MISS COLORFUL - Chapter 10

Seven Incarnations
.
.
.
.

The rest of the day proved to be uneventful for Kim.
By the time the press was ushered out of the room, she was dead tired. True to its very weak form, her body soon gave way to sleep.

The moment she woke up, the glad and happy faces of Joross and Mimi greeted her.

“Hi, Kim...musta ka na? (how are you?)” said Joross.

Kim struggles to sit up. The two were quick enough to help her.

“Kim, you don’t have to get up...” reminded Mimi, whose eyes are bloodshot from crying.

“What time is it?” Kim asked.

“It’s eleven in the morning...” answered Joross.

“Really?...I didn’t realize I’ve slept that long...” groaned Kim. “I didn’t even hear you guys come in.”

“Yeah...we came at eight...we thought you’d never wake up!” said Joross.

“How did you guys know I was here?” asked Kim.

“Let’s just say the young handsome guy from the other night came into the store this morning and informed us...” Mimi answered.

“Who? Gerald? He came to the store?” Kim asked in disbelief.

“Yes!” said Mimi. “We got so worried about you...good thing he told us that you were already out of danger!”

“Who’s managing the store now?” Kim queried.

“Sasha is, she said it’s best we come here and take care of you. She said she can take care of the store by herself for a few hours while we’re gone,” explained Joross. “You know Sasha...between her friends and money...she’ll choose money...”

“Joross...you’re salbahe!” Mimi countered rapidly. “What Sasha said was that she will take care of the store for us because she knew we are both nursing graduates...so we are better off here than her...”

“Wouldn’t that amount to the same thing?” said Joross. “She abandoned Kim in her time of need...”

“Abandoned?” said Mimi, aghasted. “Sasha was actually making a sacrifice. In as much as she wanted to see Kim, she’ll put it off because she knows Kim might need us more...”

“She’s not that self-less...” commented Joross, his eyes were rolling.

“Why don’t I tell Sasha that you said that about her?” Mimi said.

“Are you out of your freaking mind?” exclaimed Joross. “She’ll kill me!”

“Then, stop it...” answered Mimi. “Can’t you see you’re distressing Kim... err, right Kimmy?”

Kim was not paying attention. She was lost in her thoughts.

“Me...distressing Kim?” said Joross. “Looks like I don’t even have to try...she looks pretty distressed herself as of the moment, right Kim?”

“Huh...what?” said Kim absentmindedly. “What did you say?”

“Joross said you look distressed...”

“No I’m not...” denied Kim.

“I hate to admit it but Joross is right. You were a bit spaced out, what’s wrong?” asked Mimi.

“Oh, nothing! I was just wondering...what else did...Gerald say?” Kim said, wishfully thinking her friends didn’t pick up her interest in the matter.

As always, no amount of controversies ever escapes the two. They looked at Kim knowingly.

.
.
.

By lunchtime, Kim was fully released from the hospital. She passed by Sam’s room hoping to say goodbye to him. But his room was empty, which meant one thing. He had left the hospital without even saying goodbye to her.

At about two in the afternoon, Kim and the gang finally reached their home base. They had returned to the flower shop looking emotionally exhausted.

I was so glad to see Kim of course. I hugged her with all my might, the moment she stepped into the door.

“Kimmy, friend, are you okay?” I asked her. “We were so worried about you!”

“Thanks for the concern, friend,” she answered. “And yes, I’m perfectly fine...all my bones are intact.”

“I’m glad,” I said. The truth was, we were all so relieved she was okay. Kim was the youngest in our group. She was like our little sister. She, of all people, we didn’t want to see hurt. I almost teared up from our brief exchange.

“Look guys, I’m fine...no more need to worry!” said Kim, wiping the tears forming from my eyes.

Then suddenly, Kim notices a bright spot on one side of our shop. One of our counters, was filled with several bouquets of flowers and a number of colourfully wrapped boxes. There were candy packages and a couple stuffed animals too. Kim’s eyes instantly brightened.

“For whom are these for?” Kim asked.

“They are for you...” I said coldly.

“From whom?” said Kim excitedly. “Was it from Gerald?”

“Gerald?” I answered. “Ewww...no! They’re from your actor lover...”

“Sam?” said Kim, her body language somewhat spelled disappointment.

“Wow, Kimmy! You’re Papa Sam is so bongga!” Mimi exclaimed.

Joross and Mimi suddenly burst into excited chatter. They immediately attacked the packages without regard to Kimmy’s sudden coldness. I was the only one that noticed it.

“Kimmy, what’s wrong?” I asked.

“Nothing...” Kim answered, her voice lukewarm. “Nothing really...I’m just tired...”

Kim, almost immediately, walked off the front office to go to the backroom. She didn't even look back at her presents. The air she left was so cold, I felt almost chilly.

Her hasty departure, made me instantly question Joross and Mimi.

“Guys, what happened?” I asked. “Why is Kimmy acting like that?”

