MISS COLORFUL - Chapter 11

Seven Incarnations
.
.
.

It was the night of the Star Magic Grand Ball.

All of the biggest stars of ABS-CBN were there. The hottest female actresses of local showbiz lead the parade with their figure-hugging haute couture gowns. The men were equally dashing in their dapper designer suits. The who’s who of the Philippine entertainment industry; ranging from the executives, to directors, to talent scouts, and even the entertainment press; were all there to celebrate the most awaited party of the season. Only the most important people were invited.

One of those important stars is Angel Alonzo --- the Triple A threat of Philippine showbiz. Alongside her is her rumoured, non-showbiz flame...a young business tycoon named Gerald Lagdameo.

Upon entering the prestigious hall, talk-show hosts Boy Abunda and Kris Aquino were able to corner Angel and Gerald for an interview with SNN, a locally syndicated late night showbiz talk-show.

“Angel!” greeted Kris. “I’m so glad to see you here...you look fabulous as always!”

Indeed she was. Angel’s stunning, black beaded halter-top gown radiantly covered her curvaceous body like second skin. Tiny crystals sparkled as light strikes upon them, giving her an aura of languidness befitting the y star that she was.

Gerald was brooding as well in his black tuxedo.

“Thank you, Miss Kris!” said Angel, giving the host a peck on the cheek. “You look equally beautiful...”

“Thank you...”said Kris who was now eyeing Gerald. “And who do you have with you?”

“Oh, this is my good FRIEND...Gerald Lagdameo...” Angel answered.

Gerald smirked at the term “friend.” He began to think if he indeed was her friend. Maybe, more like friends with benefits...For a lack of a better term, maybe friends would do.

“Welcome to the ball, Gerald!” the other host, Boy Abunda, greeted. “Nice meeting you...”

“Thank you, sir!” Gerald said as he shook his hand.

Kris and Boy then smiled meaningfully at each other.

“Angel, can you categorically say that he is the one person that is making you happy right now?” Kris asked.

“No comment, miss Kris...” said Angel, flashing Kris a naughty smile.

“Is he the one that replaced Sam in your heart?” Boy pried further.

“Tito Boy...I can’t answer that! Maybe later...” said Angel. “If you give me an exclusive interview...”

“Okay, okay...later then...” snapped Kris.

Somehow, Kris knew Angel was just looking for extra media mileage.

“Who are you wearing tonight?” Boy asked.

“I didn’t have time to have a dress made, Kuya Boy...it’s just off the rack...it’s Monique...” said Angel.

“Lhuiller? Wow!” Kris exclaimed. “You’re so sosyal!”

“NO...Monique Angeles in Greenhills...”

“Ahh....okay...” Kris said with a wry smile.

“Angel, speaking of interviews, why don’t we do one now while you’re here?” Boy asked. “Even just a short one for SNN!”

“Why not, Tito Boy?” said Angel.

Angel immediately cast Gerald a “what-are-you-waiting-for?” look. He smiled back at her, somewhat annoyed. Then, Gerald simply nodded his head and walked away. He walked towards the bar. He felt he needed a strong drink. It was going to be a long night for sure. Gerald somewhat understood Angel’s need to be interviewed and he was more than willing to give way. That would give him time to process his surging feelings for the girl that wasn’t there.

Back at the interview set.

“Angel, to be honest with you...I thought you were not going to show up tonight...” said Kris.

“Why not, miss Kris?” asked Angel.

“Well considering how badly you and Sam broke up several weeks ago, plus his accident yesterday...” Kris said accusingly. “I would think you would be so distraught by everything that was happening. But you look happy...despite some people blaming you for Sam’s mishap, for example.”

“What they said was actually unfair, Ms. Kris....” answered Angel. “I didn’t have anything to do with Sam’s accident.”

“People are saying that Sam was so hurt by your break-up that he got himself so drunk the other night...” explained Kris. “That is why he rammed his car into a post.”

“I can’t be responsible for his wrongdoing, Ate Kris...” answered Angel. “Plus he had a girl with him...if there was anybody to blame...it would be her not me!”

“Wow, fighting words!” said Kris.

“I noticed a hint of jealousy in that statement!” Boy added.

