THE HAPPY PIE - Finale (part 2)

Seven Incarnations
THE HAPPY PIE - FINALE
.
.
.
.
.
Even though the sky was somewhat gloomy, it was still the perfect time for a wedding. As the cool December breeze eased the tension in the hotel grounds, the entourage prepared for the start of the ceremonies.

The 30-piece orchestra got its signal to start. Pachelbel’s Canon in D Major filled the air as the celebrity entourage made its way towards the makeshift altar. One by one they marched slowly, languidly to the hallowed string rendition. Jake and his parents were up first, followed by the principal and secondary sponsors, then bridesmaids and the flower girls and lastly, the ring bearer. As the last of the young kids reached the front, all of the other guests stood up in anticipation of the bride’s march. They all awaited in bated breaths for Kim to emerge. As the chamber orchestra reached its final bars of their set piece, the conductor patiently waited for the wedding planner for the signal to begin the wedding march.

Jake, felt instantly queasy. He looked on worriedly at Marge, who just shrugged her shoulders at him from the opposite side of the venue.

All of a sudden, the orchestra started playing. From the steps of the hotel, emerged a dazzling figure in white. She looked so stunning that the entire venue had a collective gasp. She was very much like a princess – elegant and timeless. Gone now are the fake tiaras and the funny blanket cape of old. This time everything was as real as it could possibly get. Kim literally sparkled as she made herself slowly down the steps.

The music echoed as the lovely bride, accompanied by her parents, slowly walked towards the altar. Jake, on the other hand, felt extremely relieved. Flashbulbs from the press people’s cameras simultaneously blasted in a dizzying frenzy, blinding Kim temporarily. She revelled in those rare moments of distraction.

As Kim walked lingeringly towards the altar, her eyes blurred from the tears. Thoughts tore her deep inside. The emotions she was feeling was so overwhelming, she had to hold on to her father for support. Everything was so surreal!

She had thought of the priest’s gift. Childhood scenes flashed before her eyes and the image of the boy next door disturbed her senses. She tried to digress the meaning of it all. What was the priest trying to tell her? More importantly, what was fate trying to reveal to her? Yet, the more she walked towards Jake, the less time she had to think. She had to cast the thought aside as she reached the foot of the altar.

Kim forced herself to smile. Her mom, feeling that her daughter was a bit distressed, rubbed her arm for comfort. Kim kissed her parents and walked towards him. Jake took her hand, sealing her fate to an eternity of despair.

There wasn`t any dry eye left in the venue as Kim finally reached Jake. Everyone cried for different reasons. A number genuinely cared, some cried for publicity, others cried because others did as well. But, Kim cried because she was heartbroken ... and the man she imagined waiting for her at the altar, was not the man standing there now.

Father Charles, on cue, started the wedding rites. His deep, full voice bellowed in the air.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God to join together this Man and this Woman in holy Matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of God in Paradise, and into which holy estate these two persons present come now to be joined...”

Kim looked at Jake... for mercy. He looked at her possessively. She had her gloved hand by his arm. He placed his hand over it, securing his hold on her.

The priest continued,

“Therefore if any man can show any just cause, why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him now speak, or else hereafter for ever hold his peace. ..”

Everyone looked around...Jake included.

No brave man stood up.

“Nobody?” Father Charles asked candidly.

Kim’s eyes widened. The priest's funny quip elicited snickers from the crowd.

“Oh well, “ Father Charles exclaimed. “Let us continue...”

He then faced Jake.

“Will thou have this Woman to be thy wedded wife, to livetogether in the holy estate of Matrimony? Will thou love her, comfort her, honour, and keep her, in sickness and in health; and forsaking all other, keep thee only unto her, so long as you both shall live? ”

Jake squeezed her hand and said, “I do.”

The priest faced Kim. The priest had this piercing look about him, she felt almost guilty.

“Will thou have this man to be thy wedded husband, to live together in the holy estate of Matrimony? Will thou obey him, and serve him, love, honour, and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him, so long as you both shall live?”

Kim softly said, “ I do.”

The rest of the ceremonies became such a blur to Kim. At that point, she was devoid of emotions. She had been crying all day for the last ten days. It came a point that she felt empty. Her life was now pointless and meaningless.

It was time for the priest to call in the ring bearer.

The boy of four, slowly made his way up the altar. He raised the little pillow he was holding. Father Charles placed his hands over them and said,

“Bless these Rings, O merciful Lord, that those who wear them, that give and receive them, may be ever faithful to one another, remain in your peace, and live and grow old together in your love, Amen.”

He took one ring and placed it on Jakes palm. Jake took the ring and as he slipped it to Kim’s finger, said... “Kim, With this Ring I thee wed, and with my body I thee honor and with all my worldly goods I thee endow... In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

It was now Kim’s turn.

Her heart was beating so hard. She thought, “This is it. It’s over...”

She then began her spiel.

