MISS COLORFUL - Chapter 3

Seven Incarnations
.
.
.

Back at the flower shop, things started to become gloomy.

“You did what?!” I said in utter shock. “Oh my God! Kimmy, please tell me you did not...”

Joross rushed over to the crying Kim and hugged her. “Sasha, she already said what she needed to say...so quit ing about it...”

I. of course, ignored Joross.

“But Kimmy, what has gotten into you? You know better than that!” I added.

Kim wailed even more. “Guys, what do you think I should do?”

“Now, she’s asking us what to do!” I said exasperatedly.

“Sasha, stop it. Can’t you see you’re not helping?” Joross said.

“Joross, this is me helping. Maybe shouting at her will get some sense into her thick head...” I explained. “Kimmy naman kasi...why are you so “gaga” over him?”

“Friend, I really don’t know why...”said Kim, after blowing her nose on a piece of tissue. “All I know is that when he speaks to me...I get lost in his eyes...and the next thing I know...I already agreed to be the chaperone for his date!”

“You could’ve taken it all back and said no!” I replied in frustration.

“But, I can’t do that!” Kim answered.

“Kimmy...you can’t or you won’t?” said Joross.

“I don’t know...”

“Oh my God, you really wanted to be his 'chimay' (maid/help) all along!” I answered in disbelief. “You know what? I’m done with this...I’ve had enough of this crap...”

“Sashie...” muttered Joross.

“Hay naku, Joross. Could you please go to SM Makati right now? AND...When you’re there, go straight to the customer service station. Ask them where you can buy some common sense. Here’s two hundred bucks. Will you puhleasseee....buy Kimmy a box of common sense?! And some Zonrox too...”

“Zonrox?” asked Kim.

“Just in case the common sense thingy don’t work...I’ll have you gargle Zonrox instead...perhaps until you vomit all of that Gerald Lagdameo bullsh*t from your system!”

“But Zonrox is bleach...it’s not emetic...it won’t make you vomit!” Kim said.

“Whatever!” I wailed.

Joross almost choked trying to contain his laughter.

“Sashie ...please naman, o!” Kim begged.

“Like I said, Kim...I don’t want to be a part of this...madness, anymore!”

“But, I really need your help, sis!”

“Help with what?” I asked.

“I don’t know what to wear tomorrow!” she answered.

Honestly, if I had something solid near my hand at that moment, I would have thrown it at her. But as I looked into her lovelorn eyes, I can’t bring myself to be angry at her. I merely shrugged my shoulders in frustration. Maybe it would be better for my unwrinkled face and excellent blood pressure to accept Kim just as she is...accept the fact that when it comes to love...she is no Einstein.

.
.
.

Later that night, Kim and Joross came back into the shop at about 7 pm. They had with them our dinner for that evening. Ordinarily, it was Kim and Joross’ job to scour all the Jollyjeeps (streetfood vendors) in Makati every night to look for our dinner. It had been customary for the three of us to eat our dinner here in the shop. We had set up a small kitchenette in one corner of the backroom, a place where we could chat and eat for hours...or perhaps until we close the store at 10 pm.

Past 7 p.m., only a few customers would ever come in and buy something, since most Makati people are on their way home, trying to avoid the evening rush hour. Like most nights, we have time to eat dinner peacefully, without disturbance and with ample time to gossip about the day’s events. That evening was no exception...or so we think!

“Hi, we’re back!” Kim announced. Well, since 4 p.m., she was back to her bubbly self. “Guess what we bought?”

“What?”

“Fishballs!” Kim announced.

“Ano? We’re eating fishballs for dinner?”

“Of course not! We have sinigang (pork soup), no! These fishballs are especially for you...kasi, you might still be angry at me! Kaya, here my friend, my ‘fish’ offering for you!”

Kim gingerly handed me the fishballs. She knew it was my favourite. She knew I have a weakness for this particular street food made of nothing but fried flour with fish flavour.

“Fish offering?!” I said scornfully. “Corny mo ha?”

“Uy... ‘high-blood’ pa siya!” bantered Joross.

“Of course not!” I protested.

“Friend...sorry na talaga. I didn’t mean to upset you...” Kim said.

“Sis, sorry na rin if shouted at you. But, I’m really not upset at you. I was just voicing out my concern earlier...” I apologized.

“Friend, I know you have my best intentions in mind. But, I think I have to go through this myself. IF I end up getting hurt...then fine! At least it was my choice...”

“Kim, sorry na rin if acted out like your mother. I shouldn’t have! I promise, I will never ever question your choices again. I will never ever involve myself in your love life ever again...”

“Promise?” Kim asked.

“You know I can’t resist you, sis!” I said, hugging her back.

“Yes, finally!” said Joross. “I was starting to get worried... I thought you guys will ruin your friendship over a guy!”

“That will never happen!” I said.

“No it won’t!” Kim replied.

