business, you have to study floriography...”

“Floriography?” echoed Gerald. “Study of flowers, I suppose?”

“Yes, study of flowers!” Kim seconded. “You see, flowers, like women, are very complicated...”

“I agree to that!” he said cheerily.

“Each flower has its own meaning. Even the colors matter. Even the way they are presented in a bouquet matters!” Kim said knowledgeably. “Back in those days, even the way the flowers were handed out to another person can convey different meanings. So you really have to be very careful not to convey the wrong message!”

Gerald placed the bouquet on his desk. He then sat on the edge of table and looked at Kim fondly.

“Could you give me examples of what flowers to avoid then?” he asked.

“Well, there are a lot. Say, for example, a bunch of Petunias can mean resentment and anger. Or say a yellow hyacinth can mean jealousy...oh gosh, geraniums are a whole different league altogether. If you receive scarlet geraniums, that means, I don’t trust you... pink ones mean, explain yourself! ” Kim explained in a couple of breaths. “But my favourite faux pax of all time, is the spider flower!”

“Spider flower?”

“Yes, very, very tricky flower. A bunch of it, may mean, I may not be as bad as it seems...” Kim said. “But if you include it in a bouquet, that means, I want to elope with you!”

“No, I don’t want that!” Gerald said with a laugh.

At that point, Gerald motioned her to sit on the comfy chair in front of his desk. Kim meekly sat across him.

“Speaking of favourites...” said Gerald. “Do you have a favourite one?”

“OH gosh, I never thought of that...nobody asked me that before!” Kim said honestly. “Let me think...hmmm...Gloxinias would probably be nice, because they mean love at first sight. Oh wait! Carnations! Carnations are the best...especially red ones.”

“What do red carnations mean?”

“It means...my heart aches for you...” Kim said shyly.

“Wow, next time order those...” said Gerald. “You’re really amazing Kim, do you know that?”

Kim looked at him. What did he mean by that? Should she be ordering them for herself? Kim was altogether confused.

She decided to pry a little bit, “So, you really want red carnations?”

“Yes, for somebody very special to me...” said Gerald, looking straight into her eyes. “That would be perfect indeed!”

Kim’s heart almost escaped her rib cage. Was he alluding to her. Of course he did, Kim decided. HE was giving it to her, knowing that she loved them! It was so unexpected of him. Kim wanted to cry in happiness.

“Kim, can I tell you something...” Gerald said, lowering his head slightly.

“Go, ahead...I’m listening...” Kim answered, batting her eyelashes coyly at him.

This is it! This is SO very it! He was going to propose to her.

“You really are God-sent to me, Kim.” he said, his voice terse. “I wouldn’t know what to do without you!”

“I wouldn’t know what to do without me, either...” Kim replied, absent-mindedly.

“Kim, I need to ask you a question...”

“Go ahead...I’m ready...” Kim said, bracing the edge of her seat.

“Will you go on a date....”

“YES! I would love to!” Kim said prematurely.

“...with me and Angel...” Gerald finished.

“What?!”

“Kim, will you be available tomorrow night?”

“Sorry, I think I misheard you the first time...”

“I said...would you be available to go with me...on my date with Angel Ann Alonzo?” said Gerald.

Kim wanted to cry --- in dismay this time. Here she was, expecting a proposal. Now she gets this? She wanted to die in embarrassment. For the nth time...she had been disappointed. Here he was with another girl. IT was like Armageddon all over again. Maybe she should have listened to Sasha and Joross!

“Wait, did you just say Angel Ann Alonzo? Triple A herself?” exclaimed Kim.

“Yes, can you believe that? We met on a bar last night...and tomorrow night, we’re going on a date!” Gerald excitedly imparted. “I couldn’t believe it myself! I'm the world's luckiest guy!”

Kim was disgusted. How could he date her? Of all people! Angel Alonzo was the diva actress of her generation. She made a name for herself for doing a string of racy soap operas. Not only that, she also has a long list of lovers to her credit. That, she was famous for. Kim was floored how he was genuinely excited to go on a date with her!

