DREAMS - chapter three

Seven Incarnations
X0X0X0X0X
.
.
.
Kim was instantly second guessing her decision of ever coming there. She was now standing on the front door of a very modern house in Fairview, Quezon City and she could not believe how she ever got herself into this predicament. A blind guy she barely knew asks her to fetch his mom and here she was, readily doing his bidding. He could be conning her for all she cares. She shrugged the thought away and trusted her instincts. He seemed like a good guy and she was just being a good Samaritan. She hesitated slightly, but eventually sounded the doorbell.

A middle-aged lady of about 40, with the same kind face as Gerald, greeted her. The moment Helen Lopez saw Kim, her jaw dropped. Kim meanwhile found her reaction rather immense that she was at a loss for words. She eventually broke the ice by introducing herself.

“Good morning, I’m Kim...a friend of you son...”

“Come in, come in...sorry to stare on you like that!” She said at once, ushering her to come inside the house. “I’m Helen.”

Kim shook her hand. Helen warmly clasped Kim’s hand with both of hers. Helen was oddly happy to see her, though she doesn’t know why.

Kim was amazed at how the house looked from the inside. It wasn’t excessively big, but the decor and furnishings looked very modern and stylish. Splashes of color break up the otherwise white-washed walls. Exposed beams, clean modern lines dominate the structurally unique house. Large windows surround the area, flooding the room with very austere brightness. The abstract paintings on the walls are colourful and loud, making the room very cheerful and inviting.

Kim wondered, “Are those paintings on the walls...Gerald’s?”

“Yes, they are. Those are part of his latest collection, he sent them from L.A.” Helen said, still looking intently at Kim. She was so surprised to see her here. She instantly wondered where her son was.

“Maam, you’re son is here in Manila, he said to fetch you and bring you to him.” Kim assured her upon reading the worried look on her face.

“Oh, is he? Why did he not call? Where is he?” Helen asked in succession.

“He’s in Alabang, he told me not to tell you the details...he strictly forbade me to tell you anything.”

Helen was suddenly worried. But the appearance of this young lady somehow calmed her. She was so refreshing, in both youth and beauty, that Helen did not think that something was wrong with her son. Her mind was racing with possibilities. She in fact, was wishfully thinking that her son maybe surprising her with some sort of announcement. She was thinking along the lines of an engagement. Kim’s presence solidifies her hunch. If that happens, she knew deep inside she’ll approve. One look at her and she can tell that she was a good and intelligent girl. She was the kind of girl boys bring home to meet their moms.

However, there’s a part of her that tells her something is amiss and she can’t shake it off. Call it mother’s instinct, but she does have this sixth sense telling her that her young has been harmed.

“Where are we going?” Helen pried once more.

“To Alabang,” she courteously replied. “Sorry Mrs. Lopez, but that is all I can tell you...Gerald made me promise...”

“Okay, I’ll just get my bag from upstairs...” she said.

“I’ll be waiting here,” said Kim.

“I have a question for you before we go,” Helen looked back at Kim. She somehow felt the need to empty her mind. “Have we met before?”

“Nope, Mrs. Lopez, I don’t believe so...”

“How did you know my son?” Helen asked, looking at her bewilderedly.

“Uhhmm....you can say, we’re old acquaintances...” Kim responded. It was the best thing she could think of at that particular moment.

“I believe you...” Helen said puzzlingly, quickly running up the stairs.

Kim followed her with a look of surprise and utter confusion.

Helen took the flight of stairs like she had no heart problems. She had to see it for herself. The moment this girl came in, she looked very much familiar, like she had seen her so many times before. Helen racked her mind for a clue as to where she has seen this girl before. Then, it all came to her like a massive tidal wave.

Instead of going to her room, she rushed to her son’s room instead. As she opened the door --- the past, the present and the possible future, converged upon her. There by the headboard, hang a painting done by her son Gerald...A painting of a girl --- a girl in a white dress, floating by the river surrounded by white water lilies. Helen moved closer. The girl with obvious Asian features looked exactly like...