“So, now that you both kissed and made up, can we eat our dinner now? I’m really, really hungry, guys!” said Joross.

“Joross, all you think about is your stomach!” said Kim.

“You better have that checked out! Maybe you have a colony of tapeworm in those intestines of yours...” I added.

Joross gave us a wry smile and proceeded to the backroom complaining, “First they’re about to scratch their faces out, now they’re ganging against me! Hmmph...girls!!!”

We followed him laughing.

.
.
.

At about a quarter before 10 p.m., our regular attendant Mimi, unceremoniously strode into the backroom with a shot of excitement on her face.

At that point, we were all ready to close and go home. We were just whiling the time away...talking about Kim’s disaster meeting earlier that day.

“Miss Kim...there is somebody outside who wants to see you!” announced Mimi.

Mimi is not the kind of person who easily gets unfazed by things. Most times she was as efficient and emotion-less as a robot. That is why we hired her a couple years back. She was our frontline against irate customers.

Seeing her in this shocked a state, it made me curious who it was that came to visit...

“Who is it?” Kim asked.

“I don’t know...but he is so guwapo!” Mimi said giddily.

The three of us looked at each other. Who could it be? Who could be visiting Kim that late in the evening? And why is Mimi about to pee in her pants in kilig?

Joross and I raced towards the door. We immediately peered beyond the bead curtain that separates the backroom from the showroom. Kimmy was left on the table still day-dreaming. Mimi immediately joined in. We were like three stonehead statues by the door. Mimi on top, me in the middle and Joross at the bottom.

At first, I was disappointed. He had his back against us so I could not immediately assess his face. Well, he did look tall and was dressed casually in dark denim pants and black sports jacket.

“He’s so cute...” said Mimi.

“Cute?” said Joross. “All I can see is his !”

“That’s cute too!” I added.

Mimi and I gave each other high fives. Joross made a face.

“Who is it?” Kim asked, more loudly than she should.

The guy turned around upon hearing Kim. The moment he revealed his face, there was a collective gasp in the room...including from Joross.

I could only begin to describe how good looking he was. He really, really was! ... Mimi described him as cute, boyish, and gorgeous...sort of a Tom Cruise circa 1986 kind of way. I definitely agreed.

“Gerald?” exclaimed Kim as she stepped out of the backroom. “What are you doing here?”

Joross, Mimi and I looked at each other. All three of us had the same question in mind. “That’s Gerald? Kim’s Gerald?!”

Gerald smiled brightly as Kim approached him.

“What are you doing here this late in the evening?” asked Kim. “Did you need anything for tomorrow?’

Gerald immediately pocketed his hands. He seemed nervous...and shy. He then smiled at Kim.

Kim suddenly noticed that he was a bit uneasy.

“What is it?” Kim said.

He looked at the three of us, smiled...then back at Kim.

“Uhhh...the floating heads are bothering me...” Gerald whispered at Kim.

“Ooohhh, that...” Kim replied.

Kim then wheeled around her toes and looked sharply at us. She looked like she was about to murder us.

Joross then managed to say something dumb, “Don’t worry about us...you two go on...we’ll just be here...listening...”

Kim then stomped her feet and placed her fists on her waist.

“Oh, you guys need to talk privately?” I said cluelessly.

Kim looked like she was about to cry. Her face was so genuinely funny. Imagine the feeling of crying and being angry at the same time! Gerald, behind her, was as amused as ever.

Deciding to get Kim out of her misery, I dragged my head out of the totem pole and pulled aside Mimi and Joross by their collars.

“Ano ba? You’re so kill joy!” said Mimi.

“Can’t you see we’re snooping in, party pooper!” Joross said.

“Guys, there’s a better place to snoop from. Let’s go by the office and listen from there. They probably won’t see us if we crawl on the floor...” I suggested.

“Good idea!” said Mimi.

Of course, we did just that. The gossip we were to get from it was much too juicy to pass up. A few fast seconds later, all three of us, were on our knees in the adjacent office and were pressing our ears by the glass wall. We were there just in time to hear them talk.

“So, did you need anything from me?” said Kim.

“No, I just came by to say hi...” he said.

“You mean to say...you came here at 10 in the evening just to say hi?” asked Kim, slightly light-headed from all the giddiness she was feeling.

“Pretty much, I guess...” he answered.

At that point, Gerald gave Kim a second look --- a more thorough one that. He was curious with what he felt earlier. That actually was his main reason from coming here. When he hugged in his office that afternoon, Gerald felt the need to see her once more. His heart was fluttering like crazy though he doesn’t know why.

Kim was pretty for sure, Gerald decided, in an understated kind of way. He knows how wacky she dresses sometimes but looking at her now closely, all the in-your-face colourful personality she has been showing, seemed to be like a facade. But now, she seemed...normal. He found looking at her so mysteriously engaging.

Kim suddenly blushed from his piercing gaze.

