THE HAPPY PIE - Finale (part 1)

Seven Incarnations
THE HAPPY PIE - FINALE

.
.
.

It was already the afternoon of December 24, 2008.

Kim was fidgeting incessantly. Bridal jitters, she presumed. Over the course of the last ten days, Kim tried to convince herself that she was making the right decision. But she could not. Every time she closes her eyes, Gerald’s face comes to her mind. And it really gets harder each day. At that point, she really needed somebody to talk to. Unfortunately, she had no close showbiz friend except for Marge who is also busy rushing to and fro, facilitating the influx of the wedding guests.

Despite the short prep time, everyone she knew managed to turn up at her wedding. Now, it has turned into a full blown circus. Press reporters and paparazzi are on the hunt for her. She could even see flash bulbs exploding outside her fully draped window. Her hotel room was packed with a network crew, shooting clips for an upcoming network special for their wedding. First rate make-up and hair artists are finishing up on her overall look, demanding her full attention.

She was also being interviewed by Roy Abunda, AVS CVN’s main talk show host, for their TV special.

“Kimmy, last two questions...” Roy said. “Our countrymen, especially your fans, would definitely want to know why you and Jake had to rush this wedding. Are you by any chance pregnant?”

“NO, Tito Roy, I am definitely not pregnant,” Kim cleared up. “Jake and I just felt that this was the right time for it. I ever since wanted to be married on the 24th of December. In that way, my anniversary will be on Christmas eve. It’s like having an extended holiday each December from here on out.”

“Wow, that is nice!” Roy said. “But, why this December? Why not next year?”

“Because he might change his mind...”Kim said meaningfully, trying to laugh about it.

“Good answer, iha! Well Kimmy, congratulations and best wishes from the VUZZ.”

“Thank you, Tito Roy. I hope to see you downstairs. Hope you would enjoy...the SHOW.” Kim said.

“I will for sure, thanks Kimmy. By the way, you’re very pretty today. I’m sure Jake will have a heart attack when he sees you looking like that!”

“That was the intention, Tito Roy!” Kim said bluntly. In her mind, she wished it would happen.

Roy Abunda kissed her once more before leaving for downstairs.

Kim let out a sigh. She surveyed her room. It was still on full chaos mode. Her off-the-rack Vera Wang gown was on the bed, still waiting for her to put on. One of the camera guy almost stepped on the train, much to Kim`s dismay. There were just so much people in the room, it made her dizzy. The superfluous bodies, plus the lights, contributed to the unwelcome heat in the room. She was starting to sweat. More than that, she was on the brink of insanity!

“Marge! Come here, quick!” Kim shouted.
Marge, her personal assistant readily came up to her.

“Where’s my mom?” Kim asked.

“Miss Kimmy, your mom and dad are already downstairs. Most of the entourage are here too. We are almost ready to go. They’re just doing the final shots for the special.”

“Marge, could you please get all these people out of my room. I need a moment alone.”

“Yes, maam. I’ll get them out.”

“Thanks, Marge!”

Marge immediately herded all the other extraneous people out of the room. The production assistants rushed to get her into her wedding gown before getting out.

A few precious moments later, she was all alone.

Kim looked at herself at the mirror. The reflection she saw was that of a perfect celebrity bride. Her intricate vintage silk gown fitted her perfectly. It was tailored in such a way that the bodice fit her slender body to a tee. IF she breathed deeply, she was afraid that the seams might burst. It was that tight. However, it made her look so fabulous. Kim observed though that she looked older, more mature than her actual age. The weight of all the stress and pressure shows on her face. There is this worried look in her eye that she just can’t shake off. She can’t help but think that this was the day she had imagined since she was small. Her dress was perfect. Her make-up was perfect. If only the groom was perfect.

Tears started to fall from her eyes.

.
.
.

Waiting outside of the grand ballroom was the groom to be. Jake had his fake grin permanently plastered to his face. His sleek, dark Armani suit clamoured much attention. His hair was gelled and combed back perfectly. Yet, he was nervously pacing the foot of the grand staircase of the hotel, waiting for Kim to come down from her room.

Guests started to pile out of the hotel and into the elegantly decorated hotel grounds. The hotel they booked in had this wide garden area overlooking the sea. The area was enough to sit the 300 special guests, most of whom are the big names of the much related worlds of showbiz and politics. Senators mingled with directors and big-time producers. Co-actors flirted with one another, and for the right price, flirted with Congressmen too.
Security was the biggest issue. Jake hired a security agency to man the proceeding. With all the big-wigs present, Jake made their security the priority. Every other pergola post had a big, burly security guy manning the perimeter. Any moment that an uninvited paparazzi threatens to enter, they were specifically ordered to use their taser guns to stun them. Jake called his god father, the president, to arrange a 10 km square no fly zone to protect them from airparazzis. Jake was taking extra care that nobody will just slip by and steal his bride.