“Por Diyos por Santo,” Helen said, as she made the sign of the cross.

The girl on the painting looked exactly like ... KIM!
.
.
.
x0x0x0x0x
.
.
.
As they were riding the car to Alabang, Helen could not help but hold Kim’s hand close to her. She smiled at her, a wistful look in her eye. Kim smiled back. Helen remembers fully how that painting came to be...

It was 10 years ago. Gerald one day, greeted her with a smile on his face. It was the summer when he was 12-years-old. Helen remembers that day like it was yesterday. He came to her, one afternoon with a proud look on his face. His green shirt was full of hideous smudges of blue paint.

“Mom, I finished it!” he said, beaming proudly at the foot of the stairs.

“Finished what?” she asked.

“My first painting!” he said.

“Really? Oh my, I’m so proud of you son! Can I see it?!” said the excited mom, rushing up the stairs to his room.

“Close your eyes!” he said. Gerald liked surprising her mother more than anybody else. It gives him a sense of accomplishment seeing her happy. He slowly guided her towards the foot of the bed. He then took his hands off her eyes.

“Taraaa!!!! Open your eyes now, mom!” he exclaimed.
Helen opened her eyes as ordered. On the easel by the window is the most visually stunning picture Helen has ever seen in her life. She was no means an art expert but she can tell that that was the kind of art no ordinary 12-year-old with no formal art training could ever do. She instantly hugged her son, letting him feel the love and pride she had for him. She knew he had an artistic side in him but she never knew his talent was this profound. Tears welled up on her eyes.

It was a painting of girl floating on a river, dressed in white, surrounded by white lilies. The look on the girl’s face was so calm and serene, it sent shivers up Helen’s spine. The painting had this dreamy quality to it, like it was a page out of a fairy tale. It was so brilliantly executed. were clean and precise. Light and shade were depicted perfectly on the canvas.

“So, mom, you liked it?!” he had the widest smile.

“Are you kidding me? Of course I do!” she hugged him once more. “I didn’t know you could paint this well!”

“Neither did I!” young Gerald admitted. “ I just woke up and was so... inspired to paint!”

“W-what inspired you...to paint this?” she said, referring to the almost realistic depiction of a girl by the water.

“I had this dream, it was so vivid,” said the young Gerald. “It was that girl, floating on a river, she was slowly floating away, smiling at me...floating away until I could no longer see her. I tried to swim to her, but she was gone before I could reach her. Then I just woke up with that image of her floating away. The picture in my mind was so clear. So, I just painted it, like I was just meant to paint it...to paint her. ”

“It’s beautiful! I’m lost for words...”Helen beamed, as the young Gerald stood proudly by his work.

Ever since that day, Gerald pursued his artistic tendencies. He formally enrolled into an art school when he was in high school in the states. During his summers in the Philippines, he would do several paintings for his mom, but that first painting meant more to Helen the most. For one, it was unlike the others. That painting was the only realist or concrete style painting he ever did for her. Through the years, his style evolved more towards abstract, dabbling most of the time in surrealism and at times cubism. He said “still life” was too restricting for him. All the other paintings he did, she hung by the living room and in the study. However, this one she kept by his bedroom. Whenever she missed him and needed to be reminded of him, all Helen would do is enter his room and look at that painting and almost instantly, the image of a grinning, 12-year-old Gerald come rushing back.

And now the so called 'inspiration' had met the maker. Helen wondered how Gerald found Kim. She was very curious to say the least.
.
.
.
Helen’s heart almost failed the moment she saw her son by his hospital bed. The moment Helen realized her only son was now blind, all sense of hope or joy came crashing down the floor. She cried heavily as she hugged him.