“Yes, Boy. I did too. Are you jealous, Angel, that Sam had actually moved on so quickly from you?” said Kris.

“I am so not jealous...” said Angel. “I just don’t like it when they think it’s all my fault. And why should I be jealous, I have the most gorgeous boyfriend in the world?”

“Okay...” said Kris uninterestingly. It was obvious to both of the hosts that Angel was indeed feeling envious.
Kris wanted to incense her further.

“Boy, did you see the pictures this morning?” asked Kris.

“Yes, I did, Krissy...” answered Boy. “All I can say is ...WOW!”

“What pictures?” asked Angel.

“There was this huge spread in the daily tabloids of Sam kissing his new girlfriend!” Kris explained. “It was so sweet!”

“Really?” said Angel, shocked.

“What is your reaction on that, Angel?”

“I...I don’t know what to say...”

“I think you’re jealous...” Kris teased.

“No I’m not!” Angel protested.

“How can you say that...eh, I can see it in your eyes!” gloated Kris.

“I agree with you, Kris!” Boy seconded.

“Wait, I can prove it...” said Angel.

She immediately stood up and motioned Gerald to come back.

Gerald nodded his head, dropped his drink and lazily went back to Angel’s side. Upon getting there, to his surprise (and everyone else’s), Angel grabbed his neck towards her and planted a big wet kiss on his mouth.

“Boy, bongga!” Kris said in shock.

Gerald surfaced out of the kiss, confused than ever. He was out of breath but in a wrong way. As gorgeous as Angel was, she really at that kiss. It was sloppy and unfeeling.

However, Angel was so pleased with herself. She smiled back at the hosts and blurted out, “See? I’m really not jealous!”

However, just as fast and controversial Angel’s move was. Something caught the attention of the entire venue. Suddenly, everyone grew tense and awestruck. Flash bulbs started erupting. It started a mini-commotion from the press people.

On the entrance of the hall, stood Sam Pascual and Kim David. They were both so gorgeous that their presence was almost blinding. Though with a cast on his right arm, Sam was so breath-taking in his white Armani suit. Kim was equally stunning in her bright, green gown. The color of her dress was so odd, only the most beautiful women can pull such off. One can say Kim pulled it off with flying colors. Her dress flowed gracefully as she descended the stairs. One older director in the crowd even commented that Kim had the same elegant quality as that of Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn.

Meanwhile, at the bottom of the stairs, Gerald suddenly grew cold. He instantly wondered if Kim saw him kissing Angel. He didn’t have to wait too long to confirm that though. Judging Kim’s piercing gaze at him, he knew that she did. IN her eyes swirled jealousy as green and angry as the color of her gown.

Kim held on to Sam’s arm like a sloth to a tree. Seeing Gerald kiss Angel, or vice versa, took away the core strength she had been counting on during moments like these. She felt weak and insignificant.

Under his gritted teeth, Sam told Kim, “Look, you have to be confident, Kim...don’t let things like that get to you...”

Kim smiled bitterly back at Sam. “She kissed him...what do you think should I do?”

“Just act like it don’t matter to you...” said Sam, smiling back at her.

Kim felt instantly relieved knowing that Sam was at her side. Who wouldn’t? Half of the people in the room were wishing they are with him instead of her. Just as her nerves were starting to act up from the envious gazes of the gay crowd, Sam slid his free hand comfortably on the small of her back.

“Thanks, I feel so much better now...” Kim said.

Sam then slid his hand down on her waist and pulled her closer.

“We’re here to enjoy, okay?” Sam reminded her.

Kim nodded in agreement. Behind her back, though, she was crossing her fingers.

.
.
.

As the newly arrived couple walked towards Gerald, Angel and the interview crew, Gerald could not keep his eyes off Kim. She was so beautiful and radiant. His heart sang at the sight of her.

Angel, on the other hand, stared malevolently at Sam and Kim. She felt that she had been upstaged again.

“Hi...glad you two could make it!” said Angel acerbically.

“We’re glad to see you too...” Sam countered, placing his arm around Kim’s shoulders.

“Wait, ha?” Kris interrupted. “I still feel there is this animosity between you two!”

“You’re right, Krissy!” Boy said. “Sam, Angel...are you two still fighting?”