The theme for the wedding was English garden. In the middle of the grounds was an ornate wedding arch with white English roses as adornments. Chairs on each side of the long aisle, were ornately decorated with silk ribbons and white lilies. A white vinyl carpet lined the center aisle. Butterflies were artificially transplanted to add color to the garden.

On each side of the grounds, the pre-screened press photographers lined the area, pushing and grinding with each other, fighting out the places with the best angle.

.
.
.
.

Back to the hotel, the groom felt ill at ease. He kept checking his watch. He picked up his phone and dialled a number.

“Marge, what’s taking her so long?” Jake asked impatiently.

“Mr. Jake, Ms. Kimmy was just having an emotional moment. She said she’ll be out in a second,” explained Marge on the other line.

“Marge, I specifically asked you to not leave her alone. What if she gets cold feet?”

“Frankly, boss, if she had cold feet, she wouldn’t even be here today. Why don’t you just calm yourself down, and she will be down in a few minutes. She is not going anywhere.”

“Sorry, Marge. I just wanted to be sure...”

Marge cut off her phone, cursing inwardly. She can’t stand him and his arrogant . He acts around as if he was her boss too, and he and Kim are not even married yet!

.
.
.

Meanwhile, Jake was still worried downstairs. He can’t shake off the feeling that things are not as it should be. He had a bad feeling at the pit of his stomach that he doesn’t quite know where it’s coming from. All he knows was that the sooner that this wedding is done, the better.

Jake was about to make another call to Marge when all of a sudden Kim’s mom, Gina, pulled her by the arm.

“Iho, I’m afraid we have some bad news.” Gina said.

“What is it...mom?” Jake said gingerly.

“Father James can’t make it today. He had this severe bout of diarrhea. So, he sent his friend Father Charles to do the ceremony this morning!”

Gina pulled Jake towards the direction of the waiting priest.

“Father Charles, this is the groom. My future son-in-law, Jake.”

Jake smiled proudly at the introduction.

Father Charles was this big hulking priest with a jolly round face. His stomach was so big, it could rival that of any pregnant woman on her third trimester. He had this jolly disposition that Jake found comforting right away.

“Father Charles, thank you for coming here on such short notice! We truly appreciate it...” Jake said as he shook the priest’s hand.

“No trouble at all, son. I was just sitting around the convent watching my afternoon shows when I got...a call. God does work in mysterious ways, you really never know when your ‘call’ is going to be... ha ha ha,” laughed the jolly old priest.

Father Charles’ laugh was so hollow that, to Jake, it sounded almost like Santa’s.

“Well Father, thank you so much for coming. But, if you don’t mind, I’ll leave you here with Mommy Gina. I’ll just be going upstairs to check up on my bride...”

“Wait , Jake!” Gina called back the impatient lad. “You’re not allowed to see the bride before the wedding.”

“But Tita, today is our wedding!”

“Still, it’s bad luck, iho!” Gina explained. “You have to wait at the altar to see her!”

Jake shook his head and ignored her warning. Father Charles , however, held unto Jake’s hand as he turned around.

“Son, the reason I want to talk to you was that I wanted to speak to your fiancée alone before we had the ceremonies...” said Father Charles.

“What for, Father?” Jake asked.

“Well, son, it’s customary for the bride to do a confession before she goes into marriage. We have to ensure that she is both spirituality and emotionally cleansed going into such an important union.”

“Is that necessary, Father?” Jake queried.

“Yes Jake, it’s important. I don’t think Kimmy even had time to go to confession in the last few days! Everyone had been so crazy busy, I think we forgot all about it!” Gina butted in.

“See, my son, it’s a good thing I am here...” said Father Charles.

“Well, I suppose we could push the program a little bit longer. At least you can check up on her too. She did have a lot of things in her mind coming into this, maybe you could help free her from all her doubts and fears!”

“That I shall do, my son! I promise,” said Father Charles, laughing heavily as he stepped into the elevators. “What room is it?”

“20th floor, room 2046!” Gina and Jake chorused.

.
.
.

Back in the room upstairs, Kimmy dampened her teary eyes with her handkerchief. She had to be in her bravest today. She repeatedly brainwashed her own mind about the merits of marrying Jake. She thought of the fact that Jake stood up for her in the last four years. He had been there during her hard times. He had always been very supportive to her. His loyalty was beyond reproach. He never was rumoured to have had any flings. However, Kim’s heart refused to listen. It only beats for one person, the talented chef!

Kim’s thoughts were cut off by a knock on the door. It was Marge, ushering in Father Charles.