“Why, what’s wrong?” Joross asked, his mouth was full of the chocolates Sam sent.

I flashed him a disgusted look.

“I’m hungry...” Joross explained.

I turned to Mimi instead, who was busy reading the note Sam sent with the gifts. A giddy smile was on her face.

“Mimi, why is Kimmy so interested with this Gerald fellow all of a sudden?” I asked.

“Sash, according to Kim...it was really Gerald who saved her,” Mimi answered.

“So?”

“What do you mean, SO?”

“Well, I don’t get it...” I said. “ I mean, two days ago he almost shattered her apart. Just because he saved her life, that doesn’t mean she’ll have to forgive him like that? For all it’s worth, it’s almost karmatic justice that he saved her. It’s just right for him to do that after what he did to her!”

“Sash...who knows? She might have already forgiven him,” said Mimi. “Kim told us that she and Gerald had a little talk early this morning...they might have patched things up from there.”

“It’s just not right!” I exclaimed. “Men like that shouldn’t get away with it so easily...”

"I agree..." said Mimi. "My vote is for Sam!"

“Maybe Gerald is not as bad as we think he is...” Joross added.

I shot him a murderous look. “Whose side are you on?”

“Yours?” he answered.

“Good...” I said, wheeling around towards the backroom. “I need to talk to Kim...”

“Bully...” I heard Joross whisper upon my dramatic exit.

.
.
.

“Wow, this is lovely!” said Mimi, pulling up the bright green strapless gown Sam sent together with his gifts.

“Is that what you’re going to wear for tomorrow’s Star Magic Ball?” asked Mimi.

“I guess...that’s what the note said...” Kim answered dully.

“You’ll be very pretty in it!” I said, trying to brighten her up. “I’ve always thought green was your color...”

“It’s puke green, Sash...” said Kim scornfully.

“Yeah...it is...” I admitted.

Joross, as always, laughed his head out. "I must admit he has nice taste...no pun intended!"

We had all gathered on the back room later that evening eating our dinner. We were busy discussing Kim’s
accident and Sam’s ostentatious presents.

“You know what?” Joross said. “Sam is ALMOST okay...”

“Why’d you say that?” Mimi asked.

“Can you imagine...he sent Kimmy flowers and gifts? But he ordered them from another gift shop! What the heck was he thinking? And from, Bloomgirls of all stores! Our biggest rival!” Joross said emphatically.

The three of us nodded.

“I swear...when they delivered it earlier, I really wanted to erase that freaking smirk from that delivery guy’s freaking face!” I answered. “He was looking at me with the most irritating smile...like he was almost saying...here’s to you, .”

Mimi was in fits.

“What looney would send a bunch of flowers to a flower shop?” said Joross. “If he wanted to send Kim gifts...he should have ordered from us, right?”

“Isn’t it obvious we’re just bitter from not getting the sale?” Mimi commented.

“We are so bitter...” I added, nodding my head as I was sipping my drink.

“Yes we are...” Joross agreed with a sigh.

Mimi and I responded with a much deeper sigh of our own. Perhaps, she was thinking as I was. Despite Sam’s flaws, we still wish we had our own Sam Pascual to shower us with presents.

However, Kim was still as confused as ever in one corner. She remained stoic and inattentive in her seat.

“Kimmy...don’t tell me your still thinking about that Gerald?” I divulged.

“NO...I’m thinking about something else...” Kim answered.

“Would you like to share to us what you’re deeply thinking about, Kimmy?” Joross said.

“He almost kissed me...” Kim revealed without forethought.

“Who did?” I asked. “Sam?”

Kim shook her head. “No...Gerald.”

“I thought you weren’t thinking of him?” I irritatingly commented.

“I wasn’t...” Kim answered. “Well, not technically...I was thinking about him kissing me but I wasn’t really thinking of him in a romantic kind of way like you all think I do...gosh, do I even make sense?”

All three of us shook our heads.

“Basta...” Kim said obstinately.

“Kimmy, all I can say is that Gerald is no good for you!” I said firmly. “He broke your heart once, what guarantee do you have that he won’t do it again?”

Kim was visibly torn in her thoughts. One can see that something inside her was fighting for release. If I was right, her feelings for Gerald are taking on new wings. I was so afraid that would happen eventually.

“How about Sam, Kim?” I asked.

"Yes, Kim. How about Sam?" Mimi added, moving closer.

“Well...he is super nice...” Kim said. “And he kissed me too...”

“Oh my God! Sam kissed you? When?!!!” barraged Mimi.

“This morning, at the hospital...in front of everybody...” Kim said with a terse smile.

“Wow, you almost had two kisses in one day!” Joross said in between munches. “Too bad, Gerald wasn’t able to kiss you too...then you could have compared which kiss was better...”

Kim flashed Joross a disgruntled look.

“What did I do?” Joross said, taking a generous bite of his skewered chicken intestines.

The three of us girls, gave shook our heads at him. He could never really understand how we think and function.

“Why didn’t you tell us, sis?” I asked.