“No...we’re civil!” said Angel. “Are we not?”

Sam nodded for the four of them.

“Angel...Sam...maybe it’s about time we clear the issue,” suggested Kris. “Why don’t the two of you sit for an interview with us? Let’s settle this issue once and for all!”

“For the sake of your public and your fans!” Boy added.

“What do you say, Sam?” challenged Kris.

“I agree if she agrees!” said Sam, staring down Angel.

“You know me...” said Angel confidently. “I’ve never backed down from any challenge...”

“Of course, with the permission from both of your partners...” Boy hinted.

“I’m fine with it!” Gerald said eagerly. He immediately pulled Kim’s arm. “Come on, Kim...”

Kim didn’t even have the chance to say anything as Gerald dragged her off towards the bar. Kim moaned from the tightness of his grip.

“Let me go!” Kim said. “You’re hurting me...”

Gerald ignored her. Instead, he called the bartender’s attention. “Boss, could you give us a double shot of Jack Daniels please.”

“I don’t want to drink...” Kim said.

“You have to...” Gerald answered softly. “I have to...”

The bartender gave them each a shot glass and he poured on them, the most menacing-looking liquid Kim had ever seen in her life.

“Here...drink it...” Gerald ordered.

“Not until you tell me why!” Kim said.

“Why?” Gerald wondered.

“Yes, why you wanted to drink so badly?”

“Alcohol brings out the truth in people, Kim...” Gerald said with meaning. “I just want to know the truth...”

“The truth about what?”

“The truth about you and me...” Gerald said as he took his shot.

Kim followed him. Both of them grimaced as the vile liquid entered their system.

“Which truth exactly?” Kim said.

“What do you mean which truth?”

“You said you want to know the truth about us...” Kim said, looking at him intently. “Which version of the truth would you like to hear?”

“The one from your heart...” said Gerald.

“Okay, what about us? There is no us...never been...never will be...”

“I want the less cynical version...” said Gerald. “What does your heart really say?”

“Ha! My heart is overrated. It can’t be trusted. It’s both stupid and angry...” Kim said, her eyes full of fury.

“Why is your heart stupid and angry? Because it loved me?”

“It regrets the day that it ever beat for you. That’s the truth...”

“Kim...sorry,” Gerald muttered. “I didn’t intend for you to feel like this!”

Kim immediately wiped off the rebellious tear that flowed on her cheek by its lonesome.

“Enough of that! Now, it’s my turn!” Kim announced. She immediately waived to the bartender. “I need two more shots please...”

“Kim, I said...I’m sorry...” Gerald repeated.

The waiter placed their drinks in front of them.

“Drink,” Kim ordered.

Gerald was reluctant. But soon, they both took their shots.

“Now, tell me...” Kim said.

“What is it that you want to know?”

“What does your heart really say about me?” Kim asked.

“My heart says you’re...special...” Gerald replied.

Suddenly, a crisp slap hit Gerald’s whitened face. Kim hit him with so much force, Gerald staggered in his seat.

Kim, immediately stood up, not minding the fifty pairs of eyes staring at her.

“I told you my heart is both stupid and angry!” she exclaimed.

Gerald couldn’t move from the shock of it. The emotional blow he received proved to be even more confounding.
Kim then rushed out of the room. There was a hushed silence that followed her hasty exit.

.
.
.

The rest of the night, the couples avoided one another. Following the actor’s interview, Kim and Sam stayed on one side of the room while Gerald and Angel were on another. The moment one of the couples veered away slightly from their side, a nervous anticipation followed. The entire gathering was watching their every move.

There was something about Kim’s slap that brought a moment of clarity to Gerald’s head. He couldn’t stop thinking about what she said. As Gerald was dancing with Angel, he had a sudden breakthrough. It was as if a light bulb appeared out of nowhere, illuminating his ever clouded judgment. It was the most perfect moment of pure realization...it was almost divine. He knew he needed to do something...immediately.

“Angel, there is something I need to tell you...” said Gerald.

“What is it, darling?”

“This is not...working out...you and I...”

“What’s not working?” Angel said cluelessly.

“You and I...everything!”

“Wait, are you trying to break up with me?”
Gerald nodded.