Kim could not bear to watch the scene unfolding before her. Tears started to fall from her eyes too. By the way she hugged him, Kim could tell that Helen really loved her son. At the same time, while watching them, Kim craved for her mom’s hugs too. Seeing them together made her heart ache more. She longed for that kind of affection from her mother. It had been years since her mom had slipped into a coma and from that time on, she never ever had a hug back from her. Seeing Helen kiss Gerald, Kim strangely felt her mom’s kiss on her too. She slowly excused herself and head out of the door, leaving the two with the privacy they needed.

A few moments later, when Helen’s crying finally subsided, Gerald had told her everything --- from his fateful airplane ride down to his first encounter with the beautiful stranger.

“You mean to say, she just walked in and she said her name was Kim...oddly, like the one in your dream?” asked Helen, squeezing Gerald’s hand.

“Yes mom, I told you, she was like God sent!” Gerald exclaimed enthusiastically.

“I could not believe it! Of all places...why here?!” Helen said.

“I don’t know! It was as if somebody upstairs was playing a joke on me.”

“She is very sweet and lovely, son.”

“Tell me more about her, mom” Gerald said as his mom combed his hair. “What does she look like?”

Helen could not bring it upon herself to tell Gerald about Kim and his painting. Somehow Helen felt that it was not her place to tell him. She decided it was not the best time to tell him about her likeness to the painted image. She was hoping that in time, Gerald will discover the truth by himself.

“She is very pretty, chinita, long hair....”

“Do you like her?” Gerald asked bluntly.

Helen was stunned by Gerald’s candidness. She knows him to be very introspective and quiet. Seldom can you see him step out of his aloof demeanour.

“Yes, as a matter of fact, I do like her.”

“I’m glad,” Gerald said as he laid back to his bed. He let out a big sigh of relief, as if a big load has been taken off his back.

Helen smiled. She really knows her son inside out. She
knew Gerald was relieved that she approves of Kim. If there was any seal of approval that he sought the most, that was Helen’s.

“Are you sad, my son?” Helen asked.

“Why, mom...Why should I be sad?”

“Are you not sad that you just met her now?...Now that you are...” Helen could not even mention the dreadful word.

“Blind? No, mom. I am not sad. Nor am I regretful of the day I had the accident. I truly don’t regret it because it actually marked the day that I could finally see. How ironic it may be, but now that I’m blind, I can finally see the value and beauty of life. I can see now how special you and dad are to me. I can see now how special Kim is to me. There are a lot of things you take advantage when you can see, now that I can’t, everything seemed more beautiful. I am not remorseful...in fact I am thankful. It’s one of those things you can’t explain – the good out of nothing, the light at the end of the tunnel, the blessing in disguise. It’s all that.”

Helen was tearing up but she had to put up a brave front. She knows Gerald was drawing some strength from her. Helen was so proud of her son too. His positive attitude was amazing. She had always thought that she and him share a rather morose view on things. How wrong she was. Maybe she doesn’t really know him well enough after all.

“She is a special girl, mom...” Gerald interluded, breaking her train.

“How could you say that... when you just met her a few days ago?” Helen resented.

“I ask myself that same question, mom, every hour of the day these last few days. I don’t think there is any explanation to what I’m feeling. It’s all in my gut...it’s telling me this lady is more than just a coincidence. Some cosmic force is telling me she could be the...one!”

“Slow down, my son. Remember, things are much different in your situation now. You have more reason to temper yourself now, now that you’ve lost your value of inspection. This world of ours changes quickly, as we sleep it continues to change and evolve. It is not the same world we lived in thirty minutes ago. What you think may be good now may not be the same tomorrow. What if your gut feel is wrong? What if you change your mind about her when you get your vision back?”

“I won’t mom, I promise. I know she is IT...She just is...”