“Jake, with this KEY I thee wed...”Kim recited absentmindedly.

“Key?” Jake asked, looking down at her palm.

Much to Kim’s surprise (and Jake’s too), on her palm, was the key to her heart.

Kim was so overwrought that she didn’t notice that instead of a ring, the priest has placed a special key in her hand! She looked down on the dainty object on her shaking hand. The key looked very, very familiar!


Then, her memories of her childhood flooded her mind once more. The little boy she made a promise with, filled every lasting gap in her imagination. Everything fell instantly into place. She remembered the Gerald Alejandro who lived by the sea. He was the same Gerald Alejandro that swept her off her feet the second time. They are one and the same! And the key! It was a key she was hoping to see all her life! Tears fell incessantly from her eyes as she clutched the key tightly.

Kim closed her eyes and said, almost in a whisper... “Sorry, I forgot...!”

Jake was a picture of disbelief! He then looked suspiciously at Father Charles. The jolly priest just shrugged his shoulder.

“What is going on?!” Jake shouted. “Kim! What the hell is going on?!”

The guests are now as bewildered as the groom. The press, meanwhile, was loving every minute of it. It was the wedding glitch of the century.

Kim opened her eyes and her thoughts were as clear as ever, she knew what she needed to do. She looked at the priest and Father Charles gave her a wink. Kim finally looked up to Jake. She placed her hand on his cheek and smiled.

“Thank you...” she softly said. “But, I can’t marry you Jake. I just realized that my heart belonged to somebody else...and it had always been his...and I can’t change that!”

“Kimmy, please....don’t do this to me! Not now!” Jake begged.

“Jake, you don’t deserve me. You deserve somebody better!”

“No, I don’t! I want you...” Jake said, his eyes filled with much sadness.

“You see Jake, you just want me...you don’t really LOVE me...”

With that, Kim ran down the altar...holding to her obtrusive train and her beloved key. Some people were cheering her on, others are still in shock. Jake felt his world topple over him. He slumped down by the step of the altar, his gaze blank.

Gina caught her daughter’s arm as she headed towards the hotel.

“Kimmy, what is this?! Where are you going?!”

“Mom, I need to find the chef!”

Kim shimmied her arm out of her mother’s grip. She heard her yell as she made her way down the aisle --- this time, in the opposite direction!

“Kimmy, come back! Jake!!! Make her come back!!! Stop her!!! Why the heck is she looking for the chef?!!!”

She wasn’t able to go much farther when somebody stopped her on her tracks.

It was Marge. She had on her hand a device. A GPS device.
“Here, Kimmy, you might need this...!” Marge said as she hugged Kim. “This will lead you straight to him. Follow your heart, Kimmy....”

“Thanks, Marge!” Kimmy said. “You knew all along?”

Marge simply nodded and said, “Go Kimmy, run!”

Kim ran like she has never run before. She took each step with reckless abandon. She ran as if her life depended on it, albeit the high heels and the heavy train. Tears are still falling from her eyes. But this time, they were tears of joy and anticipation. She never ever looked back!

The press people dashed after her. As she was running, camera flashes followed her, but she didn’t care. Not anymore. She was going away with the man she loves! And she was glad to leave her miserable life behind!

The venue turned into a complete pandemonium. Several chairs and tables were overturned, as guests and reporters, followed the runaway bride.

“Kimmy, were are you going?! Who are you looking for?!” the press shouted after her.

She looked down unto the GPS, the telltale dot was a mere few meters more! It led her to the parking lot at the back of the hotel. She ran and ran, holding onto her special key in fervent prayer.
.
.
.
.
.
And there he was!

Gerald was smartly dressed in a white suit...beautiful, as no man could ever be. He was standing by a white convertible, smiling at her, lovingly. He had in his hand white roses, but they sadly fell on the ground as he rushed towards her in open arms.

They met halfway in a warm embrace. Kim hugged him as tightly as she could. Gerald held her close by the waist, raising her off the ground. She was laughing and crying at the same time, as she held his face. She lowered her head and gave him a loving kiss on the head.

Suddenly, there was a collective, “aaaawwwwwwww!!!”

The press people and the curious guests stopped in their tracks the moment they saw them hug. The scene they witnessed was something so real and genuine, that they instantly understood its power. It was LOVE... and it was so pure in form, that their token intentions were reduced to guilt. As if by magic, they put down their cameras and stopped shooting. They, somehow, understood. They clapped their hands for the two. Then, they slowly headed back towards the hotel, leaving the two their privacy.

Gerald slowly put Kim back to her feet. He held her hand and looked into her eyes.

“You’re late!” Gerald said, a twinkle in his eye.

“You just don’t know how much I wanted it to be you!” Kim declared, still a bit out of breath.

“That me and Donatello are one and the same?” he smiled as he lovingly pinched her nose.

She nodded.

“Sorry...” Kim said. “I forgot all about this...”
Kim showed him the key. Tears of guilt fell from her eyes.