Angel belched out a sinister laugh. “You son of a b*tch! You’re breaking up with me? In the middle of the most important party in all of the Philippines?”

Gerald once again nodded.

Another slap hits Gerald face. The crowd collectively grimaced in pain for him.

“Nobody breaks up with me in a party!” shrieked Angel.

“I’m sorry...” Gerald said. “I think I love somebody else...”

“Whhaaaat!!!?

“Angel...I’m sorry...”

“I can’t allow somebody like you to break up with me! You’re nothing without me. You were nothing when I took you in. You were a pathetic loser working for a pathetic company. I knew you were just a no good geek pretending to be a rich guy! But despite of that, I took you in...as a favour for you! And you have the nerve to do this to me? I don’t deserve this! I don’t deserve you!”

Angel grabbed another lady’s wine glass and threw its contents on to Gerald’s suit. The crowd collectively gasped once more.

Kim and Sam, like the rest, moved towards the fighting couple. The crowd gathered around them in a tight circle.

Gerald was now looking at Angel with outmost disgust.

“Who are we kidding here?” replied Gerald. “You used me too. You used me to make your ex-boyfriend jealous. I may have been a liar, but I never used anybody. That makes you more pathetic than I am...”

“That is not true...”

“Stop acting like you’re all innocent, Angel” Gerald roared. “You’re as bad at it like in your films!”

Gerald tuned his heels and started walking away from her. There were several snickers from the crowd.

“Come back here! Take back what you said!” Angel shouted after him.

Gerald ignored her. He continued to make his way out of the crowd.

“You can’t break up with me!”

“Watch me!” Gerald said as he walked out the door.

.
.
.

Angel was left in the middle of the room, crying like a hyena. She huffed and puffed endlessly. Black mascara tainted her beautiful face as alligator tears fell endlessly from her eyes. The crowd gathered around her. Most were sympathetic of her. If there was one role she pegged perfectly, it was what she was playing now. In the eyes of many, she was once again the “jilted girlfriend.” She was once again...BIDA (protagonist).

Kim just sneered at her. She knew she was faking it.

“Did you guys see what he did?” Angel said, begging for empathy from the crowd.

Several young actresses, like brainless groupies, moved in closer and gave her a supporting hug.

“You’re much better off without him, ate!” said one starlet.

The gesture made Angel wail even more. She was basking in her limelight. The press was more than willing to take in every sordid second of it.

Suddenly, with tears on her eyes, Angel raised her head towards Kim and Sam.

“Sam...help me...” said Angel beseechingly. “I’m so hurt...”

Kim, immediately cast her glance back at Sam.

Her initial reaction was that of shock. She didn’t like what she saw from him.

“Oh ...” Kim said on the inside. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing. She really wanted to say, “What the is happening here?”

There were tears on Sam’s eyes. He was looking at Angel like she was an injured, stray puppy, needing of a gullible master. It was obvious that he was buying her story. He was falling for her act...hook, line and sinker! He seemed like he was lost in this endless trance...like no amount of reality check can ever put him back to his senses.

“Can I have my boyfriend back now?” Angel said to Kim. She said it so casually, it was like she was only asking for a toy back instead of an actual human being.

To Kim’s further surprise, Sam let go of her hand. He then stepped away from Kim and slowly moved towards Angel. It was almost too dramatic. Finally, Sam reached Angel’s waiting arms. They met in a theatrical embrace.

The crowd went ballistic. The rest of the room were ecstatic. Cheers and wolf-whistles followed.

All of a sudden, like a bad scene from a telenovela, Sam and Angel kissed lips to lips, in front of the camera and of the whole Philippines watching via satellite.

“I can’t believe you did that for me!” Sam said. “And it worked, I was so jealous when you were with him...”

“I only did that, honey, because I was hurt by what you did...” Angel answered. “But I realized that I still love you...and that never changed.”

They once again kissed each other. This time, more tearfully than ever before. The crowd loved it.

Meanwhile, Kim felt alone and neglected. Gradually, she was pushed back as more and more people wanted to see the golden couple getting back together. It was as if she didn’t exist, cast aside like a can of vegetable in a sea of canned meat. It was the most embarrassing moment in her brief life. Kim was, like most times before, insignificant.