“Are you sure that’s all you came here for?” Kim repeated.

“Actually Kim...I came here to talk to you...about what we discussed earlier in the office...”

“Yes, what about it?”

“I just want to ask you once more... I mean, I wanted to make sure...that it is perfectly okay with you...to go on a date with me?”

“Yes of course...why shouldn’t it be?”

“I know I'm asking much from you, Kim...but Triple A and her posse will surely be there! I really need someone in my corner...”

“You already explained that to me...and I agreed to it...so it’s a done deal!”

“Are you sure?”

“Let’s shake on it!” Kim suggested.

Kim extended her hand to him. Gerald immediately took her hand and shook it. He was so surprised of the apparent softness of her hands! Princesses’ hands...that’s what he thought he'll call her from now on.

“So, I’ll be your secretary tomorrow!” said Kim. “Gerald, wait! What kind of secretary am I? I mean, what kind of assistant do you envision me to be...so that I can choose the proper attire to wear for tomorrow...”

Gerald paused for a minute to think.

“I guess you have to wear a business suit and probably bring a briefcase as props! Or carry an organizer or something like that...I’ll leave it up to you...”

“Okay, I’ll think of something...” Kim muttered.

“By the way...” Gerald said softly. “Kim...”

Kim immediately turned her attention back to his alluring face. Looking into his eyes, Kim once again lost herself in her wayward thoughts.

“What is it?” Kim said,as the butterflies in her stomach were screaming.

“I don’t mean to sound too demanding, but Kim...”

“Oh, don’t worry about me...” Kim said coyly. In her mind, scenes from their future marriage have been playing endlessly. “Don't be shy...just say it...”

“I hope you won’t mind...”

“No, I won’t...” Kim added prematurely.

“I hope you won’t mind bringing tomorrow those carnations you talked about earlier...” Gerald said. “I think Angel will love it...”

Kim was in total shock. Her shoulders drooped instantly.

Gerald then noticed that Kim was a bit taken aback...like what he said wasn’t what she wanted to hear.

“Kim, are you okay?”

“I’m okay...just a bit tired already!” Kim lied.

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t realize I was keeping you up...” Gerald apologized. “I’d better go...”

Kim nodded her head.

Gerald then walked towards the door. “So, are we on for tomorrow?”

Kim nodded once more, this time with a rather defeated smile. “Yes, boss!”

“Thanks, Kim! You’re an angel!” Gerald said smiling.

Then, he left out of the door.

Kim immediately slumped on one of the chairs. All three of us then came out of our hiding places. Kim wasn’t altogether surprised that we had listened in.

“Awww, Kim, you’re an angel!” echoed Joross.

“That’s the problem, Joross!” Kim said wryly. “I’m the wrong...angel!”

“Kimmy, don’t worry about that Angel Alonzo girl. We’ll decimate her, you’ll see. We will use your innate secretarial beauty to unleash that inner beast in Gerald Lagdameo...” I declared with much spectacle.

“Friend, you’re so ma-drama already!” Kim said.

I laughed and so did Joross and Mimi.

“By the way, Kim...” I said shyly. “Why didn’t you say he is so good looking?”

“I did...many times!”

Joross nodded in agreement. “Yes, she did. You just didn’t want to believe her, Sasha!”

“Shut up, Joross! If I know...he’s your man-crush!” I revealed.

Joross immediately frowned at me. “No way!”

“I saw your face earlier when he entered the shop. It was like this....” I said teasingly, trying to imitate his shocked faced earlier.

“Sashie, I’m gonna shut up now!” said Joross.

Kim, Mimi and I laughed heartily.

A few minutes later, as we closed the doors to the shop...

“Kim, now I understand why you are head over heels in love with him!” I said.

“See...I told you he is yummy...”

“Yes...he’s like MacGerger...” quipped Mimi.

The rest of us laughed at Mimi’s quick wit.

"I now allow you to act crazy, Kim...you have every reason to. In fact, I'm gonna help you even!" I said, as we walked the almost empty Makati streets.

"Oh my God, is that true, sis?" Kim said in glee.

"I'll be your fairy God sister!"

"That's so gay!" Joross said, laughing like a hyena.

“But, Sash...I still don’t know what to wear tomorrow!”

“Don’t worry Kim, I’ll take care of everything!” I said, laughing deviously. (Of course, I had plans!)

“Really, Sash?!” she said.

“My darling friend, trust me. Once I’m done dressing you up...” I declared. “that Angel Alonzo will be nothing but...fashion roadkill...”

“Promise...?” Kim asked.

“I promise you, sister dear...with my expertise, Gerald Lagdameo will not look at you the same way ever again!”

.
.
.
.

Just a short chap, peeps. I promise you the next chapter is going to be crazy fun! I'm laughing out loud right now as I am writing it. I'll edit this tomorrow...I'm going to sleep now....reg