“I thought she was with that actor Sam Lloyd Pascual?”

“According to her, they broke up a long time ago!” said Gerald.

“Seriously, Angel Alonzo?” Kim asked sheepishly.

“Why not?” answered Gerald. “She’s very y...”

Kim’s spirits came crashing down the floor. y...she is not. She is finally realizing how superficial he can be.

“...not to mention she is very easy to talk to...very genuine person!” Gerald added. “I can tell she has a heart of gold...”

Well, it does help that her heart is encased in double cup D’s --- Kim thought.

“When is it going to be?” Kim said with a heavy sigh.

“Tomorrow night...”

“What am I doing there? That would be very awkward having the three of us there!”

“No, four...she will have her personal assistant there too...”

“I thought this was a date, not a meeting...” Kim said sarcastically.

Gerald smiled meekly.

“Well, Kim, I actually have another confession to make...” Gerald revealed. “But, could you promise me not to tell anybody, especially not her!”

Bring it on! It was one confession after another. Kim thought, does she even look remotely like a priest? Why do most men find it easy to reveal sordid details of their lives to her? Was she that comfortable looking? A hundred thoughts raced across Kim’s mind all at one time.

“What is it?” Kim asked. “What is the big secret?”

“Promise first that you won’t tell anybody!” Gerald said with the cutest of grins.

Kim's heart instantly melted. He looked like a young boy who is about to open his gift on Christmas morning. His smile was deadly.

"Promise me, Kim..." Gerald repeated.

Kim heaved a regretful sigh, “I promise...”

Now it was valid...and binding.

She fell into his trap all over again. How could she allow herself to go through this? As she looked into his boyish brown eyes, the answer was simple. She was falling for him, and no amount of heartache can change that.

"Well, what did you do?"

“Okay, I kinda lied to her...” Gerald said.

“What?” Kim exclaimed. “What about?”

“Who I really was!” Gerald gave away.

“How?”

“I kinda gave her this idea that I may be richer than what I actually am...”

“Why did you have to do that?!” asked Kim. “You’re richer than 95% of the people in the Philippines anyway!”

“Yes, but not rich enough for her!” Gerald
explained. “Kim, this is Angel Alonzo we’re talking about. Somebody like her deserves to be with someone the likes of an oil magnate, sugar barons...president of the Philippines!”

“So you pretended to be whom?”

“My boss...in my excitement, I kind of told her that I own this company...”

“That is one big, fat lie!”

“I know! Isn’t that crazy?!”

Kim never thought a day would come that "crazy" would just be an understatement for her.

“And she believed you?” Kim asked.

“I think she did...” Gerald said.

Kim thought for a moment, “What is it exactly that you want me to do?”

“Well, somebody rich like my boss...always have his social secretary around, right?” Gerald answered. “So, I was thinking you could pretend to be my secretary for one night. In that way, you can coach me what proper things to say...what food to order, what wine to drink...”

“You don’t need coaching with those!”

“NO, Kim. With Angel, I do...” Gerald added. “And you of all people, know more of these things than anybody!”

Kim thought her mind would explode. She never felt this low in her life before. But he really, really needed her, and that is what matters.

“So, let me see if I got this correctly...” Kim surmised, even it pains her greatly. “You are asking me to support a lie that you created to impress a girl, right? In fact, you are really asking me to pretend as an employee of yours, so that you can ultimately bed an A-list star?”

“Well, that kinda sums it all up, eh?”

Just like that. How easy it was for him to ask her that. Kim wondered, how could he do such a thing? They barely knew each other. Such things you ask from a bosom buddy, not a flower delivery girl whose connection with you is as impersonal as a phone conversation about floriography. Kim was flabbergasted...but unfazed. She was determined to help him...even if it kills her.

“I don’t think I can do it...” Kim said.

“Please, Kim...”

“I’ve never lied in my life before!”