Kim ran away with all her might. She ran like she never ran before --- away from all the madness her temporary, superficial world was dealing her. It was only from borrowed time that she had entered “their” world. She knew that the day will come that she will have to face her own reality again. She just didn’t expect that she would come running back, arms with open, to her once dreary world...and at the helm of the door --- the door to her real self --- was Gerald.

.
.
.

As Kim ran away from the venue...Gerald was waiting for her at the parking lot.

“Kim!” Gerald shouted as ran after her.

Kim eventually stopped. She was too exhausted to go on.

As soon as he reached her, Gerald embraced her with all his might.

Kim struggled to catch her breath. It was terribly hard to find oxygen during moments like that. Can you imagine? After the running that she did, and then crying that she did, then add to that, Gerald’s taut body pressing against her...Kim felt feint.

Gerald brushed her tears away.

“Don’t cry, Kim...I’m here now...” Gerald said.

There was something in what he said that made Kim cringe. She shook her head in dismay.

“Stay away from me...” Kim murmured.

“Kim...why?” Gerald softly pleaded.

Gerald then made one more attempt to hug her, but Kim held her arm out.

“I said stay away...don’t you ever come near me again!”

“Kim, what did I do?” Gerald said.

Kim stared at him, her eyes disbelieving. “You caused all these, you prick! It’s all because of you that I’m hurting like hell! You were the source of every problem that I ever had!”

“That is not true!”

“Don’t you remember, Gerald? You made me agree to your crazy scheme! It’s all because of this brilliant plan of yours that I got really hurt! ”

“I shouldn’t have dragged you into this, Kim. I know that now!”

“But, stupid me! I agreed to everything you said...despite knowing that one day I may get hurt like I do now. But you see, Gerald? I still freakin’ did it! You know why?

Gerald was silent and in awe.

“Because I loved you...”

Her admission shattered Gerald into a million pieces.

“And where did that stupid love lead me now?” Kim said mockingly.

“Kim, we never thought this would all come to this...”

“You don’t get it, do you?” Kim said in frustration.

“Kim, please, tell me...” said Gerald, holding her arms
desperately.

Kim pounded on his chest as she said:

“How could you? How could you be so...insensitive? The least that you could have done was to tell me what you really felt. Here I was, almost degrading my entire being for you...while you...you were a coward, Gerald! You can’t even admit it to yourself that you love me. I hate you Gerald! I really hate myself for loving you that much!”

Gerald hugged her with all his might. Tears started to fall from his eyes too.

“I was a coward, Kim. I admit that. I was confused. I have never felt this for anybody before. And yes, I got scared! I was afraid I might say or do the wrong thing with you...and I will lose you...and that is something I could not allow myself to do. Believe me, Kim, in the middle of all this madness, it was then I realized, I couldn’t live without you...”

Kim pulled back and said, “You couldn’t live without me? But didn’t you say you were confused before? How could you be so sure now? You are the one person that doesn’t seem to know what he wants...”

“I want YOU, Kim!”

“You want me?” Kim said sarcastically. “How could I believe you now, Gerald? After what you did to me?”

“But Kim, I know now. I know now that it was YOU all along...Deep inside this foolish, stupid, crazy heart of mine...I love you, Kim...” Gerald admitted. “Believe me...please...”

Kim looked at him with turmoil and bewilderment battling in her eyes. “I don’t think I can, Gerald...”

“But, Kim...I love you...”

“My heart is tired from loving you, Gerald. You are one exhausting person to love. You are there one day, then gone another. I’m tired of running after you. Yes, I have waited for this day to come all my life...I dreamed many times that you are standing there in front of me...professing your love for me. But, fortunately, I woke up from that stupid dream. I woke up in time to realize that my heart just grew tired of waiting...waiting for you...”

“Kim, it’s not too late...it’s never too late! I can make it up to you!” Gerald said. “I really, really LOVE you...”

“You could have said that sooner,” Kim said, turning away from him. “But you didn’t...”

And then, she was gone.

.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
TWO more to go!

(SOSCI - salamat sa pag-point out ng mistake. He he he. The editing is really going south nowadays. Kasi naman i try to put it out as fast as I can. Minsan, di ko na finu-full edit. Nira-rough check ko na lang. Thanks uli. Thanks for commenting too...)