BABY - Chapter Two

Seven Incarnations
.
Chapter Two
"The Game"
.
.
.
Dave, the cat smelled the nervous excitement in his mistress’ heart.

From the rotting gutter where he perched, he climbs down via the drain pipe with utter ease. He wiggled his nose and whiffed the hum of youthful hormones the two girls exuded.

He decides to follow Kim and Kitkat as the two travelled along the narrow streets of Sitio Verona. Perhaps, their rather hasty exit made the cat curious of what his mistress’ plans are.

The creature had to squirm his way past the countless unruly children that seemed to inhabit the disorderly neighbourhood. These days, these grimy little kids seem to outnumber the usual rodents of the area, much to Dave's disgust. Most of these young kids are not so kind to cats like him either. Hence, Dave avoids them like disease.

After a couple blocks, a well-lighted arena sprung into view. A basketball court of gargantuan proportions held Dave's breath. A dozen, humungous halogen lamps gave the spacious basketball court unbelievable brightness and blistering energy.

Kim and Kitkat arrived at the venue of the basketball championships expecting some excitement. However, what they saw really surprised them. Even from a few feet away, as they hear the heavy growl of the crowd, the two can already feel the intensity of the match. Add to that, the make-shift arena was jam packed with people and the mood was fever pitch. People of various ages converged on that 30 by 40 feet space, shouting and heckling at the players doing their warm-up shoot arounds.

Kim and Kitkat settled in the middle part of the court,
just behind their player's benches. From there, they could smell the sweat coming from a hundred shirtless men around them. But they didn’t mind that, it was just too exciting.

Kim was never allowed to go out during nighttime until now. It was even a minor miracle for her father Andres to give her permission to watch the game tonight. But now that she was out, Kim wanted to relish every pulsating moment of it.

Dave, meanwhile, settled himself under the wooden bleachers. From there he could see the game transpire in between the legs of the players. Nobody could see him from there. The cat secured himself the best seat in the house. He purred with pride at himself. For a cat, it was as high-def as it could get.

Kim and Kitkat waved to their cousins and their teammates as the players routinely went to the basket for a shot.

“Oh my gosh, I hope they win...” Kim said nervously.

“OH, they should...they have Barty with them...” Kitkat replied as she waved back at the other players.

“Go, go Barty!!!” screamed Kim from the sidelines.

Barty Capulong is the son of Andres’ cousin Max. He is this bulky young fellow with menacing facial hair and body piercings. His hair reeked of cheap grease and his bulging, muscled guns were the stuff of legends in their town. People call him the “Refrigerator” with good reason. He is Kitkat’s age and has been the veteran of the basketball circuit for many years. If they win tonight, Barty and the Ilocanos will celebrate three years of consecutive championship. The only other time they have lost the championship were from the Ilonggos of District 2, which were their opponents now.

It was the mother of all championships.

The inter-league basketball has finally reached its pinnacle. All summer long, the 10 districts of Tondo battled for hoop supremacy. It was now down to the two remaining teams that survived the eliminations. It was the championship game, and they were down to the two of the most talented teams this year...the District 1 Stallions versus the District 2 Slashers.

The District 1 Stallions are composed of the Ilocanos and mostly Capulong family members. They boast of the behemoth Barty as their star player. The District 2 Slashers are mostly Ilonggos . They are a bit smaller in size than most of the Stallion players, but they more than make up their weakness in height with their wily and agile players. One of them is Marky Montanez...a diminutive guard with a potty mouth that could shame any decent rapper.

“Look at that guy from the other team,” Kitkat scattily said as she watched Marky go for a lay-up on the other end. “He is sooo cute...and that other guy too...and that one also...”

“Kitkat...they are our cousins’ rivals...” Kim replied.

“So what...I’m just admiring them for their looks...that is why I like watching these basketball games, there are lots of yummy men...”

“Cuzz, we are here for the game...not for the men...” Kim said as she rolled her eyes. She kept her attention to her team, the Stallions.

“There is nothing wrong with looking, “ justified Kitkat. “The Stallions are still my team...even if most of them, for the love God, are ugly...”

Kim could not help but laugh, much to the consternation of the old ladies beside them. They must have overheard Kitkat commenting about their sons.

.
.
.

The whole Tondo has been waiting for this match-up. Bets were thrown left and right. Not only was the championship at stake on this game...pride between families was at stake too. The latter, proved to be more of the driving force than the former.

The town’s bigwigs were there to witness the event too. The different baranggay captains of Tondo and a couple congressmen were present as well (some, just for exposure as the local elections are looming in). Baranggay Tanods were also seen guarding the sidelines, perhaps anticipating the rowdy nature of the game.

At that point, Kim and Kitkat were on their feet and so was the crowd. The game was about to start. A local commentator was even hired to annotate the game.