“Kim, you’re here because you’ve never completely forgotten...that’s the most important thing!” Gerald said as he wiped her tears away.

“You saved me...”

“As promised...”he said, kissing her forehead. “See, I told you I can be your white knight!”

“The most handsome white knight in the world...”

“And you are my most beautiful princess!”

“Oh...you got me a horse too!” Kim said looking at the white car.

“Should we ride our white horse out of here?” Gerald asked.

“Yes!” Kim said with glee.

Kim and Gerald jumped into the white convertible.

He looked at her, in all poignancy he said, “I love you, Ember.”

“I love you too...” was all she said.

And then, they kissed.
.
.
.
.
.
As they rode away from all the craziness of the world, Kim asked...

“Did you plan all that in ten days?” Kim said as her hair was blowing by the breeze.

“Yup, don’t ever underestimate the cunningness of a pastry chef!” Gerald said proudly as he sat beside her.

“I wondered how you pulled it off?!”

“I had a lot of help!” Gerald quipped.

“Marge, I knew, helped us.” Kim admitted.

“Yes, she did! And Carlo too...he was a big help. Wait, that reminds me...”

“Carlo?” Kim asked. “I didn’t see Carlo!”

“Father Charles...“

“It was him?!”

Gerald took out his cellular phone and dialled his number.

“Carlo, how is everything?”

“As well as we planned it, boss!” Carlo responded, still in character.

“What are they doing now?”

“I ordered them just now to partake of your blessed pie. I told them it will take away all the misery of their wretched lives...”

“Are they enjoying it?” Gerald asked, winking at Kim.

“Immensely, boss.” Carlo said.

He turned around and looked on the 300 guests that were served of the pie. Nobody dared to question a priest’s command. When he ordered the people to eat those tainted pies, they did!

The guests, including Jake, didn’t seem too sad now. Everyone...seemed happy! Several couples hooked up that day. Press people were dancing and laughing with each other. Fake s mingled with the fake politicians. Almost everybody forgot what had transpired. The HAPPY PIE worked its magic, one last time.

“Thanks Carlo!” Gerald remarked.

“Hey boss,” said Carlo. “I told you I can pull it off! How was my acting? Did I convince everybody?”

“Let me ask Kim!” He turned to Kim. “Did you know Carlo was Father Charles?”

“Nope, but I got the impression he was not a real priest!” Kim bantered.

“Sorry, man...Kimmy didn’t believe your act one bit!” Gerald joked to Carlo.

“Boss, what about my raise?!” Carlo screamed as Gerald turned off his phone. “Cheapskates!”

Gerald was grinning from ear to ear. He can’t believe his plan worked to perfection. Now, that the guests ate their happy pies, he hoped that the good mood from it will be enough to relieve them of their “crime.”

“You fed all of them happy pies? How ingenious!” Kim exclaimed.

“Yep, that was the plan!”

“Will it make them forget what happened?” she asked.

“Probably not,” said Gerald. “But it will probably lessen the impact of the whole thing. Just until we can make a decent escape....”

One thing bothered Kim’s mind.

“What’s with the journal?” she asked.

“Well, Carlo and I were hoping that with the journal, right then and there you would change your mind and not go on with the wedding....Had you remembered about me, Carlo would have taken you away with him. That way, we could have saved ourselves all these ruckus. However, I thought you might have forgotten about me more than you should, so I had him switch the ring with the key...which I know, you will definitely remember. You can call it a fail-safe plan.”

“So, you really thought I’m going to forget my promise?” Kim gave him a mocking glance.

“Honey, honestly...you’ve never really been good with promises, even when we’re younger!”

Kim lovingly looked at Gerald who grinned mischievously back at her. She could truly say she was the happiest girl in the world.

“Where are we going?” she asked him.

“You’ll see” he said.

“In this wedding dress?”

“Hmmm, come to think of it, why don’t we go to Vegas and get married by Elvis?”

“In your dreams! I’ve had enough of this marriage business to last me a life time! I want to go home and change!”

“Come on, that is so unromantic!” he exclaimed. “You know, I’m gunning for something!”

“Gunning for what?”

“The most romantic date ever!”

“Okay, I’m up for a date...” she said. “Do you have something else planned?”

“You’ll see...” he said, as he turned towards NAIA.
“I can’t believe I almost married that jerk. What was I thinking? I’m only 23...I have my whole life ahead of me. Marriage?! I swear! No more in the next few years !!!“ Kim berated.

“Do you think you might have room in your heart for one more marriage? In the future...” he asked.

“Maybe someday...and it will be for the last time, yes...and only with you...” she said, pinching his cheek.

“Promise?”

“Promise....” she answered.

And with that, the knight and his bride rode away into the sunset, like it always have been meant to end.

There ends the story of the princess and the clever chef. A legend that shall unfold in history as one that started and ended on a simple pie.
.
.
.
.
.
.
END