“I guess it slipped my mind...”

“Slipped your mind?” Mimi said derisively. “A major celebrity kissing you slipped your mind? That’s ridiculous! Where did he kiss you?”

“Like I said...in the hospital!” Kim confirmed.

“I didn’t mean that...I meant which part of you did he kiss?” Mimi asked.

Kim pointed shyly to her lips.

"What? You made out with Sam in public?" said Mimi, her eyes stretched out of their limits. "You lucky, girl!"

"It wasn't really making out...it was only like...a few seconds..." Kim answered. "It happened really fast I didn't quite expect it."

Mimi could almost faint in envy. I, however, was sceptic about its impact on Kim.

“How was it?” I asked.

Kim looked at me guiltily. She knew that I do very well know how she felt.

“It was nice...” Kim said instead.

“No fireworks?"

Kim took a moment, then she shook her head.

"No moist loins, no butterflies at all, huh?” I added.

Kim shook her head once more, looking at me knowingly.

“No magic...” Kim sighed.

That’s when I knew I was fighting a losing cause. This girl is once again back in love with the man across the street. The man she had abhorred not quite a few days ago, is once again the front runner to the race for her heart.

.
.
.

It was already past ten in the evening. As we were closing the door to the shop, a desperate knock was heard on the front door.

I was first to the door, with Joross and Mimi following behind me. Kim was at the back of the store, gathering her presents to take home.

It was Gerald, looking erstwhile crestfallen --- like he had not had a drop of sleep the entire day.

“I was wondering if I could speak to Kim...” he said weakly.

“She’s coming out in a few minutes...” I said. “If you don’t mind, we’d like to talk to you too...”

Gerald nodded. I pulled him aside.

“Look, I heard of what you did to Kim. We really thank you for saving her life...” I started.

“It was nothing...” Gerald answered humbly.

“But that doesn’t mean we will forget about what you did to her the other day, Gerald...” I added.

Gerald’s face instantly became stern. He looked hurt. “I’m really sorry that happened...I was foolish...”

“Before we let you talk to her...promise me one thing,” I said firmly. “If you hurt her once more... promise me you will never ever step foot in this part of Makati ever again. Because if I see you doing so, you’re going to wish you’d crawl back to your mother’s womb after I'm done with you, okay? Are we clear on that? Do we understand each other?”

Gerald swallowed a big gulp as a result of my threat. He then held out his hand, “Okay, deal...”

I took his hand and firmly shook it.

“Kimmy!” I shouted. “You have somebody here who wants to talk to you...”

“Who is it...” Kim said absent-mindedly as she stepped out of the backroom. She staggered in her tracks as she saw Gerald.

“Kim, we’re gonna go ahead...” Joross announced.

“Yes...see you later...” Kim said, her eyes glued to Gerald.

We literally had to drag Mimi out of the shop with us. This time, we thought, they needed their much-needed privacy.

.
.
.

“Why are you here?” Kim asked Gerald. She had in her arm the gifts Sam gave to her.

“I just came here to see if you were alright...” Gerald said.

“Yes...I’m fine...” Kim answered. “I think...”

Gerald suddenly notices the stuff on her arms. He said, “Lots of gifts...people must really love you...”

“These were from Sam...” Kim answered too eagerly.

Gerald looked disappointed from what he heard her say. His eyes were focused intently on the gifts. In his mind, Sam kissing Kim played on endlessly.

“He’s a generous guy...” he commented.

“And so you were...with your other girls...” Kim said mockingly.

“I always forget that you know me too well...” Gerald said sheepishly. He then tucked his hands in his trouser pockets.

A few, awkward and silent moments passed.

“I need to get home...” Kim said. “Is there anything else important that you’d want to say to me?”

Gerald really wanted to say what was inside his heart, but he couldn’t.

He wanted to say how strongly he was feeling for her...how fast he was falling for her. But, something held him back. The fear of Kim seeing right through him made him think twice of admitting his real feelings for her. He didn’t trust himself. What if he hurt her again like he easily did a few days ago? Looking at her...how vulnerable-looking she was...he didn’t have the heart to make her life more complicated than what it was today. That’s all he was to her...a complication. Gerald had to muster a great amount of energy to admit that deep inside. In as much as he loved her, it would be best for her sake to just...let her go.

“Gerald, please, don’t waste my time...” Kim said impatiently.

“No Kim...I won’t do that...” Gerald muttered.

“So, why don’t you just say what you came here to say!”

“I just wanted to say how happy I was that you were alright...”

“Is that it?”

“Yes, Kim. That’s all I came here to say...” Gerald said, bowing his head down in regret.

Kim looked at him with her eyes glistening from tears. “Really...is that all you have to say? Are you sure there’s absolutely nothing more?”

Gerald shook his head. “Nothing more...”

Kim ran out of the shop as fast as she could. By the street corner, where we were waiting for her, she finally broke down in tears.

.
.
.
.
.

whew! three more chaps to go...