The referee gathered both teams in the center court for the tip-off. Barty was the anointed center for the Stallions while a lanky fellow from the other team stood across him. The referee tossed the ball up into the air, Barty was quick to tap it to his teammate. The other team was slow to react. A few breathless seconds later, the Stallions drove easily to the basket.

“Barty Capulong scores the first basket for the stallions!” screamed the commentator. “It’s now two-zero, district I.”

The largely partisan crowds exploded for their team. Kim and Kitkat shrieked endlessly.

Hairs from Dave the cat’s back stood up from the explosive burst of energy that emanated from the masses. The makeshift bleachers shook uncontrollably.

Soon enough the game became a one-way affair. Midway through the first quarter, the Stallions were ahead fourteen to six. The opposing team’s coach was the first to call time out.

“Boys...I need to see defense...” screamed the Slashers' coach, Jose.

“No, coach...we need more firepower...” huffed Marky.

“Just follow what I say...we need to stay close to these guys!” Jose said. “I don’t want to see anymore easy lay-ups. We need to rough it up a little bit...”

“Yes, coach...” Marky and the team chorused.

The rest of the first quarter became a rowdy affair. Elbows and shoves were thrown with regularity. Several limp bodies hit the cement floor at almost every Stallion possession.

These has further incensed the crowd. Boos were heard every time the Slashers were in possession of the ball.

However, with Marky’s brilliant play, the other team closed in by the start of the second quarter.

But, Barty himself refused to be denied. He bullied every other defenseman thrown at him. His size and heft proved to be too much for the other team. Soon enough, they began to pull away.

The half-time whistle was blown eventually for the much-needed respite. At that point, the Stallions were ahead by fourteen points.

“Coach...we are getting creamed...” Marky said.

“Yes we are...and we are not doing something about it...” claimed coach Jose.

“We need Gerald, coach...” Marky suggested.

“Where is that cousin of yours by the way?”

“He said he’ll be here...”

“And where is he now?” Coach Jose impatiently asked.

“I think I know where he is...I believe he is doing Rosario...” Marky said.

“What? Why is he praying at this time when we need him here in the basketball court...”

Several of Jose’s teammates gave each other meaningful looks. Some of them chortled incessantly.

“Coach, you don’t understand...” replied Marky as he iced his knee. “I said he is ‘doing’ Rosario...”

The coach scratched his head. He then called out their bench player and another cousin of Gerald named Francis.

“Go and find your cousin Gerald right now,” ordered coach Jose. “You might find him at my house. If you find him there, tell him if he didn’t get his over here now, he won’t ever see an inch of my granddaughter Rosario ever again, understood?”

“Yes, coach...”

“Run as fast as you can...” coach Jose warned him.

The young player complied. He was gone before they could hold him back.

.
.
.

From across the canals that divided the districts, a young man was about to initiate another girl to womanhood.

“Gerald, I don’t want to do this...” said Rosario.

“Why not? I’m your boyfriend, right?” said Gerald as he planted a kiss on Rosario’s neck.

They were in her room and on her bed. A worn out foam was loosely covering a rattan bedframe. It creaked at the slightest of movements. Under normal circumstances, Gerald would have preferred a more romantic setting. But for now, this will do.

“I can’t do this...I’m afraid...” Rosario begged as she tried to pry Gerald off her neck. But, the young man was more insistent.

“What is there to be afraid of?”

“I don’t know if I’m ready yet...I’m only 17....”

“So what...I’m only 18 too...” Gerald said.

“This may not be the right time for us...to do it...” begged Rosario.

“Can’t you see that this is the most perfect timing?” explained Gerald. “Your Lolo is at the basketball game. Your mom and dad are out selling food at the arena. This is the best time to explore our feelings for each other...”

“I don’t know if I can, Ge...”

Gerald Montanez grew a bit more impatient. Other girls didn’t resist as much as this one.

“Do you love me or not?” Gerald said as an ultimatum.

“Gerald...”

“I don’t have much time,” Gerald demanded as he looked at his wristwatch. Time has gone by quick. “I need to be at the game, Rosario...do you love me or not?!”

“I do...” she finally said.

“Then, take off your clothes...quick!” ordered Gerald.

The teenager loosely followed his bidding. IN his haste, Gerald even helped her undress. Now she is down to her bras and . Gerald then undressed himself. He immediately threw his basketball jersey by the monoblock chair on one corner.

Gerald, with a sinister smile, pounced on his willing victim. He kissed her on the cheek and the neck as the young lady writhed in pleasure. He expertly unhooked her bra with his left hand. The girl gave a moment protestation but Gerald covered with his hand.

“Be quiet...don’t forget that you Lola is asleep downstairs...” Gerald warned her.

Suddenly, they heard a shout from outside the window.

“Gerald!!! Gerald!!!”

“What the....” Gerald cursed as he put on his shirt hastily. “Wait here, I’m going to sort this out...”

HE then quickly went and opened Rosario’s bedroom window and looked down below to see who the intruder was.