“It’s easy...all you have to do is to picture yourself in that situation, immerse yourself completely in your lie...” Gerald said. “The more you the you believe that your lie is true, the better it will be. It’s mind control, Kim...”

“I’m really not good at it...”

Kim saw Gerald’s expression drop. His candour was quickly changed to sadness.

“Wait, but didn’t I say I wasn’t willing to try?” Kim said, much to her own consternation.

“You will?” Gerald said. “Oh Kim, you’re the best!”

Gerald’s face once again lit up. He then excitedly moved close to her and gave her a cheery hug. Kim was extremely delighted. Maybe, it wasn’t going to be that bad, after all.

For a moment, Gerald felt Kim’s hug tighten. He suddenly felt a strange feeling envelope him. His laughter faded. He closed his eyes and smelled the sweet, fruity scent of her hair. A sudden rush of adrenaline shoot up in his system. His heart quivered and then thudded. There was something about this girl that was strangely...pleasant.

As if there was a charge of electricity jolting them, Gerald let go of Kim. He looked into Kim’s eyes. He knew she felt it too.

For a moment, they were both breathing heavily. Trying to level the pace of their excited hearts.

“So, Kim...is it a go for tomorrow night?”

Kim lowered her head and said, “Yes, sure..."

Awkward silence ensued.

"I need to go...” Kim said.

“Kim wait...”

“No...I need to go...just call me at the office tomorrow!” Kim said, trying to outrun her tears.

“Kim, could you please wait...I want to say something important.”

Kim immediately stopped on her tracks. Her heart thudded once more. A saving grace from him, perhaps?

“What is it?” she asked.

Gerald paused for a second.

“Uhmm...tomorrow night, could you please wear something...secretarial?” he said.

“Sure...”

Kim smiled in pain. How easy it is for him to fool her. She was the fool again and fools like her don’t mingle with gods like him. If he was the king, all she was...was the court jester. Somebody to amuse him.

Kim didn’t like that at all.

She rushed out of his office haplessly. On the way out, she bumped into Gerald’s friend, Rayver.

“Hey watch out!” Rayver said.

Kim didn’t mind him. She ran with all her might towards the elevator. Gerald had shamed her enough for the day.

Rayver gave her a curious look as the elevator doors closed. He let out a sigh as he entered Gerald’s office.

Rayver caught Gerald looking pensively out of the expansive windows of his office.

“Tol, what’s up with the girl?” Rayver asked, more to get his attention.

“Huh?”

“I said, what’s up with the flower girl?”

“What about her?”

“She seems...affected!”

“Affected?”

“I don’t know what happened here in this little office of yours...” said Rayver naughtily. “I know it’s none of my business, but...’

“It’s not what you think...” Gerald dismissed.

Rayver moved closer and playfully punched Gerald on the shoulder. “Doing hanky-panky in the office, huh! Good riddance, man!?”

“Of course not, you ert! It’s not what you’re thinking!”

“It better not be. I mean, banging a flower girl? That would be crazy. I know a couple other prettier girls in the accounting department, man!”

“But, she is pretty too...err, the flower girl, I mean...pretty...” Gerald said incoherently.

“Yeah...pretty common...” Rayver said sarcastically. “Man, but the girls I’m talking about...are like ...vavavoom!”

Gerald was only half-listening to him. In his thoughts, the scene from earlier kept repeating in his mind. How could such a simple hug elicit all these confused feelings from him. There is something about her. Something about Kim that he can’t explain...

And he was more than ever, determined to find out what...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

(unedited...hope there isn't too many mistakes!)

I thought it's about time to blow the fish out of the water...whew! Comment please...and thanks to those who did! Char, Kay, tanyaa, mari, kimerald luver, kimeraldfan! Char, I used your name...I hope you don't mind. And no! Me and Kay are two different persons. I must credit you for imagination though, for thinking we are one person. It really made my day. --- More power to everybody! Reg

I LUV TD!