Helen sighed as she let her fingers tangle into his soft hair. She just wished her son was right. Her only concern was that Gerald may be rushing things too quickly for himself. She understands that his being blind somehow gave him this fatalistic kind of attitude, like nothing is going to go wrong. Helen genuinely feared for his son’s situation.
.
.
.
x0x0x0x0x
.
.
.
The days and nights at those two adjacent hospital rooms continued to be filled with love and concern the last few days. Kim would frequent her special friend’s room across the hall. With Kim's presence, Gerald grew stronger and more confident. The only remaining traces of the dreadful accident were the scars on both of his eyes, the ones that claimed his precious vision.

Helen finally felt some relief from his son’s plight. He did seem to be more happy and upbeat these days. She was glad to see that. She never even knew that her son had this sunny side in him. She was happy that this girl across the hall, seem to be bringing out the best in her son. As she would observe them from afar, they would always share jokes, ideas, even political views...they were the exact compliment of each other.

One day, the inevitable had to happen.

“Son, the doctor had given you the clean bill of health. He said we can check out anytime within the week,” Helen said.

As expected, Gerald face suddenly became despondent.

Helen knew what he was thinking.

“Dearie, you might have to tell her soon...” Helen quipped.

“ I know, mom...” Gerald said with a heavy sigh.

“I know she will be happy that you are finally well...” Helen added.

“If possible, I wish I’d be sick forever...”He said with a grain of dismay.

“Gerald, you are no longer 12 now, it’s not the end of the world. She can visit you every day at home or perhaps we can visit her here.”

“Can we get a caregiver, so that we will have somebody to help me get around?” Gerald said with a bit of a sparkle in his otherwise blank stare. A smile too started to appear.

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Helen answered.

Gerald grinned while facing the direction of the TV. Strangely, it was as if he was watching it. He slowly flicked the remote control, choosing different channels of video he can’t see. He just listens to them, still appreciating the medium despite the other sensory benefits it can’t give him.

Helen was somehow torn by her emotions. Seeing him smile makes her extremely happy. Yet, seeing him in that condition still makes her sad. Helen poignantly recalls the days when he was a teenager and he would rebel against her. During those times he was so preoccupied with his art and his rebellious ways that he didn’t seem to have time for girls like his contemporaries were. This was the first instance Helen saw her son be interested in a girl. Girls from the neighbourhood would come often to their house during the summers he was here, though he dated some of them, he never even mentioned of some kind of an interest on any of them. Not until now. Helen was not at all surprised that her son seemed to be giddy at the thought of Kim. If all would fall into place, she will be his first love.

“Mom, could I ask you a favour?” Gerald said out of the blue.

“What is it, son?”

“I need a set-up...” he said as he expertly manned the remote, flicking it to the music channel.
.
.
.
x0x0x0x0x
.
.
.
“Now, open your eyes!” Gerald said.

The vision that unfolded before Kim’s eyes was the most wonderful, visually jarring thing she has ever seen. Gerald’s hospital room was beautifully decorated with white balloons and white roses. By his hospital bed was a table set up for two. A bouquet of roses was gloriouslh sitting on a vase atop the table. A bottle of wine and a serving of food for the two of them were also prepared.

He was standing there, still in his unflattering hospital gown, yet he managed to put on a tuxedo jacket, complete with a pocket square. He was too cute to look at, especially with his very warm smile and his child like demeanour.

“What is this?” Kim said, blushing.

“Obviously it’s a date...a “blind” date.” He said with the most boyish smile on his face.

“Nice joke,” she said, taking a white rose, smelling it.

“Jokes are at my expense today.” He said, slowly guiding her to her seat, pulling out a chair for her. “You’re chair, my lady.”

“Thank you,” she responded with a smile.

“How’s my surprise. Did you like it?”

“I must admit, I'm impressed!” she declared. “How did you pull this off?”

“Well, my mom set it up, she asked permission from the hospital administrator himself...”

"Really?"

"Why? You think a blind man can't do all this?"

“You seem to be playing this blindness card very well mister!”

“I guess I am and I am taking full advantage of it every way I can.” He confessed. “Wait, there’s more...”