“Francis, what the heck are you doing here?” Gerald screamed silently.

“Coach Jose sent me here...”

“Tell coach I’ll be right there...”

“Will you be long?” asked Francis cluelessly.

Gerald looked back at the nervous girl on her bed.

“I need five more minutes...!”

“But, coach said not to come back without you...”

“Why...are we losing bad?”

“Yes, he said we really need you...and that if you don’t come right away, he won’t ever let you see Rosario again...”

Gerald quickly pondered, “What’s the score?”

“Were down 44 to 30 at half time....”

“Oh ...” Gerald cursed.

He looked back at the impressionable young lady by the bed. From where he was standing, Gerald could see the impatience in her face.

However, he had a decision to make. Deep in his heart, Gerald knew what he was supposed to do.

“Sorry baby, we have to do this some other time...” said Gerald as he climbed down from her window.

“Wait, where are you going?” screamed Rosario.

Gerald didn’t mind her. There will be other girls. He expertly launched himself from the galvanized iron roof and unto the ground.

He then ran with Francis towards the arena. He heard Rosario screeched from the window, “Gerald, you bastard...come back! If you don’t come back this very minute I will not speak to you ever again!”

As they were running Francis asked him a pretty lame question, “Gosh, Gerald, you’re actually giving up for a game?”

“No, Francis...I almost gave up a championship game for ...how stupid of me...” chuckled Gerald as he lightly hit his cousin in the head.
.
.
.

Back at the arena, despite Mark and his teammates' efforts, they were still down twelve midway into the third quarter.

IT was at that time that Gerald showed up, huffing and puffing from their run.

“Coach...I’m here...” announced Gerald.

“Where the have you been?” exclaimed Coach Jose.

“It’s funny that you said that, coach...” Gerald chuckled.

His teammates gave each other high fives as their clueless coach looked on.

“Nice to have you back, cuzz...” said Mark as he gave
Gerald a manly hug.

“Tonton, you’re out...Gerald you’re in...” coach Jose announced.

Gerald immediately reported to the scorer’s table for the substitution.

.
.
.

Over at the other side of the court, Kim and Kitkat were relishing their teams imminent victory. They cheered with the crowd while they were waiting for the resumption of the game.

“And now, we have a new player for the Slashers...” announced the raspy commentator. “Wearing number eight, Gerald Montanez...”

Kim immediately looked on...she knew the name. Her jaw drops.

The commentator gave a brief backgrounder, “Gerald Montanez, the Slasher’s secret weapon throughout this year’s competition will now be coming in to replace Tonton Montinola, who himself has played a superb game for District 2...”

Kim’s eyes followed the young fellow as he entered the court with much fanfare. The crowds hated him. Perhaps, because they knew he was a threat to the Stallion's lead...

And a threat he was...

Upon his entry, Gerald scored the next eight points for the Slashers. On the defensive end, he too was able to produce a couple of steals that lead to more points for District 2. One could feel the shift of the momentum to the other side. The bias crowd was altogether silent...stunned.

Kim was amazed with what she was seeing. She couldn’t believe her eyes that it was him.

“He’s really good...” Kim said absent-mindedly as Gerald made a three-point shot.

“Who? That Gerald guy?” asked Kitkat.

“Yes...do you know him...”

“As a matter of fact, I do...my friends on the other side said he’s a really good kid.” Kitkat revealed.

“Friends from the other side?”

“Yes, friends that went to school with him...” said Kitkat. “They said, this Gerald kid is always on the dean’s list at the same time on the basketball varsity. “

“Wow...” Kim muttered as Gerald single-handedly dismantled the other team’s offense. “I didn’t realize he’d grow up to be this...way...”

“What way?” Kitkat asked. “Wait, cuzz, do you know this kid?”

“As a matter of fact, I do...we met once...”

“When?”

“I’ll tell you after the game...” Kim replied.

In fact, Kim didn’t want Kitkat to disturb her quiet assessment of Gerald. He had now grown into quite the looker that he is now. His young muscles rippled gently on his exposed arms. His youthful, lithe body belies the upper body strength he possesses. And his face is gentle and innocent-looking...a face of a cherub, Kim thought. Yet there were fire in his eyes. His competitive spirit emanated from his very core.

Kim could feel her heart race at his every move. It was as if, they share the same frequency of heartbeats. Gerald breathed deeply as she did. Even from afar, Kim thought they had a connection.

The referee finally blew out his whistle. It was the end of the third quarter. The score was tied, 68 all. One more quarter was left to play. The crowd was ultra tense.

Kim, however, was tense in a different way. Seeing how Gerald looked now was strangely disconcerting her...But Kim reckoned in an anxious-ridden, yet wonderful way.

She immediately recalled the first time she has set her eyes on him.

.
.
.
,
,
,
,

May 1, 2009

next chap please

-------->>>>