“Kimmy, this is Father Charles. He was sent here by your mom to do your confession.”

“Come in, Father...”

Father Charles entered the room. The figure he saw was the most beautiful young lady he ever saw. He could not help but stare at her for a good few minutes.

“Father Charles...I thought we are going to have Father James today?” Kim asked.

“Father James is indisposed. He sent me here to take over,” explained Father Charles.

“Ahhh, okay....Well, I’m ready father...” Kimmy said.

“Huh?” Father Charles said blankly.

“For my confession...?” reminded Kimmy.

“Oh, that!” said the old priest, slapping his forehead, laughing at himself. “Forgive me, my child, my memory is no longer very reliable. “

Father Charles pulled out a chair and directed Kim to the foot of the bed. They are now face to face.

“Okay, go ahead shoot!” said Father Charles.

“Are we not going to pray first?” said Kim.

“Oh yes, we should...sorry about that,” Father Charles held Kimmy by the forehead. “Let us both pray silently for our intentions...amen.”

Kim eyed him strangely. She closed her eyes for a silent prayer.

“Now, tell me your sins, my child.” Father Charles announced almost immediately. “Come on, hurry on, we don’t have so much time!”

Kim flashed him a curious glance. He did seem strange.

“Uhhmm, father, I think I had several impure thoughts in the last few days...”

“Hmmm...impure thoughts, eh? To whom? Your husband or another man?!”

“On a lot of things, father, “ replied Kim, slightly vexed.

“Care to elaborate?” pried the priest.

“Well, thoughts about backing out of this marriage came to my mind several times...”

“Aha!” declared Father Charles, “you should definitely reconsider marrying this man!”

“Excuse me, Father.... why should I?” asked Kim, raising an eyebrow.

“OH! Forgive me, my child,” said the priest. “I’m just a bit jumpy today. I’ve had more than my fair share of coffee this morning. Anyway, what I wanted to come here for is to clear your mind of any fears you might have in this marriage. I was sent here to help you...make up your mind.”

“But, I’ve already made up my mind, father!”

“Really, my dear? You don’t sound convinced!”

“But I am, father! Isn’t it just normal for brides to have cold feet before the wedding?”

“Of course not!” the priest instantly declared. Father Charles was a bit shocked by his own reaction. He toned it down a bit and said, “Sorry my, child. Actually, I don’t know the feeling...how would I know about the feeling of getting married, right? Of course, I’ve never been married myself, ha ha ha!”

Kim felt uneasy about this priest. As jolly as he may be, something about him seems wrong. Kim immediately felt guarded. She was seriously thinking that maybe he was a masquerading member of the press. Kim knows the lengths those people can go to get an exclusive. She just didn’t trust him enough to reveal her innermost secrets.

“Is there anything else you want to confess, my child?”

“Nothing more, father...”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m pretty sure.”

“Are you not thinking that this marriage is wrong for you? Are you not thinking of another fellow aside from your fiancé? Are you feeling coerced into this union?” the priest asked in succession.

“Why would I think those thoughts, father?! I am here to marry Jake, the man I truly...respect!” Kim said. She can’t bring it to herself to say ‘love.’

“Very well, my child. That will be it for me. You passed the test of purity!” said father Charles, standing up. “You are now, ready to be married.”

“Father, what about my penance?”

“Oh yes, that!”

Father Charles lumbered his way back to the bride. “You will be absolved of your sins, amen!”

“But, father...” Kimmy protested.

“See you downstairs, my child. I have my sermon to prepare...Uhmmm, good luck!”

“Father wait...” Kim called on.

Father Charles, hurriedly walked towards the door. Just as he was about to go out, he looked back at Kim.

He slapped his forehead and said, “I almost forgot, I have a present for you!”

He took out of his priestly garment, a brightly wrapped gift.

“Thank you, father” said Kimmy, flabbergasted. “You didn’t have to do this...I don’t know what to say...”

“Don’t worry,” said the jolly priest. “I give gifts to all the girls I married...I mean the ones I preside over...uhmm in marriage...you know what I mean...I hope that this will give you guidance during the rough times...remember, my dear, you always have a choice in this!”

Kim found his last few words rather odd.

“Thanks again, Father Charles!” Kim said, feeling much lighter. “What is this?”

The imposing priest was already gone...

Kim was left in the room with a mysterious gift in hand. With quivering hands she slowly unwrapped the present. As the last of the wrapping paper fell to the floor, Kim’s hand shook so hard, the present fell to the floor.

It was a black book...a journal. On the cover was a poem, The Raven, by Edgar Allan Poe. Memories of childhood came rushing back to her mind. Her eyes focused on the one word etched in gold --- EMBER.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.