Kim beamed at his last remark. Right this moment, Kim was thankful that he was in fact blind, or else he would have seen how “kilig” she was.

Gerald took the remote control from his pocket. Upon command, soft music filled the room. It was Kyla’s Beautiful Days...
.

.
(Background Music:"I see beautiful days with you, I feel beautiful ways of loving you, You’ve touched my heart so deeply And I can’t thank God enough, For all the beautiful days with you...")
.
.
“Shall we dance?” Gerald asked, holding out his hand.

Kim took his hand. She stood up and slowly moved closer to him. It was such a poignant moment. Gerald slowly placed his arms around her, resting his chin on her shoulder. She placed her arms around his waist, and pressed her head unto his chest.

They moved in complete harmony to the soulful music. They danced and danced...silently...no words were needed...yet in silence, their hearts were singing, beating loudly at such proximity with one another.
.
.
("I feel beautiful ways of loving you, everything is just so wonderful. Every little thing is just so beautiful
When I spend it with you...")
.
.
“What are you doing?” she said softly.

He caressed her hair, her head, her face...memorizing every groove and indentation of her soft, lovely face.

“Memorizing your face...”

“Okay...” she said, contented.
.
.
("...You came along in an unexpected time...It was so divine knowing you are mine. It feels so right when I look into your eye. I never knew that love could make me feel this way. I can’t wait for the day when I can truly say...")
.
.
They continued their dancing...a languid ritual of two restless souls. They moved gracefully, holding each other extremely close. It was almost magic. Yet, all the magic in the world could not match the moment when these two eternal souls meet. Love flowed from one heart to another, creating a vacuum of all other emotions in between them, except for love and its many glorious forms. Love, longing, care, swirled from their eyes. They were really perfect for one another...perfect convergence of harmony and chemistry...like a love spell.
.
“Are you happy?” He asked.

“Yes...” She said, resting her head into his chest. His heart throbbed against her soft cheeks. She smiled at how his heart beats for her. She felt her heart, it was beating wildly too, and she knew it was beating for him and no one else...
.
.
("I’ve sang so many songs in stages, with thousands of them watching me. But you’re here with me now and I sing this song to you...To you, baby, just for you...")
.
.
.
Moments later, after sharing passionate embrace, they happily ate their dinner seated right next to each other on his bed. She was lovingly feeding him chocolate cake, their favorite.

“What’s the occasion by the way?” Kim asked once more. “It’s not your birthday, is it?”

“Nope, actually this is my last night here in the hospital,” Gerald divulged.

Kim’s head began to swirl. The shift in emotions took its toll. She held on bed for additional support. She had to put down the plate she was holding on the bedside table. Her hands were shaking.

“What? When?” Kim asked.

“Tomorrow, were leaving...” he lowered his head.

“Oh...is this goodbye then?” Kim dared to say the most dreaded word in any relationship...goodbye. She was straining to sound unfazed.

“No, I’d like to visit you here every day if it’s okay...with you”

“But you live in Fairview?”

“I don’t care, I have to ‘see’ you...”

“No pun intended, but technically you can’t...’see me’...you know” Kim reasoned.

Gerald placed a finger over her lip to hush her.

“Sshhhh...you’re ruining the moment...”

Slowly, he cupped her face, and slowly lowered his mouth to her. Kim’s heart raced even more. He was about to kiss her. Kim mind raced as well. She had never been this intimate with any guy before, this will be her first official kiss....

Or so she thought.

Suddenly, the door burst open...It was her dad, George.

“Kimmy, what are you doing?!”

They instantly let go.

“Uh, dad, this is my friend, Gerald!”

“I’ve been looking all over for you! Something happened to your mom!” George announced. He then rushed back out of the room leaving Kim in tears and in shock.

“Oh my God!!!” she exclaimed.

She looked back at Gerald, tears of guilt were on her face. He held out a hand to touch her face. She took his hand and clasped it with both of hers.

“Goodbye...”

That was all she said, then she walked away.